IS OUR SQUAD TOO LIGHT ???

A forum for all things Cardiff City

IS OUR SQUAD TOO LIGHT ???

Postby Whistler » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:33 am

Looking at the first team listed, there is certainly quality and experience throughout the squad however we are short of numbers. Of the 24 players listed as the first team two are untried youngsters ( Mark Harris & Tom Sang) one is still on long-term injury ( Vassel) so effectively 21 players available to start the season this is further complicated by the fact that both Tomlin and Ralls are struggling with injury.
Defensively we are light with only 7 players available for 4 places in the team and one of them ( Bamba) is 35. Right-back is certainly an issue where we only have a the young loanee (Tuto) available. Much has been said about the lack of strength in depth about the jacks but i am concerned that if a number of injuries are picked up then we are down to bare bones, maybe its never been a better time for a youngster to make a break into the first team than present. Good luck young Mr Sang and Harris there will never be a better opportunity than the present :ayatollah: :occasion5:
Whistler
 
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:50 am

IS OUR SQUAD TOO LIGHT ???

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: IS OUR SQUAD TOO LIGHT ???

Postby Carpe Diem » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:00 am

Yes, as is our best 11. Lacking that real quality in centre midfield and up front.
We are at least 3 quality players short of a top 6 side imo
Carpe Diem
 
Posts: 5355
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 9:10 pm

Re: IS OUR SQUAD TOO LIGHT ???

Postby welshrarebit » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:27 am

These are unusual times. What have other sides been doing?
welshrarebit
 
Posts: 987
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:34 pm

Re: IS OUR SQUAD TOO LIGHT ???

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:53 am

For me its not strong enough in depth for promotion, but Neil Harris says it is and he is very happy with it, so thats what matters :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
User avatar
Forever Blue
Admin
 
Posts: 125169
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: IS OUR SQUAD TOO LIGHT ???

Postby Blueman39 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:21 pm

Midfield is a worry especially if Tomlin was to be out fir any length of time then we would lose most of our creativity.
But we have to trust in Harris and most clubs in the championship have been quiet on the transfer front.
Top 6 is a minimum target for us and I believe we are a top 6 squad
Blueman39
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:57 am

Re: IS OUR SQUAD TOO LIGHT ???

Postby skidemin » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:29 pm

welshrarebit wrote:These are unusual times. What have other sides been doing?



they are unusual.. but i dont remember a year where we used less than 25... and this squad has a couple with question marks regarding how much use we might have out of them.. Vassell , Bamba { will his recovery continue or is he done } and the 2 loanees at this point are maybees { hope they set the world on fire but }...
skidemin
 
Posts: 2319
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:45 pm

Re: IS OUR SQUAD TOO LIGHT ???

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:30 pm

Right-back is a concern and I think it won't be long before Leandro Bacuna is deployed there on a regular basis.

The OP does make a good point about squad strength but I suppose the counter argument is how does it match up against all other Championship squads?

After all every other club is suffering from the same financial constraints brought on by the COVID-19 crisis.
User avatar
Tony Blue Williams
 
Posts: 13934
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:25 am

Re: IS OUR SQUAD TOO LIGHT ???

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:36 pm

skidemin wrote:
welshrarebit wrote:These are unusual times. What have other sides been doing?



they are unusual.. but i dont remember a year where we used less than 25... and this squad has a couple with question marks regarding how much use we might have out of them.. Vassell , Bamba { will his recovery continue or is he done } and the 2 loanees at this point are maybees { hope they set the world on fire but }...


Good point but I bet if you look back at previous seasons there are always a couple of players who would fill the 'deadwood' description.Matthew Connolly has definitely filled the Vassell role for the past few seasons (always injured and never plays). That said I would bank on Bamba still being able to do a job at CB if called upon.
User avatar
Tony Blue Williams
 
Posts: 13934
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:25 am

Re: IS OUR SQUAD TOO LIGHT ???

Postby skidemin » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:36 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Right-back is a concern and I think it won't be long before Leandro Bacuna is deployed there on a regular basis.

The OP does make a good point about squad strength but I suppose the counter argument is how does it match up against all other Championship squads?

After all every other club is suffering from the same financial constraints brought on by the COVID-19 crisis.



the other clubs bit would be nice to know...
skidemin
 
Posts: 2319
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:45 pm

Re: IS OUR SQUAD TOO LIGHT ???

Postby fred keenor » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:50 pm

Absolutely too light.
1 RB
1 Attacking 10
And if we play Moore and Glatzel up front we only have Harris to call on , an untried inexperienced striker.
Any injuries and we will be found out.
Hopefully with NE going there will be room for another RB and a no 10
fred keenor
 
Posts: 2271
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: IS OUR SQUAD TOO LIGHT ???

Postby Bluebird-in-Jackland » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:23 pm

The only position I am worried about is RB. Osei-Tutu really had one of the worst debuts I’ve seen in a long time. Harris has said Ojo can play as a number 10 so he can cover Tomlin. CM I think is as strong as it could be with Bacuna, Ralls and Vaulks fighting it out for the 2 places. Although I wouldn’t be surprised to see Pack play in a couple of games.
Bluebird-in-Jackland
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:51 pm

Re: IS OUR SQUAD TOO LIGHT ???

Postby fred keenor » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:56 pm

Based on the performances so far , can anyone think differently.
Players need to look themselves in the mirror this week, 5 goals conceded and none scored.
Not acceptable.
fred keenor
 
Posts: 2271
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: IS OUR SQUAD TOO LIGHT ???

Postby Escott1927 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:03 pm

Without Tomlin there is very little creativity in this squad. Without him in the team we play with 3 midfielders who work very hard but lack that creative spark. Add to that our two CB's aren't particularly good with the ball at their feet either. With that making up the spine of our team we are always going to struggle to pass it through teams. I dont want to go back to how it was under warnock last season, where everything was pumped long, but I do think we need to play to our strengths and be more direct, especially as we just spent 2mill on a target man.
Escott1927
 
Posts: 749
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:55 am

Re: IS OUR SQUAD TOO LIGHT ???

Postby TopCat CCFC » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:10 pm

Blueman39 wrote:Midfield is a worry especially if Tomlin was to be out fir any length of time then we would lose most of our creativity.
But we have to trust in Harris and most clubs in the championship have been quiet on the transfer front.
Top 6 is a minimum target for us and I believe we are a top 6 squad


Agree Top 6 most of us would hope for - After the way we ended last season .
User avatar
TopCat CCFC
Moderator
 
Posts: 19581
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:40 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: IS OUR SQUAD TOO LIGHT ???

Postby bluesince62 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:15 am

fred keenor wrote:Absolutely too light.
1 RB
1 Attacking 10
And if we play Moore and Glatzel up front we only have Harris to call on , an untried inexperienced striker.
Any injuries and we will be found out.
Hopefully with NE going there will be room for another RB and a no 10



My thoughts too :thumbup: add the wages being saved from mendez laing in,and hopefully Harris can add 2/3 more "starters"
In truth,I thought that Hoilett might have gone,and maybe try mls,for me at times last year he looked laboured,yes he tracks backup he's not the same player of late to me? So I'd add in another winger if possible to the two posistions you noted in your post :thumbup: :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62
 
Posts: 3470
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:02 pm



Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bluesince62, Google [Bot], tonyinthai, WestCoastBlue and 142 guests

Disclaimer :
The views and comments entered in these forums are personal and are not necessarily those of the management of this board.
The management of this board is not responsible for the content of any external internet sites.