Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Are you impressed by the appointment of mick the prick?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:51 pm

1. Yes an improvement
47%
2. No it’s a step back.
21%
3. Unsure yet give him a chance.
33%

Total votes : 172

What’s the feeling on Mick? ' Poll '

Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:51 pm

So with this massively disappointing appointment to say the least. Anyone here happy about it?

Re: What’s the feeling on mick the prick? Poll

Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:00 pm

Option one.

His experience makes him a better option than Harris.

Was he everyone's first choice? No, but he needs our support now.

Some of our fans are showing themselves for what they are by calling him names before he's already got started. That pisses me off.

Re: What’s the feeling on mick? Poll

Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:13 pm

Bigmarkw wrote:So with this massively disappointing appointment to say the least. Anyone here happy about it?

whoever comes in its a gamble...but this is so much less a gamble than many of the others...

Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:20 pm

For the future NO

For this season an improvement

Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:20 pm

Forever Blue wrote:For the future NO

Agree

Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:21 pm

wez1927 wrote:

Agree

Yep

Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:21 pm

Absolutely agree with this Annis and my thoughts exactly.

;) :bluescarf:

Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:23 pm

100% agree with that assessment Annis :thumbright:

Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:27 pm

Not voted as i don't know how long it is for.

Wouldn't mind a caretaker role for the rest of season and move into the desperately needed DoF role.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:38 pm

Bigmarkw wrote:So with this massively disappointing appointment to say the least. Anyone here happy about it?

Would not have been my choice but massively disappointing is way to harsh. It's not as if he has been a bad manager in the past. He got both Millwall and Ipswich into the playoffs. Millwall actually finished third in the old second division never finished higher since. Got both Sunderland and Wolves promoted as champions and kept Wolves in the premier for two seasons. He was also a very good Ireland manager. Ipswich fans weren't to keen on him but he got them to the playoffs and the season after he left they were relegated and show no signs of getting back to the championship.

That is a sold record of mostly success. The question is is he past his sell by date if he isn't he may well do very well for us. It would not surprise me if we are at the very least challenging for the playoffs next season.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:39 pm

Initially somewhat underwhelmed, however I’ve warmed to the prospect in the short term. He’s a no nonsense guy, in the same mould as Warnock, which can only be a positive.

I think it’s probably important to remember, especially with everything going on in the world right now, that it’s probably almost impossible to budget for the coming years. Hopefully a little bit of stability should help somewhat :bluescarf:.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:56 pm

At the moment we're in trouble , 6 losses on the trot . Which ever way you dress it up , is terrible.
McCarthy with his experience, will hopefully stop the rot .
Still in the championship at the end of the season , thats the target.
Readdress the future then !

Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:59 pm

He’s a character and will tell it like it is.

Is he innovative or forward thinking? Not on your Nelly, but to get a job done this season, he’s probably the best available.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:00 pm

He's a character! Pre and post match press conferences should be entertaining. :bluescarf:

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:04 pm

Surprised at this to be honest.
Not my opinion but pleasantly surprised that a lot of the tan haters have approved this appointment. So maybe he can help heal the the club of these silly grudges and that to me is a win. Irrelevant of the football results.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:04 pm

How could he be worse?

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:05 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Option one.

Some of our fans are showing themselves for what they are by calling him names before he's already got started. That pisses me off.

Agree. Give him a chance. He will not stand for some of the recent performances without having a not so quiet word with some of the players.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:06 pm

moonboots wrote:He's a character! Pre and post match press conferences should be entertaining. :bluescarf:

Looking forward to them already. First game is Barnsley, his home town.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:07 pm

He will keep us up,can he get us back to being a top 6 team next season I really hope so.
Let's give him a go and support the guy as much as possible.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:10 pm

Has he signed, then? :?

Best keep the polls until he has, eh? :!:

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:19 pm

Sven wrote:Has he signed, then? :?

Best keep the polls until he has, eh? :!:

good point....never write off the gardeners is my moto..

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:29 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Option one.

Well said,I chose same option,looking at the poll so far, so do about 60% of voters.there are a few on here,no matter who was picked,would slag them off,as they do with potential signings!! And getting personal is beyond imho.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:30 pm

Safe pair hands , looking at the fixtures he has a good few games before he's really tested , nothing really daunting until Bournemouth and Boro on 24th and 27th Feb

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:44 pm

If he signs, I am massively underwhelmed, I am sick of these paycheque dinosaur managers going from club to club over four decades! Its no coincidence that their style of football, tactics and the recruitment of players to deliver it, are so predictable, rigid and dated. Yet this seems to fit with the so called "Cardiff Way" so it actually does not come as a surprise, particularly as it appears we have no football men at boardroom level, an owner who does not communicate with its fan base, gives money to a manager to spend and then sacks him before some of the players find out. I could go on, how NOT to run a business, and football is business.

If its until the end of the season, I will stomach it, purely for the hope a more experienced backroom can find us ending the season with some sort of credibility.

Most of all, I want rid of this "Cardiff way" once and for all, defending deep, passing sideways, long throws, reliant on set pieces, lack of flair and creativity, out passed, chasing shadows, slow centre backs, chasing the game when behind and leaving it to late to play some football when we are losing. All this under every manager since Dave Jones. I detest it. To rid the players who can't deliver it and bring in those who can, will take at least 3 windows, I feel Craig Bellamy and a more experienced football man of his choice looking down, is the team to do deliver that.

And I detest further the way the club is being run from youth upwards and the lack of communication and consideration to us the heartbeat of the football club. I want to be entertained and enthused when I pay what little money I have to follow our team home and away, its been the opposite of that for to long.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:50 pm

Results will improve but he isnt the longterm solution. As soon as results dip people will be calling for a new manager and a change in our style of play. Would love another warnock type miracle. But I can see him doing well this season, getting a 2 year contract and in the next 12-18months we will be back in the same situation we are now...and when warnock left.

Dissapointed with the clubs lack of ambition and forward thinking but if mick is here now ill get behind him.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:16 pm

I agree

Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:25 pm

The title is very disrespectful to Mick McCarthy, the one that says Mick the prick I mean, he’s our new manager so if he sees that, what’s he going to think :roll:

FAO Mick if you're reading this

Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:27 pm

Wish him all the luck in the world.

Mick if you're reading (I know he's havin a sneaky peak) can you make sure you have some sort of plan before each game. Make sure you can change your plan if it's not working. Dont just pick favourites. Play to win, dont be afraid to have a go - and that doesn't just mean shout CHARGE from the dug out.

Remember that Choo does the spreadsheets nothing else, Dalman wears the aftershave and likes the ladies, Tan wears the trousers (way too high than is healthy). Tomlin is the one who'll change the game for you.

If we ever get back in the stadium can you do the mick channon arm swing thing if we win at the end of each game.

ps dont forget to say it's a special club, youve wanted to come here and the fans are passionate (we like that sort of stuff)
It worked for Warnock you never know it may work again
Last edited by ReesWestonSuperMare on Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:27 pm

I’m very happy, give him a chance ffs

Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:39 pm

21 people think this is a step back, well we're relegated.
Mick McCarthy is a good manager and a nice fella give him a chance.