Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Liam Feeney '

Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:04 pm

Liam Feeney Former Bolton Wanderers, Cardiff City and Blackburn Rovers midfielder joins Tranmere on loan

The winger has made the move to the League Two side

By John McDougall

Thursday 17th September 2020

Former Bolton Wanderers midfielder Liam Feeney will come up against the Trotters this season after joining League Two rivals Tranmere Rovers on loan.

The 33-year-old has joined the Prenton Park side for the season from League One outfit Blackpool.

Feeney had two spells at Wanderers, the first of which was on loan in 2013 from Millwall, but he made only a handful of appearances before being recalled.

He joined Bolton permanently on a two-year deal in the summer of 2014 under Dougie Freedman when his Millwall contract expired.

Over the next two seasons, Feeney went on to make 88 appearances for Bolton and scored eight goals.

However, he spent part of the 2015/16 season on loan at Ipswich Town and later joined Blackburn Rovers in the summer of 2016.

A loan spell away from Ewood Park at Cardiff City later followed before joining the Tangerines in 2018.

Feeney will link up with another former Bolton player, Kaiyne Woolery, who has also joined Tranmere, as well as former Wanderers skipper Jay Spearing.

Speaking to the Tranmere website, Rovers boss Mike Jackson said: “He brings great experience and good options to the team in the final third. Liam had the highest number of assists across all three leagues last season, and he is a great signing and adds more competition for places in the team.

“We need experience in the final third and he will bring a calmness to that area. I have said before the final third is the hardest area of the pitch and he will prove to be a good asset.

“A lot of time and effort has gone into making this move happen. Tranmere Rovers is an attractive football club to come and play for and we should never come away from that.

“We are a proud and a successful club and we want to build a team that will bring more success to Tranmere Rovers and a team the fans will be proud of.

“Liam comes across very well and he is hungry to succeed. He has the ability to play off both the left and right-hand side, and he also played wing back last season too.

“He is a bit behind the rest of the team in terms of fitness, but we will be working hard with him. Liam is a great addition to the team and we are looking forward to working with him.”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Liam Feeney '

Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:16 pm

I had completely forgotten that we had him on loan - it must be old age particularly as it was quite recently! :old: :old:

His only real contribution if I remember was crossing the ball for Danny Ward to head an equaliser at Fulham early in the season a few years ago.

Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:22 pm

davids wrote:I had completely forgotten that we had him on loan - it must be old age particularly as it was quite recently! :old: :old:

His only real contribution if I remember was crossing the ball for Danny Ward to head an equaliser at Fulham early in the season a few years ago.

David, he was virtually useless for us, thats why you forgot him :lol:

Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:15 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
davids wrote:I had completely forgotten that we had him on loan - it must be old age particularly as it was quite recently! :old: :old:

Yes that cross was pretty much his sole contribution during his time here

Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:31 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Very true.

There are also plenty of others who've been useless but try as I may I just can't seem to forget them!

Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:35 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Yes that cross was pretty much his sole contribution during his time here

Very much.

Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:35 pm

davids wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Very true.

There are also plenty of others who've been useless but try as I may I just can't seem to forget them!

:lol: :lol: