Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff face competition for Dion Sanderson

Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:58 pm

Cardiff and Sheffield Wednesday eyeing Wolves star

Sheffield Wednesday are keeping closes tabs on Wolves' Dion Sanderson.

Yorkshire Live report that the Owls are big admirers of the 20-year-old, who spent the latter half of the 2019/20 campaign on loan with Cardiff City.

However the Bluebirds, who entertain Wednesday in their league opener a week on Saturday, are also interested in re-signing Sanderson on a season long-loan.

Rotherham United and Huddersfield Town have also been heavily linked with Sanderson.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Cardiff have competition for Dion Sanderson

Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:01 pm

Sheffield Wednesday set to battle Cardiff City for Wolves youngster

By Jack Mitchison

Wednesday 2nd September 2020

Sheffield Wednesday are set to rival Cardiff City in pursuit of a loan deal for Wolverhampton Wanderers’ young defender Dion Sanderson.

Yorkshire Live have today reported that the Owls are extremely interested in securing Sanderson’s signature but face competition from Cardiff, who may hold an advantage over their Sky Bet Championship rivals due to the fact that Sanderson spent the second half of the 2019/20 season on loan at the Welsh club.

Sanderson only has one year left on his contract at Wolves, but he was quoted in August as saying he believes another loan move is what will be best for his career.

As quoted by Yorkshire Live, the 20-year old versatile defender said: “I only played nine games at Cardiff so I think going out on loan again would be best for me, for my development and my career.

“At this moment in time it’s just about focusing on my football and what’s going to happen next, where I’m going to go. It’s about improving myself. When my contract comes to an end there’ll be more talks about what’s going to happen but for the time being I’m just focusing on my football.”

Sheffield Wednesday are not the only Yorkshire club interested in Sanderson, with reports suggesting that both Rotherham United and Huddersfield Town are also monitoring the player ahead of the start of the new season.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:07 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Cardiff and Sheffield Wednesday eyeing Wolves star

Yorkshire Live report that the Owls are big admirers of the 20-year-old, who spent the latter half of the 2019/20 campaign on loan with Cardiff City.

However the Bluebirds, who entertain Wednesday in their league opener a week on Saturday, are also interested in re-signing Sanderson on a season long-loan.

Rotherham United and Huddersfield Town have also been heavily linked with Sanderson.

No choice. Has to be us

:D :bluebird:

Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:26 pm

Big Hill Blue wrote:

No choice. Has to be us

Here’s hoping, showed plenty of potential last season :bluescarf:

Re: Cardiff face competition for Dion Sanderson

Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:36 pm

Why would he want to go to a club that start the season -12 pts ???
When he would be better off with the club he played for last season ( and are going up !! ) ;)

Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:36 pm

Big Hill Blue wrote:

No choice. Has to be us

He now knows the club having spent time here,so could well choose us again :thumbup: don't let that Jack cnut at Wednesday gazump us :? :old: :bluebird:

Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:03 am

Perhaps he is worried about game time with us having the Gooner lad here? Apart from that, c'mon lad, you know you want to :ayatollah:

Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:46 am

Sheffield Wednesday join Cardiff and Huddersfield in race for Wolves man

By Ned Holmes

03/09/2020

Sheffield Wednesday have reportedly joined the race for Wolves defender Dion Sanderson with Cardiff City, Huddersfield Town, and Rotherham United also thought to be keen.

The Owls had a busy day yesterday, signing both Elias Kachunga and Josh Windass, and though Garry Monk has suggested no further moves are close it appears there are more players on their radar.

According to Yorkshire Live, Wednesday are monitoring Sanderson closely and are great admirers of the Wolves defender.

They’re not the only Championship club keen, however, as it is understood that Cardiff, Huddersfield and Rotherham are also keen on the 20-year-old.

Sanderson, who is capable of playing as centre-back, full-back or wing-back, spent the second half of the 2019/20 campaign on loan with the Bluebirds – featuring 10 times and helping them qualify for the play-offs.

A product of the Wolves academy, the defender has a fair amount of experience for the Midlands club’s age-group sides but has featured just once at senior level, playing all 90 minutes in the 2-1 EFL Cup fourth round defeat to Aston Villa last season.

The Verdict

If Wednesday can win the race for Sanderson, this looks as though it could be a very smart bit of business.

The 20-year-old is a bright prospect and got up to speed at Championship level pretty quickly at Cardiff last term, which should give Monk no doubts about his capability this season should he join the club.

His versatility would be a real bonus for the Owls boss, making him an ideal defender to bring in as cover – though you feel if given a chance he may well win a starting spot.

The recent exit of Matt Doherty, who left Wolves to join Tottenham, could make the Premier League club more cautious of letting him go.

Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:11 am

TopCat CCFC wrote:Why would he want to go to a club that start the season -12 pts ???
When he would be better off with the club he played for last season ( and are going up !! ) ;)

Possibly he will feel neither Cardiff or Sheffield Wednesday are going to be promoted next season. Obviously we have a much better chance than Sheffield Wednsday whose chances of going up are virtually non existent. Ultimately he may not be bothered about either club being promoted as he is only on loan and be more concerned about how many games he gets.

I wonder if he will be loaned out at all now that Wolves have sold Matt Doherty their first choice right back to Tottenham. Amazingly Sanderson still seems to be behind two other players despite Doherty being sold. Also he may not have much say in the matter and if Wolves want him to go to Sheffield he will have to go there.

Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:20 am

Crayfish wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:Why would he want to go to a club that start the season -12 pts ???

Possibly he will feel neither Cardiff or Sheffield Wednesday are going to be promoted next season. Obviously we have a much better chance than Sheffield Wednsday whose chances of going up are virtually non existent. Ultimately he may not be bothered about either club being promoted as he is only on loan and be more concerned about how many games he gets.

I wonder if he will be loaned out at all now that Wolves have sold Matt Doherty their first choice right back to Tottenham. Amazingly Sanderson still seems to be behind two other players despite Doherty being sold. Also he may not have much say in the matter and if Wolves want him to go to Sheffield he will have to go there.

yep Wolves will have a big say in this if not all the say and much will come down to factors like promised game time and of course money...

Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:38 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but we've just signed a right back on loan? Why would we get another one.

Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:29 pm

nubbsy wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but we've just signed a right back on loan? Why would we get another one.

Also today harris Harris saying hes after a no10 no mention of right back! And doesn't bacuna fill in st back as well?

Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:29 pm

nubbsy wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but we've just signed a right back on loan? Why would we get another one.

Also today harris Harris saying hes after a no10 no mention of right back! And doesn't bacuna fill in at the back as well?

Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:01 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

Also today harris Harris saying hes after a no10 no mention of right back! And doesn't bacuna fill in st back as well?

Just an easy way the media can make up a story because he was previously linked.

Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:35 pm

I think this ship has sailed with the signing of the arsenal lad ,would prefer a winger and a attacking midfielder tbh

Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:46 pm

wez1927 wrote:I think this ship has sailed with the signing of the arsenal lad ,would prefer a winger and a attacking midfielder tbh

Could be right wez - But he would be mad to go to Sheff Weds :shock:

Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:59 am

pembroke allan wrote:

He does and I thought Bacuna did a decent job at RB when Sanderson was dropped. With the Arsenal lad added in I’d say this is a non story.

Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:19 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

He does and I thought Bacuna did a decent job at RB when Sanderson was dropped. With the Arsenal lad added in I’d say this is a non story.

Bacuna dropping in at RB leaves us pretty short in midfield - especially with Tomlin and Ralls out. Sanderdon could still provide cheap cover at CB and RB