Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The one all fans want to see While it might

Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:07 am

The one all fans want to see

By Glen Willians

Tuesday 8th September 2020

While it might appear incredibly unlikely, especially for the first game of the season, there is no doubting all fans want to see a Mike Bassett-esque 4-4-2.

When Kieffer Moore arrived from Wigan last month, supporters were teeming with excitement over the prospect of the Wales striker leading the line.

Others, though, wondered what that meant for Robert Glatzel, Cardiff's £5.5m signing from Heidenheim a year ago.

What odds, then, of a Glatzel-Moore strike partnership, up front together, Chopra-Bothroyd style, spearheading an attacking 4-4-2 formation?

Now that certainly appears to be an exciting prospect for City fans.

Will it happen? Well, Harris is no stranger to a 4-4-2, he opted for it a multitude of times while in charge of Millwall, and even used Moore and youngster Mark Harris in a two up top together in some pre-season matches.

In fact, Moore's link-up play with young striker Harris culminated in the former's first goal for the club, a stunning one-two and finish against Newport County.

Will it leave Cardiff a little exposed in midfield, especially for the first game of the season? Quite possibly. And that's the only question mark, really.

That really would get bums off seats, though.

The wildcard

It might be, perhaps, the least likely option, but it has been noted just how well young Tom Sang has played during pre-season and indeed in the defeat at Northampton Town.

Harris really likes Sang and for good reason, he has been impressive in the small clips of games we have been privy to during pre-season.

Crucially, he is comfortable playing across the three positions behind the striker — either wing and No.10 — and was used in the playmaker slot against Northampton.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: The one all fans want to see While it might

Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:15 am

who wants to see us play 442 ? we got 2 attacking full backs, so a 442 means there has to be cover for them, mike bassett- esq 442 i understand to be a flat 442, which means no wingers, just wide midfielders, which is pointless. and who does he think we will have upto ? we have kieffer moore, and glatzel who are both target men who lets be honest, won't be running into things, making runs beyond the defenders.

Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:35 am

I see this reporter is off again. 'What fans undoubtedly want to see is 4-4-2' ?? Really Undoubtedlty. No I'd say 3 in midfield, with two wide men and a striker is fine. If you have two up from you have less in midfield, remember when we used to get overrun by 5 man midfields under Jones. I think Moore and Glatzel are challenging for the same place, not bad to have Glatzel to come on after Moore has worn himself out. Harris did the same with our wingers and his use of Tomlin last season. I'd trust Harris' view over this reporter's. Mind you 5 at the back is a no-no after last weekend.

Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:57 pm

I don’t care what formation we play so long as no manager is stupid enough to try to play 5 at t back with the players we have ever again.

Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:03 pm

phildavies wrote:I don’t care what formation we play so long as no manager is stupid enough to try to play 5 at t back with the players we have ever again.

it was poor opposition last week and formation really shouldnt have had enough effect to bring on that result or performance.. quarter of a million pounds a week for 11 guys to not be able to deal with a different formation against Northampton ? god help us