Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Does Jacks doing so well make you more want a change?

Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:30 pm

It does for me. The board, managers, players must look West and be puzzled/angry why we are below average. We are a bigger club , pay higher wages and yet we are drifting to another crap season.

Re: Does Jacks doing so well make you more want a change?

Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:33 pm

Grandstand wrote:It does for me. The board, managers, players must look West and be puzzled/angry why we are below average. We are a bigger club , pay higher wages and yet we are drifting to another crap season.

Yes but don’t worry as it won’t last long down there :happy1:

Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:45 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Grandstand wrote:It does for me. The board, managers, players must look West and be puzzled/angry why we are below average. We are a bigger club , pay higher wages and yet we are drifting to another crap season.

How do you come to that assumption?.

Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:07 pm

Neither of those things are true though.

Swansea are obviously a bigger club and pay bigger wages. The only place where people will think Cardiff is a bigger club... is in Cardiff.

Ayew is on a reported 80k a week.

Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:51 pm

Doctor wrote:

Neither of those things are true though.

Swansea are obviously a bigger club and pay bigger wages. The only place where people will think Cardiff is a bigger club... is in Cardiff.

Ayew is on a reported 80k a week.

What nonsense.
Ayew is only there because no other club has come in for him so thy have to pay him a premier league salary as per his contract.
The other players are on peanuts.
Swansea are in no way bigger than Cardiff

Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:54 pm

Season ends in May, they're doing really well, but there's a transfer window open now and the job Steve Cooper's doing won't have unnoticed by underachieving premier league clubs

Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:57 pm

No, their position has no bearing on our feat and whilst healthy rivalry can be good, making it the be all and end all can be counter productive. A bit like how the Welsh rugby fan base has been obsessed with beating England for many years and not overly bothered if they lose all the other games. “As long as we beat the English” mentality.

Having said that, I would happily buy into a 3-year plan where the board were realistic and honest about each seasons objectives, ideally lowering the average age of the squad, which currently lacks pace. For the first time (after the Wycombe defeat), my own feelings are that this should be with a new manager at the helm.

Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:16 pm

Port Talbot 10,48 wrote:
What nonsense.
Ayew is only there because no other club has come in for him so thy have to pay him a premier league salary as per his contract.

Don't be so daft.

Football is a global game now, not a local one. There is far more worldwide interest in Swansea football club than Cardiff football club.

Swansea have 1 million Twitter followers globally, Cardiff barely have 350k.

Swansea have 1.3m Facebook followers globally, Cardiff have 500k.

https://talksport.com/football/320299/t ... 207264732/

Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:09 pm

skiprat wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

It’s my opinion.

Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:54 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
skiprat wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

It’s my opinion.

It’s my opinion that the success won’t last long down west.

Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:50 am

Doctor wrote:
Port Talbot 10,48 wrote:
What nonsense.

Don't be so daft.

Football is a global game now, not a local one. There is far more worldwide interest in Swansea football club than Cardiff football club.

This is utter nonsense! Jacks are a small town club, always have been, always will be, it’s like comparing Wigan or Burnley with Manchester United! Swansea have had their time in the sun and globally may have had more exposure than us of late but we will always be bigger than them, look at attendance’s, trophy count etc

https://talksport.com/football/320299/t ... 207264732/

Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:30 am

londontaffia wrote:
Doctor wrote:
Port Talbot 10,48 wrote:
What nonsense.

Don't be so daft.

This is utter nonsense! Jacks are a small town club, always have been, always will be, it’s like comparing Wigan or Burnley with Manchester United! Swansea have had their time in the sun and globally may have had more exposure than us of late but we will always be bigger than them, look at attendance’s, trophy count etc

https://talksport.com/football/320299/t ... 207264732//

You would have to be 100+ years old to have even the vaguest of memory of Cardiff winning a major trophy.

In terms of attendance there is barely anything between the two clubs. 2k or 3k maybe? It’s nothing.

In the last 20 years, our average has been 14,169 and yours has been 17,503, that’s largely due to us selling out at a capped 20,000 for 25% of that time.

If you go back 40 years our average has been 10,255 and yours has been 11,378.

Nothing in it. Barely a 1000.

Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:20 am

No! :roll:

The 'Jacks' will take care of themselves (quite nicely at the moment) and we need to look after ourselves

This weird obsession with that one team is one of the reasons the 'busted flush' and his inbred off-spring get a rise so easily on here...

Twice a season is all we need to concern ourselves with and to do otherwise is to 'big' them up more than they deserve

Historically they were nothing to us and never forget it took a 'Bluebird' to wake them up! ;) :bluebird:

Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:42 am

Sven wrote:

No! :roll:

The 'Jacks' will take care of themselves (quite nice at the moment) and we need to look after ourselves

This weird obsession with that one team is one of the reasons the 'busted flush' and his inbred off-spring get a rise so easily on here...

Twice a season is all we need to concern ourselves with and to do otherwise is to 'big' them up more than they deserve

Historically they were nothing to us and never forget it took a 'Bluebird' to wake them up! ;) :bluebird:

The only backlash or ‘rise’ as you call it happens because what I say is absolutely true and people hate it because they have created this myth that only seems to exist in Cardiff. I have said it for years that the delusional bubble created on here where if anyone represents reality; then they are quickly shouted down and ostracised, they are a threat to the pretence and the safety net created by your fans. Your actions on the various match day threads for example is evidence of this.

This groupthink delusion is why the club is where it is and why things don’t change for the better. You have created this bizarre sleeping giant label for yourselves that doesn’t exist outside your walls and you are content with that. There is no ambition to actually walk the walk, talking the talk provides an easier and convenient avenue.

Screaming capital and attendances at every opportunity when in fact there is barely anything in the attendances between the clubs and playing in a capital does absolutely nothing, ask Barnet. These talking points have been created to deflect from the reality that the club is a non achieving small to middling side. That’s the reality of the situation.

Pretending otherwise is creating unrealistic expectations and having a negative impact on your side. In other words your fans seem to want the club to ‘cash cheques it is not entitled to or haven’t earned’.

Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:26 am

Roathie? :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2:

Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:44 am

I like jacks , I could never change a tyre without one !!!!

Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:23 am

Let’s be totally honest here we will always be small fish in a big pond in the premier league , and any talent will be taken away by the bigger boys, we will never be an attraction to a premier pro player against a more established team transfer wise, either though money talks.
I believe Any success will continue to be short lived until either club can build A successful youth policy to have some sort longevity in the Prem,
So we’re all in it for the long ride, I just wish before I pop my clogs we begin to play football again, like under DJ

Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:50 am

I suppose the really big question is will either club be backed if promotion is achieved, and I would be concerned if I was a swans fan, if ayew goes they are relying on Lowe, the Brighton guy is crap, will the Chelsea defender be loaned again , will cabango or roberts be sold,
Doctor do you trust the yanks to provide to compete ?

Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:31 am

boglin wrote:I suppose the really big question is will either club be backed if promotion is achieved, and I would be concerned if I was a swans fan, if ayew goes they are relying on Lowe, the Brighton guy is crap, will the Chelsea defender be loaned again , will cabango or roberts be sold,

Provide? Of course not. We don’t have a business model that requires heavy investment, we don’t want it. Neither should you lot. Although I have been beating that drum for a while. A club should be self sufficient and not reliant on handouts.

As for the players, all players come and go. We have been hearing about “what happens when Trundle goes, Britton, Rangel, Scotland, Sinclair, Borini goes back, Williams, Allen, Bony, Michu, De Guzman, Gylfi etc etc etc” for years. There was a thread on here about how we will suffer with Rodon being sold not so long ago. We have had 9 or 10 clean sheets since. You replenish and replace, players rarely stay for a long time.

A very apt point also is when you have a style of play that is so technical, and a style of play that is consistent from the top down through all ages - replacing players becomes far easier, as we have shown for the best part of 2 decades. You either promote your own or you go into the market where you know exactly the type of player to fit into the style.

Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:42 am

stentona wrote:Roathie? :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2:

Why oh why? do people respond to this, narcissist, you keep on responding and all you are doing is feeding his ego, ignore him and although he will not go away, he will have to keep resurrecting Swansea threads to get his fixes!

Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:43 am

boglin wrote:Let’s be totally honest here we will always be small fish in a big pond in the premier league , and any talent will be taken away by the bigger boys, we will never be an attraction to a premier pro player against a more established team transfer wise, either though money talks.
I believe Any success will continue to be short lived until either club can build A successful youth policy to have some sort longevity in the Prem,
So we’re all in it for the long ride, I just wish before I pop my clogs we begin to play football again, like under DJ

Correct.

I had a conversation with a Cardiff fan not so long ago where he was claiming to be the bigger club etc etc in which I reminded him, that these in demand players are 20, 21, 22 years old.

Pretty much all of their playing life, Swansea have been very successful. Let’s say they started taking notice of football seriously when they were 8 or 9. They would have witnessed Swansea lift a major trophy, finish multiple times top 10 in the Premier League, reach the knock out stages of Europe, have world renowned players like Michu, Bony, Llorente, Sigurdsson performing for them.

While some 110 year old bloke may claim Cardiff have some sort of a case, the overwhelming majority of football fans and all footballers will not see it as a contest. So this notion some on here that Cardiff are seen as a big club is so wide of the mark it’s incredible. I have seen comparisons to WBA and Everton on here in recent times, just madness really.

Until you are happy in your own skin and come to terms with where the club is in the football hierarchy today (not 100 years ago) I highly doubt you will be able to get the reset you need and the time and patience needed to do it. It’s not something you can decide and then do the next day, it’s a process of years upon years of hard work and commitment.

Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:46 am

Igovernor wrote:
stentona wrote:Roathie? :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2:

Why oh why? do people respond to this, narcissist, you keep on responding and all you are doing is feeding his ego, ignore him and although he will not go away, he will have to keep resurrecting Swansea threads to get his fixes!

Feel free to put a sensible counter to what I’m saying. It’s always telling that the first response to me adding a dose of reality is the pleading for people to not listen or engage from the usual suspects.

It reminds me of a cult at times. There is a big myth that everyone has to protect to the point you even lock threads not to hear any of the truths. Like some mass self propaganda safe space :D

Bizarre.

Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:32 pm

No - the dire brand of football, dire squad and the fact we are seriously lacking in so many fronts. It doesn’t matter what other clubs do, it’s what we do and the truth is we are well behind in so many areas.

Harris is just a fall guy for Warnock, he’s had a few quid but has had to work with what was left. Flint, Murphy, vaulks, bacuna and many more. How much money did we spend for a underwhelming lack of quality. Harris managed to polish a turd last year, this year it’s just back to being a plain old turd.

Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:04 pm

boglin wrote:I suppose the really big question is will either club be backed if promotion is achieved, and I would be concerned if I was a swans fan, if ayew goes they are relying on Lowe, the Brighton guy is crap, will the Chelsea defender be loaned again , will cabango or roberts be sold,

What will they do when brendan Rodgers leaves, or Lee trundle to Bristol, or Dan James, or mcburnie, or siggurdson, or Jason Scotland, or bony to man City, or Scott sinclair, or Joe Allen, or when michu retires, or when Ben Davies goes to spurs, or when potter leaves, or Joe rodon, or Jordan ayew or Ashley Williams etc... Do you get what I mean...

Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:23 pm

The jacks have nothing to do with Cardiff. The only similarities are that they are welsh teams other than that they are different.

Whether or not it encourages change is irrelevant. Because there vision and the way the club is being run in completely different from us. Our board and owner is not really giving us fans the clarity we need, i mean does Tan still want to keep this ship floating to nowhere or does he want us to climb the table by giving our manager money to bring the quality players in.

So yeah that is where we are as a club, we want to do more but are limited due to the funds in the transfer window.

Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:35 pm

Trefelin06 wrote:mcburnie

Yep gotta be fair, you had a lot of saleable assets over the last decade,
There will be good and bad times for us both, it’s part of being a football fan, let’s just enjoy the rollercoaster

Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:43 pm

To be fair, whatever happens and wherever we end up I will still follow the city,
But ... for a city our size and catchment area we should be Bottom half premier league at least, but as we live in a country where the egg comes first , football will always play second fiddle to it, thanks to our country’s bias journalism

Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:34 pm

This may annoy some. But it’s my opinion.

I don’t care what swansea do because I support Cardiff. I’d rather we sort our own yard out before moaning about theirs.

Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:52 pm

Doctor wrote:
londontaffia wrote:
Doctor wrote:
Port Talbot 10,48 wrote:
What nonsense.

Don't be so daft.

https://talksport.com/football/320299/t ... 207264732//

You would have to be 100+ years old to have even the vaguest of memory of Cardiff winning a major trophy.

In terms of attendance there is barely anything between the two clubs. 2k or 3k maybe? It’s nothing.

In the last 20 years, our average has been 14,169 and yours has been 17,503, that’s largely due to us selling out at a capped 20,000 for 25% of that time.

If you go back 40 years our average has been 10,255 and yours has been 11,378.

Nothing in it. Barely a 1000.

I support all our Welsh clubs but Cardiff is easily the biggest club in Wales with the most potential. Despite being in the bottom three most of our last season in the Premier League we had the 11th highest attendance with 33k + whereas the Jacks in their 7 seasons sometimes couldn’t sell out their 22k so didn’t increase the capacity in their ground. We increased our capacity by 5k once we got into the Premier League and would have increased it to at least 50k if we had been in the PL for 7 years! Our catchment is 1.5 m compared to about 0.5m for the Jacks!

Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:47 pm

We sold out for 5 years on the spin and gradually increased capacity by a few hundred each year to try and squeeze more in. We only started not to by a couple of hundred in the last 2 years, by that time the people who were clamouring for the spare tickets had got used to not being able to go and getting into other routines. When people come back from Covid you will find attendances won’t be at the level they were before because people who once wanted to go have found other things to do now.

We didn’t expand because it wasn’t our stadium, nothing to do with the demand. We would both get 30k for some Premier League games. We took 42000 to Wembley for the play-offs against Reading. We would have done similar for all the big matches in the first two years before the novelty wears off. With the greatest of respect, you guys haven’t had the luxury of the PL factor wearing off and becoming established, it’s still pretty new to your fans.

In terms of catchment area, your catchment area is our catchment area. We are 40 mins apart. There are constant moans on here that there are now Swansea shirts walking around in what you previously considered “Cardiff territory”. That’s the way of the world. I also remember the annoyance that our academy centres were on your doorstep. The whole of South and Mid Wales is both of our catchment areas, whichever side succeeds gets to tap into it.

As I have shown further up the thread, over the last 40 years there is 1000 between our average attendances and that’s including the time our demand could not be satisfied due to capacity restrictions.