Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

O/T Premium Bonds

Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:32 pm

Thinking of investing in some.Has anybody bought some,cashed them back in or even won anything?
Any info appreciated.

Re: O/T Premium Bonds

Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:07 am

theclaw wrote:Thinking of investing in some.Has anybody bought some,cashed them back in or even won anything?
Any info appreciated.

They've recently changed way you win on them so now its harder to win a prize ! They used to be good investment if sufficient bought but now if got the money to sit around for years maybe worth it considering the other alternatives ...

Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:31 am

pembroke allan wrote:
theclaw wrote:Thinking of investing in some.Has anybody bought some,cashed them back in or even won anything?
Any info appreciated.

They've recently changed way you win on them so now its harder to win a prize ! They used to be good investment if sufficient bought but now if got the money to sit around for years maybe worth it considering the other alternatives ...

Cheers
Basically I got a lump of money I don’t need for about a year so I thought I’d go for the bonds.

Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:52 am

I bought a considerable amount about 4 months ago and so far have won precisely £0.00

However, a friend of mine has a similar amount and tends to win virtually every month. Not big amounts usually £25-£50 but he did win £250 last month. So it’s the luck of the draw I guess

The chances of you winning one of the big prices are minuscule but it’s as bit of fun trying

With interest rates very, very low you might as well invest in premium bonds as put it in a savings account

Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:34 am

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:I bought a considerable amount about 4 months ago and so far have won precisely £0.00

However, a friend of mine has a similar amount and tends to win virtually every month. Not big amounts usually £25-£50 but he did win £250 last month. So it’s the luck of the draw I guess

The chances of you winning one of the big prices are minuscule but it’s as bit of fun trying

With interest rates very, very low you might as well invest in premium bonds as put it in a savings account

Yes if got a year to spare I would put it in you'll certainly get a higher return than savings account even if they've reduced the chances of winning. :thumbup:

Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:00 am

I put £7000 in a few years back and won £500 first month. So that persuaded me to lump more and more in.

I have £20000 in there now and win £25 at least every other month.

I find it better than the interest I would get.

Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:10 am

maccydee wrote:I put £7000 in a few years back and won £500 first month. So that persuaded me to lump more and more in.

That works out at around £150pa. It would be hard to find an interest rate which paid that much and of cause there is the possibility of a £1m win!

Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:37 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
maccydee wrote:I put £7000 in a few years back and won £500 first month. So that persuaded me to lump more and more in.

That works out at around £150pa. It would be hard to find an interest rate which paid that much and of cause there is the possibility of a £1m win!

I have had a look and won £175 since May.

I highly recommend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:08 pm

They work because people like to think they are lucky, or get very excited when they get a win, even though £25 is feck all if you have £20K invested.

The rate is dropping from 1.4% interest (on the whole pot) to 1% in December, so it's not much really, but better than most savings accounts, so Ok for people short term.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savin ... ium-bonds/

So the whole pot will pay 1%, as there as some big winners the majority of people will get less than 1% a year interest (wins), of course, a lucky few will get more.

Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:00 pm

Bluebina wrote:They work because people like to think they are lucky, or get very excited when they get a win, even though £25 is feck all if you have £20K invested.

The rate is dropping from 1.4% interest (on the whole pot) to 1% in December, so it's not much really, but better than most savings accounts, so Ok for people short term.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savin ... ium-bonds/

So the whole pot will pay 1%, as there as some big winners the majority of people will get less than 1% a year interest (wins), of course, a lucky few will get more.

Agree £25 isn’t that much but £150 since May is decent.

1% on 20k is £200 a year. Not many savings accounts out there at that price sadly.

Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:13 pm

The other advantage is that any prize money is interest free. The government slashed the interest rates on the Income Savings Bonds so last month I decided to transfer to Premium Bonds and give them a go for 6 months. Like everyone else has commented there are no worthwhile savings accounts currently.

Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:55 pm

Was 1 in 24000 chance but now 1 in 34000 chance of winning

Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:35 pm

Any info appreciated.

I've had some for about 2 years now ,get the odd 25 pound win ,the more you put in the more chance you get ,I did have 50k in there a while ago ,easy to cash out it takes 3 days to go into your account probably better than leaving it in the bank

Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:41 pm

wez1927 wrote:
Any info appreciated.

I've had some for about 2 years now ,get the odd 25 pound win ,the more you put in the more chance you get ,I did have 50k in there a while ago ,easy to cash out it takes 3 days to go into your account probably better than leaving it in the bank

I 2nd that :thumbright: :thumbright:

Also works out better than any interest :thumbright: :thumbright:

Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:09 pm

I have about £500 in bonds and have not won anything for at least 20 years.

Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:49 pm

If you have money to invest then get a some independent financial advice. You may have to pay for it but it will reap rewards.

I had quite a lot in premium bonds and yes I did have the odd win but it only equated around 1.5-2.0%.

Pay for some proper advice, I invested in the company’s low risk ISAs and I’m averaging triple what I was getting even after taking fees into account.

Of course, they can go up and down and you are limited to £20k per year per person (only a worry for lucky people !!) but it’s a much better bet