Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Taxi for Harris please

Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:26 am

I never understood what the board saw in him or his short record that said he was a championship top 6 manager in the first place. My reticence is that I thought he was a product of the modern manager coaching system that turns out hundreds of qualified coaches every season.
Being a manager or head coach isn’t necessarily a coaching job it’s a leadership role, no different to being the General Manager or MD of an Manufacturing or Engineering company. In these companies being the best Engineer or Technician doesn’t make you the boss, the best leaders make those position through previous measurable leadership roles.
He got gifted the Millwall job through his connection with that club and he achieved what Millwall are, a yoyo team between L1 and the Championship, then got removed when they were close to the trap door.

I wouldn’t care if we play 442 long ball 1990’s football as long as we are good at it. What I can’t abide is playing the 2012/14 Uefa coaching manual system like a good little boys playing “the right way”. We are playing suckerball. I used to laugh at team like us under Warnock, sit in your formation and wait for them to make a mistake.
If the club genuinely want to play like this then go and get a manger who has played that style and system since he was 10, but you’ll need to go overseas.

I think Harris is worse than Slade because Slade was the reset we needed after the mess Ole left. Harris’s job is top 6 and promotion.

For the squad of players we have its all too slow, we play better from behind as there is some urgency. We don’t have the skillsets or guile in our players or coaching to move teams around like genuine passing teams, but it’s the championship so not many of the players are complete all rounders or they’d be in the premier league.
Brentford and Barnsley were pretty we just powered through them under Warnock, so what, we were promoted, mission accomplished by a manager who has success playing the game his way. Does Harris have his way ?

Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:59 am

maccydee wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
The Cobra wrote:Out of his depth, bottom 6 more likely than top 6 with this guy in charge im afraid!

How can you say that? We have key players missing and Harris hasn't been backed by Tan at all this season. Only one right back in the squad who is injured. Bacuna shifted to right back again where he isn't as comfortable, weakening our centre midfield. Yeah, it's all Harris' fault :roll:

Are key players missing or did Harris chose not to play them ?

Hasn't been backed by Tan ?

We are in the middle of a pandemic with no idea when fans will be let into the ground and we were still the 4th highest spenders in the league.

2.5mill on a Welsh international striker

500k on a very promising young goalkeeper

Loaned probably the best playmaker in the division on big wages from Liverpool

Loaned a Croatian international centre back from Leicester who will also be on big wages

Plus two other Premier league players on loan

None of that is cheap and Harris has been backed fully this window with some high quality players

I'm afraid yourself and many others have been blinded by the Moore and Wilson signings. Our transfer activity this season has been:

Osei-Tutu is in for Peltier on far less wages.
Benkovic is in for Flint.
Wilson is in for Paterson on slightly less wages.
Ojo is in for Mendez-Laing.
Dillon Phillips is in for Etheridge on far less wages.

The only occasion Harris has been backed is to bring Moore in, which was around 1.5 million, not 2.5 million. But look at all the wages Harris has saved trimming the squad to help fund the Moore signing - Ward, Bogle, Connolly and Jazz have all left, freeing up I estimate, close to 100k a week.

All the players Harris has brought in has come from him wheeling and dealing and trimming the squad. You can't blame Harris when he hasn't really been backed at all by Tan this season. We really need to be realistic with our expectations.

We only have one right back in our squad and we are currently suffering with Bacuna having to cover that position. A manager properly backed would not be left with only one right back, the reduced depth and being forced to throw a youngster in at the deep end against a team who were in the Premiership last season.

I think a top 6 finish would be a fantastic achievement this season, but if we don't make top 6, Dalman better not say Harris has failed. It's a ridiculous statement from Dalman saying he expects a top 6 finish. Dalman knows full well Harris hasn't really been backed.

So we have improved the squad on less wages.

I wish Tan wouldn’t back Harris some more.

Ross aka Tonteg Bluebird has painted the right picture with facts.

Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:28 am

llan bluebird wrote:I never understood what the board saw in him or his short record that said he was a championship top 6 manager in the first place. My reticence is that I thought he was a product of the modern manager coaching system that turns out hundreds of qualified coaches every season.
Being a manager or head coach isn’t necessarily a coaching job it’s a leadership role, no different to being the General Manager or MD of an Manufacturing or Engineering company. In these companies being the best Engineer or Technician doesn’t make you the boss, the best leaders make those position through previous measurable leadership roles.
He got gifted the Millwall job through his connection with that club and he achieved what Millwall are, a yoyo team between L1 and the Championship, then got removed when they were close to the trap door.

I wouldn’t care if we play 442 long ball 1990’s football as long as we are good at it. What I can’t abide is playing the 2012/14 Uefa coaching manual system like a good little boys playing “the right way”. We are playing suckerball. I used to laugh at team like us under Warnock, sit in your formation and wait for them to make a mistake.
If the club genuinely want to play like this then go and get a manger who has played that style and system since he was 10, but you’ll need to go overseas.

I think Harris is worse than Slade because Slade was the reset we needed after the mess Ole left. Harris’s job is top 6 and promotion.

For the squad of players we have its all too slow, we play better from behind as there is some urgency. We don’t have the skillsets or guile in our players or coaching to move teams around like genuine passing teams, but it’s the championship so not many of the players are complete all rounders or they’d be in the premier league.
Brentford and Barnsley were pretty we just powered through them under Warnock, so what, we were promoted, mission accomplished by a manager who has success playing the game his way. Does Harris have his way ?

I think the board saw minimum outlay and a decent Manager..the Manger you speak of comes at a cost, just like the best MD's. With our pedestrian midfield, he s probably trying to limit the damage every week.

That midfield is upsetting the whole team because they cant distribute well enough. Players then have to work hard to get it back, and so the cycle goes. We make it hard for ourselves. If I was Wilson I'd be thinking I'd made a bad choice coming here. At least by the end he will be an expert in frustration management, and have well honed neck muscles.

Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:49 am

llan bluebird wrote:I never understood what the board saw in him or his short record that said he was a championship top 6 manager in the first place. My reticence is that I thought he was a product of the modern manager coaching system that turns out hundreds of qualified coaches every season.

And we had the best manager for playing long ball tactics and tried powering our way through teams and it failed, miserably. If we are going to start playing the 'right way' and get good at it, at some point we are going to have to, you know, start playing it. It was never going to be a quick transition with the squad we had.

Slade was an absolute terrible manager. Cheap option Brought in to the balance the books, failed to reach top 6 with a strong squad.
Harris anther cheap option brought in and has had to balance the books, finished 5th despite the handicap warnock left us in. He has already shown he is better manager than slade.

Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:07 am

I think the board opted for Harris because of the make up of the squad - a bit like Warnock Mk2 but with hopefully a little more variation. It's actually turning out that Warnock's Championship sides were considerably more attractive to watch, but he did have better players, Manga, Bryson,Grujik, Gunnarson, all who were comfortable on the ball. Ralls was the exception, but he was twice the player he is now because of those around him. What puzzles me is why he brought in Wilson ? I doubt we'll get the best out of him with virtually no quick, running players in midfield. We'll pick up points, but I'll repeat what I've said before - we'll have to go a long way back before we can start going forward gain.

Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:16 am

I notice a lot of players getting frustrated with each other last night - haven't seen that for a while

Harris needs to sort this out ASAP or he will be gone

Its a results business

Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:41 am

the ..right way... for any team is playing to its strengths... thats not whats going on out there.. there was a phase where pass 12 was back to Smithies having barely breaching the half way line during the movement....a free kick that went square and slightly backwards 5 yards in their half , 9 passes later when the ball eventually crossed the halfway line again it went into touch very close to where we took the free kick... then the Ralls pass for their goal, awful ,tries to make up for it, ends up giving away a free kick and they score.... its pretending to play a passing game but not good enough to do it... im moaning but why some fans are beats me as this is exactly what they were desperate for....

Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:14 am

A Quiet Monkfish wrote:

I think the board opted for Harris because of the make up of the squad - a bit like Warnock Mk2 but with hopefully a little more variation. It's actually turning out that Warnock's Championship sides were considerably more attractive to watch, but he did have better players, Manga, Bryson,Grujik, Gunnarson, all who were comfortable on the ball. Ralls was the exception, but he was twice the player he is now because of those around him. What puzzles me is why he brought in Wilson ? I doubt we'll get the best out of him with virtually no quick, running players in midfield. We'll pick up points, but I'll repeat what I've said before - we'll have to go a long way back before we can start going forward gain.

Did you watch the football under warnock last season though? Attractive would be the last word I'd used to describe it. Goal kicks hit as long as possible, free kicks hit as far as possible towards the box, throw-ins in our half morrison throwing it as far as possible , throws in their half long into the box. It was awful to watch and nothing like our promotion season.

I can see what Harris is trying to do, which is what a lot of fans wanted, but he needs base his game on what team is available. He needs to realise when he can play a more passing based game and when he needs to be direct. With no tomlin or wilson, we should have played more direct last night , like we did in the 2nd leg vs Fulham. Vaulks, pack and ralls are disruptive players but they are not creative and they don't make the attacking runs a passing team needs.
Tomlin unlocks teams and links up well with wingers, something that didn't happen last night. Wilson does the same but also had the legs to get about the pitch.

Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:06 pm

montyblue wrote:Millwall 4th since harris left

With Zohore up front, and scoring last night.

Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:39 pm

We might have the best GK in the league, one of the best defensive setups in the league. Decent midfield, good wingers. 2 creative players in Tomlin and Wilson.

Solid international striker with ok backup

Our football is utter shit, so whos to blame for that?

Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:39 pm

skidemin wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:I never understood what the board saw in him or his short record that said he was a

the ..right way... for any team is playing to its strengths... thats not whats going on out there.. there was a phase where pass 12 was back to Smithies having barely breaching the half way line during the movement....a free kick that went square and slightly backwards 5 yards in their half , 9 passes later when the ball eventually crossed the halfway line again it went into touch very close to where we took the free kick... then the Ralls pass for their goal, awful ,tries to make up for it, ends up giving away a free kick and they score.... its pretending to play a passing game but not good enough to do it... im moaning but why some fans are beats me as this is exactly what they were desperate for....

Exactly. To borrow a rugby expression to do this properly you need to be playing on the gain line, but that offers up too much risk with the lack of technique for nearly all our players, so we dolly around 10M too far back allowing the opposition to regroup back into formations they have worked continuously on in training. This also pushes our defensive line far too back in case they get the ball with an opposition player around us.

If i was scouting us I wouldn't commit to any high press because we do have the long ball with Keiffer so need to surround him. I would simply send one player to chase the ball, watch us panic and make a mistake or pass it back to Smithies to whack it forward to big Keiffer where you have set up your defensive formation.

Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:18 pm

valleymodeller wrote:
montyblue wrote:Millwall 4th since harris left

With Zohore up front, and scoring last night.

Yep that zohore, that went off injured(again!) Biggest profit on a player in my time,great business for mr bentley.

Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:35 pm

Bellamy for me please

Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:04 pm

warnocksbarmyarmy wrote:I’ve been a big Harris supporter as he did a great job last year. However tonight was terrible. The biggest criticism I can give him is that I lost complete interest in the game. When we scored I cheered but it didn’t feel the same as usual as I know we are just gonna get beat on Saturday or the game after. For the first time in a while for me I’m not sure we have the right man in charge

I reckon if we are not in the top six by Christmas I reckon they will part company with Neil Harris I think the club have already got someone lined up

Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:25 pm

The board probably thought Harris was a good manager because he was a good manager for Millwall in his first two seasons in charge he twice got Millwall to the playoff final in league one winning the second one. Next season he had Milwall finishing just outside the playoffs on a minimal budget. He also had us finishing fifth last season. That is a good record. Personally I think he will turn things round here when he gets Wilson and Tomlin back. There is no guarentee we will get anyone better and every chance we will get someone worse.

Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:06 pm

How can you say that ?
He done so well last season with the awful squad left by. NW.
Can’t just keep changing managers just because we don’t get the results..
We need to stick with Harris , let’s not be one of those clubs where the fans turn at drop of a hat.. oh forgot, yes we are...
Great fans when we winning .. however ...

Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:44 pm

Bonner wrote:How can you say that ?
We need to stick with Harris , let’s not be one of those clubs where the fans turn at drop of a hat.. oh forgot, yes we are...

It was not a awful squad though was it ?
It was a squad that got 4th place even with the managerial changes and a poor start

Warnock left a expensively assembled squad full of talent but no direction

The best keeper in the league with Etheridge as back up

Three very good centre backs over a long period of time in Morrison, Flint and Bamba plus Nelson

Probably the two best left backs in the league

Some very good midfielders at this level in Pack , Vaulks and Ralls

A £5million pound striker still waiting to settle properly

One of the most talented playmakers in the league in Tomlin when fit

Utility men Workhorses like Patterson and and Bacuna

£11million pound winger in Murphy

The list goes on and on, the squad is fine especially with Harris additions its the management , tactics and direction thats the issue

Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:47 pm

BONNER

You think that that was accepatable last night or
just a one off
Come on our attacking game has gone right down hill and we are struggling once over the halfway line.

Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:56 pm

Escott1927 wrote:

And we had the best manager for playing long ball tactics and tried powering our way through teams and it failed, miserably. If we are going to start playing the 'right way' and get good at it, at some point we are going to have to, you know, start playing it. It was never going to be a quick transition with the squad we had.

Slade was an absolute terrible manager. Cheap option Brought in to the balance the books, failed to reach top 6 with a strong squad.
Harris anther cheap option brought in and has had to balance the books, finished 5th despite the handicap warnock left us in. He has already shown he is better manager than slade.

TOP POST

Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:05 pm

Can.be like forest 14 managers in 11 yrs or Watford 2 managers a season for past god knows how many years... if want change style of play it is going to take couple of seasons with any manager we have to play same style until got the players doing it correctly.

Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:15 pm

montyblue wrote:BONNER

You think that that was accepatable last night or
just a one off
Come on our attacking game has gone right down hill and we are struggling once over the halfway line.

Second half.. yes

Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:21 pm

thomasblue wrote:

It was not a awful squad though was it ?
It was a squad that got 4th place even with the managerial changes and a poor start

Warnock left a expensively assembled squad full of talent but no direction

The best keeper in the league with Etheridge as back up

Three very good centre backs over a long period of time in Morrison, Flint and Bamba plus Nelson

Probably the two best left backs in the league

Some very good midfielders at this level in Pack , Vaulks and Ralls

A £5million pound striker still waiting to settle properly

One of the most talented playmakers in the league in Tomlin when fit

Utility men Workhorses like Patterson and and Bacuna

£11million pound winger in Murphy

The list goes on and on, the squad is fine especially with Harris additions its the management , tactics and direction thats the issue

The squad is better this season .. yes..
As for last season .. money wasted..
Only 2 good centre halves.. Morrison and Nelson, Bennett was poor, Cunningham had been sent out on loan..smithies was brought into the team by Harris, as was Tomlin..
Give the bloke a chance, needs to be given all this season .