Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BREAKING NEIL HARRIS: “ UPDATES CARDIFF CITY FANS “

Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:28 am

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: “ NEIL HARRIS TODAY UPDATES CARDIFF CITY FANS “ :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Thursday 17th Season 2020

Plenty for Neil Harris to talk about today.

NEIL HARRIS:

Forest boss Sabri under pressure?

“Not for me to comment.

“Football is crazy. You’d like to think he’s not under pressure after one league game!

“He’s a really nice fella, a really nice bloke.”

Lee Tomlin fit to start?

“He’s not much further down the line, fitness wise.

“He is going to be on the training pitch tomorrow, but he has had a frustrating week, fitness-wise.

“He is not going to be fit enough to start the game tomorrow, without giving too much away, team-selection wise.

“We have just got to be patient and get him up to speed as quickly as we can but in a safe environment where we don’t rule him out for a long period.

“We just have to be respectful to Tommo and appreciate he has been out for a long period and let him heal in his own time and look forward to having him for the rest of the season, hopefully.”

:bluebird: :bluebird: “ READ ALL NEIL HARRIS UPDATES BELOW “ :bluebird: :bluebird:

In charge from the start this season, how has that been?

“It’s been bizarre, starting the season three weeks after the last one.

“It’s a little bit different, but every day I have really enjoyed. Of course I am enjoying it, it’s nice to be here at the start of the season.

“But I know the task in front of me. Bedding in the new players and adding to the group is the task at the moment.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Plenty for Neil Harris

Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:59 am

NEIL HARRIS:

What hasn’t gone right so far?

“Yeah, I spoke after Northampton. I don’t really want to revisit that.

“Sheffield Wednesday I thought we were the much better team, dominated the majority of it with the football.

“The game was won with mistakes by us.

“That sort of game has to be 0-0 if we aren’t creative enough to win it.

“We shot ourselves in the foot against Sheffield Wednesday.

“For me, it’s been sloppy mentally, the first week. We quickly have to move past a brilliant last season to make sure our mentality is 100 percent spot on.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:59 am

NEIL HARRIS:

This league doesn’t give you a chance to get over that, does it? Concerns about going there?

“No, we are really looking forward to it.

“They had a defeat at QPR last week so they will be looking to get on the scoreboard.

“We had two really good games against them last year and we were neck and neck at the end of the year too.

“The players have had a good week on the training pitch and we are looking forward to the battle at the City Ground.”

Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:03 am

NEIL HARRIS:

Look to bring someone in to create things like Lee Tomlin?

“Yeah, I understand the principle of the question.

“Am I looking for a little more creativity in the final third? Yeah I think so.

“Firstly, let’s be respectful to the rest of the squad, we have got some good players who can be creative in the final third.

“Would I like some more strength in depth in creativity or a forward area? Yeah, I think it’s safe to say we are looking at the top end of the pitch. That end product. The business-end of the pitch.

“It’s difficult to find someone at the right value.

“Would I like to add to the squad? Yes I would like to add to the squad, but we also have to make sure we work within my financial constraints.”

Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:05 am

Sat Sept 5th Northampton Town 3 Cardiff City 0 :cry: :cry: League Cup 1st rd. :cry: :cry:

Sat Sep 12 CARDIFF CITY 0 SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY 2 :cry: :cry:

Sky Sports Sat Sep 19 Nottingham Forest A 12:30pm

Sat Sep 26 READING H

Sat Oct 03 Blackburn Rovers A
Sat Oct 17 Preston North End A
Wed Oct 21 AFC BOURNEMOUTH H
Sat Oct 24 MIDDLESBROUGH H

Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:06 am

NEIL HARRIS:

Understanding with the board to replace Etheridge and NML?

“I don’t think we will be spending money on transfer fees for people to come in.

“Kieffer was sensible business and will grow with us.

“I’m hoping there is room to manoeuvre to bring someone else in. It’s difficult times at the moment in the football industry.

“But creativity, goals and end product is a must for us.”

Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:35 am

NEIL HARRIS:

Bale - were you tempted?

“It did cross my mind!

“If he needs a loan where Real Madrid don’t need any money then we would be a great option for him!

“Near home. But looks like Tottenham have just nicked him in front of us, with £300,000 more to contribute than we have… a week.”

Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:18 am

NEIL HARRIS:

Fans, would you like them back in?

“Yeah, hell yeah! Without shadow of doubt.

“I didn’t make a song and dance at the time, but we missed our fans in the play-off campaign.

“Our fans miss us and we miss them as well.

“I am fortunate I can still go to games, watch games, I went to Reading v Luton in the week, Southend v West Ham u23s the week before and I love it. Nothing better.

“I know fans crave it, children miss it, the junior Bluebirds.

“We are in communication with the Welsh Government, working hard to make that happen.

“Me and my players, we would love to have the fans back in.

“Society needs it, it misses football. Football misses the fans, from a financial perspective it impacts on my squad.

“The quicker the fans get back in the better.

“I will emphasise that things aren’t getting better in the world and in the UK. As much as we are desperate, we really have to go safety first.”

Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:20 pm

NEIL HARRIS:

Have the Welsh Gov, English Gov and EFL been telling you what to do...

“Yeah, we are governed by our government here in Wales and rightly so.

“As always, health and safety comes first, always. Health and safety and family comes first.

“Fans not being in the stadium is huge and things aren’t going to improve for us as a club or the EFL if fans don’t come back in.

“Chris (Wilder) always speaks really well.

“My players say to me we can go and eat in a restaurant and drink in a pub, at the right time, but they can’t sit next to each other in the changing room.

“Rules are rules and we follow the rules.

“Working in a football ground in a lower capacity, if managed correctly. Test events on the weekend, even if we can only get 6,000 in that would be a huge bonus for the football club but for the fans as well.

“It’s tough times, it really is. My nan is in a home and I can’t see my nan, but I might be able to go to a football match.”

Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:20 pm

NEIL HARRIS:

Going again after last year, is it hard to get going again?

“We have talked this week about mentality, being clear in our minds, the focus we have had in abundance, the clean-sheet mentality, going that extra yard.

“Look at the two goals we conceded last week, very unlike us. We never gave ourselves a chance.

“It cost us at least a point, if not three.

“Subconscious from last year? We have lost one league game. You never want to lose your first one but focus and mentality has been a big talking point this week.”

Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:36 pm

NEIL HARRIS:

Sabri under pressure?

“Not for me to comment.

“Football is crazy. You’d like to think he’s not under pressure after one league game!

“He’s a really nice fella, a really nice bloke.”

Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:37 pm

NEIL HARRIS:

Lose one game, everyone is under pressure, turn it around quickly?

“Everyone wants to win the first game. There was disappointment about the cup, but that’s an isolation. That’s gone.

“My biggest thing is the mentality of the players. Why has there been sloppiness or lack of focus? That’s the big thing for me.

“It’s the focus and mentality I need to get right again.”

Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:37 pm

NEIL HARRIS:

Are Premier League doing enough to help lower down?

“That’s the big question.

“I believe the Premier League has an interest in protecting the football pyramid. We love the game in the UK and other countries who follow our games closely, they love it because of the football pyramid, because of promotion, play-offs, underdogs in cup competitions.

“Overseas is slightly different, because they just see the Premier League.

“The Premier League should give care and attention to the EFL, but what the depth of that should be I don’t know.”

Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:38 pm

NEIL HARRIS:

A few clubs close to the edge?

“That’s why it comes back to the rules and regulations. Salary caps in Leagues One and Two.

“Bury went bust because it was ill-managed. Wigan, was it the right takeover? Well, we don’t know but it looks like the wrong takeover.

“We just want it to be governed properly.

“If the Premier League bailed out every club every time it got into trouble, where is the lesson to learn?”

Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:39 pm

NEIL HARRIS:

Have you had to crack the whip this week?

“In a positive way, yes. I wouldn’t say crack the whip, I’ve reminded the players of the standards that drove us to success last season.

“I talked to individuals, sat down and did analysis with them.

“Are they 100 per cent? Guide them back to that 100 per cent. Also, give respect to good players.

Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:39 pm

NEIL HARRIS:

Neil Warnock Covid-19, message for him?

“It won’t keep him down, will it? He’ll be back in the dugout soon.

“Everyone hopes he is fine and good and back on the touchline soon.”

Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:40 pm

NEIL HARRIS:

Ojo a No.10 or a winger?

“Primarily on the right, coming inside, but has capabilities of playing at No.10 and on the right.

“We have been crying out for a left-footed wide player. He can be effective in the No.10 position but then you lose your option in the wide area.

“Sheyi gives us an option in two or three positions and you always want options to rotate, especially when there are three games a week.”

Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:42 pm

NEIL HARRIS:

James Waite, scope for him to go higher than Weston-super-Mare?

“With young lads, we can offer the players, we are very proactive getting the players out and playing the right level.

“Sometimes you have to say the balance between waiting and waiting… We didn’t have any interest for James at Football League or Conference level and it feels like home for him as well.

“It felt like the right move for him because he wasn’t going to be in our first-team squad.”

Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:21 pm

NEIL HARRIS:

Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:34 pm

NEIL HARRIS:

Re: BREAKING NEIL HARRIS:

Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:08 pm

NEIL HARRIS:

Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:12 pm

NEIL HARRIS:

Money is tight, what does it say that a footballer on £600k is coming back to the Premier League?

“It shows the Premier League is a different ball game than the EFL.

“We are seeing at the moment it’s not being governed by football clubs in stadiums now, like it used to be.

“We are not just talking about Gareth Bale possibly coming back to Tottenham, Chelsea also spent £89m as well.

“It’s very tough (to implement salary caps in the Premier League). We just want it governed properly. If you’ve got money to spend, spend it, but rules and regulations should be there.

“That’s what the EFL have done.

“The Premier League is a different body and governed by different rules to us.”

Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:14 pm

Lee Tomlin fit to start?

NEIL HARRIS:

“He’s not much further down the line, fitness wise.

“He is going to be on the training pitch tomorrow, but he has had a frustrating week, fitness-wise.

“He is not going to be fit enough to start the game tomorrow, without giving too much away, team-selection wise.

“We have just got to be patient and get him up to speed as quickly as we can but in a safe environment where we don’t rule him out for a long period.

“We just have to be respectful to Tommo and appreciate he has been out for a long period and let him heal in his own time and look forward to having him for the rest of the season, hopefully.”

Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:23 pm

NEIL HARRIS:

In charge from the start this season, how has that been?

“It’s been bizarre, starting the season three weeks after the last one.

“It’s a little bit different, but every day I have really enjoyed. Of course I am enjoying it, it’s nice to be here at the start of the season.

“But I know the task in front of me. Bedding in the new players and adding to the group is the task at the moment.”

Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:30 pm

Forest, there for a few years not your happiest spell?

NEIL HARRIS:

“I enjoyed it in so many ways… But that’s irrelevant now as manager of Cardiff City.

“It’s about results on a pitch and the game on Saturday.

“It’s one we are looking forward to. There were two really good games against Forest last year and let’s hope for the same outcome this weekend.”

Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:38 pm

Every Premier League player donate a week’s wages to Football League?

NEIL HARRIS:

“Well, where do you stop with that? Should it go to the NHS? Charities? That’s individual choice.”

Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:43 pm

NEIL HARRIS:

Osei-Tutu, need another right back there?

“It’s an area… I mentioned earlier we are focusing on creativity, goals, do we have enough goals. Then we need to focus on where else I want to strengthen the side.

“Players have gone out and we have brought three lads in. A lot of players have gone out since January.

“Looking at priorities, having those discussions with the board.

“Targets are ongoing, speaking to agents…

“Jordi needs to settle, find his feet, but we have seen glimpses already of what a player he is going to be. The same with Dion last year.

“Leandro Bacuna has played there, he is not an out-and-out right back but showed he is capable, so if need be, Greg Cunningham and Joe Bennett can fill in.

“But strength in depth-wise, it might be an area which we consider, but creativity at the moment is certainly where we are focusing.”