Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" SHEYI OJO SET TO SIGN FOR CARDIFF CITY "

Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:46 pm

UPDATED: Monday 7th September 2020

Cardiff City poised to sign exciting Liverpool winger

Cardiff, Nottingham Forest and a number of other clubs were in for the Liverpool player

By Ben James

Cardiff CIty are set to sign Liverpool starlet Sheyi Ojo on loan.

The 23-year-old winger, who hasn't played for the Reds since January 2017, has attracted interest from both the Bluebirds and Nottingham Forest.

But it looks like it's Neil Harris' side who Ojo will be signing for - with a deal likely to be agreed on Sunday.

Ojo, who has played age-grade football for England up to U21s level, has spent the majority of his career on loan away from Anfield.

Back in February 2015, Ojo made his first appearance in senior football during a loan spell with Wigan Athletic before joining up with Brendan Rodgers and Liverpool on pre-season tour that summer.

Since then, he's enjoyed loans at Wolves, Fulham, Reims and Rangers - with south Wales set to be his destination away from Anfield.

The winger would be the latest addition to Harris' squad, with Wales international Kieffer Moore and Arsenal right-back Jordi Osei-Tutu having already linked up with the squad.

Could be a good one this.

Liverpool Echo

Liverpool starlet Sheyi Ojo looks set to join Cardiff City on loan.

The winger, who hasn't played for the Reds since January 2017, has attracted interest from both the Bluebirds and Nottingham Forest.

The ECHO understands both the club and the 23-year-old see Neil Harris' side as the better option.

Back in February 2015, Ojo made his first appearance in senior football during a loan spell with Wigan Athletic before joining up with Brendan Rodgers and Liverpool on pre-season tour that summer.

He spent the first half of the 2015/16 season on loan in the Championship with Wolves before being recalled in January 2016 by Jurgen Klopp.

Ojo went on to make his debut for the Reds in a 2-2 FA Cup draw with Exeter City that year and scored his maiden goal for the club in the subsequent replay.

The attacker made several appearances under Klopp that term before then joining Fulham on a season-long loan in August 2017 as the London club ended their campaign by celebrating promotion back to the top flight via the play-offs.

He then signed a contract extension with Liverpool in 2018 before being sent out on a season-long loan with French side Reims, featuring heavily, and then spending the 2019/20 campaign with Steven Gerrard's Rangers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: SHEYI OJO

Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:59 pm

He's 23.

Liverpool's local press seem to think it's a loan move with a view to a permanent transfer.

Was on loan at Rangers last season.

Re: SHEYI OJO

Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:01 pm

Liverpool Echo

Liverpool starlet Sheyi Ojo looks set to join Cardiff City on loan.

The winger, who hasn't played for the Reds since January 2017, has attracted interest from both the Bluebirds and Nottingham Forest.

The ECHO understands both the club and the 23-year-old see Neil Harris' side as the better option.

Re: " SHEYI OJO "

Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:17 pm

One of our wingers surely has to be moving on?

We'd have 5 otherwise

Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:19 pm

Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:One of our wingers surely has to be moving on?

We'd have 5 otherwise

One poster on here will be happy - with regards to the wingers we have at the moment ;)

Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:34 pm

Can you be discribed as a starlet at the age of 23? Looks a good signing at least it reduces our age profile and he is probably quite quick. Doesn't score many goals, 1 in 19 games for Rangers in a slightly underwhelming spell there. Does anyone know if he is a right or left winger. Probably better than what we have got and he could do with a good loan spell with us. One of those extremely talented youngsters who will never quite make it at premier level but could be very good at championship level.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:42 pm

Was shocking for Rangers last season,absolute crap.I really hope this doesn't happen,this guy was rank with a bad attitude.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:51 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:

We'd have 5 otherwise

One poster on here will be happy - with regards to the wingers we have at the moment ;)

Yes topcat, exactly the type of signing we needed! Competition for places and freshen things up on the wings! Hopefully harris get the best out of him and ojo can also push to get the best out of the likes of NML hoilett murphy too, looks like a left pegger who plays and cuts in from the right too which is different and a good option to have, hopefully he finds his form and can reach his potential and settle as a bluebird welcome shey ojo

Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:50 pm

sendintank wrote:Was shocking for Rangers last season,absolute crap.I really hope this doesn't happen,this guy was rank with a bad attitude.

This was confirmed by the Daily Reord who said he stared out well enough but "fizzled out" at Rangers and by the end he was being used as a late subsistute. He in fact played more games as a subsistute than he started. Also in his 18 appearances for Rhiems 15 of them were as a subsistute. Let's hope he has matured a bit since then.

Also found out his now ex girlfriend was sentenced ro 18 months in prison for funding terrorism.

Must be reasonably good for Liverpool to hang on to him for so long but probably one of those that won't make it at premier level certainly not at Liverpool.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:10 pm

Crayfish wrote:
sendintank wrote:Was shocking for Rangers last season,absolute crap.I really hope this doesn't happen,this guy was rank with a bad attitude.

This was confirmed by the Daily Reord who said he stared out well enough but "fizzled out" at Rangers and by the end he was being used as a late subsistute. He in fact played more games as a subsistute than he started. Also in his 18 appearances for Rhiems 15 of them were as a subsistute. Let's hope he has matured a bit since then.

Also found out his now ex girlfriend was sentenced ro 18 months in prison for funding terrorism.

Must be reasonably good for Liverpool to hang on to him for so long but probably one of those that won't make it at premier level certainly not at Liverpool.

I know it’s YouTube but there’s plenty of impressive highlights of him for Rangers. He seems predominantly a left footed but the footage shows him on the left and right wing. Looks quick too.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:57 pm

We'd have 5 otherwise

I wonder if adding 2+2 and getting 5 that this could be instead of NML I wonder if NML's personal reasons, may mean that he is on his way :o

Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:00 am

Igovernor wrote:

We'd have 5 otherwise

I wonder if adding 2+2 and getting 5 that this could be instead of NML I wonder if NML's personal reasons, may mean that he is on his way :o

until we know what NMLs personal problems are its hard to say..
my money would be on Whyte going.. but NMLs absence certainly makes it a possibility... i would imagine we would want a fee for him though which would complicate that under these circumstances..

Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:17 am

No idea about this signing. Could be the nest Messi for all I know. I just hope we return to a back 4 come next week. Understand the need to experiment but it has never worked for us under Harris (I was at qpr) maybe this lad could be a good backup to the front three

Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:38 am

skidemin wrote:
Igovernor wrote:

We'd have 5 otherwise

my money would be on Whyte going.. but NMLs absence certainly makes it a possibility... i would imagine we would want a fee for him though which would complicate that under these circumstances..

If nml has personal problems surely he will have them were ever goes really hope he stays

Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:55 am

Pembroke bluebird wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Igovernor wrote:

We'd have 5 otherwise

If nml has personal problems surely he will have them were ever goes really hope he stays

Depends what the problem is though I suppose. Eg. Needing to move north for family reasons

Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:24 am

The so called “starlet” with a less than impressive track record is hardly an inspiring signing.
Surely City do not need wingers with 4 in the squad plus the academy youngster - it’s in midfield and at right back where they need players.

Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:28 am

NML is one of the best players we have imo and that would be massive. Yes he has 1 in 10 where he goes awol but is the only person that looks like attacking teams.

He’s just had new baby so fact he been out for a game may have something to do with it

Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:38 am

He seems to have had a lot of loan moves - Beatles fans will tell you 'Jojo was a man who thought he was a loner'
:)

Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:27 am

I’ve never heard of the guy but going on the history of him from the comments he sounds completely uninspiring.
Of course, I hope he turns out a diamond as you never know so I’ll await to see.

I thought Harris would go for more of a no10 type of player unless he can play there and will be used as a backup to Tomlin when fit?

Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:59 am

Pembroke bluebird wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Igovernor wrote:

We'd have 5 otherwise

Only a guess but could it be, that his partner just having a baby would want to be near her family, wherever that might be?

Re: " SHEYI OJO SET TO SIGN FOR CARDIFF CITY "

Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:11 am

UPDATED: Monday 7th September 2020

Cardiff City poised to sign exciting Liverpool winger

Cardiff, Nottingham Forest and a number of other clubs were in for the Liverpool player

By Ben James

Cardiff CIty are set to sign Liverpool starlet Sheyi Ojo on loan.

The 23-year-old winger, who hasn't played for the Reds since January 2017, has attracted interest from both the Bluebirds and Nottingham Forest.

But it looks like it's Neil Harris' side who Ojo will be signing for - with a deal likely to be agreed on Sunday.

Ojo, who has played age-grade football for England up to U21s level, has spent the majority of his career on loan away from Anfield.

Since then, he's enjoyed loans at Wolves, Fulham, Reims and Rangers - with south Wales set to be his destination away from Anfield.

The winger would be the latest addition to Harris' squad, with Wales international Kieffer Moore and Arsenal right-back Jordi Osei-Tutu having already linked up with the squad.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:14 am

:bluebird: ' NEIL HARRIS CARDIFF CITY SQUAD 2020-21 “ :bluebird:

1. Neil Etheridge
2. Jordi Osei-Tutu
3. Joe Bennett
4. Sean Morrison (C)
5. Aden Flint
6. Will Vaulks
7. Leandro Bacuna
8. Joe Ralls
9. Robert Glatzel
10. Kieffer Moore
11. Josh Murphy
12. Alex Smithies
13. Callum Paterson
14. Isaac Vassell
16. Curtis Nelson
17. Lee Tomlin
18. Greg Cunningham
19. Nathaniel Mendez-Laing
20. Gavin Whyte
21. Marlon Pack
22. Sol Bamba
25. Joe Day
28. Tom Sang
29. Mark Harris
33. Junior Hoilett

Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:20 am

Surely NH has done his homework and believes he can develop him?

Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:21 am

Big Hill Blue wrote:Surely NH has done his homework and believes he can develop him?

I certainly think so

Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:26 am

Igovernor wrote:
Big Hill Blue wrote:Surely NH has done his homework and believes he can develop him?

I certainly think so

Love the photo above of NH expression and feeling of belonging after the invite to do the :ayatollah:

:D

Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:12 am

Love the way posters I have never seen on here before ridicule him without any evidence sounds to me like they are annoyed at losing rhian. As to the player leaving could Neil have nicked hoillet

Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:23 am

pontlliwblue wrote:Love the way posters I have never seen on here before ridicule him without any evidence sounds to me like they are annoyed at losing rhian. As to the player leaving could Neil have nicked hoillet

I think you might be right with this one!

Also think Bamba will also go to Boro seeing as we are also looking for a central defender?

Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:30 am

Give him a chance might rip the championship apart

Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:05 am

Pulisnewport wrote:
pontlliwblue wrote:Love the way posters I have never seen on here before ridicule him without any evidence sounds to me like they are annoyed at losing rhian. As to the player leaving could Neil have nicked hoillet

Also think Bamba will also go to Boro seeing as we are also looking for a central defender?

Where have you read we are in for a CB?

Really surprised we havnt seen any departures yet.

Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:24 am

Escott1927 wrote:
Pulisnewport wrote:

Where have you read we are in for a CB?

Really surprised we havnt seen any departures yet.

Harris has mentioned it a few times. We will definitely need 4 central defenders.

I thought Flint might be the one to go however looking long term Bamba might be the one, seeing his age and recent injuries. Also NW rates him highly! Harris has been told to reduce the age of the squad so imo he might be the one to go?