Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Sheyi Ojo '

Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:26 pm

Report: Loaned-out winger with ‘unbelievable ability’ will consider Liverpool future

The report has added that the Reds are ‘impressed’ with the progress that Ojo is making at Cardiff, but the former Rangers loanee will ‘weigh up his options’ in the summer of 2021 upon his return to Liverpool.

By Mark Runnacles

Monday 18th January 2020

According to AllNigeriaSoccer, Sheyi Ojo will consider his future at Liverpool in the summer of 2021.

The 23-year-old winger is on loan at Championship club Cardiff City from defending Premier League champions Liverpool at the moment.

The youngster joined the Bluebirds on loan in the summer of 2020 until the end of the 2020-21 season.

AllNigeriaSoccer has reported that Liverpool do not plan to cut short Ojo’s loan spell at Cardiff and will let him carry on at the Cardiff City Stadium.

The report has added that the Reds are ‘impressed’ with the progress that Ojo is making at Cardiff, but the former Rangers loanee will ‘weigh up his options’ in the summer of 2021 upon his return to Liverpool.

Ojo is 23 years of age now and has made only a handful of appearances for the Liverpool first team so far in his career.

The former England Under-21 international has been out on loan at a number of clubs in recent years, such as Wolverhampton Wanderers and Rangers.

It is hard to see Ojo establish himself in the first team at Liverpool following his loan spell at Cardiff, and it would make sense for him to leave Anfield on a permanent basis.

Described by Cardiff manager Neil Harris as a player who has got “unbelievable ability” on the club’s official website in October 2020, Ojo has scored three goals and provided five assists in 23 Championship matches for the Bluebirds so far this season, according to WhoScored.

Re: ' Sheyi Ojo '

Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:36 pm

He has been ok for us but "unbelievable ability" is having a laugh. No way will he play for Liverpool if he plays in the premier it will be with some West Brom type club more likely he will end up as a good if a little inconsistent championship player. In truth he has been a bit overhyped.

Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:40 pm

Agree mate but Harris considers unbelievable ability as someone that moves forwards with the ball at his feet.

Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:43 pm

I think he has all the ability to be a top player but his work rate and attitude always seem to be lacking . To be a Premier league winger you need consistency and Ojo seems to be one good game in five player.

He will have a very good career bouncing around cbampionship level but would be warming the bench at best in the premier league

Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:59 pm

His lack of pace and thus his ability to outpace defenders as well as his indecision and lack of a consistently quality final ball are major defects in his game.

Unlikely to be a PL regular for one of the major clubs.

Tries hard, puts in the graft and defends well though.

Just shows IMO how much we’ve missed NML.

Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:08 pm

Danny Says wrote:His lack of pace and thus his ability to outpace defenders as well as his indecision and lack of a consistently quality final ball are major defects in his game.

Unlikely to be a PL regular for one of the major clubs.

Tries hard, puts in the graft and defends well though.

Just shows IMO how much we’ve missed NML.

I agree but Pace isn't the be all and end all of premier league wingers/attackers . In fact many of the best attacking players dont have blistering pace they get away with being clever and having talent with the ball.

Beckham was a perfect example, he couldn't run but could put a ball wherever he wanted
Messi is not very quick but is unbelievable with the ball at his feet.
Hoilett has never really had pace but has managed to play top level his whole career

Loads of examples . Talent can outstrip pace but you need something special to stand out. Not sure Ojo has that at the moment.

Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:21 pm

This "unbelievable ability" Neil does talk hyperbole.

Half a season in and i still don't know where his best position is and at what level that is. He reminds me of Jay Emmanuel Thomas, loads of skill but little end product.

I think he'll end up a "10" in league 1.

Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:38 pm

i think except for the first month ojo has been poor, one thing we have missed this year is a good winger , with mdl going, hoilett looking like he wants to leave when he plays and dont get me going on murphy , i thought ojo may have stood up to the plate but he hasnt , if he is on big wages i would send him back

Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:03 pm

Have we become so used to mediocrity that we think this guy is anything more than average? God help us.

Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:28 am

Needs to show this unbelievable ability. Doesn't do enough for me to even consider him as a winger.

Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:43 am

JJ1927 wrote:Have we become so used to mediocrity that we think this guy is anything more than average? God help us.

My thoughts exactly, he’s an ok winger. Showed flashes at Ibrox but never first choice. Ok for mid championship level but not a good enough player to gain promotion .

Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:07 pm

:thumbup:
Blueberry Jam wrote:Needs to show this unbelievable ability. Doesn't do enough for me to even consider him as a winger.
I haven't seen him hit the byline once since he has been at the club, if we had a winger that does Moore would be on 20 goals now

Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:06 pm

JJ1927 wrote:Have we become so used to mediocrity that we think this guy is anything more than average? God help us.

seems so....