Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

£500,000 bid accepted, but I wonder what went wrong?

Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:37 am

£500,000 bid accepted, but I wonder what went wrong?

Tindall ‘contradicted’ as Bournemouth accept bid for defender

Sky Sports

Bournemouth have accepted a £500,000 offer rising to £750,000 from Cardiff City for Jack Simpson, reports Sky Sports News (17.01.21,).

Jack Simpson's contract with Bournemouth runs out in five months and manager Tindall had originally stated he would be offered a new one, but has changed his mind.

The 24-year-old is a product of the Bournemouth youth academy. He’s long been a player that Bournemouth fans have wanted to see break into the first-team and this season, the defender has made nine Championship appearances.

After a decent run in the side, Simpson has finally started to break into this Bournemouth starting line-up but now, he looks set to be on his way to Cardiff City.

Speaking to Bournemouth Echo earlier in the season, Bournemouth boss Jason Tindall was pressed for an update on Simpson, who started the season mostly on the bench:

“I see Simmo as a big part of the future of the football club.

“I certainly really like him as a player and look at him as someone that, if I needed to at any time, I would have no hesitation in playing him.”

Despite Tindall’s previous comments, he now looks set to part ways with the Englishman.

Cardiff have been in the market for defensive options this month. Simpson is a versatile defender and has been deployed in his most familiar centre-back role under Tindall, either in a back-four or back-five.

He’s proved a useful player – he’s a homegrown name and one who’s still relatively young at 24-years-old, and so his sale might come as a surprise.

But his contract at the club is out in the summer. Tindall seemingly has no plans for Simpson going forward after the first-half of this season and now a cut-price deal has been accepted.

Cardiff are acquiring a strong player in Simpson and someone who Neil Harris will hope can propel them up the Championship table – they currently sit in 15th-place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: £500,000 bid accepted, but I wonder what went wrong?

Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:05 am

Maybe the new young players have been promised a forward thinking manager and thats the ttraction. COuld yet see a change. Eddie Howe or Bellamy? :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:10 am

He will always get my support but hasn't played a lot of football ?

Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:40 am

brettski wrote:Maybe the new young players have been promised a forward thinking manager and thats the ttraction. COuld yet see a change. Eddie Howe or Bellamy? :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

The attraction would be a very good chance of playing week in week out at a big championship club earning good money instead of sitting in the stands at Bournemouth

Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:56 pm

Looking to trim their budget in case they don’t make it back to the Premier League?

Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:09 pm

He’s cheap but not sure I’m convinced by this signing. 35 games in all competitions for Bournemouth since 2015. He’s also 24 so you’d imagine he’s reached his maximum potential. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt though and wish him good luck :ayatollah:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:58 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:He’s cheap but not sure I’m convinced by this signing. 35 games in all competitions for Bournemouth since 2015. He’s also 24 so you’d imagine he’s reached his maximum potential. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt though and wish him good luck :ayatollah:

In fairness he’d have had been competing against Nathan Ake for the vast majority of that time. Nice to see is showing a bit of ambition in the current climate :bluescarf:.

Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:16 pm

derynglas wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:He’s cheap but not sure I’m convinced by this signing. 35 games in all competitions for Bournemouth since 2015. He’s also 24 so you’d imagine he’s reached his maximum potential. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt though and wish him good luck :ayatollah:

In fairness he’d have had been competing against Nathan Ake for the vast majority of that time. Nice to see is showing a bit of ambition in the current climate :bluescarf:.

True, but even this season he’s only made 9 appearances in the league, 3 of those being off the bench. As I said I wish him well but I get the impression he’s a squad filler rather than a starter.

Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:22 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:
derynglas wrote:

True, but even this season he’s only made 9 appearances in the league, 3 of those being off the bench. As I said I wish him well but I get the impression he’s a squad filler rather than a starter.

I think a good thing to do when we sign a player is look to see what the fans of his previous club think and AFCB fans tend to rate him.

Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:37 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
derynglas wrote:

I think a good thing to do when we sign a player is look to see what the fans of his previous club think and AFCB fans tend to rate him.

That’s a fair assessment and good to hear he’s rated well by Bournemouth fans. They definitely know more about him than my few minutes of googling :lol:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:46 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
derynglas wrote:

That’s a fair assessment and good to hear he’s rated well by Bournemouth fans. They definitely know more about him than my few minutes of googling :lol:

:P Yeh they weren’t exactly screaming that he shouldn’t be let go, more like saying ‘he’ll do well there, excellent prospect, hope this doesn’t come back to haunt us’ etc.

Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:47 pm

Problem is we ain't got a manager who will either play him in his right position or get the best out of him .then his head will drop like the rest of them.

Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:08 pm

So does this mean we’re not now looking at the french defender from Villa?

Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:16 pm

Danny Says wrote:So does this mean we’re not now looking at the french defender from Villa?
i

I would imagine that it was either Ng or the Villa defender. You have to suspect our interest in the Villa man was designed to concentrate the minds at Crewe as obviously they are we're going to lose Ng at the end of the season.

As regards the Bournmouth lad According to a Bournemouth site he almost went to Glasgow Rangers a couple of seasons ago and only didn't as Ake for injured and they think Rangers might still be interested. Also they are wondering if Celtic might be interested if they make Eddie Howe their manager as is rumoured. Hopefully we can get the deal done quickly.

Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:15 pm

I don't know how reliable this source is

Exclusive: Simpson move to Cardiff City collapses after U-turn

18th January 2021 at 12:04pm

By Wayne Veysey

Football insider

Jack Simpson’s move to Cardiff City has collapsed as the player has had second thoughts and changed his mind, Football Insider can reveal.

This site revealed earlier today Cardiff and Bournemouth had agreed a £500,000 fee rising to £750,000 for the centre-back.

A recruitment source has told Football Insider the medical was lined up but the U-turn means it is now off the table.

The 24-year-old is out of contract in the summer and the Cherries were hoping to cash in this month rather than lose him for free.

A graduate of Bournemouth’s academy, he has spent his entire career at Dean Court, apart from a loan spell at AFC Totton.

Despite his long association with the south coast outfit, he has played just 35 times for the club as he struggled to break into the team while they were in the Premier League.

This season he has played 12 games across all competitions, including starting six of their last seven league games.

The Championship high-fliers have one of the best defensive records in the league, having conceded 20 goals in their 24 games.

Cardiff on the other hand are in dire need of defensive reinforcements as they have not kept a clean sheet since the beginning of last month.

They are set to add highly-rated Crewe Alexandra right-back Perry Ng after Alex boss David Artell confirmed the two clubs had agreed a deal.

This site first revealed the Welsh club’s interest in the 25-year-old who is also out of contract in the summer.

Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:37 pm

Bournemouth boss Jason Tindall has asked Jack Simpson to reconsider and sign for Cardiff City :thumbright:

Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:08 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Bournemouth boss Jason Tindall has asked Jack Simpson to reconsider and sign for Cardiff City :thumbright:

Tidy :D

Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:07 pm

Was reading Bournemouth fans comments on Twitter about Simpson. Apparently 6th choice CB and does make mistakes when he plays. Not too disappointed about him not coming here tbh.

Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:07 pm

Ray Bishop wrote:Was reading Bournemouth fans comments on Twitter about Simpson. Apparently 6th choice CB and does make mistakes when he plays. Not too disappointed about him not coming here tbh.

well he cant be 6th choice because he has been playing...