Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Name one side bigger than us....

Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:53 pm

Name me one side who have a bigger fan base than us without having more success than us.

So let’s Newcastle for example.....huge club huge fan base much bigger than us BUT they have spent most of the past 30/40 years in the top divisions.

I want sides with less top flight football than us with bigger fan bases.

Re: Name one side bigger than us....

Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:56 pm

There isn't one.we are British footballs all time under achievers.

Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:12 pm

Portsmouth on par with us

Sunderland

Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:18 pm

Got to be sunderland just the size of the city
and bugger all else to do in Sunderland if your a bloke
apart from the obvious

Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:21 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Portsmouth on par with us

Sunderland

No Sunderland have played over 80 seasons in the top division Portsmouth 37 no one has such a big fan base as us with so few seasons in the top division and 93 years without a major trophy.

Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:23 pm

montyblue wrote:Got to be sunderland just the size of the city
apart from the obvious

I agree with that; go there quite a lot for work-related purposes and a good night out in Sunderland is a trip to near by Newcastle...! :lol:

Not too many 'bigger' than Cardiff who aren't up the top; and being a capital city should be a help not a hindrance

Not knocking Tan here, as he has done the business in the main; but we just need an owner who can see that and put it in place going forward rather than treading water, which seems to be the current position

Always assuming of course, he isn't about to replace the manager and set us in forward motion again

As I said elsewhere, watch this space on that one... ;) :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:28 pm

Read the OP he's asking for clubs with less seasons in the top flight.

Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:08 pm

montyblue wrote:Got to be sunderland just the size of the city
apart from the obvious

huge club , but how does 14 prem seasons and winning a cup this century make them less successful

Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:02 am

Bradford City have massive potential.

Were averaging in League two over 18,000.

They never win anything & a massive City.

Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:05 am

Sunderland fall into the same category as Newcastle. They both have many many more seasons in the top flight than ourselves. Which makes them a lot more “successful” than us.

My question was name a bigger club than us who have had LESS success than ourselves.

Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:11 am

Britains all time big area under achievers Bradford City,Bristol city,and Cardiff City.

Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:12 am

Isn’t one, had this debate time and time again. The bigger clubs ( and there aren’t many) have all had sustained top flight football. Be it recently or in the last two decades so they still have that retained fan base ( forest ) an example.

A Cardiff in the top flight year on year would dwarf most clubs, we were 11th best supported team in the epl with a relation team. Massive under achievers.

Pompey or Sunderland don’t count both have had success in the last ten years, top flight football fa cup winners. We are the biggest.

Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:34 am

Stringfellow wrote:Isn’t one, had this debate time and time again. The bigger clubs ( and there aren’t many) have all had sustained top flight football. Be it recently or in the last two decades so they still have that retained fan base ( forest ) an example.

A Cardiff in the top flight year on year would dwarf most clubs, we were 11th best supported team in the epl with a relation team. Massive under achievers.

Pompey or Sunderland don’t count both have had success in the last ten years, top flight football fa cup winners. We are the biggest.

100% correct.would Newcastle or Sunderland have massive fan bases if they hadn't spent 87 and 86 years respectively in the top division?.

Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:01 am

For years Cardiff was the biggest city in the uk without a top tier team. I think Hull are of similar size but I assume their 2 rugby league teams are the biggest draw.

Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:47 am

Nottingham Forest. We've had more prem seasons than them I would have thought. Similar sized clubs

Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:47 am

I think we are probably just edged out by Bristol City. Bristol is a bigger CIty than Cardiff and hasn't even had a little bit of success we have had in the last decade.

Agree we are one of footballs biggest underachievers though. :banghead:

Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:14 am

Birmingham

Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:38 am

Floppsy wrote:For years Cardiff was the biggest city in the uk without a top tier team. I think Hull are of similar size but I assume their 2 rugby league teams are the biggest draw.

Was going to post Hull, similar to Cardiff as they’re in a strong rugby area, all be it League and not Union.

Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:44 am

Birmingham?? Lol they've enjoyed 67 seasons in the top division and recently won a trophy.

Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:27 am

skiprat wrote:Birmingham?? Lol they've enjoyed 67 seasons in the top division and recently won a trophy.

So what is the criteria?

Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:05 pm

A club with a bigger fanbase but with an all time worse history.

Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:20 pm

skiprat wrote:A club with a bigger fanbase but with an all time worse history.

Ok shoot me :old:

Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:28 pm

theclaw wrote:

There isn't one all clubs with a bigger fan base than us have a better history.someone mentioned forest they've had 56 seasons in the top division we are on 17.

Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:04 pm

skiprat wrote:
theclaw wrote:

There isn't one all clubs with a bigger fan base than us have a better history.someone mentioned forest they've had 56 seasons in the top division we are on 17.

Yeah Forest was a strange suggestion given they've been European Champions as well.

Always thought of Forest as a big club, almost up there with Leeds in terms of the big clubs that for some reason couldn't get back to the top flight.

Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:30 pm

EALING AYATOLLAH

Bristol have 2 clubs from same city if they merged together they would have probably achieved more

Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:18 pm

This seems very much like a loaded question to make Cardiff look bad.

Fan base is an arbitrary metric as some seem to think we’ve got a 1 million population catchment area whilst some only want to go off a season’s worth of attendances. As for success, again another arbitrary measure. Only 43 teams in the UK have won the FA cup but we won it 93 years ago. So are we in the top 43 teams in the league? A team languishing in League 2 may have had more seasons in the top flight but not since the 50’s, so are they bigger than us despite our success being decades more recent?

OP has clearly made his mind up that there isn’t a single team bigger than us with less success which makes this thread fairly pointless to debate.

Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:37 pm

The reason I asked the question is I personally can’t think of one. Doesn’t mean to say there isn’t one.

Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:52 pm

montyblue wrote:EALING AYATOLLAH

Bristol have 2 clubs from same city if they merged together they would have probably achieved more

True. Same could be said for Birmingham as well I suppose. :thumbup:

Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:37 pm

Aberbeeg Blues wrote:The reason I asked the question is I personally can’t think of one. Doesn’t mean to say there isn’t one.

i cant either...massive under achievers and have been for decades...

Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:02 pm

skidemin wrote:
Aberbeeg Blues wrote:The reason I asked the question is I personally can’t think of one. Doesn’t mean to say there isn’t one.

i cant either...massive under achievers and have been for decades...

Totally agree with you :bluebird: :bluebird:

Potentially we are a Top 10 Premier League crowd puller, but would need at least 5 yrs up there. :bluebird:

I mentioned Sunderland but theyve spent beyond yrs up there, but virtually winning nothing in the last 40,thats why i mentioned them.