' Newport County REFUSE to take the knee '

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby ThomasC » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:18 pm

Newport County to investigate why teams did not take knee before Tranmere game

Millwall, Coventry , QPR players have also refused to take the knee.

Nathan Blake not happy about it.

Sunday 18th October 2020

Newport County chairman Gavin Foxall says he will investigate why the teams did not take a knee before their 1-0 League Two win over Tranmere Rovers.

Foxall said the gesture, in support of Black Lives Matter, was "something the referee instigates before a game".

English Football League (EFL) guidance states: "Clubs should try to mutually agree an approach before each match.

"Match officials are briefed to facilitate any variation of request(s)."

Players, officials and staff at Premier League and EFL games have regularly taken a knee pre-match in recent months in order to show their support for the Black Lives Matter movement for racial equality.

The EFL's guidance states that it is down to clubs and players to decide on whether to take a knee before a match - but that they should try to make that decision in advance, then agree it with the opposition and inform the match officials, so that everyone involved knows it is happening.

Speaking to BBC Radio Wales' Call Rob show after Saturday's match, Foxall said he would seek answers on why the teams did not take a knee.

Former Wales striker Nathan Blake, a regular guest on the show, challenged Foxall over the issue.

Newport County 1-0 Tranmere Rovers

Foxall said: "As I understand it, it's something that the referee instigates before a game. It's agreed with the two captains.

"I don't know why that wasn't the case today and as a club we'll take that away and have that discussion and see why that wasn't the case.

"But I would say though as a club yesterday [Friday], we supported the Wear Red Day campaign [to support Show Racism the Red Card] and as you will see from our shirts as well - we support the campaign of today or any day."

Blake then asked Foxall how, as chairman, he did not know why players had not taken the knee.

He said: "Let me just say this is Newport... it's probably one of the biggest black populations in Great Britain.

"You have fans here who are black, white, Asian. Don't you feel accountability and responsibility to those people?"

Foxall replied: "Racism doesn't have a place in society, let alone in football, and as a football club we're fully behind that.

"I don't know why that didn't happen today. As I say, there is a protocol for it, which is instigated by the referee with the two captains.

"Rest assured this club is fully behind the campaign and we want to live that out and we need to live that out."

Former Wales striker Nathan Blake has become a football pundit since his playing days ended. He challenged Newport chairman Gavin Foxall over events at Rodney Parade

QPR and Coventry City did not carry out the gesture in support of the Black Lives Matter movement before their Championship match in September.

Les Ferdinand, QPR's director of football, later argued the impact of taking a knee had "been diluted".

EFL guidance to clubs on taking a knee

It remains the choice of an individual player or players if they wish to take the knee

Having assessed the views of their players, clubs should try to mutually agree an approach before each match (preferably prior to match day)

In circumstances where clubs cannot reach an agreement, it is recommended that clubs seek to find a sensible compromise position to try to achieve a consistent approach to matches. For example, clubs may decide that the views of the home team's players should take precedence at each of the two matches between the clubs this season, thus delivering each set of players' preferred position at one game

Should there be no agreement, then individual players will be free to take the knee

Match officials are briefed to facilitate any variation of request(s) and clubs via their captains' should communicate the approach at the pre-match briefing
ThomasC

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Newport County REFUSE to take the knee

Postby stentona » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:45 pm

Good for them :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:
stentona

Postby Canton104 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:53 pm

Well done County. Least they have players with the balls to stand up against the BLM bulls**t.
Canton104

Postby papa » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:01 pm

good why should they? getting boring now this knee crap :sleepy2:
ENJOY YOURSELF (its later than you think)
papa

Re: ' Newport County REFUSE to take the knee '

Postby Ponty Bluebird » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:45 pm

Well done Newport, this should happen more often with other teams. There’s no need for it in my eyes
Ponty Bluebird

Postby Bigmarkw » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:46 pm

Wtf is there an investigation for?
Bigmarkw

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:47 pm

Yes well done County! Next time one of their fans sticks a collection tin in my face whilst entering Tesco's I'll happily put a pound in :D
Tony Blue Williams

Postby JJ1927 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:48 pm

What a sorry state we are in when the fact that at a team doesn't take the knee becomes a matter that warrants an investigation.

What next? Deduction of points for failure to support BLM?
JJ1927

Postby charlieduke » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:49 pm

Good. ALL lives matter.
charlieduke

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:53 pm

Bigmarkw wrote:Wtf is there an investigation for?

It's the standard answer these days when an accusation is made about something or other, transparency and that bollocks.

But from what the County Chairman said on call Rob the club will 'investigate' why there was no pre-game arrangements made to take the knee. Apparently those arrangements must then be passed onto the referee so he can facilitate the gesture.

Personally I think they should make arrangements to scrap the nonsense. Football is no place for showing support to a political organisation.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:55 pm

JJ1927 wrote:What a sorry state we are in when the fact that at a team doesn't take the knee becomes a matter that warrants an investigation.

What next? Deduction of points for failure to support BLM?

I wouldn't rule it out :banghead:
Tony Blue Williams

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:56 pm

Newport has one of the biggest black populations in Britain? Can’t be anywhere near right surely. Even by per 1000 people.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:16 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:Newport has one of the biggest black populations in Britain? Can’t be anywhere near right surely. Even by per 1000 people.

I live in Newport and there is a visible black population but to call it 'one of the biggest black populations in Britain' is well wide of the mark.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:42 pm

Blake practically accused county of being a racist club for not doing knee?
No big deal if dont take knee should be scrapped anyway..
pembroke allan

Postby Crayfish » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:42 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:Newport has one of the biggest black populations in Britain? Can’t be anywhere near right surely. Even by per 1000 people.

I live in Newport and there is a visible black population but to call it 'one of the biggest black populations in Britain' is well wide of the mark.

According to the last census only 1.7% of the population in Newport is black which is less than the national average which is about 3.5%. So to say Newport has a large black population is complete claptrap.
Crayfish

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:44 pm

Crayfish wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:

According to the last census only 1.7% of the population in Newport is black which is less than the national average which is about 3.5%. So to say Newport has a large black population is complete claptrap.

Thought as much :thumbup:
bluebirdoct1962

Postby blue for you » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:05 pm

Well done Newport.
Just because I'm paranoid it doesn't mean they're not talking about me
blue for you

Postby CCFCJosh75 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:14 pm

Another black lives matter thread! They come around quicker and quicker these days.
I'm still waiting for the word Marxist to be used and for nuclear blue to call someone a right wing communist but give it time.
CCFCJosh75

Postby JJ1927 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:33 pm

CCFCJosh75 wrote:Another black lives matter thread! They come around quicker and quicker these days.
I'm still waiting for the word Marxist to be used and for nuclear blue to call someone a right wing communist but give it time.

When BLM stop using football as a platform to pedal their views then the threads will stop. Until then its hardly surprising that people will comment on them.
JJ1927

Postby ealing_ayatollah » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:39 pm

CCFCJosh75 wrote:Another black lives matter thread! They come around quicker and quicker these days.

I'm still waiting for you to form an independent thought.

I reckon your wait will be shorter than mine.

Marxist.

(told you)
I'm just a wine drinking monkey that has a penchant for fine bannanas. You can check out my human alter-ego singing and speaking nonsense on the you tube if you like @ https://www.youtube.com/user/sibaronimusic
ealing_ayatollah

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:12 pm

Why can't those with a different view have their say?
Tony Blue Williams

Postby Welshman in CA » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:16 pm

But it's not is it? I thought it was about Newport not kneeling before their game but maybe I misread the headline.
Welshman in CA

Postby pembroke allan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:21 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:

But it's not is it? I thought it was about Newport not kneeling before their game but maybe I misread the headline.

No you didn't misread O.P it's just your every day left wing communist baiting the forum... :D
pembroke allan

Postby Nuclearblue » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:43 pm

Communist right wing communists.
Now that is the fact if you don’t know they are a Marxist group then you ain’t very bright not researching a group you support. f**k me you still floating around in the estuary ?
And so Nathan Blake is he a Marxist now ? And BLM don’t give a shit about Black lives. Them murdering David Dorn proves that.
Well done Newport players how can they be forced to take the knee ? Disgusting
Nuclearblue

Postby CCFCJosh75 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:53 pm

ealing_ayatollah wrote:

I'm still waiting for you to form an independent thought.

I reckon your wait will be shorter than mine.

Marxist.

(told you)

Well if that wasn't independent thought then it must be dependent which begs the question, dependent on whom? Who do you think told me to put that?

Or... How do you know that you are independently thinking?
CCFCJosh75

Postby CCFCJosh75 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:54 pm

Welshman in CA wrote:

Blm is in the article and in 4 or 5 replies before mine.
CCFCJosh75

Postby Don Keydick » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:31 pm

:thumbright:
Bigmarkw wrote:Wtf is there an investigation for?
Don Keydick

Postby Jock » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:31 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:

Communist right wing communists.
Now that is the fact if you don’t know they are a Marxist group then you ain’t very bright not researching a group you support. f**k me you still floating around in the estuary ?
And so Nathan Blake is he a Marxist now ? And BLM don’t give a shit about Black lives. Them murdering David Dorn proves that.
Well done Newport players how can they be forced to take the knee ? Disgusting

We’re in a bad place in this country when not taking a knee for a self identifying Marxist group is condemned.
Jock

Postby TheHangedMan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:31 pm

CCFCJosh75 wrote:
Welshman in CA wrote:

Blm is in the article and in 4 or 5 replies before mine.

Josh, it is quite obvious that you are one or two of the below:

1. A paid troll to debunk free thinking.....or;

2. A complete marxist (I said it for you), left wing snowflake who, if you actually believe some of the crap you spout, are someone I feel very sorry for.
Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious........
TheHangedMan

Postby cardiff 74 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:32 pm

Canton104 wrote:Well done County. Least they have players with the balls to stand up against the BLM bulls**t.

I agree good for them
cardiff 74

Next

Return to General Chat