Interesting

Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:24 pm

Facts :
Attachments
243BA22B-A3D8-4D0A-8A69-34BB4AF80FF5.jpeg
243BA22B-A3D8-4D0A-8A69-34BB4AF80FF5.jpeg (60.78 KiB) Viewed 1720 times

Re: Interesting

Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:40 pm

I get the idea behind this but it's a bit of a non starter. If you do the same for numerous other causes of deaths you get near identical results.

Percentage of the UK that has not died of _______

Cancer
165,000 deaths annually, UK population 66.65million

99.975% Survival rate

Automobile
1,800 deaths annually

99.99997% Survival rate

Coronary Heart Disease
74,000 deaths annually

99.9989% Survival rate

Suicide
7000 deaths annually

99.9998% Survival rate

Your numbers have actually either over estimated the Covid deaths or underestimated the population as their survival rate is too low.

Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:06 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:I get the idea behind this but it's a bit of a non starter. If you do the same for numerous other causes of deaths you get near identical results.

Cancer

99.975% Survival rate

Automobile
1,800 deaths annually

99.99997% Survival rate

Coronary Heart Disease
74,000 deaths annually

99.9989% Survival rate

Suicide
7000 deaths annually

99.9998% Survival rate

Your numbers have actually either over estimated the Covid deaths or underestimated the population as their survival rate is too low.

no doubt many of those death numbers will increase this year and next...

Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:40 pm

This graphic is interesting... Replace "TERRORISM" with "COVID-19"

Actual causes of death vs. Googled vs. media coverage

Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:45 pm

NPCF3 wrote:This graphic is interesting... Replace "TERRORISM" with "COVID-19"

Actual causes of death vs. Googled vs. media coverage

would be very interesting to see a current graphic mate.. not that anyone cares.. which is the really puzzling thing..

Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:41 am

skidemin wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:I get the idea behind this but it's a bit of a non starter. If you do the same for numerous other causes of deaths you get near identical results.

Cancer

99.975% Survival rate

Automobile
1,800 deaths annually

99.99997% Survival rate

Coronary Heart Disease
74,000 deaths annually

99.9989% Survival rate

Suicide
7000 deaths annually

99.9998% Survival rate

Of course they will. I’m not trying to claim otherwise. I just think it’s bit of a crap statistic to try get a point across. Cancer is, as far as I’m aware, the highest killer in the UK yet the results of it are practically negligible from a statistical view.

Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:03 am

WestCoastBlue wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Cancer

99.975% Survival rate

Automobile
1,800 deaths annually

99.99997% Survival rate

Coronary Heart Disease
74,000 deaths annually

99.9989% Survival rate

Suicide
7000 deaths annually

99.9998% Survival rate

Of course they will. I’m not trying to claim otherwise. I just think it’s bit of a crap statistic to try get a point across. Cancer is, as far as I’m aware, the highest killer in the UK yet the results of it are practically negligible from a statistical view.

honestly mate...?
if the whole covid discusion had been a grown up one id probably agree.. but it hasnt been...and its refreshing to see graphs and stats making these points as opposed to the scaremonger stats, graphs and figures that were worse...
im not sure that cancer killing 4 times as many of us as covid is neglible either and god knows how many that is likely to rise to..

Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:24 am

skidemin wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Cancer

99.975% Survival rate

Automobile
1,800 deaths annually

99.99997% Survival rate

Coronary Heart Disease
74,000 deaths annually

99.9989% Survival rate

Suicide
7000 deaths annually

99.9998% Survival rate

honestly mate...?
if the whole covid discusion had been a grown up one id probably agree.. but it hasnt been...and its refreshing to see graphs and stats making these points as opposed to the scaremonger stats, graphs and figures that were worse...
im not sure that cancer killing 4 times as many of us as covid is neglible either and god knows how many that is likely to rise to..

“Negligible from a statistical view” cmon mate I’m obviously not trying to imply cancer is not an issue but over the course of a year your chance of dying from cancer is 0.0025%. Every single death from every possible cause in the UK in 2019 would give you a 0.0091% chance of dying.
That’s why I think it’s a crap stat because trying to frame Covid as a non issue completely falls apart when you compare it to literally anything else because the difference ends up being only a few ten thousandths of a percentage.

Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:47 am

WestCoastBlue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Cancer

99.975% Survival rate

Automobile
1,800 deaths annually

99.99997% Survival rate

Coronary Heart Disease
74,000 deaths annually

99.9989% Survival rate

Suicide
7000 deaths annually

99.9998% Survival rate

honestly mate...?

“Negligible from a statistical view” cmon mate I’m obviously not trying to imply cancer is not an issue but over the course of a year your chance of dying from cancer is 0.0025%. Every single death from every possible cause in the UK in 2019 would give you a 0.0091% chance of dying.
That’s why I think it’s a crap stat because trying to frame Covid as a non issue completely falls apart when you compare it to literally anything else because the difference ends up being only a few ten thousandths of a percentage.

frame covid? its called putting it into perspective even if the percentage is slightly out... there has been no perspective for however many months... and tbh its about time there was .

Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:22 pm

Let's turn back time - And Belgium who could not be bothered at the start of all this with their " type of death " -

Let's put it down to Covid - I did say at the time about their reporting ;) :thumbup:
Post a reply