Released Cardiff youngster signs for Premiership team

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby NIGELNIGLE » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:33 pm

Premier League side Crystal Palace sign promising Welsh youngster after being released by Cardiff City
He was tipped for promising things but was let go by the Bluebirds this summer.

19 years old Cardiff City under 23 player released and signed up by Crystal Palace.

Friday 18th September 2020

Crystal Palace have swooped for promising Welsh youngster Sion Spence after he was let go by Cardiff City this summer.

There was talk that the 19-year-old playmaker was one of the bright hopes within the Bluebirds ranks, however in the summer it was announced he would be released by the Welsh capital city club.

Many a City fan who had followed the player's progress through the academy ranks raised an eyebrow when he was axed. He, along with Cameron Coxe, was arguably the highest-profile name among the list of 10 academy players who were released.

Spence, who was selected for the under-23s side when he was just 16, netted 11 goals in 15 appearances during Cardiff's PDL2 South title triumph in the 2018/19 campaign.

He also won the Academy Player of the Year award in the 2017/18 season and spent a period on loan with Barry Town United last year.

But, it appears, Cardiff's loss is Crystal Palace's gain as the Premier League outfit announced on Friday morning that they had taken on five players for their own academy, including Penarth product Spence.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foo ... e-18957563
Attachments
1D84D418-C79C-4608-AF4C-7EFA46570A7F.jpeg
1D84D418-C79C-4608-AF4C-7EFA46570A7F.jpeg (39.09 KiB) Viewed 5034 times
NIGELNIGLE

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Released Cardiff youngster signs for Premiership team

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:53 pm

It just gets worse behind the scenes, does anyone know about football at our club?

It’s heartbreaking :cry:
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Sven » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:28 pm

It is certainly heart breaking on two counts...

Firstly that a recently inept City in the academyvareamay have let a potential future player go; and secondly that he should sign for some obscure Scottish side based in London

Definitely something strange going on :(
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby pembroke allan » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:36 pm

Wonder what teams the other 4 youngsters came from? Sounds as if got space at their academy and done a bit of hoovering to see if can get one out of the 5 brought in to make the grade...But something wrong that a youngster can be considered surplus to our requirements, but a premier league club all be it a lower half one thinks he may be a prospect? Time will tell if he makes the grade as others have failed after joining premier clubs....
pembroke allan

Postby skidemin » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:16 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Wonder what teams the other 4 youngsters came from? Sounds as if got space at their academy and done a bit of hoovering to see if can get one out of the 5 brought in to make the grade...But something wrong that a youngster can be considered surplus to our requirements, but a premier league club all be it a lower half one thinks he may be a prospect? Time will tell if he makes the grade as others have failed after joining premier clubs....

who joined a premier league club and failed ?
skidemin

Postby bluebird58 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:25 pm

He went to Barry Comprehensive with my son and got 10 A’s at GCSE before the academy would take him on.

It does seem a strange decision but I hope he makes a career for himself. I know that Welsh League football is not a high standard but he was well worth his place on loan at Barry Town United during the first half of last season, playing with experienced “grown-ups”.

Perhaps the new regime at the club wants to start from scratch? Who knows. But I wish Sion Spence all the best.
First game Cardiff v Coventry City 1967
bluebird58

Postby skidemin » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:39 pm

bluebird58 wrote:He went to Barry Comprehensive with my son and got 10 A’s at GCSE before the academy would take him on.

It does seem a strange decision but I hope he makes a career for himself. I know that Welsh League football is not a high standard but he was well worth his place on loan at Barry Town United during the first half of last season, playing with experienced “grown-ups”.

Perhaps the new regime at the club wants to start from scratch? Who knows. But I wish Sion Spence all the best.

yes they are building pathways .. :laughing5:
skidemin

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:04 am

skidemin wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Wonder what teams the other 4 youngsters came from? Sounds as if got space at their academy and done a bit of hoovering to see if can get one out of the 5 brought in to make the grade...But something wrong that a youngster can be considered surplus to our requirements, but a premier league club all be it a lower half one thinks he may be a prospect? Time will tell if he makes the grade as others have failed after joining premier clubs....

who joined a premier league club and failed ?

The kid that went to Newport via man u after city let him go been well documented on here... but I was generalizing about other youngsters from other clubs that fail to make grade it's not unique situation only to city that's for sure :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby Bluebird-in-Jackland » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:41 am

I’ll just post this for the people who always want to find a fault with our club. Just because the club are in the PL doesn’t mean their academy is a better standard. We’ve released him and a club who finished lower than us have signed him for their academy. But of a non story really. Although I do wish Sion well.
Attachments
922DF5F7-2D8F-4828-BBCB-1B0B00B84DF8.jpeg
922DF5F7-2D8F-4828-BBCB-1B0B00B84DF8.jpeg (148.11 KiB) Viewed 3713 times
Bluebird-in-Jackland

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:39 am

Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:I’ll just post this for the people who always want to find a fault with our club. Just because the club are in the PL doesn’t mean their academy is a better standard. We’ve released him and a club who finished lower than us have signed him for their academy. But of a non story really. Although I do wish Sion well.

Interesting mate. He may well be nowhere near the grade and gets released from there, then it will be seen as a good move by our academy.
I’ve always thought at that age it’s a gamble - some kept and turn out sh!t / some let go and do well. We aren’t the only club that this has / will happen to.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:25 am

Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:I’ll just post this for the people who always want to find a fault with our club. Just because the club are in the PL doesn’t mean their academy is a better standard. We’ve released him and a club who finished lower than us have signed him for their academy. But of a non story really. Although I do wish Sion well.

This where posters like you get it wrong, its not having ago at our club we love, its how the regime are running our club many of us dislike.
We dont stop supporting our club, we just dont have to agree with how our club is going backward due to the people running it and how the academy has not produced for years.

Its there in black and white.

Tell me how many players (names) in the last say 11 yrs have we produced that have done well for us?

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Bluebird-in-Jackland » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:45 am

Forever Blue wrote:

This where posters like you get it wrong, its not having ago at our club we love, its how the regime are running our club many of us dislike.
We dont stop supporting our club, we just dont have to agree with how our club is going backward due to the people running it and how the academy has not produced for years.

Tell me how many players (names) in the last say 11 yrs have we produced that have done well for us?

So the same regime that’s got us to the PL twice in the previous 11 years something all before couldn’t even dream of? Whilst I’d love our academy to be successful and produce loads of talent. The most important thing in a football club is the success of the first team. When we had our youngsters coming through like Ledley and Ramsey our first teams success didn’t exactly flourish.

But to go to what I was trying to say with my initial post. Sion has been seen to be surplus to requirements for our U23‘s, now he’s signed for a club who had half the points we did last season at that level and people find a way to have a go at the so called regime. If he wasn’t good enough for our team at that age level he’s not going to be good enough for the first team. It’s as simple as that, nothing to do with the club being good or bad.
Bluebird-in-Jackland

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:55 am

Bluebird-in-Jackland wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

So the same regime that’s got us to the PL twice in the previous 11 years something all before couldn’t even dream of? Whilst I’d love our academy to be successful and produce loads of talent. The most important thing in a football club is the success of the first team. When we had our youngsters coming through like Ledley and Ramsey our first teams success didn’t exactly flourish.

But to go to what I was trying to say with my initial post. Sion has been seen to be surplus to requirements for our U23‘s, now he’s signed for a club who had half the points we did last season at that level and people find a way to have a go at the so called regime. If he wasn’t good enough for our team at that age level he’s not going to be good enough for the first team. It’s as simple as that, nothing to do with the club being good or bad.

The same regime who got us up, but never knew what to when we got there.
The same regime who destroyed our identity/divided our fans/stripped us of respect and pride.
Only gave it partially back when fans finally really stood up to thim.
Worse times in my 49 yrs of following City.

Also why people including myself are not currently happy is because we want to see pride/passion in our teams, not asking for big money spending etc.

I love my club no matter what, but i dont trust the regime one second and dont feel they care for our club and nothing will change my mind on that after seeing whats happened in the last 11yrs and you should respect other fans feelings.

If you like them, you back them, thats up to you and I cant be against you for it, thats just your feelings.

But my point is, NO ONE IS KNOCKING THE CLUB WE LOVE / JUST THE PEOPLE RUNNING IT.

Answer the question, the academy last 11 yrs???

We want fight/pride and passion from our club, not a lot to ask for. :bluebird: :bluebird:

I can stomach bad results, have done for most of my life from Cardiff City :lol: :bluebird:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Abergavenny » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:00 am

something really goes wrong with our academy system from age 16 upwards Below that age group we have been matching many top teams around the country However when we get hold of the players full time from age 16 it all goes down hill To me it is either we are keeping on players who will never make it ( Always the case at al academies The decent players need players to make up a side) or The coaching from that age is not up to the required standards

My son was at the academy at same time as Ramsey and anyone of us could have made him a player he was that good but taking players and developing them from age 16 we have been awful. We have very few player through our system that other teams have wanted from age 18 to 20 that are of a higher standard than us I can only think of the kid who went to Man city and now in Germany that has down anything
Abergavenny

Postby skidemin » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:25 am

Forever Blue wrote:

no its not as simple as that at all though... and the only certain thing is that you can derive next to nothing from the under 23 table.. unlike the age groups { not that the better team in an under 18s encounter would necessarily have the one on two players with the best prospects in it } .. this is often a random 11 picked across first team players returning from injury , little used first team players needing minutes , scholars , sometimes younger boys given a run out at an older level and very often trialists...its really quite random who your playing..
ive always defended our academy decisions.. but honestly think this one is way off...
skidemin

Postby skidemin » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:36 am

Abergavenny wrote:something really goes wrong with our academy system from age 16 upwards Below that age group we have been matching many top teams around the country However when we get hold of the players full time from age 16 it all goes down hill To me it is either we are keeping on players who will never make it ( Always the case at al academies The decent players need players to make up a side) or The coaching from that age is not up to the required standards

My son was at the academy at same time as Ramsey and anyone of us could have made him a player he was that good but taking players and developing them from age 16 we have been awful. We have very few player through our system that other teams have wanted from age 18 to 20 that are of a higher standard than us I can only think of the kid who went to Man city and now in Germany that has down anything

the point about needing players to make up the numbers...is not said enough..
so many people do not grasp this.. you could have a 14 year old Messi but the other best players in the area your pretty sure will not graduate to player higher than welsh league... you still need them to push the one who has a real chance onwards. .and in this scenario your likely to play a lot of teams collectively stronger and lose..
ive watched Spence a few times and tbh im surprised he was let go. and dont think any of his previous academy managers saw him as anything other than the one with genuine prospects...
skidemin

Postby Bluebird-in-Jackland » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:40 am

skidemin wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

no its not as simple as that at all though... and the only certain thing is that you can derive next to nothing from the under 23 table.. unlike the age groups { not that the better team in an under 18s encounter would necessarily have the one on two players with the best prospects in it } .. this is often a random 11 picked across first team players returning from injury , little used first team players needing minutes , scholars , sometimes younger boys given a run out at an older level and very often trialists...its really quite random who your playing..
ive always defended our academy decisions.. but honestly think this one is way off...

I see what you’re saying, but the fact he was deemed not good enough for the U23’s would suggest he’s not going to make it to the first team. Because as you said you can’t take much from the U23’s, but you can gauge a players abilities and whether they can make the step up to the first team. Like you’ve said U23’s football is all about giving players another chance after 18, or bringing first team players back to fitness. And also to see if the younger boys (17 or younger) are good enough to then go to the first team or continue with their development. So Sion has had a chance to try and progress and he didn’t, my point was that he hasn’t gone to a better club that play at a higher level except for the first team. There’s nothing in this story that can look bad on our club or academy set up. And I don’t know how anyone could think otherwise. Until we get a Cat 1 academy we’re always going to continue having mediocre players come through.
Bluebird-in-Jackland

Postby skidemin » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:01 am

skidemin wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I see what you’re saying, but the fact he was deemed not good enough for the U23’s would suggest he’s not going to make it to the first team. Because as you said you can’t take much from the U23’s, but you can gauge a players abilities and whether they can make the step up to the first team. Like you’ve said U23’s football is all about giving players another chance after 18, or bringing first team players back to fitness. And also to see if the younger boys (17 or younger) are good enough to then go to the first team or continue with their development. So Sion has had a chance to try and progress and he didn’t, my point was that he hasn’t gone to a better club that play at a higher level except for the first team. There’s nothing in this story that can look bad on our club or academy set up. And I don’t know how anyone could think otherwise. Until we get a Cat 1 academy we’re always going to continue having mediocre players come through.

the point with Sion is unlike the normal moans when 6/7/8 are released and leave for non league clubs is that a premier league club have noticed him.. was a previous academy player of the year { thats the whole academy } and pretty much every coach he has had has marked him down a top prospect..and i think im right in saying only 19.... time will tell i suppose...
skidemin

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:24 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

The same regime who got us up, but never knew what to when we got there.
The same regime who destroyed our identity/divided our fans/stripped us of respect and pride.
Only gave it partially back when fans finally really stood up to thim.
Worse times in my 49 yrs of following City.

Also why people including myself are not currently happy is because we want to see pride/passion in our teams, not asking for big money spending etc.

I love my club no matter what, but i dont trust the regime one second and dont feel they care for our club and nothing will change my mind on that after seeing whats happened in the last 11yrs and you should respect other fans feelings.

If you like them, you back them, thats up to you and I cant be against you for it, thats just your feelings.

But my point is, NO ONE IS KNOCKING THE CLUB WE LOVE / JUST THE PEOPLE RUNNING IT.

Answer the question, the academy last 11 yrs???

We want fight/pride and passion from our club, not a lot to ask for. :bluebird: :bluebird:

I can stomach bad results, have done for most of my life from Cardiff City :lol: :bluebird:

?

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby ReesWestonSuperMare » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:30 am

What idiot at the club decided to release this kid ?

What idiot at the club agreed the decision ?

Maybe the idiot concerned should come on here or on social media and tell the fans how and why they came to this decision. AND what is it that Palace can see that we couldnt ?

Utter shambles for us as per usual when it comes to youngsters. I have a friend whose is training with Swansea, the reason being (he says) is that at Cardiff they are light years behind the jacks in terms of facilities, scouting, coaching and just about everything else.

As a city fan of years - this pains me greatly
ReesWestonSuperMare

Postby Sven » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:35 am

skidemin wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

the point with Sion is unlike the normal moans when 6/7/8 are released and leave for non league clubs is that a premier league club have noticed him.. was a previous academy player of the year { thats the whole academy } and pretty much every coach he has had has marked him down a top prospect..and i think im right in saying only 19.... time will tell i suppose...

The OP alludes (somewhat confusingly) that Sion Spence went to a Scottish Premiership club based in London

He'd have been better signing for the English Premier League club of similar name just up the road ;)
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Return to General Chat