Who can you find?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Who can you find?

Postby Pantmawr Bluebird » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:32 pm

Going through my old programmes this evening and found our friendly against Auxerre in 2006. I believe we had just signed Mcphail, McNaughton and Johnson that summer.

But who rocked up for Auxerre playing #29? Bacary Sagna

Which "unknown" footballer do you remember coming up against us that turned out to be a 'famous name'?
Pantmawr Bluebird

Who can you find?

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Who can you find?

Postby davids » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:36 pm

I remember Kevin de Bruyne playing against us for Wolfsberg in a pre season friendly before he signed for Man City but he'd already played for Chelsea before that I think.
davids

Postby Big Hill Blue » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:37 pm

Sure I saw a young bloke playing against us called Stan Collymore
Big Hill Blue

Postby davids » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:45 pm

I'm sure when we played Ajax in a friendly a few years ago they had a certain Luis Suarez in their squad but I can't remember if he got on the pitch.
davids

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:06 pm

davids wrote:I remember Kevin de Bruyne playing against us for Wolfsberg in a pre season friendly before he signed for Man City but he'd already played for Chelsea before that I think.

Yeah he scored a screamer against us as well!
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby Bluebird For Life » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:31 pm

davids wrote:I remember Kevin de Bruyne playing against us for Wolfsberg in a pre season friendly before he signed for Man City but he'd already played for Chelsea before that I think.

Yes - he scored a wonder goal in that game and didn't we come from 0-3 down to draw in the last minute?
Bluebird For Life

Postby Bluebird For Life » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:34 pm

davids wrote:I'm sure when we played Ajax in a friendly a few years ago they had a certain Luis Suarez in their squad but I can't remember if he got on the pitch.

My youngest sons first ever match that was - a lot of Ajax fans and I believe Klaas Jan Huntelaar had a fantastic shot well saved in a fairly dull game. I don't remember Suarez playing but it was a few years ago now...
Bluebird For Life

Postby Pantmawr Bluebird » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:22 am

Turning the question around, I have just found a programme from our friendly game vs Deportivo La Coruna and remembered x2 players on trial for us ;

Finnish international - Toni Kallio played for us at left back. Was just released by Premier League Fulham

Ex Liverpool/Portsmouth etc - Gregory Vignal - came off the bench for us
Pantmawr Bluebird

Postby Barclay1 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:41 am

davids wrote:I'm sure when we played Ajax in a friendly a few years ago they had a certain Luis Suarez in their squad but I can't remember if he got on the pitch.

That Ajax game was mental! Thousands more fans turned up than expected and the ground had to open up the grange end and the front of the bob bank.

A few battles with Ajax fans running out of their part of the grange to meet city fan and suddenly then frantically piling back in chased by the City!!!

Fair dos though, their fans were fantastic. There's a video of them singing Bob Marleys '3 little birds' from the Grange end on you tube.
1st Game 24th Nov 1973 City v Bolton 1-0 (Gil Reece)
Barclay1

Postby Jestrix » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:09 pm

Barclay1 wrote:

That Ajax game was mental! Thousands more fans turned up than expected and the ground had to open up the grange end and the front of the bob bank.

A few battles with Ajax fans running out of their part of the grange to meet city fan and suddenly then frantically piling back in chased by the City!!!

Fair dos though, their fans were fantastic. There's a video of them singing Bob Marleys '3 little birds' from the Grange end on you tube.

I heard a story on a Podcast about this, apparently that night is exactly why Ajax fans sing that song. They had no affiliation with it prior to that evening and it was played over the tannoy while they were being kept in the ground and from then they started singing it. It was either on Elis James feast of Football or the socially distanced sports podcast (well worth a listen so so funny)
Jestrix

Postby bluesince62 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:59 pm

Yes i remember that game v wolfsberg ended 3-3 , i think,didnt he also score?
bluesince62

Postby Floppsy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:00 pm

bluesince62 wrote:

Yes i remember that game v wolfsberg ended 3-3 , i think,didnt he also score?

He did.
That was the first time I saw Burgstaller play and thought we had a decent player on our books. 6 months later he was gone.
On a sadder note, the Wolfsburg midfielder, Malanda, was killed in a car crash a few months after that game.
Floppsy

Return to General Chat