Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BLUEBIRD NAMED IN NEIL WARNOCK'S CHAMPIONSHIP 'TOP 5'

Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:28 pm

Middlesbrough boss Neil Warnock names unsung Cardiff City player as one of the top five Championship stars to watch
By Paul Abbandonato

Neil Warnock has named his top five Championship players to watch this season - with unsung Cardiff City defender Curtis Nelson among the chosen men.

Former Bluebirds boss Warnock is hoping to spearhead a Middlesbrough promotion drive when the season kicks off on Saturday.

But he fully expects Cardiff to be in the mix, having brought a lot of the players to the club that Neil Harris is planning to lead into the top two.

One of those is centre-half Curtis Nelson, who arrived on a free transfer from Plymouth but who excelled in the second-half of last season as he built a partnership with skipper Sean Morrison.

Warnock chooses Nelson amongst his Championship top five, telling Mail Online: "I’ve got a soft spot for him because I signed him on a free when I was at Cardiff. Classy defender. Very rarely lets you down."

Nelson had previously played more than 300 matches in the lower divisions for Plymouth and Oxford, but Warnock saw qualities in him and always felt he could perform at a higher level.

The other four players Warnock feels fans should look out for during 2020-21 play in more forward positions, so a defender breaking into that elite top five bracket is tribute indeed to Nelson.

Warnock feels Watford wide man Gerard Deulofeu could tear up the league, saying: "Shone in the Premier League and will be a nightmare for defenders in the Championship."

He expects new Brentford signing Ivan Toney to bag lots of goals after joining from Peterborough and tips Nottingham Forest Joe Lolley for big things.

The fifth player Warnock picks is Sam Clucas, who will be key for Stoke in the coming months.

"Super midfielder who can be very influential in matches. One of the reasons I think Stoke will have a decent season," says Warnock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: BLUEBIRD NAMED IN NEIL WARNOCK'S CHAMPIONSHIP 'TOP 5'

Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:48 pm

Can pretty much guarantee that Nelson will have a poor season now.

Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:49 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Can pretty much guarantee that Nelson will have a poor season now.

He got of to a good start then, Ned! :laughing6:

Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:58 pm

Warnock signed Nelson but like other players he signed he never played him, preferring Flint and Morrison who were too similar to play together! He’s just blowing his own trumpet again, Harris saw straight away the pairing wasn’t working and gave Nelson his chance !

Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:56 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:Warnock signed Nelson but like other players he signed he never played him, preferring Flint and Morrison who were too similar to play together! He’s just blowing his own trumpet again, Harris saw straight away the pairing wasn’t working and gave Nelson his chance !

:laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5:
really ..?????????????? i thought Nelson was in the team he inherited as Mozza was injured, then banned, i dont think they ever played as a pair under Harris....so thats four hundred and seven reasons you hate warnock but they are all factually wrong..

Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:01 pm

skidemin wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:Warnock signed Nelson but like other players he signed he never played him, preferring Flint and Morrison who were too similar to play together! He’s just blowing his own trumpet again, Harris saw straight away the pairing wasn’t working and gave Nelson his chance !

really ..?????????????? i thought Nelson was in the team he inherited as Mozza was injured, then banned, i dont think they ever played as a pair under Harris....so thats four hundred and seven reasons you hate warnock but they are all factually wrong..

What are you talking about know all, it was Harris who put Nelson and Morrison together as a pair not your lovechild!

Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:47 pm

HarriRhys22 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

What are you talking about know all, it was Harris who put Nelson and Morrison together as a pair not your lovechild!

you knocking with false facts is neither me knowing all or loving Warnock..sorry maybe everyone should believe your rubbish....
Curtis came in for Moizza after the Swansea game and remained there alongside Flint until the QPR debacle... and yes Harris the swapped mozza for flint...
what am i talking about ? lets try what actually happened as opposed to a load of hatred...

Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:44 pm

He does blow his own trumpet about good things but blames everyone and the tea lady for everything else

Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:03 am

skidemin wrote:
HarriRhys22 wrote:
skidemin wrote:

you knocking with false facts is neither me knowing all or loving Warnock..sorry maybe everyone should believe your rubbish....
Curtis came in for Moizza after the Swansea game and remained there alongside Flint until the QPR debacle... and yes Harris the swapped mozza for flint...
what am i talking about ? lets try what actually happened as opposed to a load of hatred...

I don’t hate Warnock, he did well to get us promoted, but the facts are that we were 18th in the Championship when he arrived and 14th when he left! He has proved with five different teams that he hoofball doesn’t work in the Premier League but continues to con people by boasting how good he is! I’m glad we now have Neil Harris who at least is an honest manager!

Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:11 am

Didn’t we sign him from Oxford?