Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Here is how each Bluebird rated in the defeat by Northampton

Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:01 pm

The sorry Cardiff City player ratings as defence and attack completely fail in Northampton Town defeat

Here is how each Bluebird rated in the defeat by Northampton Town

By Glen Williams

Saturday 5th September 2020

Cardiff City's players struggled against physical Northampton Town (Image: Ben Evans/Huw Evans Agency)
Alex Smithies 6 (star man)

Made two top-class saves in the first half to keep Cardiff in the game. None of the goals particularly his fault.

Sean Morrison 5

Was bombarded with a number of aerial balls which were sent his way at Sixfields. Playing the high line just didn't suit him. Not his usual, composed self.

Sol Bamba 4

Looked off the pace. Really struggled to impose himself on any of the opposition attackers. A tough afternoon for a very experienced defender.

Curtis Nelson 4

Caught out a couple of times with balls over the top. Didn't enjoy the physical battle.

Jordi Osei-Tutu 4

Defended well up until conceding that penalty. Missed a gilt-edged one-on-one chance in the first half.

Jordi Osei-Tutu of Cardiff City (Image: Ben Evans/Huw Evans Agency)
Leandro Bacuna 4

Was harassed and harried in the middle of the park and found it difficult to deal with at times. Couldn't impact the game at either end, really. Booked for petulance.

Marlon Pack 4

Northampton enjoyed so much time in the space in and around where he should have been marshalling. Couldn't get a hold on proceedings.

Joe Bennett 5

Despite playing wing back he stuck to his defensive duties well. Was shoved off the ball too easily for one Northampton chance in the second half.

Josh Murphy 6

City's most dangerous player, for the most part. But just couldn't produce that final moment of quality to make it count.

Robert Glatzel 5

Largely anonymous, really. Struggled against the physical Northampton defence. Missed a sitter from yards out when he headed over the bar but toiled in the second half.

Junior Hoilett 4

Another who really struggled to have an effect on the game and did not seem to be up for this one.

Subs

Tom Sang (on for Bamba 67) 6

Actually looked pretty bright when he came on. Tried his best to get forward and fizzed in a couple of decent crosses.

Greg Cunningham (on for Bennett 67) 5

DIdn't do a lot to impact the game, but good to see him on the field again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Here is how each Bluebird rated in the defeat by Northam

Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:24 pm

4 is generous for a couple of them. Someone has to have a quiet word and tell Bamba to retire. A magnificent player two years ago and one of my favourite signings in recent years but his last injury has ended his career. He'd struggle in league one now. Tutu had possibly the worst City debut I've seen from a player in quite a few years. Not helped by the rubbish around him but he looks a poor prospect at the moment.

Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:53 pm

EastleighBlue wrote:4 is generous for a couple of them. Someone has to have a quiet word and tell Bamba to retire. A magnificent player two years ago and one of my favourite signings in recent years but his last injury has ended his career. He'd struggle in league one now. Tutu had possibly the worst City debut I've seen from a player in quite a few years. Not helped by the rubbish around him but he looks a poor prospect at the moment.

Bamba isnt going to retire he has a contract... its down to Harris to either think him good enough or mot pick him..

Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:31 am

Too defensive which was obvious from the second I saw the team sheet. Should have played Mark Harris in the that number 10 role. Why not in the cup?

Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:59 am

Almost treated as a pre-season friendly. Obviously a poor performance with a dreadful result, but I will not judge our prospects until after next weeks match. We ended last season well so I remain optimistic. However, let's dump this 3 centre-back with two wing backs nonsense and right back could still be a major weakness.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:31 am

Great to see Cunningham come on , I believe he's a more than decent player at our level.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:50 am

New Day Rising wrote:Great to see Cunningham come on , I believe he's a more than decent player at our level.

I agree

Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:04 am

New Day Rising wrote:Great to see Cunningham come on , I believe he's a more than decent player at our level.

Should hope so- he cost us 4 million.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:33 pm

nubbsy wrote:Too defensive which was obvious from the second I saw the team sheet. Should have played Mark Harris in the that number 10 role. Why not in the cup?

Mark Harris is playing for Wales under 21’s!

Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:37 pm

BluebirdForever wrote:

I agree

Me too and if fit, I’d start him Saturday.