Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

O/T Dynamo Moscows 1945 Tour

Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:47 am

A long read from the BBC but interesting if you've got 10 minutes.

It includes our game against them where we had a bit of a hammering!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54839305

Re: O/T Dynamo Moscows 1945 Tour

Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:35 pm

Didnt we get revenge on one of our European jaunts? Know we did with Moscow torpedo?

Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:50 am

Saw them when Rangers played a friendly against them in 1970, there was a boatload of Russian Sailors in the stand that night and they all claimed asylum in the UK :lol:

Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:10 am

pembroke allan wrote:Didnt we get revenge on one of our European jaunts? Know we did with Moscow torpedo?

A bit before my time so unsure on that!

This is a write up for the games against Moscow Torpedo ;

https://beyondthelastman.com/2013/08/14 ... do-moscow/

Anyone know what it means when it says "Cardiff were forced to field a weakened team to comply with UEFA rules"? What sort of rule is that?

Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:03 pm

Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Didnt we get revenge on one of our European jaunts? Know we did with Moscow torpedo?

Anyone know what it means when it says "Cardiff were forced to field a weakened team to comply with UEFA rules"? What sort of rule is that?

its to do with the amount of foreign players allowed at the time in european competitions.... its changed many times.... from the article it seems players from Scotland were deemed foreign....

Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:44 pm

skidemin wrote:
Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:

its to do with the amount of foreign players allowed at the time in european competitions.... its changed many times.... from the article it seems players from Scotland were deemed foreign....

I went to the game and certainly don,t recall us having to field a weakened side because of that rule. Bob Wilson played instead of Fred Davies because he hadn't signed in time. I hadnt realised Don Murray didnt play but he played most of the other games and he is Scottish. I think the foreign players rule didnt come in until at least the late eighties- Liverpool would have won sweet FA if it was in earlier!-and had to be scrapped soon after due to EU rules

My grandfather had tentatively planned to take me to the away game in Moscow- think he always wanted to visit the city- but due to the weather it was switched very early after the draw was made. The away game was the furthest a side had ever played a tie in European football. It was in Asia and only 600 miles from the Chinese border and was chosen by the Russian FA to make it difficult for us. I believe our away support was 3!!

Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:36 pm

JJ1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:

I went to the game and certainly don,t recall us having to field a weakened side because of that rule. Bob Wilson played instead of Fred Davies because he hadn't signed in time. I hadnt realised Don Murray didnt play but he played most of the other games and he is Scottish. I think the foreign players rule didnt come in until at least the late eighties- Liverpool would have won sweet FA if it was in earlier!-and had to be scrapped soon after due to EU rules

My grandfather had tentatively planned to take me to the away game in Moscow- think he always wanted to visit the city- but due to the weather it was switched very early after the draw was made. The away game was the furthest a side had ever played a tie in European football. It was in Asia and only 600 miles from the Chinese border and was chosen by the Russian FA to make it difficult for us. I believe our away support was 3!!

your probably correct mate..but am at a complete loss to come up with any other reason

Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:56 am

JJ1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:

Don’t know if it had changed by the time this game was played but in the 60s you had to be a member of the British Communist Party to get a visa to visit The USSR.

Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:46 am

Jock wrote:
JJ1927 wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:

Don’t know if it had changed by the time this game was played but in the 60s you had to be a member of the British Communist Party to get a visa to visit The USSR.

:sleepy2:

The game switched to tashkent and it was the furthest a uk team had travelled to game.... one of city's directors helped to sort travel arrangements as he was from the area :old: