Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ Mark Hughes ‘

Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:26 pm

Mark Hughes:

BBC

"I've had enough rest now - I'm ready to go."

Mark Hughes is ready for a return to management. He's confident the opportunities will come.

Re: ‘ Mark Hughes ‘

Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:07 pm

Annis he was spotted today in MacDonalds next to the stadium getting a take away :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5:

Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:20 pm

I think he will be our next manager

Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:26 pm

What makes you think that Thomas?

Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:28 pm

Just finished reading Joey Barton’s book. Not at all complimentary on Hughes.
You can’t go on what just Barton says, but judging by his recent managerial record, I don’t want him here.

Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:25 pm

Ray Bishop wrote:Just finished reading Joey Barton’s book. Not at all complimentary on Hughes.
You can’t go on what just Barton says, but judging by his recent managerial record, I don’t want him here.

Never been relegated from the Premier League, yet relegated Swansea when with Southampton! World class player who played for Manure, Bayern Munich,Barcelona and Chelsea, Premier League Manager with Manchester City,Stoke, Blackburn etc and Wales! Barton average player, worst manager sacked by Fleetwood and I’m sure Sparky didn’t take any shit from him and soon got rid!
Yet Hughes not good enough for us, like Toshack! you’re having a laugh! Truth is we couldn’t afford him, and we certainly don’t want a prick like Barton!

Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:05 pm

kimble wrote:What makes you think that Thomas?

He just fits everything the club would look for and is available free.
Man utd connections which Dalman loves .
His Welsh connection will be a positive for fans
He has a good record at a high level and is of an age where He will be on the same mindset as a Warnock, Tan seems to trust the older managers.
Good record on a budget
Loads of experience
Loads of contacts
The fact he has out of nowhere he is looking to get back into football with his interviews would suggest he's been spoken to by someone , not many jobs available that would interest him at the moment.
He wouldn't want a fortune to spend as he's used to working on budgets

I would assume he would definitely be in the running if the job became available .

Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:12 pm

Who do you want if he goes??

Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:19 pm

blue lagoon wrote:Who do you want if he goes??

Who does who want, if who goes, Riddler? :?

Mark Hughes is the topic but he's not here to go anywhere! ;)

Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:38 pm

Let's take Hughes as he's managed in the top flight. Harris hasn't and will never do

Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:01 pm

I wouldn’t mind Sparky here tbh and Bellers as his number two with Sol as a coach in some capacity

Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:26 pm

Not for me. The ONLY thing he’s got is that he’s been a premier league manager throughout his career which might be seen as a coup. Yes he was a decent player but that means nothing. He’s Welsh but a large part of England is much closer to us than where he’s from.

For people saying ‘he does well on a budget’, I’d seriously question your memory/knowledge. Hughes has spent wads and not delivered. He did well for Wales and Blackburn BUT that’s it. He’s been, at best, average elsewhere. It doesn’t take too much to come to the conclusion that the game is passing him by. Much like Pulis I’d argue, although I’d prefer the latter

Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:00 pm

Time will tell.

Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:11 pm

Dazzy wrote:Not for me. The ONLY thing he’s got is that he’s been a premier league manager throughout his career which might be seen as a coup. Yes he was a decent player but that means nothing. He’s Welsh but a large part of England is much closer to us than where he’s from.

For people saying ‘he does well on a budget’, I’d seriously question your memory/knowledge. Hughes has spent wads and not delivered. He did well for Wales and Blackburn BUT that’s it. He’s been, at best, average elsewhere. It doesn’t take too much to come to the conclusion that the game is passing him by. Much like Pulis I’d argue, although I’d prefer the latter

agree. .bit puzzled by the on a budget remark myself..

Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:38 am

skidemin wrote:
Dazzy wrote:Not for me. The ONLY thing he’s got is that he’s been a premier league manager throughout his career which might be seen as a coup. Yes he was a decent player but that means nothing. He’s Welsh but a large part of England is much closer to us than where he’s from.

Not sure why just look at his record of signings at Blackburn , Fulham , QPR and Southampton

Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:57 pm

thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Not sure why just look at his record of signings at Blackburn , Fulham , QPR and Southampton

£10 million combined for bellamy and savage alone at Blackburn mate.... 15 years ago when fees were not comparable to todays... Southampton ? ..was the year we were in the prem and purely on transfer fees was double what we spent.... and was backed at all the clubs in between..
never managed at this level.. and maybe you could say he has managed at a budget but it was a budget for thise clubs.... selling 3 players for 20 mill ..and having 7 gaps to fill for less than the 20 mill was certainly never in his remit....

Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:54 pm

skidemin wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:

£10 million combined for bellamy and savage alone at Blackburn mate.... 15 years ago when fees were not comparable to todays... Southampton ? ..was the year we were in the prem and purely on transfer fees was double what we spent.... and was backed at all the clubs in between..
never managed at this level.. and maybe you could say he has managed at a budget but it was a budget for thise clubs.... selling 3 players for 20 mill ..and having 7 gaps to fill for less than the 20 mill was certainly never in his remit....

But thats the same for every club and signing . You pick out two signings after he was already successful but ignore the great cheaper signings he made to make them successful in the first place to be able to afford the better players. A quick look shows players like Samba , Bentley, Santa Cruz and Bennington Mccarthy all for relative pennies. Signings that got them to Europe and allowed them to sign the bigger names.

Budgets are relative to what club you are at. His budget at Southampton was miniscule compared to what he had at Man City so when I say within a budget I dont mean no money. I mean he can adjust to different types of budgets well

Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:14 pm

thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
skidemin wrote:

But thats the same for every club and signing . You pick out two signings after he was already successful but ignore the great cheaper signings he made to make them successful in the first place to be able to afford the better players. A quick look shows players like Samba , Bentley, Santa Cruz and Bennington Mccarthy all for relative pennies. Signings that got them to Europe and allowed them to sign the bigger names.

Budgets are relative to what club you are at. His budget at Southampton was miniscule compared to what he had at Man City so when I say within a budget I dont mean no money. I mean he can adjust to different types of budgets well

the 2 i picked were there the year they finished 6th and qualified for europe..Blackburn at the time were a club who saw themselves as under achieving .. and yes almost everyones budget is small compared to man city..i think he has done ok at most places... its the budget thing.. every job he has had has been a million miles off a budget that includes simpson..ng and watters....

Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:29 pm

Great player but not a great manager. Inherited a very talented and balanced Welsh side-Giggs, Bellamy, Hartson, Speed etc- and should have done better. Might have been ok when Warnock went but probably out the game for too long now.