Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

NEIL HARRIS: “ARE WE SUFFERING A HANGOVER”

Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:20 pm

NEIL HARRIS:

Cardiff City manager Neil Harris told BBC Sport Wales

"Not the start I had in mind, not at all. I feel a bit sucker-punched in the sense we dominated possession. We didn't hit the heights we have for the last nine months.

"It's the sort of game that if you aren't going to show the quality you need, you need it to finish 0-0, we needed that clean sheet mentality today.

"We were architects of our own downfall today. We didn't show the consistencies of a quality Championship side, you can't give two goals away like the ones we did. Both goals were really poor from us.

"Are we suffering a hangover from how last season ended? I understand the relevance of the question, but I hope not and I don't sense that we are."

“My squad is big enough and the quality is there, we just need to get the momentum going again.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: NEIL HARRIS: “ARE WE SUFFERING A HANGOVER”

Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:26 pm

Hmmmm?

I am not convinced at all, just my strong view as a fan.

This squad / team for me is weaker than last season and should actually be stronger, if we want promotion.

Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:34 pm

Very very early days.

I'll see where we are are 10/15 matches and then judge.

It's just one game and hopefully it'll be a big wake up call.

This is the same team that finished 5th in this league last season, and there's not a huge difference in the quality of other teams from last season.

But far too early to judge anything.

Brentford lost away at Birmingham, it doesn't mean they're going to have a bad season.

Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:44 pm

I think we are three players short of a top six finish. Harris no doubt knows it but he isn't going to say we lack a bit of quality as he will try to lift the players for the next game but i'll be very surprised if we don't bring in another two to three players by the end of the window..
I'd also understand if the club doesn't want to spend money and stick with what we have :ayatollah:

Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:12 am

Jasonccfc wrote:I think we are three players short of a top six finish. Harris no doubt knows it but he isn't going to say we lack a bit of quality as he will try to lift the players for the next game but i'll be very surprised if we don't bring in another two to three players by the end of the window..
I'd also understand if the club doesn't want to spend money and stick with what we have :ayatollah:

Good sensible post mate :thumbup: I'm hoping he can get 2/3 "starters" we are a little light on experience,all very well signing young players from big clubs,but they must be good enough to hold their own.still not harris's squad persay, if you discount the two loans, he has just been able to add Moore on a contract to date,so same players as you say who finished 5th last year.
It's strange how some who had changed their opinions regards Harris,after he got us to the play offs ,have changed again after one game,now questioning whether he is the right man? I said a couple of weeks back,that the knives were never put away,regarding him,and wouldn't be long before they were out again,but never thought it would be one game in,in a 45 game season!! :old: :bluebird:

Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:54 am

no mate not a hangover.
we are not Man City and not Barca... pick a team and play a formation that works.. and siuts..
24 th best at passing short
24th best at possession.
top 2 at touches in opponents box.
and win games.,
who gives two hoots about sideways passes when 90% of goals are scored from 2 passes or less..#
i know a few do.... but reallyt i like winnin
g

Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:52 am

We are not suffering a hangover we are just weaker than last season

Tutu is not a right back and we shouldn't be expecting the kid to fill that role anyway on his own over a season

Ojo looks OK at best. Nothing special and not as good as Mendez laing.

Hoilett looks like his legs have gone

Tomlin is injured and not fit, he looked way off the pace when he came on.

Nelson was awful all game and his reading of the game is piss poor. He struggles against clever strikers at this level who just peel off him easily.

Harris played 3 at the back most of pre season then reverted to a back 4 yesterday

Moore and GLatzel are too similar and won't work as a partnership. We needed a player like Danny ward to come on and change things up but we lost him aswell.

The squad looks weak in my opinion and the starting 11 is definitely not as good as last year

Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:42 am

This has always been my fear with Harris. He is a product of the modern manager school that knocks out at least 50 a year and you have two paths. Start off at the bottom and have a good CV of minor upon minor success and prove yourself or you were a club legend and get a free pass to one of the bigger clubs.

I just don't see anything that give me hope that he has "his" way, a difference maker. We have now fallen into the "sucker punch" possession based game because the social media and luvvie journalists want the game played the proper way, even though its already outdated, but they don't teach you the heavy metal of football game plans of Liverpool and Leeds (what a game !!)

Warnock was a dinosaur, but a bloody successful one, he has his way. Klopp has his way, Beisla has his way, Pep has his way. They buy players who can play a style. Remember Pep in his first season, its was laughable but a few hundred million soon sorted that out until Klopp can along with a totally different style, less money and the big trophy.

We have 4 centre backs, 3 "8's", one shit "6", two "9's", 2 inside forwards but one has little appliciation and the other knows his pace has gone and a injury prone often unfit "10". Make the adjustments, and create a game plan with what you have unless David Silva is a Monday morning mysteria signing

So this is on Harris like it was Trollope. The similarities are frightening.

Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:32 am

Its been a poor start but i think some of the judgements being passed on the squad and the team are a bit over the top. Its just two games. Hearing negative comments about Harris is also ridiculous. Seven weeks ago we were in a play off semi-final! My observation is the team are not quite fit or mentally sharp enough yet. Ralls and Tomlin are key players for us and we need them back 100%.Ojo, Tutu, Moore have only played once for us. I also think there may be much more to the Mendez saga than we know. It may well have unsettled the dressing room. The team need to just go back to basics defensively, the big focus for me is a clean sheet and happily take a point next week.

Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:35 am

Replies on FB:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:38 am

The fact that we played with 5 at the back in preseason, id imagine that's how we've been training as well - Until Harris realised it wasnt going to work when we came up against half decent opposition in the cup. We've probably spent the short amount of time between seasons training with a formation we wont use again. Add to that we are trying to play a possession based game with a team not built to play that way. If Harris wants to play that way he needs to get a few players in that can- starting with a CM and a CB.

Until then we need to play to our strengths and get some decent balls into Moore. Why blow our budget on a target man and try keep the ball on the deck? Might as well have stuck with Glatzel and spent the money else where.

Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:43 am

EastleighBlue wrote:Its been a poor start but i think some of the judgements being passed on the squad and the team are a bit over the top. Its just two games. Hearing negative comments about Harris is also ridiculous. Seven weeks ago we were in a play off semi-final! My observation is the team are not quite fit or mentally sharp enough yet. Ralls and Tomlin are key players for us and we need them back 100%.Ojo, Tutu, Moore have only played once for us. I also think there may be much more to the Mendez saga than we know. It may well have unsettled the dressing room. The team need to just go back to basics defensively, the big focus for me is a clean sheet and happily take a point next week.

I can’t help thinking your right, regarding the seven weeks since the end of last season, and what’s happened since, particularly regarding NML. The whole situation has definitely had an unsettling effect on the players, and the lack of information, apart from a few senior player in the squad (allegedly), hasn’t helped.
It’s was obvious to see yesterday, City looked lethargic and uncoordinated.
Something is not right, and the Club needs to sort it ASAP.

Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:44 am

No.. we're missing players who drove play forward at pace.. Adomah, Sanderson, and Laing.

Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:28 pm

rumpo kid wrote:No.. we're missing players who drove play forward at pace.. Adomah, Sanderson, and Laing.

Only Laing was in the team who beat Fulham in the playoffs?

Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:50 pm

I think they would have played better on a hangover :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was a poor performance, we do need more bodies through the door but at the same time, we probably went into that game expecting to win. Wednesday played well, we couldn't handle it. But don't forget, we lost on opening day to Wigan last season and ended up in the play offs. It's a marathon not a sprint.