Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Sol Bamba on McCarthy '

Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:19 pm

Talking like he knows

Cardiff defender Sol Bamba reflects on Neil Harris' sacking as Bluebirds boss and gives his backing to his potential successor Mick McCarthy, who is close to being appointed as the club's new manager.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... ppointment

Re: Bamba on McCarthy

Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:27 pm

Good comments from Sol Bamba :thumbright:

Re: ' Sol Bamba on McCarthy '

Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:10 pm

Mick McCarthy Will “Put A Smile On Faces” Says Cardiff City Hero

Posted on 22nd January 2021

Mick McCarthy has been backed to “put a smile back on faces” if he is appointed as Cardiff City’s new manager.

The upbeat assessment comes from Bluebirds defender Sol Bamba, himself a source of warmth, affection and humour for the club’s supporters in dark times – not least the player’s own recent cancer diagnosis.

McCarthy is expected to be confirmed as Cardiff’s new boss this weekend following the sacking of Neil Harris on Thursday.

The blunt-speaking Yorkshireman and former Republic of Ireland manager does not really enjoy a public perception as a mirth-maker and some of his former teams’ route one, stripped-back style has already meant some negative reaction from Cardiff fans to the prospect of him taking charge.

But Bamba said: “He’s proved at this level he can be very good. We need someone who can come in and put a smile back on our faces and give confidence.

“At the moment, you can see clearly that the whole team is low on confidence. He’s got experience and if he got the job then hopefully he can come in and change results.”

Speaking to Sky Sports News, Bamba added: “At this level, we all know that experience is massive. If it is Mick McCarthy, then he knows the league very well.”

Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:11 pm

Hopefully Bamba makes a full recovery and then gets to be a part of the staff. It's about time we groomed someone like Bamba for the job.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:58 pm

:bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:14 pm

Reading that I do wonder whether perhaps Bamba was lined up for the job until he became ill.

Is this a short-term appointment to, hopefully, allow Sol to recover and then take it on ?

I may be reading too much into this but the fact that Bamba is so keen and has already been speaking to McCarthy makes me think.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:23 pm

piledriver64 wrote:Reading that I do wonder whether perhaps Bamba was lined up for the job until he became ill.

Is this a short-term appointment to, hopefully, allow Sol to recover and then take it on ?

I may be reading too much into this but the fact that Bamba is so keen and has already been speaking to McCarthy makes me think.

Interesting thought.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:29 pm

I did wonder the same about bamba. Board thinking a short term appointment maybe was supposed to be bamba until end of season but of course sadly that’s not possible. I’m ok with mick for now as he may be an old school Yorkshireman who is accused of playing shit football but so was someone else as I remember it! Seriously though we should now be safe from relegation with a steady hand in charge and hopefully re evaluate possibly a younger more forward thinking manager in the summer.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:47 pm

warnocksbarmyarmy wrote:I did wonder the same about bamba. Board thinking a short term appointment maybe was supposed to be bamba until end of season but of course sadly that’s not possible. I’m ok with mick for now as he may be an old school Yorkshireman who is accused of playing shit football but so was someone else as I remember it! Seriously though we should now be safe from relegation with a steady hand in charge and hopefully re evaluate possibly a younger more forward thinking manager in the summer.

..... and move Mick upstairs as DOF :thumbright:

Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:03 am

Love to see Bamba manager us , more so than Bellamy