Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: RESULT " WALES v BULGARIA - UEFA Nations League "

Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:20 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
BluebirdForever wrote:
thomasblue wrote:This squad is going to be wasted by having Giggs in charge.

No shape
No direction
No clue

It was a win but it was a poor win, should have beaten that Bulgaria side easily.

That is arguably the best squad we have ever had and he has no idea how to utilise it.

A good manager would take those players deep into the final stages of the Euros like Coleman did.

Totally agree. I was listening to Radio Wales yesterday and someone said that on social media there’s a small minority who dont like Giggs as manager and that Giggs has “won over the doubters”. Personally I’m still to be convinced. The football is dreadful and the selection is so wrong - Morrell over Vaulks? Roberts over Neco? Brooks benched more often than not? I hope Giggs does turn it around but I don’t think we’d get far with him

Qualification for euros won last 4 games... hate to see reaction if lose 1 game? Football management is easy from the armchair or "fifa manager":roll: no not good game in fact poor but a win is what's required a win is what we got! And dont say a better team would have beaten us because football doesn't work that way does it... :banghead:

Mate we only have Ireland, Bulgaria and Finland...not England, France and Spain.

It’s like Liverpool narrowly scraping wins against Wimbledon, Ipswich and Sunderland.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:21 pm

thomasblue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
BluebirdForever wrote:

No shape
No direction
No clue

It was a win but it was a poor win, should have beaten that Bulgaria side easily.

That is arguably the best squad we have ever had and he has no idea how to utilise it.

A good manager would take those players deep into the final stages of the Euros like Coleman did.

Totally agree. I was listening to Radio Wales yesterday and someone said that on social media there’s a small minority who dont like Giggs as manager and that Giggs has “won over the doubters”. Personally I’m still to be convinced. The football is dreadful and the selection is so wrong - Morrell over Vaulks? Roberts over Neco? Brooks benched more often than not? I hope Giggs does turn it around but I don’t think we’d get far with him

Qualification for euros won last 4 games... hate to see reaction if lose 1 game? Football management is easy from the armchair or "fifa manager":roll: no not good game in fact poor but a win is what's required a win is what we got! And dont say a better team would have beaten us because football doesn't work that way does it... :banghead:

It pretty much does work like that

You can't be happy that the team is playing football like that with the talent he has available

Yes he's getting the results but we won't be playing Bulgaria Azerbaijan and Finland at the Euros . We will be playing teams like Italy who will wipe the floor with us playing like that

Italy couldn't beat Bosnia at home the other night.

You also said "England will stick five on us" if we play like we did tonight, yet they scraped past Iceland yesterday with a penalty - and Iceland missed a penalty of their own.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:32 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
BluebirdForever wrote:

No shape
No direction
No clue

You can't be happy that the team is playing football like that with the talent he has available

Yes he's getting the results but we won't be playing Bulgaria Azerbaijan and Finland at the Euros . We will be playing teams like Italy who will wipe the floor with us playing like that

You also said "England will stick five on us" if we play like we did tonight, yet they scraped past Iceland yesterday with a penalty - and Iceland missed a penalty of their own.

Is that the Iceland who did very well at the last Euros getting to the final stages ?
Or the Bosnia who made the world Cup and this euros
Or are we talking about teams who have either never qualified like Azerbaijan or have not qualified in decades like Bulgaria.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:40 pm

Unbeaten in eight can’t argue with that

Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:57 pm

thomasblue wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
BluebirdForever wrote:

No shape
No direction
No clue

Is that the Iceland who did very well at the last Euros getting to the final stages ?
Or are we talking about teams who have either never qualified like Azerbaijan or have not qualified in decades like Bulgaria.

That's a fair point.

But I would also point to two other factors.

1. We had significant players missing or lacking in match fitness for these two games. England and Italy were not nearly as badly affected in that regard as us. Each of those teams have played one game to our two in this international window - Italy can't get a 100% record from their two games and England could also fail to get a 100% record. Italy also conceded a goal, whereas we haven't - despite Bulgaria successfully scoring in their previous fixture during this window.

2. The world rankings are debatable, granted, but it is a reasonable system to base things on. Iceland, Bosnia and Bulgaria are all within 25 places of each other. That's suggests a similar level of quality.

You point out that Bosnia were at the 2014 World Cup - but that is the only major tournament they have qualified for. They are in the play-offs for qualification to Euro 2020 - but so are Bulgaria.

Iceland, likewise, are in the play-offs for qualification to Euro 2020. They have only ever qualified for two major championships.

If you're going off recent records, then I would point out that Holland's appearance at Euro 2020 will be their first appearance at a major tournament since the 2014 World Cup. They failed to qualify for the two tournaments that Iceland qualified for. Looking back at the respective squads during that period, I believe that Holland had a better team than Iceland.

Finland have qualified for Euro 2020.

Not to mention the Bulgarian players are currently in the middle of their season so have much higher fitness levels than most of other nations.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:03 pm

cardiff 74 wrote:Unbeaten in eight can’t argue with that

Apparently it's not good enough for some, need better.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:37 pm

BluebirdForever wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
BluebirdForever wrote:

No shape
No direction
No clue

Mate we only have Ireland, Bulgaria and Finland...not England, France and Spain.

It’s like Liverpool narrowly scraping wins against Wimbledon, Ipswich and Sunderland.

like LIVERPOOL ?.... :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5:

Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:48 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:

the some seem to think that team was one of our best ever :? :?
or even we are the international equivalent of Liverpool :shock:

either their expectations are ridiculously high or they made their minds up before a ball was kicked under gigss

Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:56 pm

BluebirdForever wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
BluebirdForever wrote:

No shape
No direction
No clue

Only them! Sorry not sure what your expecting 6-0 every game because it's only fin lre bulg? When needed to deliver Giggs as done it which before Coleman we failed miserably to do so
with arguably better teams .... at end day football is about results and if 4 wins on trot which was last achieved awhile ago is not good enough nothing is.. :roll:

Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:07 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
BluebirdForever wrote:

No shape
No direction
No clue

That's a fair point.

But I would also point to two other factors.

1. We had significant players missing or lacking in match fitness for these two games. England and Italy were not nearly as badly affected in that regard as us. Each of those teams have played one game to our two in this international window - Italy can't get a 100% record from their two games and England could also fail to get a 100% record. Italy also conceded a goal, whereas we haven't - despite Bulgaria successfully scoring in their previous fixture during this window.

2. The world rankings are debatable, granted, but it is a reasonable system to base things on. Iceland, Bosnia and Bulgaria are all within 25 places of each other. That's suggests a similar level of quality.

You point out that Bosnia were at the 2014 World Cup - but that is the only major tournament they have qualified for. They are in the play-offs for qualification to Euro 2020 - but so are Bulgaria.

Iceland, likewise, are in the play-offs for qualification to Euro 2020. They have only ever qualified for two major championships.

If you're going off recent records, then I would point out that Holland's appearance at Euro 2020 will be their first appearance at a major tournament since the 2014 World Cup. They failed to qualify for the two tournaments that Iceland qualified for. Looking back at the respective squads during that period, I believe that Holland had a better team than Iceland.

Finland have qualified for Euro 2020.

Not to mention the Bulgarian players are currently in the middle of their season so have much higher fitness levels than most of other nations.

If we play like that? Since when is playing two different sides will games be the same? Its like saying city going to get hammered next week because of our performance yesterday! But we all know that probably wont happen as like Wales we will have a different side playing
....wales missing our midfield last two games. Why cant people just say dont want giggs as manager no matter what results are?

Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:28 pm

thomasblue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
BluebirdForever wrote:

No shape
No direction
No clue

Totally agree. I was listening to Radio Wales yesterday and someone said that on social media there’s a small minority who dont like Giggs as manager and that Giggs has “won over the doubters”. Personally I’m still to be convinced. The football is dreadful and the selection is so wrong - Morrell over Vaulks? Roberts over Neco? Brooks benched more often than not? I hope Giggs does
turn it around but I don’t think we’d get far with him

Giggs has already the best record of any Welsh Manager, is blooding youngsters to improve the squad strength and still winning games! He will become a Premier League Manager like Mark Hughes, its just a question how long we can hold on to him! You haven’t followed Wales for long if you think it’s our best ever team but it’s certainly our youngest squad that will only improve thanks to Giggs blooding them now before Euros and World Cup!

Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:32 pm

A win is a win and I dont care how it comes, I've watched Wales fail for too long not to enjoy the success we've had recently.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:33 pm

Would that be the same Italy that drew 1-1 at home to Bosnia on Friday :happy1:

Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:35 pm

apparently some can..... Wales unbeaten in 8 :o when did that last happen...
in the real world these are times people dreamed of..

Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:40 pm

Into the last ten minutes and Ireland are 1-0 down at home to Finland.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:46 pm

skidemin wrote:

Unbeaten in 8 against 7 team's ranked 30 or lower in the world

In reality 4 of those games were against teams ranked below 50

The only team above us we played was Croatia which was a great result in fairness.

This wasn't about the results Giggs is somehow getting it was about the performances against piss poor team's like Bulgaria tonight who by the way have lost to the footballing giants of Belarus and Kosovo in the last year and also had 10 put past them over two games by England.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:55 pm

Full time: Ireland 0-1 Finland

Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:45 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:

And we still got the euros to come you can only play what’s in front you but it will be great if we can keep winning going into the euros next summer

Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:21 pm

gazthebluebird1 wrote:A win is a win and I dont care how it comes, I've watched Wales fail for too long not to enjoy the success we've had recently.

:thumbup:

Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:32 pm

No one can say we played well but there are extenuating circumstances to that! Are people saying if we played fantastic and drew 0-0 or won 1-0 thats ok but todays win 1-0 is not ok
because it was a poor performance? A win is a win especially in a qualifying competition! playing fantastic and drawing is not as good as winning poorly whoever the oposition is.....that's for sure.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:04 pm

thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:

The only team above us we played was Croatia which was a great result in fairness.

This wasn't about the results Giggs is somehow getting it was about the performances against piss poor team's like Bulgaria tonight who by the way have lost to the footballing giants of Belarus and Kosovo in the last year and also had 10 put past them over two games by England.

you can only beat who you play...and we are.... and how we are suddenly elevated to some sort of footballing super power beats me its really not so long ago we were not in the top 50..... .. we are a small country with a limited squad who should look down our noses at no one.... today we had James 26 starts last season for Man utd,. Davies 16 starts for Spurs, Bale whose on going problems and lack of minutes are well publicised... and who else thats been playing even semi regular at a top division club ..?
hennessey 3 starts... ? Brookes 2 starts ? Ampadu zero starts..?
a good manager would be losing these games...thank f @@@ ours is VERY good....

Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:11 pm

skidemin wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:

you can only beat who you play...and we are.... and how we are suddenly elevated to some sort of footballing super power beats me its really not so long ago we were not in the top 50..... .. we are a small country with a limited squad who should look down our noses at no one.... today we had James 26 starts last season for Man utd,. Davies 16 starts for Spurs, Bale whose on going problems and lack of minutes are well publicised... and who else thats been playing even semi regular at a top division club ..?
hennessey 3 starts... ? Brookes 2 starts ? Ampadu zero starts..?
a good manager would be losing these games...thank f @@@ ours is VERY good....

Didnt know we had a choice of what teams we play in qualifying tournaments? I get the poor performance bit but get impression if we play great football and lose rather than win playing poorly that is satisfactory to some fans... what's more important qualifying or playing great football every game and failing to qualify?
every win we get in this taunement gets us more ranking points more we get the better pot we are in for world cup qualification ect so a win is of utmost importance not the performance .

Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:52 pm

Can't believe some of the comments on here. We controlled an international match against a limited but dogged Bulgarian side. I've seen us lose too many of these games by going too gung-ho.

The goal at the end was superb, brilliant patient build-up play, probably about 30 passes, you could feel the goal coming and Bulgaria could do nothing to stop it. Who cares if it's right at the end, that's how you become a top team, fighting and concentrating until the end.

Giggs has done an incredible job. We have two injury-prone superstars, but around them we have a solid base who no team is finding it easy to open up. Joe Morrell and Matt Smith are hardly tearing it up in their club careers, but look like experienced pros playing for Wales. That's top coaching and management. :ayatollah:

Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:54 am

NPCF3 wrote:Can't believe some of the comments on here. We controlled an international match against a limited but dogged Bulgarian side. I've seen us lose too many of these games by going too gung-ho.

The goal at the end was superb, brilliant patient build-up play, probably about 30 passes, you could feel the goal coming and Bulgaria could do nothing to stop it. Who cares if it's right at the end, that's how you become a top team, fighting and concentrating until the end.

Giggs has done an incredible job. We have two injury-prone superstars, but around them we have a solid base who no team is finding it easy to open up. Joe Morrell and Matt Smith are hardly tearing it up in their club careers, but look like experienced pros playing for Wales. That's top coaching and management. :ayatollah:

same here mate....we qualified for France and the phrase that got the most mentions with everyone i knew that was going was... got to go its probably ONCE IN A LIFETIME.. Bordeaux was amazing, grown men in tears , a dream come true, we had scored in a finals ffs... then won...followed by many running up unforeseen large debts following Wales around France in what was unimaginable a few weeks before ... roll forward 4 years and some think ..well im not sure what they think other than its unreasonable.. how do you get from all that excitement and planning after qualification and happy to JUST be there to this ?

Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:30 am

skidemin wrote:

It seems the Giggs haters will never change their minds.

Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:39 am

Blue Diver wrote:
skidemin wrote:

It seems the Giggs haters will never change their minds.

1981 was last time went unbeaten in 8 games!
Even Coleman didn't do it with arguably a better team Certainly more established than Giggs is..:old: