Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What will the result be of Barnsley v Cardiff City?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:00 pm

Barnsley win
16%
Cardiff City win
65%
Draw
18%

Total votes : 55

MATCH THREAD: " BARNSLEY v CARDIFF CITY " MATCH THREAD

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:00 pm

BARNSLEY v CARDIFF CITY
Wednesday 27th January, 7pm
SkyBet Championship
Oakwell

Mick McCarthy's first game as Cardiff City manager :bluebird:

Cardiff City: Smithies; Ng, Flint, Nelson, Bagan; Ralls, Vaulks, Bacuna; Ojo, Moore, Hoilett.

Subs: Phillips, Morrison, Sang, Pack, Wilson, Murphy, Harris, Davies, Glatzel.

New player Max Watters.

Picked up an Achilles injury in training.our bad luck with injuries continues.

MICK McCARTHY:

Team news :bluebird:

A couple have come back and trained. I’m trying to get to know all the squad… No we’re okay.

Cunningham has come back. Pack’s come back, he’d had a sore knee. Watters pulled out of training yesterday with a sore achilles, which is for me and for him after his big move. We’ll have to see how he is today.

McCarthy

TEAM NEWS: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sean Morrison is fit / Kieffer Moore is fit :bluebird: :bluebird:

Marlon Pack is back after suspension :bluebird:

Lee Tomlin is getting closer all the time, but mid February expected back.

Jordi Osei-Tutu is injured again, expected to return end of February. Was rushed back to early?

Lee Tomlin Out till Mid February.

Jordi Osei-Tutu Out Injured till end of February.

Sadly Sol Bamba is seriously ill.

Isaac Vassell is the long-term absentee.

Match to be played in front of no supporters, for information on how to watch the match on TV or to stream it - see below

How can I watch this match on TV?

This match is live on Cardiff City TV.

About Barnsley

Barnsley Football Club is a professional football club in Barnsley, South Yorkshire, England, which plays in the Championship, the second tier of English football. Nicknamed ’the Tykes’, they were founded in 1887 by Reverend Tiverton Preedy. The club's colours were originally blue, but were converted to red and white in 1904. Their home ground since 1888 has been Oakwell.

Barnsley won the FA Cup in 1912 and were runners-up in 1910. The club won the 2016 Football League Trophy, beating Oxford United 3–2 in the final, and the 2016 Football League play-offs, beating Millwall 3–1 in the final.

In 2017, a majority stake in the club was sold to a consortium involving Chien Lee of NewCity Capital, Grace Hung and Paul Conway of Pacific Media Group, Indian businessman Neerav Parekh and baseball legend Billy Beane.

Barnsley's rivals include Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Leeds United, Huddersfield Town, Rotherham United, Doncaster Rovers, Bradford City and Chesterfield.

Previous Meeting 

We beat Barnsley 3-0 in November

Team News - Predicted Line-Ups

Barnsley: Walton, Sollbauer, Andersen, Helik, Brittain, Mowatt, Palmer, Styles, Chaplin, Adeboyejo, Woodrow

Cardiff City: Smithies, Ng, Morrison, Nelson, Bennett, Bacuna, Vaulks, Ralls, Wilson, Watters, Moore

Form - Last Three Games

Barnsley - Norwich City (3pm, Saturday - FA Cup)
Watford 1-0 Barnsley
Barnsley 0-2 Swansea City

Cardiff City 0-1 QPR
Cardiff City 1-2 Norwich City
Nottingham Forest 1-0 Cardiff City

Match Odds

Barnsley - 31/20
Cardiff City - 15/8
Draw - 11/5

Predictions

Post your predictions below  :thumbright:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: LATEST NEWS " BARNSLEY v CARDIFF CITY " MATCH THREAD

Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:45 pm

Cardiff win 0-2
Big Mick’s first game in charge and he’s going to want to win this more than anything he’s experienced purely because of the situation at our club.

Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:25 am

TEAM NEWS: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sean Morrison is fit / Kieffer Moore is fit :bluebird: :bluebird:

Marlon Pack is back after suspension :bluebird:

Aden Flint is in light training.

Lee Tomlin is getting closer all the time, but mid February expected back.

Jordi Osei-Tutu is injured again, expected to return end of February. Was rushed back to early?

Lee Tomlin Out till Mid February.

Jordi Osei-Tutu Out Injured till end of February.

Sadly Sol Bamba is seriously ill.

Isaac Vassell is the long-term absentee.

Re: TEAM NEWS " BARNSLEY v CARDIFF CITY " MATCH THREAD

Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:34 am

Steady start 1-1

Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:40 am

Ponty Bluebird wrote:Cardiff win 0-2
Big Mick’s first game in charge and he’s going to want to win this more than anything he’s experienced purely because of the situation at our club.

And because it's Mick's Home town club :shock: :bluescarf:

Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:37 am

No idea about the score but I can say I’m genuinely excited for the game. That’s what happens when you get a new manager it’s excitement as we have no idea how we will play or even who will play. I think mick will do a good job. How good I’m not sure but I think we’ll stop the silly mistakes early in in games.

Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:40 am

powysblue wrote:
Ponty Bluebird wrote:Cardiff win 0-2

And because it's Mick's Home town club :shock: :bluescarf:

Yes fella I forgot to mention that, thank you :thumbright:

Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:36 pm

WELL WORTH READING:
MICK McCARTHY’S FIRST CCFC INTERVIEW:
Link
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=220014 :thumbright: :bluebird:

Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:38 pm

New manager bounce against his home town club so will go for a 2-1 City win.
He team selection will be interesting.

Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:25 pm

warnocksbarmyarmy wrote:No idea about the score but I can say I’m genuinely excited for the game. That’s what happens when you get a new manager it’s excitement as we have no idea how we will play or even who will play. I think mick will do a good job. How good I’m not sure but I think we’ll stop the silly mistakes early in in games.

really hope so re the early goals...fed up of conceding early and knowing the chances of winning are now remote ....
id take a draw tbh, just put this run of defeats at an end..

Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:29 pm

New manager. New result.

I'm going for a Bluebirds 2 clear goal victory

:bluescarf: :bluebird: :D

Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:50 pm

Have to say watching Barnsley this afternoon they look a very tidy side against Norwich. They press all over the pitch and have been excellent. I don't have any confidence we will beat them and at best it will be a draw. I just want to see us really compete and above all not lose the first goal. This was absolutely shocking under Harris.

Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:58 pm

City win :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:07 am

Bluebirds away win :bluebird:

Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:50 am

MICK McCARTHY:

Team news :bluebird:

A couple have come back and trained. I’m trying to get to know all the squad… No we’re okay.

Cunningham has come back. Pack’s come back, he’d had a sore knee. Watters pulled out of training yesterday with a sore achilles, which is for me and for him after his big move. We’ll have to see how he is today.

McCarthy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:40 pm

Actually excited for a match for the first time in a long while. Might even pay up a tenner to watch.

Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:12 pm

New player Max Watters.

Picked up an Achilles injury in training.our bad luck with injuries continues.

Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:19 pm

A tough game for Mick, i will go for a 2-2 :bluebird:

Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:22 pm

3-0 City :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:58 pm

With every passing day, Barnsley also get closer to the returns of a number of players who've been missing of late, with Carlton Morris and Liam Kitching in particular returning to contention this week, whilst Jordan Williams and Aapo Halme won't be too far away themselves either.

Ismaël will address the media tomorrow ahead of Wednesday night's game, alongside midfielder Romal Palmer who has started - and impressed in - the last two fixtures.

Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:51 am

0-1 city :bluescarf:

Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:26 am

Updated:

Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:05 am

What is the latest team news :bluebird:

McCarthy has been boosted by the returns of Greg Cunningham and Marlon Pack to first-team training, but admits he has fears over striker Max Watters.

"A couple have come back and trained," he said when quizzed on options ahead of the trip to Oakwell.

"I’m trying to get to know all the squad… No we’re OK.

"Cunningham has come back. Pack’s came back, he’d had a sore knee. Watters pulled out of training yesterday with a sore achilles, which is for me and for him after his big move.

"We’ll have to see how he is today."

Lee Tomlin and Jordi Osei-Tutu remain long-term absentees.

Barnsley, meanwhile, will be without defenders Ben Williams, Jordan Williams, Aapo Halme and Liam Kitching.

Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:06 am

What have the managers said

Mick McCarthy:

I don’t know (whether it means more to have Barnsley first game). Got Millwall next and then Bristol City was where TC (Terry Connor) was. You can’t get more affinity with any other clubs, but we’ll do our best.

"Barnsley’s my hometown and means a lot to me but I’m focused on winning this game.

"It is (a big game). But you look at the Championship. You never look at any game and think it’ll be easy. We’ll have to get through it with a real togetherness.

"I think I can get a reaction out of them. The reaction that matters is the one on the pitch on Wednesday."

Valerien Ismael:

“It will be a fight; it will be about the set-pieces and it will be about the second balls. It will be about the desire to win the duels and win the game, so we have to prepare the guys.

“It will be a completely different game than against Norwich but we have shown in the past that we can compete at this level, we are more adaptable and we will be ready for the fight.

“We are on the right way after Norwich. We created a lot of chances and found a way to work with the guys to put pressure on the box and to create more chances to score more goals.”

Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:08 am

What are the latest betting odds

Barnsley win - 7/5

Draw - 21/10

Cardiff win - 2/1

Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:12 am

Pundit's prediction

"While Barnsley have progressed to the fifth round of the FA Cup for the first time since the 2012/13 season and kept two clean sheets in the process, it's been quite the opposite in the Championship, where they've not scored in three games," says David Prutton to Sky Sports.

"Their fourth-round win did come against league leaders Norwich, though, so there's certainly something to build on.

"There's a new man at the helm at Cardiff! It's great to see Mick McCarthy back in the Championship for the first time since leaving Ipswich in 2018. He's got work to do to turn around the fortunes of a Bluebirds side on a run of six league defeats in seven, but I'm sure it's a task he'll relish. This feels like it could end all square."

Prutton predicts: Barnsley 2-2 Cardiff City

Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:45 am

I'll go 1-1

We won't lose

Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:41 pm

So Max Watters is injured??? Of course he is, after all he's played a game for us. Sick to death of getting crocks in, play a game or two, then out for 2 months. WTF do they do in training to pick up these injuries? :banghead:

Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:47 pm

It's 2 mid table mediocre teams and would usually expect a bore draw but the way we're letting in early goals 1-1.

Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:51 pm

Don Keydick wrote:So Max Watters is injured??? Of course he is, after all he's played a game for us. Sick to death of getting crocks in, play a game or two, then out for 2 months. WTF do they do in training to pick up these injuries? :banghead:

Agree .happens time after time with us.