Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: CONFIRMED: “ ALL DONE & DUSTED “

Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:42 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote::bluebird:

:thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:44 pm

Welcome to the mad house Mick!! Really happy with this appointment till the end of the season. Just the man to give the players a kick up the arse, with a no noncence approach. He will get us out of this slump and safety for this season. Let’s just see where we go from here, Harris had no fight at all. McCarthy had plenty.

Re: “ ALL DONE & DUSTED “

Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:58 pm

BlueView wrote:Roy Keane as his no2?

Unless I am mistaken - Mick's number2 is in the opening photo = Terry Connor .

Welcome Mick and Terry :bluebird:

Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:59 pm

Replies FB:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:59 pm

Replies FB:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:00 pm

TopCat CCFC wrote:

Obviously been in pipeline from start or even before that to have both ready for photo shoot today. :thumbup:

Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:06 pm

Bonner wrote:Welcome Mick.. always liked him as a manager.
Looking forward to seeing you get the best out of our players.

Any news on his assistant ?

McCarthy will be joined at the Championship club by his long-time assistant manager Terry Connor. “I'm delighted to be here,” Mick told Cardiff City TV.

To have acted this quickly they were probably waiting to know they could replace Harris and still have some of the window left.

pembroke allan wrote:
TopCat CCFC wrote:

Obviously been in pipeline from start or even before that to have both ready for photo shoot today. :thumbup:

;) :thumbup:

Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:07 pm

Don't think he was any of our 1st choice mangagers but none of that matters now. Hes in and he should get every supporters full support.

Anyone else slightly concerned that the club is only looking at 6 months deal.

Apparently other managers turned them down because it was only a short contract.

Seems very strange for a club in our position.

For me I think this clearly shows where we're heading as a club.

Why weren't the board seriously looking for other alternatives whilst Harris was still in charge.

Harris getting the sack has been on the cards for months.

For example Fulham we're apparently looking at Howe before Parker turned it around.

I just never see ambitious clubs in the championship putting temp managers in place. Its a total waste of time. They always head hunt the best person to take them forward. Then if it is halfway through a season, that manager has time to learn about the squad and prep for the season after.

Just speculation but could there be any connection with board room change in the summer when parachute payment ends :roll:

Or have they lined a different manager up in the summer so only a short term contract is required.

Or are they just that unsure and inept of their selections that they want to trial all their manager before given them longer contracts :banghead:

Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:09 pm

The massive difference between mick and Harris will be that while Harris was tactically inept mick is far from that, so result will be we wont lose games like last night And would probably win them

Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:09 pm

Cardiff City is pleased to confirm the appointment of Mick McCarthy as the Club's First Team Manager for the remainder of the 2020/21 season.

Mick will be joined in the Welsh capital by Assistant Manager Terry Connor, while James Rowberry and Andy Dibble will continue in their roles as First Team Coach and Goalkeeping Coach respectively.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:12 pm

Nickoblue23 wrote:Don't think he was any of our 1st choice mangagers but none of that matters now. Hes in and he should get every supporters full support.

Anyone else slightly concerned that the club is only looking at 6 months deal.

Apparently other managers turned them down because it was only a short contract.

Seems very strange for a club in our position.

For me I think this clearly shows where we're heading as a club.

Why weren't the board seriously looking for other alternatives whilst Harris was still in charge.

Harris getting the sack has been on the cards for months.

For example Fulham we're apparently looking at Howe before Parker turned it around.

I just never see ambitious clubs in the championship putting temp managers in place. Its a total waste of time. They always head hunt the best person to take them forward. Then if it is halfway through a season, that manager has time to learn about the squad and prep for the season after.

Just speculation but could there be any connection with board room change in the summer when parachute payment ends :roll:

Or have they lined a different manager up in the summer so only a short term contract is required.

Or are they just that unsure and inept of their selections that they want to trial all their manager before given them longer contracts :banghead:

Why not simply the club need time to sort out future plans January is not the best time to change manager at least club now as breathing space to look at other managers some who maybe in employment at present time?

Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:16 pm

Tan Sri Vincent Tan said of the appointment: “I’d like to personally welcome Mick and Terry to our Football Club and wish them the very best of luck.

“I’ve enjoyed the brief talk I’ve had with Mick and I’m confident that he’s the right man to take on the responsibility of improving our performances and fortunes.”

Mick has a wealth of managerial experience on the club and international stage.

Captain of the Republic of Ireland in his playing days, Mick has twice managed his national side, notably taking them to the knockout stage of the 2002 FIFA World Cup.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:19 pm

Welcome. He has my support too.

Looking forward to the press conferences.

Be nice to have a manager that isn't trying to be everyone's best mate. The players have enough ability. So it's over to them.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:26 pm

Horrendous appointment and another backward step taken by the board

Luckily it’s only until the end of the season

Good luck Mick your going to need it

Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:34 pm

[quote="oohahhPaulMillar"]Horrendous appointment and another backward step taken by the board

Luckily it’s only until the end of the season

Good luck Mick your going to need it[/quote

Horrendous? Guess you didn't want anyone to take job Because several mentioned candidates didn't want 6 months contract ask yourself why not? They're out of a job doing nothing hoping for another managers to be sacked yet they don't trust their own ability enough to get extension to contract! No thanks wouldn't want them here prefer experience man who knows his own ability. :thumbup:

Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:44 pm

thomasblue wrote:We needed a experianced manager to stabilise the team and we got one of the most successful ever in this league

Can't really complain about the appointment at all

Whether they have an eye on the future with a younger man we will find out in the summer with either a contract extension or Mick standing aside for someone else.

He still has a lot in him and at 61 he is younger than a lot of premier league managers.

In the PL only Hodgson, Bielsa and Allardyce are older than 61 but I don't think age is an issue. It's whether he's now still able to compete tactically with other managers in the Championship.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:15 pm

MoodyBluebird wrote:
thomasblue wrote:We needed a experianced manager to stabilise the team and we got one of the most successful ever in this league

Can't really complain about the appointment at all

Whether they have an eye on the future with a younger man we will find out in the summer with either a contract extension or Mick standing aside for someone else.

He still has a lot in him and at 61 he is younger than a lot of premier league managers.

In the PL only Hodgson, Bielsa and Allardyce are older than 61 but I don't think age is an issue. It's whether he's now still able to compete tactically with other managers in the Championship.

Carlo ancelotti , Steve Bruce , Sam Allardyce , Roy Hodgson and Marcelo Bielsa.

A Quarter of current Premier league managers

Jose mourinho and David Moyes are only 3/4 years younger

61 is not old for a manager

Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:39 pm

Only Steve Bruce (4) and Neil Warnock (3) have won more promotions to the Premier League as a manager than Mick McCarthy (2 - with Sunderland in 2004/05 and Wolves in 2008/09). Return.