Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: A Big question, a small club like Swansea, how the hell

Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:31 pm

i honestly dont get where your coming from pretending to not understand what people mean when they say football man...
and Swanseas owners tasked Leon Britton and Curtis to advise on appointing their last manager..

Spot on that is the difference using the football people we dont have them at the club we might have good business people but are not good at picking managers , and they sack them at the wrong time like Malky and Warnock sorry just my view .

Warnock sacked and look at us now or and look at Mboro

Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:41 pm

valleyrambill wrote:
i honestly dont get where your coming from pretending to not understand what people mean when they say football man...
and Swanseas owners tasked Leon Britton and Curtis to advise on appointing their last manager..

Spot on that is the difference using the football people we dont have them at the club we might have good business people but are not good at picking managers , and they sack them at the wrong time like Malky and Warnock sorry just my view .

I think the message is getting over.

Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:00 pm

valleyrambill wrote:

Warnock was here though and we were 14th when he left, whats your point? If he was having the same affect here as he is currently having at boro, he would still be here. But we were in decline then and his signings are the players people seem to moan about constantly on here. What hes doing at boro is what he does, he's brilliant at turning around a clubs form in a short time. It why Rotherham, us and boro appointed him when we were in a relegation fight.

Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:02 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
valleyrambill wrote:

Come on then what makes a football man become a football man ?

Is it over a decade of top level football ownership like Tan

Is is 20 years as a director of a championship team like Borley ?

Is it a decade as chairman like Dalman ?

Is it 25 years playing and managing at a very high level like Harris ?

Who is it that people want as nobody can say who these people are!

Why with over 50 years experience between them are our commitee not classed as football men ?

Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:10 pm

thomasblue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
valleyrambill wrote:

Why with over 50 years experience between them are our commitee not classed as football men ?

Gosh Thomas why don't you add Wayne Nash as an ex hooligan and 20 years football stadium manager.

Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:14 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
valleyrambill wrote:

Gosh Thomas why don't you add Wayne Nash as an ex hooligan and 20 years football stadium manager.

Is he on the board ?

No

All I've done is name some of our directors and transfer committee and the experience they have as football men actually working at a football club. All facts .

Answer the question its apparently easy

Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:18 pm

I don’t know why you are all so worried that the jacks are doing better than us other clubs smaller than them have leap over us in years gone by the luck just seems to be with them it’s not all sweetness and light down there .there fans still want the Americans out as regards Steve cooper who is a very good coach but at the momeant they are tolerating him because they are doing well in the league if they hit a bad patch the mood will soon change they also sold there academy has part of the cutting costing that they went through personally I don’t give a dam about them

Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:18 pm

thomasblue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
valleyrambill wrote:

Is he on the board ?

No

All I've done is name some of our directors and transfer committee and the experience they have as football men actually working at a football club. All facts .

It’s actually not working Thomas as we are failing at all levels and the facts are there after 11 yrs, everyone can see for themselves.

If you want, I could put up all their results of U18’s / U23’s and our first team and they are abysmal and you know it.

Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:25 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
valleyrambill wrote:

Is he on the board ?

No

It’s actually not working Thomas as we are failing at all levels and the facts are there after 11 yrs, everyone can see for themselves.

If you want, I could put up all their results of U18’s / U23’s and our first team and they are abysmal and you know it.

Yes results This season results are poor and the management at team level is shockingly bad which I fully expect our board to address in the next 2 weeks.
I can also pull up 2019s u18s team that won the league for the first time ever so what has happened since then ?

I can also point to the average age of our u23s which is the youngest in the league . In fact everyone is going on about Swansea but they are below us in the table for the development team.

Can you name this elusive football man everybody wants and explain why over 50 years top flight football experience between our transfer committee does not make them football men please ?
Nobody seems to be able to answer the same question.

Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:28 pm

I dont know why you are all worried that Swansea are doing better than us other clubs smaller than them have done better than us in years gone by and we are bigger than most off them Steve Cooper is a good coach but the Swansea fans are only tolerating him at the momeant because of where they are in the league they still want there American owners out and they sold off there academy as part of their cost cutting programme so it’s not all sweet and light down there me personally I couldn’t give a dam about them

Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:34 pm

thomasblue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
valleyrambill wrote:

Is he on the board ?

No

Yes results This season results are poor and the management at team level is shockingly bad which I fully expect our board to address in the next 2 weeks.
I can also pull up 2019s u18s team that won the league for the first time ever so what has happened since then ?

I can also point to the average age of our u23s which is the youngest in the league . In fact everyone is going on about Swansea but they are below us in the table for the development team.

Can you name this elusive football man everybody wants and explain why over 50 years top flight football experience between our transfer committee does not make them football men please ?

I follow every result and match report and we play a lot of lower league teams and many other clubs also put out 16yr olds exactly like us.
Our results are worse than awful.

How many players have made it in the last 11yrs?

How come every couple yrs we keep having clear outs , new managers, new systems in the Accademies?

What have we achieved??

Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:03 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
valleyrambill wrote:

Is he on the board ?

No

I follow every result and match report and we player mostly lower league teams and many other clubs also put out 16yr olds exactly like us.
Our results are worse than awful.

How many players have made it in the last 11yrs?

How come every couple yrs we keep having clear outs , new managers, new systems in the Accademies?

What have we achieved??

The whole nature of youth football requires clear outs every 2 years thats how age groups work, players get older and are either good enough or not.
In the last 2 years since the restructure we have won the league at u18s level and given 1st team debuts to 2 very good young players this season in Harris and Bagan.

We lost our best prospect in Rabbi Matondo who went on to be sold for £10mill because of unfair rules.

And we have announced plans to upgrade to a category one facility.

What else could we have done in that time ?

Out of interest how many players from Cardiff or surrounding areas have we missed that made it at our level or higher ?

Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:36 pm

I have never adhered to the hate the the jacks mantra they are a Welsh football club. If they do well good for them what they have done is to give youngsters a chance and play football the way it should be on the floor mostly. They are owned by a US venture capitalist concern whose goal is to bleed as much as they can from their investment. Yet look at where they are it only goes to show what can be done. We however are in a limbo with little talent even less youth possibilities with an owner who is not going to invest.

Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:13 pm

The problem I see with the type of football we play, in this League as we have seen it can be successful in the short term if the luck is with you, but once you go up, it will fail. The teams in the Premier League playing a better brand of football will always unlock and defeat the long ball teams.

There's a reason all the top teams play a certain way, look at Brentford.

The issue is you cannot change overnight.

Bring in a football man to manage the team and change the style would be good, but how does he do that with players who only know how to kick the ball hard and high. There maybe some players who can be trained in a new way but there would need to be serious turnover.

This gives a number of problems as the team will suffer during the change.

* Not get sacked because of initiual results
* Not lose the fans backing
* Not lose the dressing room (especially with those close to the door)
* Not get relegated.

Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:22 pm

Surprised the Doctor has not responded that the Jacks are the biggest club in the World on Twitter.

Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:19 pm

thomasblue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
valleyrambill wrote:

Is he on the board ?

No

yes it is easy...extremely easy...simple. .its been answered a hundred times in many ways...bur YOU dont get ..when things are too difficult try giving up...

Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:28 pm

I think the Swansea success story goes a long way back to when they bounced back from oblivion.

My opinion their success story goes back to martinez and Jenkins.

At the time they hit the rest button at the club. The Swansea way philosophy is basically Martinez way.

What Jenkins did well and where we have fallen down, is that he then adapted the Martinez way of playing and rolled that over time into a Swansea way, from 1st team and throughout their academy.

What Cardiff have done is appoint Managers and they basically create the Cardiff identity on their appointment.

Its basically ripping up the whole club everytime we appoint a manager. Or the new mangager has to run with players that doesn't suit the way they want to play.

E.g. Dave Jones era - very attacking
Malkey - totally different Cardiff City in one management change.

People keep scratching their heads why we haven't produced academy players. For me this is the biggest reason. There is no Cardiff identity.

Wolves went down rebuilt came back with a plan
Brentford ripped up their manual and sacked a very successful manger at the time to go down a way and follow a plan. Look at the players they're sold on in the last 10 years.
Leeds after years of failure decided to go for a foreign manager and new philosophy.

Back to the jacks is that even with the Americans from what I can see they've been advised well to appoint their managers.

Would the Americans know Graham Potter or Cooper. No chance. Both of these managers however continued the same way of play.

Its no shock to me that they produce more players through their academy and we don't.

They have the same way of playing from U10s, U16s U18s & 1st team. Its a conveyor belt of players been taught the same thing. Players are able to play up age groups and automatically know what is expected.

Can we honestly say that our acadmey was playing Warnock way when he was here.

What is our identity now under Harris :banghead:

Our U8s, U9s, U10s are as good as anyones its how they're then developed. How are they ever going to transition into 1st players when the 1st team has no identity and can only operate on a transfer market policy.

This is why for me we need to replace Harris. They really need to decide how they want Cardiff to play. What does a Cardiff team look like and then recruit managers in the future that will fit that mould. Not mould the club to the manager.

Then with exciting projects like with new academy ground etc. Have all the coaching staff developing players in that one direction and bring the club together.

Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:49 pm

We just seem to have a massive brick wall between the manager and the board. You get the impression that board meetings consist of looking at the balance sheet, and hardly ever discuss team matters and the direction of travel. We're in desperate need of either a fans representative having a place on the board, or a Director of Football or an equivalent, acting as liaison between the 2.
You get the impression they are 2 distinct entities who haven't a clue what the other is trying to achieve.

Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:08 pm

Point of order. We didn’t sell our academy, we downgraded from Category 1, which is obviously the right thing to do whilst not in the EPL.

Not a single player was produced by Category 1 status. All the youth you refer to was developed or brought in before Category 1. So investment in an academy has nothing to do with our success.

As for attendances over the last 40 years you have averaged 1000 more, and we had a restricted capacity while at 100% capacity for a long time. Nothing in it.

Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:18 am

Reply Twitter:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:17 am

skidemin wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
valleyrambill wrote:

Is he on the board ?

No

yes it is easy...extremely easy...simple. .its been answered a hundred times in many ways...bur YOU dont get ..when things are too difficult try giving up...

Rubbish

Not one person on this board has answered the apparently simple questions.

What makes a football man ?
Who should we employ to help ?
Why does 50 years experience between our board not count ?

I'll wait, I'm guessing people can't answer it because they realise in fact out board and transfer committee are now very experienced.

Does over 20 years at this club not make Borley a football man ?
That is the same amount of time at a club as Sam Hamman.

Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:08 am

Thomas

Being here between 7 -10 years doesn t make you experienced..if you don t learn by it
Tan Runs the club as a business man and lives in Malaysia and visits less and less
Dalman an Investment Banker who is registerd as living in Monaco
Choos another who is a Director of several companies and lives in London

Tan whose experience was to change our colour and identity and split the fan base
Demand the team shoot more
Asked why the goalkeeper doen t score more
Because Wales got to the semis of the euros appointed the assistant coach and told him to get us to play like Wales?

Thats a football man

It s all about opinions Thomas ....respect other peoples i respect your s just dont agree with them :bluescarf:

Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:26 am

Forever Blue wrote:I hate having to say it, but sadly this is true and we are not going in the right direction.

A Big question, a small club like Swansea, how the hell are they 2nd from top and many more yrs up in the Prem than us?

And we look more relegation candidates than promotion candidates :cry: :cry:

And kept their identity and badge.

My point is how come a way smaller club than us is achieving way way more than us?

They make fewer managerial mistakes than we do!

When things start to go slightly adrift most fans scream for a New Manager, at Swansea they try and get the right Manager more often than not, rather than panic and get whoever is available they wait for the right option for them, often cheap.

When looking for a Manager they look at what contacts the New Manager has and can he bring in some good loan players cheaply from previous jobs.

Brendon Rodgers was the best but most have had good contacts, Copper is a real gamble but looks to be paying off (so far) with some good young players loaned from other clubs.

Brentford is another small club, but they have a good system and again take their time appointing the right Manager for their club.

if we are to improve we need to keep out nerve and not panic, Harris's replacement needs to be better not just the best of the duffers available.

Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:39 am

cardiff 74 wrote:I dont know why you are all worried that Swansea are doing better than us other clubs smaller than them have done better than us in years gone by and we are bigger than most off them Steve Cooper is a good coach but the Swansea fans are only tolerating him at the momeant because of where they are in the league they still want there American owners out and they sold off there academy as part of their cost cutting programme so it’s not all sweet and light down there me personally I couldn’t give a dam about them

Spot on they are just another club, the current form is pretty good and Cooper has borrowed some good players, but it just papers over the cracks.

They won't sustain it, they won't go up, the players will go back to their respective clubs, they still have no investment and rent a rusty old ground with a shit pitch, the cost-cutting has started and will continue, it's where you've finished in May that matters not where teams are at Christmas!

We need to start planning and get the next managerial appointment right and not panic, we are not going up or down so can take out time and get it right, this is the perfect time for a reset.

Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:45 am

Bluebina wrote:
cardiff 74 wrote:I dont know why you are all worried that Swansea are doing better than us other clubs smaller than them have done better than us in years gone by and we are bigger than most off them Steve Cooper is a good coach but the Swansea fans are only tolerating him at the momeant because of where they are in the league they still want there American owners out and they sold off there academy as part of their cost cutting programme so it’s not all sweet and light down there me personally I couldn’t give a dam about them

Spot on they are just another club, the current form is pretty good and Cooper has borrowed some good players, but it just papers over the cracks.

They won't sustain it, they won't go up, the players will go back to their respective clubs, they still have no investment and rent a rusty old ground with a shit pitch, the cost-cutting has started and will continue, it's where you've finished in May that matters not where teams are at Christmas!

We need to start planning and get the next managerial appointment right and not panic, we are not going up or down so can take out time and get it right, this is the perfect time for a reset.

At this moment we probably have the best pitch in the whole football league.

Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:00 am

"Can you name this elusive football man everybody wants and explain why over 50 years top flight football experience between our transfer committee does not make them football men please ?
Nobody seems to be able to answer the same question."

Maybe we cant - but how come they can , they always pick a manager that then goes on to better things. The list is endless.
And it's done to their backroom staff - Alan Curtis & Co. They arte the back bone of the club that rarely changes. Similar to the Anfield bootroom. From what I can see we dont have / never had this setup. The results are there for all to see

Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:30 pm

Bit of a rant here so warned. The truth is that Swansea were forced to build slowly but smartly due to the much smaller resource pool available to them. It was a long process of good managerial decisions arguably starting with Martinez and every decision made probably had a lot of thought behind as they simply couldn't throw money at things and hope for the best. The club focussed on working towards a specific playstyle and every single staff and player appointment from then on was done with that playstyle in mind, and it clearly worked for them. Long term strategy aside, it's not as if they didn't ride their luck occasionally, as it was a playoff entry that got them into the Prem but once they were there they made a good go of things as they were mid table prem competitors for a good few years after the first shaky season.

I'd argue it is simply these 2 factors that set the two clubs aside.Firstly Swansea had the long term focus on a modern attractive playstyle that was always the deciding factor (aside from price obviously) when it came to hiring. This playstyle is extremely adaptive and can be used well against a majority of of setups as well as being suitable to multiple changes in the team selection. Cardiff had a vague plan of have big players and try to bully and hoofball it. This style can be brutally effective as Cardiff have dominated some games, but it's also easily countered by teams who expect it or have experienced it, furthermore so many players were bought by Cardiff that really didn't fit into or enjoy this style of play.

The second factor as mentioned earlier is the budget difference. Cardiff were quite well supplied by Tan, especially in the early years. When the Swans went up to the Prem their 'firepower' purchase was Danny Graham who was roughly 3.5 million. I can't even remember how much Cardiff spent when they went up but I do know it was significantly more and a lot of it was wasted as some players basically fucked off after relegation. Swansea's smaller budget simply forced them to buy intelligently regarding playstyle and pricetag, but it also forced them to really focus and improve their selling game. I won't name names or prices, but it's obvious they have sold well consistently over the years and every time a few here have predicted their demise after selling their 'key player', and every time their squad was able to handle it just fine.

Aside from the Americans getting into the club, the Swans have done modern football the right way for a decade or so. Going forward I think Cardiff need to alter their core play style to something a bit more adaptable because every year hoofball becomes more and more outdated. Sure sometimes it works, but it really is chancing it for every game to rest on a single good long ball. Tan needs better footballing men between him and the manager, and Harris needs to go (the only question is when as there is no point sacking him now to replace him with more dross and no long term plan other than punt the ball). I would say the immediate changes that would have a huge impact would be improve scouting, and improve performance in the player market regarding sales. Too often Cardiff pay over the odds for a player, whilst letting decent players go for peanuts or a free. Once this is started a new play style and focus needs to be adopted, this should then be followed by a new manager, new players and the appropriate changes to the youth setup. Cardiff have the potential for success as the financial stability is there and the potential for huge local and regional support exists.

Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:55 pm

BroBlue wrote:Bit of a rant here so warned. The truth is that Swansea were forced to build slowly but smartly due to the much smaller resource pool available to them. It was a long process of good managerial decisions arguably starting with Martinez and every decision made probably had a lot of thought behind as they simply couldn't throw money at things and hope for the best. The club focussed on working towards a specific playstyle and every single staff and player appointment from then on was done with that playstyle in mind, and it clearly worked for them. Long term strategy aside, it's not as if they didn't ride their luck occasionally, as it was a playoff entry that got them into the Prem but once they were there they made a good go of things as they were mid table prem competitors for a good few years after the first shaky season.

I'd argue it is simply these 2 factors that set the two clubs aside.Firstly Swansea had the long term focus on a modern attractive playstyle that was always the deciding factor (aside from price obviously) when it came to hiring. This playstyle is extremely adaptive and can be used well against a majority of of setups as well as being suitable to multiple changes in the team selection. Cardiff had a vague plan of have big players and try to bully and hoofball it. This style can be brutally effective as Cardiff have dominated some games, but it's also easily countered by teams who expect it or have experienced it, furthermore so many players were bought by Cardiff that really didn't fit into or enjoy this style of play.

The second factor as mentioned earlier is the budget difference. Cardiff were quite well supplied by Tan, especially in the early years. When the Swans went up to the Prem their 'firepower' purchase was Danny Graham who was roughly 3.5 million. I can't even remember how much Cardiff spent when they went up but I do know it was significantly more and a lot of it was wasted as some players basically fucked off after relegation. Swansea's smaller budget simply forced them to buy intelligently regarding playstyle and pricetag, but it also forced them to really focus and improve their selling game. I won't name names or prices, but it's obvious they have sold well consistently over the years and every time a few here have predicted their demise after selling their 'key player', and every time their squad was able to handle it just fine.

Aside from the Americans getting into the club, the Swans have done modern football the right way for a decade or so. Going forward I think Cardiff need to alter their core play style to something a bit more adaptable because every year hoofball becomes more and more outdated. Sure sometimes it works, but it really is chancing it for every game to rest on a single good long ball. Tan needs better footballing men between him and the manager, and Harris needs to go (the only question is when as there is no point sacking him now to replace him with more dross and no long term plan other than punt the ball). I would say the immediate changes that would have a huge impact would be improve scouting, and improve performance in the player market regarding sales. Too often Cardiff pay over the odds for a player, whilst letting decent players go for peanuts or a free. Once this is started a new play style and focus needs to be adopted, this should then be followed by a new manager, new players and the appropriate changes to the youth setup. Cardiff have the potential for success as the financial stability is there and the potential for huge local and regional support exists.

Winning in the playoffs wasn’t luck. We finished 3rd. Beat Forest comfortably over 2 legs and beat Reading in the Final 4-2, the 3rd time we beat them out of 3 matches that season.

We were the best side in the playoffs and it showed.

Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:14 pm

There are lots of different metrics you can use to measure the size of a club. Success is one of them. Just because we are the capital dosnt mean we are bigger in all aspects. Maybe it's because I grew up watching Swansea over take us, as well as seeing clubs fall from prem to league 1/2 that i dont buy into this "bigger club" idea.

We have been rather stagnate. Been the almost team, to a bit of yoyo club. I think a big part of Swansea success has been the fact it started in the lower leagues and developed a good brand of football. While managers in the championship are raley given a chance to make a long lasting impression unless they have immediate success. Look at Harris now. Very nearly got us promoted last year, and were in a bad spell now and people want to get rid. Which could me and overall of background staff, as well as youth academy as he brought in a few people in himself.

Harris attempted to get us playing a more possession based game and evolve our style, but didn't get immediate wins and ended up reverting back to a more direct style. Win 5 games in a row, then another bad streak and were back to calling for his head.

This "we're a bigger club" in my view is what a led to a lack of patients with mangers, which in turn adds to the lack of continuity that would be needed for long term success.

Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:41 pm

thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
valleyrambill wrote:

Is he on the board ?

No

Rubbish

Not one person on this board has answered the apparently simple questions.

What makes a football man ?
Who should we employ to help ?
Why does 50 years experience between our board not count ?

I'll wait, I'm guessing people can't answer it because they realise in fact out board and transfer committee are now very experienced.

Does over 20 years at this club not make Borley a football man ?
That is the same amount of time at a club as Sam Hamman.

nobody has answered to your satisfaction....plenty have actually answered and its only you that does not understand... ?