Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

McCLAREN APPOINTED AS DERBY ADVISOR Steve McClaren has agre

Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:43 pm

McCLAREN APPOINTED AS DERBY ADVISOR

Steve McClaren has agreed a contract to act as an advisor to the board at Derby.

A club statement read: "In this capacity he will assume the role and duties of both advisor and technical director, a position which has been identified by agreement between Mel Morris and Derventio Holdings as important to the future of the club. The permanent status of the technical director role will be subject to ratification by Derventio Holdings’ board following completion of the club acquisition.

"Commenting on the announcement, Stephen Pearce, Chief Executive Officer said: 'We are delighted to have Steve’s help and support at this critical time. His knowledge, experience, and academic qualifications will be invaluable to us. I am sure he will make a huge contribution.'"

Re: McCLAREN APPOINTED AS DERBY ADVISOR Steve McClaren has

Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:44 pm

ROONEY 'EXPECTS' TO BE NEXT DERBY MANAGER

Sky Sports pundit Keith Andrews believes Wayne Rooney expects to be the next permanent manager of Derby, but has warned of the difficulties of combining the duties of playing and coaching.

Derby captain Rooney is currently collaborating in a foursome with coaches Liam Rosenior, Shay Given and Justin Walker to lead training and decide team selection following Philip Cocu's dismissal - but the club are currently bottom of the Championship table.

Rooney has previously expressed his desire to take the Derby job full-time but Sky Sports News does not expect a decision will be made until the takeover by Abu Dhabi royal family member Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan is completed.

"I have no doubt Wayne Rooney expected to be the manager after Phillip Cocu's reign ended. In terms of how it works out now, I'm not sure," Andrews told the Sky Sports EFL Podcast. "It's very difficult to be a player-manager now. I was a player-coach and I couldn't do it. There is so much that goes on away from the pitch, and when you've finished training and with the time it takes it's actually impossible to do. He needs to make a decision about going one way or the other.

"With the takeover lingering in the background as well it remains to be seen what type of manager they want. I don't think it will be Wayne Rooney, I think they'll go a different route."

Re: McCLAREN APPOINTED AS DERBY ADVISOR Steve McClaren has

Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:46 pm

Interim Derby boss Wayne Rooney has insisted he wants the job on a full-time basis.

“I wouldn’t be sat here if I didn’t think I was ready to take it on," said Rooney ahead of his side's clash at Middlesbrough on Wednesday.

"There’s a lot more to the role than preparing the team. I have to do a lot of things behind the scenes and I am comfortable and fine doing that.”