Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Welsh football legends not being put to use.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:44 am

Ian Rush, Neville Southall, Barry Horne, Kevin Ratcliffe, Gary Speed, John Hartson, Ryan Giggs, Robbie Savage, Mark Bowen, Mark Hughes, Nathan Blake to name but a few, none of these Welsh legends are involved with the current welsh setup. Just look at that list, legends not only in Wales but some of them all over the world. Just look at the wealth of experiance that can be extracted from these greats, and not only that look at some of the managers and coaches these guys have worked with. How the hell did we lose to Montenegro with the quality players that we currently have in the wales squad. For me the FAW have to look at this list of greats and pursuade a few of them to coach, consult or advice as much as they possibly can. We should not be a third world football nation, we should be on par with the likes of switzerland, Sweden, Denmark and Ireland or better. We have an abundance of youth coming through the exdellent Brian Flynn production line so there is no real excuse. The FAW have to get this right and maybe forget about the next major tournament and concentrate on the next world cup. Also i think local authorities along with the FAW need to give free coaching to kids all over Wales, i coach at Cwmbran Celtic FC and for my u16`s squad to train on Cwmbran Stadium astroturf during the winter months under floodlights it would cost us over £40 for an hour. The FAW and welsh assembly need to look at this and address this asap, and not just football all sports. Why should our future welsh internationals have to pay at grass routes level.