Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

CARDIFF DEALT ANOTHER BLOW AS ANOTHER PLAYER SAYS NO

Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:13 pm

Cardiff City hit with another blow as Premier League player makes transfer decision

Cardiff City have been dealt yet another blow in their efforts to bolster their options in defence as Frederic Guilbert has turned down a move to Wales, per Football Insider.

But the 26-year-old has now pulled out of what was seemingly a deal that was close to being agreed in what is the second transfer coup that the Bluebirds have failed in today, with both players deciding not to join the Bluebirds.

Jack Simpson’s move to Cardiff City has collapsed as the player has had second thoughts and changed his mind, Football Insider can reveal.
Link
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=219809 :cry:

Plus 2 days ago (a 3rd player)
Wolves reject Cardiff's request to take Dion Sanderson on loan with defender set to stay at Sunderland as Bluebirds turn attention to Crewe's Perry Ng.

By Ben Wignall

18/01/2021

Cardiff City have been dealt yet another blow in their efforts to bolster their options in defence as Frederic Guilbert has turned down a move to Wales, per Football Insider.

Neil Harris has been looking for multiple players to come in at right-back due to an injury suffered in October by Arsenal loanee Jordi Osei-Tutu – one that he’s already had a setback from after recovering.

Guilbert seemed to be the number-one target, with the same source revealing that Cardiff were in advanced talks to bring the Frenchman to the Welsh capital on a loan deal from Aston Villa.

He would have brought Premier League experience to a struggling Cardiff side, having played 25 times for Villa last season but had fallen down the pecking order at the Midlands club behind Matty Cash and Ahmed Elmohamady.

But the 26-year-old has now pulled out of what was seemingly a deal that was close to being agreed in what is the second transfer coup that the Bluebirds have failed in today.

It comes after AFC Bournemouth centre-back Jack Simpson also backed out of a move to Cardiff following the two clubs agreeing a fee – the 24-year-old had ‘second thoughts’ on the transfer and made a u-turn.

Even though there is a little bit of good news for Cardiff fans today with Crewe right-back Perry Ng heading to Wales for a medical, but the additions of Simpson and Guilbert would’ve brought experience in from the Premier League and the level they’re currently at – but it’s not to be.

The Verdict

Even though Ng is Cardiff-bound, Guilbert would have been a welcome addition to Neil Harris’ squad as unlike the Crewe defender, he has experienced top-level football in multiple countries.

Ng may turn out to be a brilliant addition but Cardiff supporters will no doubt be disappointed at losing out on not only Jack Simpson but now Guilbert, who now could even join a league rival of Cardiff’s as he won’t get any game-time at Villa this season.

The reasons for the u-turn remain to be seen but it will be interesting to see if Harris now opts to go for a second right-back signing with the Ng deal almost done – with Leandro Bacuna not impressing there and Osei-Tutu struggling with injuries it’s most definitely a position that needs more depth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: CARDIFF DEALT ANOTHER BLOW AS ANOTHER PLAYER SAYS NO

Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:15 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=219809 :cry:

Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:20 pm

Harris seems to be having difficulty "selling the dream" at the moment.

To players in the top two divisions at least.

Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:51 pm

To be honest, I'm not too bothered about this one.

These things happen all the time, but just aren't made public. I'm sure he's not our only centre back target.

I don't believe we would have signed to right backs and would suggest the truth is we dropped our interest in a loan for Guilbert, when it was clear we would get a permanent deal done with Ng.

It looks certain that Perry Ng will sign in the next 28 hours and we've already signed Max Watters.

Plenty of time in the window to further strengthen.

For all my criticisms of Harris and the transfer committee, we have made a couple of good signings so far.

Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:57 pm

Cardiff City reject the stories that players are changing their minds.

They say Frederic Guilbert has moved on and for other reasons.

Wolves player Dion Sanderson is happy on loan at League 1 club Sunderland.

Bournemouth boss Jason Tindall has asked Jack Simpson to reconsider and sign for Cardiff City and has told him to think it over again tonight. :thumbright:

Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:13 pm

I think this is just a strange window and its going to be hard to get anyone really unless they are making a big step up in leagues.

Other than football they have all the issues regarding lockdowns and uprooting families with schools and housing . Its hard enough at any time but at the moment must be a nightmare to relocate.

Maybe a lot of players will just prefer to see the season out and hope all will be back no normal next season

Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:20 pm

thomasblue wrote:I think this is just a strange window and its going to be hard to get anyone really unless they are making a big step up in leagues.

Other than football they have all the issues regarding lockdowns and uprooting families with schools and housing . Its hard enough at any time but at the moment must be a nightmare to relocate.

Maybe a lot of players will just prefer to see the season out and hope all will be back no normal next season

Sounds the best scenario for what appears to be happening :thumbup:

Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:24 pm

Perhaps in their mind Cardiff would be a downgrade for both players. One is currently in the squad for high flying, European chasing Villa. The other has had 6 90min performances in the last 7 games despite only 29 previous appearances in 5 years.
Simpson probably reckons he's got a chance of pushing into the first team if he's lucky and Guilbert has a, presumably, much better paying job at a much higher club.

We move on though, Ng and Watters sound good signings. Hopefully there's more on the way :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:33 pm

Funny other clubs are signing players and players are moving to
other clubs , Covid is not just in Wales

Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:51 pm

Why would you board a sinking ship.

Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:10 pm

Always City wrote:Funny other clubs are signing players and players are moving to
other clubs , Covid is not just in Wales

It's just another reason why players turned us down same as other clubs have been turned down or are we the only club that players or clubs have turned down? Besides make a change from it being our clubs fault for anything... :thumbup:

Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:59 pm

It's becoming abundantly clear to me that players do not want to come to us because of our boring, dour reputation. Sky national coverage does us no favours apart from the money.

Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:16 pm

BC-CB wrote:It's becoming abundantly clear to me that players do not want to come to us because of our boring, dour reputation. Sky national coverage does us no favours apart from the money.

Is playing 900 passes inside own half exciting or boring? Because that's how fair few teams play! I remember the Fulham game here I went inside to bar for drink and watch game as their possession game so boring to watch..

Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:00 pm

Apart from a reluctance to move during Covid uncertainty, i would think the biggest factor is that everyone knows that you are being signed by a manager who is quite likely to be sacked within weeks. The only reason he is still here is because we have no natural caretaker manager due to Bamba's unfortunate circumstances.

Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:00 pm

What a difference a few months make. After our playoff run last year we managed to bring in some really good players, the likes of Wilson and Moore coming who had a lot of clubs after them. Now after a bad start to the season and playing terrible football no one wants to come. Unfortunately it’s the price you pay for failure

Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:33 pm

NEIL HARRIS:

Jack Simpson…

He is a Bournemouth player. I am not going to talk too much about someone else’s player.

We have made an enquiry but I will leave it at that, no need to discuss any further.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:33 pm

We don’t need him, Ceiron Brown scored against Celtic tonight, bring him home!