Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Well Done VT

Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:25 pm

I think that he (and maybe the Board?) have handled this very well. And I give him credit for the timing.

Some on here clamouring for Harris’ head as soon ashe lost a couple of matches.
As I said in the “sadly but” thread, now is just about the right time. He was a bit unlucky with injuries - losing the spine of the team until last night.

But he was allowed enough chance to turn things around. Now they can appoint a new boss before we play again.
The comments on NHs departure were also sensible in recognising his effprts last year.
Well done Vincent Tan - a sensible decision at the right time. :thumbup:
Whoever the new guy is lets get behind him and the team :bluebird:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=220045

Re: Well Done VT

Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:28 pm

The last thing they deserve is credit.

You criticise some fans, like myself, for calling for Harris to go a while ago - which we did.

But we have been proven right, because things haven't improved since then.

I said at the time that we may well have got a couple of wins, which we did, but very soon we would start losing games again, which we did. I said the pressure would then be heaped on Harris again, which it has been. Now the right decision has finally been made.

It was obvious to almost everyone that Harris had to go and this decision has taken too long.

So no, the board and Tan don't deserve any praise.

Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:42 pm

Lengee wrote:I think that he (and maybe the Board?) have handled this very well. And I give him credit for the timing.

As I said in the “sadly but” thread, now is just about the right time. He was a bit unlucky with injuries - losing the spine of the team until last night.

But he was allowed enough chance to turn things around. Now they can appoint a new boss before we play again.
The comments on NHs departure were also sensible in recognising his effprts last year.

its our last year of parachute payments with a decent squad that is good enough to have made the play offs....

its the correct decision but probably 12 games too late to give whoever comes in a fighting chance...
it wasnt just last night, or losing to norwich and brentford.... it was these games had become far more important because he totally screwed up early doors against poor opponents....what was going through peoples minds backing him during those lack lustre no shape performances beats me....

Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:47 pm

In my opinion, if we kept Harris we would win some if the next few games and we would finish safe in midtable. But he was not up to moving the team forward.
He had bad luck with injuries. But he has lacked imagination in reacting to them and reverted to the same static midfield and Bacuna at right baxk when it clearly wasnt working. Then he failed to put pace and width into the game v QPR and left Murphy languishing on the bench till 85 mins!
VT sacked him at the right time and in the right way. VT deserves credit.
(Pity we havent all got your Mystic Meg brilliance :shock: :lol: :thumbup:

Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:55 pm

Lengee wrote:In my opinion, if we kept Harris we would win some if the next few games and we would finish safe in midtable. But he was not up to moving the team forward.
He had bad luck with injuries. But he has lacked imagination in reacting to them and reverted to the same static midfield and Bacuna at right baxk when it clearly wasnt working. Then he failed to put pace and width into the game v QPR and left Murphy languishing on the bench till 85 mins!

mystic meg is not watching us play poor teams lose and not have a clue.....but maybe predicting a few future wins is ? as is finishing safe and mid table...
google the word .. contradiction.....

Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:59 pm

Lengee wrote:I think that he (and maybe the Board?) have handled this very well. And I give him credit for the timing.

Absolute waffle

Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:07 pm

Well done

Your having a laugh :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=220045

Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:14 pm

Lengee wrote:In my opinion, if we kept Harris we would win some if the next few games and we would finish safe in midtable. But he was not up to moving the team forward.

No idea how you can say that he was sacked at the right time. It's a fact that he wasn't sacked at the right time - the delay has cost us points.

You can make as many Mystic Meg jokes as you want, but it is statistically a fact that those of us who called for him to be sacked a long time ago were right.

You mention injuries, and I would respond by saying every manager has had problems with injuries to key players - especially this season. In fact, we have been extremely fortunate that there has been minimal impact from COVID-19 for us compared to other clubs.

You say that you believe we would have won some of the next few games with Harris in charge. I don't know how you have come to that conclusion. We haven't won since 16th December and we haven't kept a clean sheet since 5th December.

During the time since our last win, we have played Birmingham, QPR, Wycombe, Forest - we didn't even draw with any of those teams, we lost against them all.

This was the right decision by Tan but it certainly isn't at the right time. It's a decision that should have been made a long time ago and, as I have said, the delay will have cost us progression and points.

Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:16 pm

skidemin wrote:

mystic meg is not watching us play poor teams lose and not have a clue.....but maybe predicting a few future wins is ? as is finishing safe and mid table...

Sorry. The Mystic Meg comment was aimed at Worcester not you. Anyway when I gave some credit to Tan on here, I knew it would get this sort of response. But I stand by every word.
Now lets try to move on with a manager who can get the best out of the players at his disposal and get rid of some dead wood. The wages ((seperate thread by Troobloo)), are staggering especially when you look at their skill/ effortput in by some of them! :bluebird:

Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:41 pm

Lengee wrote:
skidemin wrote:

Sorry. The Mystic Meg comment was aimed at Worcester not you. Anyway when I gave some credit to Tan on here, I knew it would get this sort of response. But I stand by every word.
Now lets try to move on with a manager who can get the best out of the players at his disposal and get rid of some dead wood. The wages ((seperate thread by Troobloo)), are staggering especially when you look at their skill/ effortput in by some of them! :bluebird:

our iverall wage bill has been staggering for some years now but what individuals actually earn is unknown... those sites just guess...

Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:58 pm

My initial reaction to Mick Mc Carthys appointment was being underwhelmed. But I thought Id wait a day or 2 before commenting.
Now we know the facts and it is (hopefully) a safe pair of hands till the end of the season. (Wigan boss having turned it down?).
I know its not a oopular view but, on balance its another case of well done VT.

I hope we dont sell Murphy now as I think Mc Carthy could get some performances out of him. He was an. Underused asset under Harris.
:bluebird: :bluebird:

Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:13 pm

Lengee wrote:My initial reaction to Mick Mc Carthys appointment was being underwhelmed. But I thought Id wait a day or 2 before commenting.
Now we know the facts and it is (hopefully) a safe pair of hands till the end of the season. (Wigan boss having turned it down?).

I hope we dont sell Murphy now as I think Mc Carthy could get some performances out of him. He was an. Underused asset under Harris.

Dalman got Big Mick the job, Tan wanted to stay with Harris

Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:25 pm

Mystic Meg never got it right either and was eventually sacked too. :lol:

Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:45 am

Hindsight is 20/20. There were loads of people criticising Harris's appointment when he first signed. He very nearly got us promoted. Yes people who asked for his head have been proven right this season, but last season were only a good shot away from being proven wrong.

I do think he should have gone a bit sooner, but not as soon as some people were hoping for. Think start of January would have been better so the new manager would have more of a say in who was brought in, as well as more time to do it. Either way I'd rather have a board with patience than a knee jerk reaction.

Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:09 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:During the time since our last win, we have played Birmingham, QPR, Wycombe, Forest - we didn't even draw with any of those teams, we lost against them all.

Ned the Birmingham game was our only win in the last 9.

I struggle to give Tan any credit and on this occasion I can't see one slight reason why he should get any credit. I wanted Harris to do well here but after his success last season it went horrible wrong for him. The start of the season was dreadful and for me Tan should have acted then. It's Tans stubborness that kept Harris here.

My fear now is I don't think sacking Harris will make any difference. I'm more inclined to point the main finger at some of the players. With a new manager like McCarthy I'm hoping to see some action in this department.

Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:53 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:During the time since our last win, we have played Birmingham, QPR, Wycombe, Forest - we didn't even draw with any of those teams, we lost against them all.

Ned the Birmingham game was our only win in the last 9.

I struggle to give Tan any credit and on this occasion I can't see one slight reason why he should get any credit. I wanted Harris to do well here but after his success last season it went horrible wrong for him. The start of the season was dreadful and for me Tan should have acted then. It's Tans stubborness that kept Harris here.

My fear now is I don't think sacking Harris will make any difference. I'm more inclined to point the main finger at some of the players. With a new manager like McCarthy I'm hoping to see some action in this department.

Said it a few times myself,the players also need to look long and hard in the mirror,and admit they have been poor,as poor as harris,in some cases.time to step up,and be counted,as Mick will take no prisoners! Good thing is,he hasnt sny "favourites " as of yet,a good thing imho.

Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:27 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Lengee wrote:My initial reaction to Mick Mc Carthys appointment was being underwhelmed. But I thought Id wait a day or 2 before commenting.

But, if that is right, it shows that Tan listened!! It doesn’t cost anything to give our Chairman some credit once in a while! Diwedd y gan i’w ceiniog / he who pays the piper calls the tune. It was Tan’s call.
I think he got the timing about right and its a sensible appointment. An experienced manager given 6 months to show hes still got ability to manage. If he has then he gets a deserved extension. No doubt, if things go badly Mystic Meg will appear to say “I told you.”
But If things dont go well then we dont have to pay out big bucks.
I have looked on the Sunderland and Wolves fanssites and they really rated him. The more time goes by the more realistic and optimistic I feel. Having supported City for 50 years plus I think that Tan, despite his failings and mistakes, is the best Chairman we have had in that time. (On a seperate point he also gives a good amount of his wealth to Charitable causes including some local ones to Cardiff).
So all in all, I don’t think he deserves some of the crap that gets thrown at him on here. Just my opinion :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:22 pm

Lengee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

But, if that is right, it shows that Tan listened!! It doesn’t cost anything to give our Chairman some credit once in a while! Diwedd y gan i’w ceiniog / he who pays the piper calls the tune. It was Tan’s call.
I think he got the timing about right and its a sensible appointment. An experienced manager given 6 months to show hes still got ability to manage. If he has then he gets a deserved extension. No doubt, if things go badly Mystic Meg will appear to say “I told you.”
I have looked on the Sunderland and Wolves fanssites and they really rated him. The more time goes by the more realistic and optimistic I feel. Having supported City for 50 years plus I think that Tan, despite his failings and mistakes, is the best Chairman we have had in that time. (On a seperate point he also gives a good amount of his wealth to Charitable causes including some local ones to Cardiff).
So all in all, I don’t think he deserves some of the crap that gets thrown at him on here. Just my opinion :bluebird: :bluebird:

I totally agree with you :thumbright:

Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:21 pm

Lengee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

he does get some undue crap.... but he acted too late to save the season....