Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff City Fans, Admit it, you were wrong Says

Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:02 pm

Cardiff City Fans, Admit it, you were wrong about Marlon Pack

Says Scott Johnson

Wednesday 28th October 2020

If you’re talking about Cardiff’s best players thus far this season, Marlon Pack has to be in the conversation. Yet most conversations about Marlon Pack tend to follow a very different theme. You’re more likely to hear someone questioning what he does exactly or arguing why he should be the odd one out of the four central midfielders vying for three spots.

How do you explain this disconnect? Well, we’ve been here before, haven’t we.

Maybe he’s merely this season’s Leandro Bacuna, who started last season on the collective naughty step and played his way back in to the affections of most. Not all, of course, because some are not for turning. Under any circumstances. Ever. On anything.

The best fit in terms of comparison though is surely Stephen McPhail. Talk to anyone about McPhail now and it’s all sunshine and lollipops, but there’s a healthy dose of revisionism involved. The narrative altered rather late in the day because for the longest time, his efforts also went unappreciated. People didn’t get it.

Talk to Michael Chopra and he’ll tell you that McPhail was the most gifted player he played with at Cardiff. He was a player’s player, and a manager’s player. Fans, especially Cardiff fans, tend to gravitate to the enthusiasm of someone like Callum Paterson on the audacity of Lee Tomlin. Making the hard stuff like easy doesn’t win many votes.

There’s nothing cool about Pack and he looks a bit like a werewolf, but Cardiff are usually better when the Pontcanna Pirlo is out there. He may not be as cultured as McPhail, but very few are. He’s a very good Championship midfielder though and also only cost about £750,000. So what’s not to like exactly?

I’ve been meaning to write something in Pack’s defence for a few weeks now, but Neil Harris beat me to it. In his press conference yesterday, he provided a ringing endorsement. So instead, here is what he said in full.

“Marlon’s strengths are with the football and he’s a very good passer of the ball. He might not have the assist rate that fans want to see and defence-cutting passes, but he can play them. I do talk to him about being a bit more aggressive with his passing range because it’s the best at this football club.”

“He’s important to make things tick over. Always willing to receive the ball, always willing to find a sensible pass and be brave enough to find the ball. If Marlon Pack makes a mistake, he goes and gets the ball again. That’s important in the modern game. He also has leadership qualities. He’s a talker and an organiser. When you’ve got young players on the pitch, that’s what you need.”

“He’s been instrumental away from home in our defensive solidity, his dead ball delivery is good and defensively he’s a very good marker. He’s had a very good start to the season and I’m really pleased with him. I left him out the other day just because he covers the most distance in the team. Fans might not see that because he’s not explosive or a sprinter, but he’s athletic like a distance runner and every game, Marlon’s stats are the highest. He’s a very good player.”

Surely it’s time to admit you were wrong about Marlon Pack?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Cardiff City Fans, Admit it, you were wrong Says

Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:14 pm

The fans have not been wrong he has been awful 90% of the games he has played here.

Constant backwards and sidewards passing might be sensible as we don't give away possession but it also means we go nowhere fast Nd normal end up with a centre back blasting it long , at least three big mistakes that have ended in goals conceded and slowing down our counter attacks.

He is playing better this season but he's not great by any means and nowhere near the quality of Mcphail.

Its not because city fans gravitate towards flair players that he was been called out its because he has been shit far too often in a cardiff shirt. Fans are warming because he is now changing that

Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:37 pm

No I am not wrong.

He'll be OK today because derby won't deploy a high press. Harris has done a decent job of understanding when to select him.

I will be wrong when i see assists, hopefully loads of humble pie tonight.

Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:56 pm

Piss poor today.

Not alone by any means but as this is a post about Marlon Pack let's just say that he was a big part of a performance that was lacklustre from the start.

Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:58 pm

davids wrote:Piss poor today.

Not alone by any means but as this is a post about Marlon Pack let's just say that he was a big part of a performance that was lacklustre from the start.

He was poor as were al 3 were. Packs style is pretty ineffective without a proper number 10 imo.

Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:02 pm

He has been a passenger since we signed him. One of Warnock’s worst signings. Does not and never will suit our style of play (if you can call it a style).

Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:26 pm

I get what he is, but to be fully effective, he needs a Whitts or McPhail next to him to lay off the ball whatever position they are in and a pre injury Bamba and Manga behind him, we don't have any of that.

Vaulks,Bacuna and Ralls are so different in terms of first thoughts, one touch and a forward direct pass.
Morrison and Nelson are stoppers with heart stopping first touch and over or under hit passes

He has no kindred spirits around him and he doesn't have a long ball of Whitts so the wingers are not in his range.

He is just in the wrong team. If Harris is so intent on playing through him he needed to sell Vaulks,Ralls and Bacuna. Maybe the Leicester guy will help him.

He is not a bad player just in the wrong team

Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:01 am

Not fit to lace McPhails boots.
Pedestrianly too slow and too much sideways and backwards. Derby were/are poor and Pack had no answer. He is often a third centre half when we are in possession leaving us short in midfield where he is supposed to be. If his passing ability warranted it I wouldn't mind but it's really not.

Multiple times in every game when he passes sideways or backwards he runs and literally follows his pass thinking the player to receive the ball is going forward and he "fills a gap" that isn't there.

He is absolutely no where near being a top 6 championship central midfielder, no where near.

Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:22 am

BlueBonez wrote:He has been a passenger since we signed him. One of Warnock’s worst signings. Does not and never will suit our style of play (if you can call it a style).

and there lies the problem... the style is betwixt and between.. and if honest a lot of them dont look as if it suits them.. including Kiefer Moore who he bust a gut to sign only to have another 45 minutes { 1st half } where the boy might as well have stayed at home while we played how many times the ball could cross the half way line without it going near the goals...
it really is down to Harris to re evaluate what we have and come up with a game plan that works and plays to our strengths... and not fit the players into a game plan they struggle with