Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

RESULT " WALES v BULGARIA - UEFA Nations League "

Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:00 pm

Final score: WALES 1-0 BULGARIA

Neco Williams scores a 94th minute to winner to maintain Wales' 100% record in this campaign's UEFA Nations League - two wins out of two now.

Wales weren't at their best at Cardiff City Stadium but got the job done in the end.

Four wins in a row for Ryan Giggs' side and four clean sheets in a row.

Ireland lost 1-0 at home to Finland.

Next up for Wales is a friendly away at England in October before two away Nations League fixtures in that same international window - at Ireland and Bulgaria.

Wales end this international window top of their Nations League group :thumbright:

Hennessey, Roberts (N Williams, 65), Ampadu, Lockyer, Davies, Smith, Morrell, Brooks (J Williams, 76), James, Bale, Moore (Robson-Kanu, 61)

Wales have their second match in the UEFA Nations League on Sunday at 2pm when they face Bulgaria at Cardiff City Stadium.

Wales began the campaign with a 1-0 win in Finland, while Bulgaria drew their first match 1-1 at home to Republic of Ireland.

Wales are ranked 23rd in the world and Bulgaria are ranked 59th in the world.

Re: Sunday 2pm " WALES v BULGARIA - UEFA Nations League "

Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:51 am

Kieffer Moore again starts for Wales against Bulgaria, while Will Vaulks remains on the bench.

David Brooks returns to the team.

WALES TEAM TO PLAY BULGARIA

Wayne Hennessey
Connor Roberts
Tom Lockyer
Ethan Ampadu
Ben Davies
Joe Morrell
Matt Smith
David Brooks
Daniel James
Gareth Bale
Kieffer Moore

SUBSTITUTES

Danny Ward
Adam Davies
Chris Gunter
Neco Williams
Ben Cabango
James Lawrence
Dylan Levitt
Jonny Williams
Hal Robson-Kanu
Harry Wilson
Rabbi Matondo
Will Vaulks

Re: Latest " WALES v BULGARIA - UEFA Nations League "

Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:17 pm

Slow start.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:18 pm

Ben davies has made about 30 passes all backwards?

Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:46 pm

Half time: WALES 0-0 BULGARIA

Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:58 pm

Weather isn't helping. Pretty toothless so far. Need to get ball moving quicker.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:06 pm

I'm surprised Gareth Bale didn't get taken off at half time.

He was virtually invisible in that first half. He desperately needs to find a club where he can play regularly, and can afford to pay Real Madrid what they want for him, or he's going to offer next to nothing for Wales going forward.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:16 pm

Centre of the park is woeful. Smith and Morrell. Surely Vaulks is better than both those?

Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:16 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:I'm surprised Gareth Bale didn't get taken off at half time.

He was virtually invisible in that first half. He desperately needs to find a club where he can play regularly, and can afford to pay Real Madrid what they want for him, or he's going to offer next to nothing for Wales going forward.

Hes improved 2nd half but we are slow and got a ref that blows every time they are touched which is not helping games flow.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:19 pm

Hal Robson-Kanu back on the pitch for Wales, for the first time in three years.

Kieffer Moore has been substituted - the referee has given several fouls against him and he would have been suspended for the Ireland match if he was booked.

Referee had been quite strict towards Kieffer Moore today.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:21 pm

Neco Williams is the next player to come on, he replaces Connor Roberts.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:32 pm

Ryan Giggs makes his final change as Jonny Williams replaces David Brooks .

Just under 15 minutes to play and it's still 0-0.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:40 pm

Very poor performance today and Bale is a shadow of himself in 2016, while the referee is worse than awful and whistle happy

Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:41 pm

Charlie Harper wrote:Very poor performance today and Bale is a shadow of himself in 2016, while the referee is worse than awful and whistle happy

Pretty much how I would have summed up this match.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:43 pm

Whistle happy is an understatement.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:43 pm

Whistle happy is an understatement.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:45 pm

Never looked like scoring just not pushing forward enough, slow and ponderous at best.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:50 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Neco Williams is the next player to come on, he replaces Connor Roberts.

I don’t know why Neco doesn’t start over Roberts - Roberts is an awful footballer

The referee has had an absolute shocker!! Every time we get near the goal,the ref blows for a free kick,with or without contact on their keeper,and it's the same outfield,how on earth was that a booking for neck Williams? ? :old: :bluebird:

GOAL: WALES 1-0 BULGARIA

Neco Williams scores a late winner in the 94th minute

BluebirdForever wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:Neco Williams is the next player to come on, he replaces Connor Roberts.

I don’t know why Neco doesn’t start over Roberts - Roberts is an awful footballer

Just as I post this Neco backs me up with a goal :D

Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:51 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
Charlie Harper wrote:Very poor performance today and Bale is a shadow of himself in 2016, while the referee is worse than awful and whistle happy

Pretty much how I would have summed up this match.

:thumbup: good win in the end though

Re: RESULT " WALES v BULGARIA - UEFA Nations League "

Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:55 pm

Final score: WALES 1-0 BULGARIA

Neco Williams scores a 94th minute to winner to maintain Wales' 100% record in this campaign's UEFA Nations League - two wins out of two now.

Wales weren't at their best at Cardiff City Stadium but got the job done in the end.

Four wins in a row for Ryan Giggs' side and four clean sheets in a row.

Ireland play Finland at 5pm in the group's other match.

Next up for Wales is a friendly away at England in October before two away Nations League fixtures in that same international window - at Ireland and Bulgaria.

Wales end this international window top of their Nations League group :thumbright:

Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:01 pm

This squad is going to be wasted by having Giggs in charge.

No shape
No direction
No clue

It was a win but it was a poor win, should have beaten that Bulgaria side easily.

That is arguably the best squad we have ever had and he has no idea how to utilise it.

A good manager would take those players deep into the final stages of the Euros like Coleman did.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:09 pm

thomasblue wrote:This squad is going to be wasted by having Giggs in charge.

No shape
No direction
No clue

It was a win but it was a poor win, should have beaten that Bulgaria side easily.

That is arguably the best squad we have ever had and he has no idea how to utilise it.

A good manager would take those players deep into the final stages of the Euros like Coleman did.

4 wins on the bounce,and 4 clean sheets to boot,yes they looked slow today,ant the Republic of Ireland couldn't beat them,so whilst not a brilliant performance today,a win nonetheless.and top of group with the only 100%record, I'll take that. :old: :bluebird:

Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:10 pm

No shape
No direction
No clue

Totally agree. I was listening to Radio Wales yesterday and someone said that on social media there’s a small minority who dont like Giggs as manager and that Giggs has “won over the doubters”. Personally I’m still to be convinced. The football is dreadful and the selection is so wrong - Morrell over Vaulks? Roberts over Neco? Brooks benched more often than not? I hope Giggs does turn it around but I don’t think we’d get far with him

Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:15 pm

BluebirdForever wrote:

No shape
No direction
No clue

Totally agree. I was listening to Radio Wales yesterday and someone said that on social media there’s a small minority who dont like Giggs as manager and that Giggs has “won over the doubters”. Personally I’m still to be convinced. The football is dreadful and the selection is so wrong - Morrell over Vaulks? Roberts over Neco? Brooks benched more often than not? I hope Giggs does turn it around but I don’t think we’d get far with him

Qualification for euros won last 4 games... hate to see reaction if lose 1 game? Football management is easy from the armchair or "fifa manager":roll: no not good game in fact poor but a win is what's required a win is what we got! And dont say a better team would have beaten us because football doesn't work that way does it... :banghead:

Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:15 pm

bluesince62 wrote:

No shape
No direction
No clue

4 wins on the bounce,and 4 clean sheets to boot,yes they looked slow today,ant the Republic of Ireland couldn't beat them,so whilst not a brilliant performance today,a win nonetheless.and top of group with the only 100%record, I'll take that. :old: :bluebird:

A decent team would spank us playing like this. Four wins against poor or average international teams . The only decent performance on the pitch was against Hungary.

Results are what matters but be honest most teams would have beat us easily today . England up next will put 5 on us if we play like that.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:16 pm

No shape
No direction
No clue

It wasn't a great performance, I agree. But I think your comments are a little bit harsh.

There was no Aaron Ramsey or Joe Allen. Add to that the fact that Gareth Bale and David Brooks are both severely lacking in match practice.

Despite that, we have four wins in a row for the first time since 1981 and four clean sheets in a row - whoever the opponents are, that's impressive.

Two wins out of two and top of the group with a great chance now of earning promotion to League A - which would have a big factor in climbing up the World Rankings to give us a a favourable draw for major tournaments qualification.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:18 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
BluebirdForever wrote:

No shape
No direction
No clue

Qualification for euros won last 4 games... hate to see reaction if lose 1 game? Football management is easy from the armchair or "fifa manager":roll: no not good game in fact poor but a win is what's required a win is what we got! And dont say a better team would have beaten us because football doesn't work that way does it... :banghead:

It pretty much does work like that

You can't be happy that the team is playing football like that with the talent he has available

Yes he's getting the results but we won't be playing Bulgaria Azerbaijan and Finland at the Euros . We will be playing teams like Italy who will wipe the floor with us playing like that