Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

How many more signings do cardiff need?

Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:48 pm

I would say 3

We still need a right back I don’t think one is enough for a long season ahead.

A number 10 as tomlin won’t stay fit for a full season

And still think we need a striker as we only have 2 fit strikers with Moore and glatzel (vassell is always injured and Paterson is not a striker)

Think we could be left short if we don’t sign a few more.

With Mendez now gone we need to replace him and I’d loan whyte out

Re: How many more signings do cardiff need?

Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:29 pm

I Don’t think we’ll see enough sadly and probably end up going into the season short, We’ll use bacuna as a backup for Rb and since the club have known about Mendez Ojo was probably signed as his replacement. If Etheridge goes I can see us signing a midfielder who can play as an 8 or a 10 on loan and that will be us done.

Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:44 pm

BluebirdsTilIDie wrote:I would say 3

We still need a right back I don’t think one is enough for a long season ahead.

A number 10 as tomlin won’t stay fit for a full season

And still think we need a striker as we only have 2 fit strikers with Moore and glatzel (vassell is always injured and Paterson is not a striker)

Think we could be left short if we don’t sign a few more.

With Mendez now gone we need to replace him and I’d loan whyte out

i think we are short of numbers by a minimum of 4.. dont necessarily agree about strikers... Patto might not be everyones cup of tea but our stats when he plays up front are very good..

Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:13 am

With NML gone we need another winger, a number 10 to compete with Tomlin and I want another defensive midfielder but this time with actual pace to get around the pitch.

Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:11 am

In normal circumstances I’d say 4 new players.
We have 4 wingers which will probably be deemed enough.
We have 2 out and out strikers with Paterson as a back up which I’m sure will be deemed enough.

GK’s are covered, centre backs are covered, left back is covered and centre midfield is pretty much covered.

For me, the most important positions to add to a right back and an attacking midfielder/no 10 type.

Of course, things can change rapidly if offers come in for any of our players and if cheap or free transfers become available.

Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:37 am

I think it’s more the case of how many players do we need to move on, before bringing new players in. As things are at the moment I think we’re pretty much up to the limit, player wise, however, with question marks surrounding a few current players like Etheridge, Bamba, and Hoylett, to name but three, we could see some more movement yet?

Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:10 pm

We desperately need creativity in the middle of the park. Plus a back up RB and possible a more mobile striker who
Can play on the shoulder

Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:14 pm

The main priority mist be a right back. The kid from Arsenal seems to be far more at home as a wide midfield player or out and out winger Bochum certainly thought so. He might be OK as a right back he might be a liability. Sanderson would be great. Right back must be the priority.

Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:15 pm

The main priority mist be a right back. The kid from Arsenal seems to be far more at home as a wide midfield player or out and out winger Bochum certainly thought so. He might be OK as a right back he might be a liability. Sanderson would be great. Right back must be the priority.

Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:15 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:I think it’s more the case of how many players do we need to move on, before bringing new players in. As things are at the moment I think we’re pretty much up to the limit, player wise, however, with question marks surrounding a few current players like Etheridge, Bamba, and Hoylett, to name but three, we could see some more movement yet?

Harris has already said it'll probably be a one out one in process if more players were to come in. But with NML gone and the likely departure of Etheridge, that's a pretty good amount of wages saved plus whatever fee we get for etheridge. Hopefully see at least another 2 come in. Definitely need cover at RB. Would also like to see a creative midfielder come in.

Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:23 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:I think it’s more the case of how many players do we need to move on, before bringing new players in. As things are at the moment I think we’re pretty much up to the limit, player wise, however, with question marks surrounding a few current players like Etheridge, Bamba, and Hoylett, to name but three, we could see some more movement yet?

looking at how many players we use each year. we need everyone we have plus a few more.. not only are we thin on the ground but there are a few who are unlikely to play much out of those we have... no idea what the anti Hoilett thing is ..works his socks off, reads the game better than most and can win you games... puzzled..

Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:33 pm

exiled12345 wrote:We desperately need creativity in the middle of the park. Plus a back up RB and possible a more mobile striker who
Can play on the shoulder

I don’t think we have the luxury to have 3 out and out strikers on the books!
Plus we have Vassal on a salary without playing and Paterson who Harris seems to like to fill in.

Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:50 pm

skidemin wrote:

looking at how many players we use each year. we need everyone we have plus a few more.. not only are we thin on the ground but there are a few who are unlikely to play much out of those we have... no idea what the anti Hoilett thing is ..works his socks off, reads the game better than most and can win you games... puzzled..

Nothing anti about Hoilett at all, I said question marks surrounding a few players, Hoilett And Bamber because of their connections with NW, and either or both of them departing has been mentioned by other posters recently.
I agree that resources are tight, and will be for the foreseeable future, and yes, Neil Harris is going to require every member of the squad to compete, and put in a shift,,, every single one,,, which will put pressure, and question marks on one or two current players I’m sure.