Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff traffic m4 closed?

Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:25 pm

How is the traffic jams in cardiff tonight? See m4 is closed between cardiff gate and coryton as been since 3pm! Why oh why didnt labour do what supposed to have done and build a ring rd around city which would have included m4 relief rd? If did closing m4 anywhere between Cardiff Newport wouldn't be a problem....

Re: Cardiff traffic m4 closed?

Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:27 am

A van was involved in a serious Road Tragic Collision (M4 Westbound - Cardiff Gate to Coryton) and the driver is fighting for his life...

Some delicate operations by the emergency services and I noticed the traffic was still static around 17:30 - 18:00 hours as I passed over the Thornhill bridge

I hope he pulls though :ayatollah:

Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:45 am

Sven wrote:A van was involved in a serious Road Tragic Collision (M4 Westbound - Cardiff Gate to Coryton) and the driver is fighting for his life...

Some delicate operations by the emergency services and I noticed the traffic was still static around 17:30 - 18:00 hours as I passed over the Thornhill bridge

Said was still closed late tonight! Must be chaos remembered when closed it for 9hrs! all rds in city were log jammed surely they must have better way to do investigation work without closing rds for so many hrs.... watched how other countries do it and they find away to do it far quicker but we seem to take longer and longer! Chris Was told he was catapulted out van and they were fighting to save him hope he gets through it .

Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:45 am

pembroke allan wrote:
Sven wrote:A van was involved in a serious Road Tragic Collision (M4 Westbound - Cardiff Gate to Coryton) and the driver is fighting for his life...

Said was still closed late tonight! Must be chaos remembered when closed it for 9hrs! all rds in city were log jammed surely they must have better way to do investigation work without closing rds for so many hrs.... watched how other countries do it and they find away to do it far quicker but we seem to take longer and longer! Chris Was told he was catapulted out van and they were fighting to save him hope he gets through it .

Likely investigaion work, Allan. Nowadays any 'incident' is viewed as homicide (or atempted homicide where no death occrs) and then de-escalated to the appropriate level

Road Traffic Collision rather than (old style) Accident after a motorist got away in Court when his Barrister successfully argued the term 'accident' used in the case was listed as "an unforseen series of events that result in collision and/or injury"

Case thrown out on that technicality (unforseen) and the term RTC adopted

Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:25 pm

pembroke allan wrote:How is the traffic jams in cardiff tonight? See m4 is closed between cardiff gate and coryton as been since 3pm! Why oh why didnt labour do what supposed to have done and build a ring rd around city which would have included m4 relief rd? If did closing m4 anywhere between Cardiff Newport wouldn't be a problem....

Hope the people involved in the collision pull through.

You are correct Allan, nearly every other major city in UK Now has a "ring road" type road - London M25 (round ring road), Birmingham M5/M42 (square ring road), Manchester M60 (round ring road), etc. If this Silly Welsh Labour Government had more foresight they would have looked more seriously and implemented a ring road/M4 relief road south of Newport and Cardiff to take away traffic and congestion to both cities and as you say any road closure on either road. Could have been Cardiff M4R Ring road (Egg shaped :idea: :oops: ).

Makes you wonder what experts/university studies/professionals/ Government actually get paid for when a bit of thought and common sense might suffice.

Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:05 pm

powysblue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:How is the traffic jams in cardiff tonight? See m4 is closed between cardiff gate and coryton as been since 3pm! Why oh why didnt labour do what supposed to have done and build a ring rd around city which would have included m4 relief rd? If did closing m4 anywhere between Cardiff Newport wouldn't be a problem....

You are correct Allan, nearly every other major city in UK Now has a "ring road" type road - London M25 (round ring road), Birmingham M5/M42 (square ring road), Manchester M60 (round ring road), etc. If this Silly Welsh Labour Government had more foresight they would have looked more seriously and implemented a ring road/M4 relief road south of Newport and Cardiff to take away traffic and congestion to both cities and as you say any road closure on either road. Could have been Cardiff M4R Ring road (Egg shaped :idea: :oops: ).

Makes you wonder what experts/university studies/professionals/ Government actually get paid for when a bit of thought and common sense might suffice.

South of Newport and Cardiff is the Severn Channel, the closest stretch of land south of the 2 cities is Bristol to Western Super-Mare. I think most experts/students/professionals etc have noticed that ;)
I jest, I don’t disagree with you though. North, on the other hand, would be a sensible solution and a viable location.

I think they’re hoping the introduction of the South Wales Metro and the new “Cardiff Parkway” station near Marshfield will be enough to ease congestion. I would also imagine public transport infrastructure has a much smaller footprint and building costs than a motorway? That’s a guess though.

If attitudes change in regards to working from home over the next few years I can see that being used as an argument against a ring/relief road.

Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:30 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:
powysblue wrote:

South of Newport and Cardiff is the Severn Channel, the closest stretch of land south of the 2 cities is Bristol to Western Super-Mare. I think most experts/students/professionals etc have noticed that ;)
I jest, I don’t disagree with you though. North, on the other hand, would be a sensible solution and a viable location.

I think they’re hoping the introduction of the South Wales Metro and the new “Cardiff Parkway” station near Marshfield will be enough to ease congestion. I would also imagine public transport infrastructure has a much smaller footprint and building costs than a motorway? That’s a guess though.

If attitudes change in regards to working from home over the next few years I can see that being used as an argument against a ring/relief road.

The A4232 from m4 to the bay was part of the ring rd planned for cardiff in 80s if you know st mellons the rds from end rover way was also part of it but labour in their wisdom decided not to carry on along coast rd to tredegar park.... obviously the m4 relief rd is an extension to this going around Newport ! The proposed alternatives to this are load of bullocks and will fo nothing to stop traffic jams on Newport m4.... st mellons parkway serves practically no one other than trowbridge st mellons and the odd splatering of houses in area.. working from home will help Cardiff but 80% of m4 traffic goes beyond Newport how does a metro at st mellons help m4? WG (labour) are pandering to the environmentalists and the loony elements of labour.

Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:36 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:
powysblue wrote:

Well, Westcoastblue, I have enclosed the WAG proposed Relief road map which was dismissed, and as you will see it is SOUTH of Newport on the land, not in the severn channel.
_94896316_m4map.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:45 pm

powysblue wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
powysblue wrote:

Well, Westcoastblue, I have enclosed the WAG proposed Relief road map which was dismissed, and as you will see it is SOUTH of Newport on the land, not in the severn channel.
_94896316_m4map.jpg

Ah I see, that makes more sense now. I read this part of your post “ implemented a ring road/M4 relief road south of Newport and Cardiff” as being a single stretch of road going south of both Newport AND Cardiff with the 2 ends being, for example, Pontyclun to the West and somewhere near the Celtic Manor to the East.
South of Newport definitely works but Cardiff wouldn’t.

Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:58 pm

I drove back from Pembrokeshire along the M4 yesterday, something I’ve done thousands of times. The weather all the way back was horrendous, up there with the worst I’ve ever experienced, hail or torrential rain the entire way. If the roads had been busier there would have been lots more accidents. I turned off at Coryton about 3pm just before the said accident. I’m not surprised to hear about it, some people were driving like it was a summers day I tell you.

Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:51 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:
powysblue wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
powysblue wrote:

_94896316_m4map.jpg

Ah I see, that makes more sense now. I read this part of your post “ implemented a ring road/M4 relief road south of Newport and Cardiff” as being a single stretch of road going south of both Newport AND Cardiff with the 2 ends being, for example, Pontyclun to the West and somewhere near the Celtic Manor to the East.

Well, as Pembroke Allen says, in the 1980,s there was a plan and a start of construction of a ring road of sorts joining south East of the city at Rover Way up to Splott to join with the bay link road But it was abandoned (Money or false guidance?), which in hindsight could have connected with this new M4 Newport Relief road along the Gwent marshes, Marshfield, Forshore and rover way, which would have meant a complete relief road/ring road from east of Newport to West of Cardiff, with junctions to Casleton, St Mellons (East of Cardiff), all of south of Cardiff, Leckwith and CCS, and West of Cardiff.

Not sure if it was Welsh Assembly or Cardiff City Council who made that stinker ?

As usual short term thinking and lack of vision and lack of finance.

Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:53 pm

powysblue wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
powysblue wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
powysblue wrote:

_94896316_m4map.jpg

Well, as Pembroke Allen says, in the 1980,s there was a plan and a start of construction of a ring road of sorts joining south East of the city at Rover Way up to Splott to join with the bay link road But it was abandoned (Money or false guidance?), which in hindsight could have connected with this new M4 Newport Relief road along the Gwent marshes, Marshfield, Forshore and rover way, which would have meant a complete relief road/ring road from east of Newport to West of Cardiff, with junctions to Casleton, St Mellons (East of Cardiff), all of south of Cardiff, Leckwith and CCS, and West of Cardiff.

Not sure if it was Welsh Assembly or Cardiff City Council who made that stinker ?

Interesting stuff, I wasn't aware of that plan. Looking at Maps from the locations you mentioned it makes sense but I imagine financially it was pretty unfeasible? If the plan was to have a large section underground like currently the bay link road tunnel would needed to have been built larger and expanding Rover Way to accommodate that volume of traffic would also mean relocating and building new facilities for the industrial sites that it passes. It also looks like the train yard would've had to be demolished. I don't know how much that was in use in the 80's though?
If the plan was to build it above ground it would also have severely changed the redevelopment of the Bay for the worse. I don't know whether or not the plans for the Bay were already made at the time but if they were I could see that being a a big reason the plan was abandoned.

Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:41 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:
powysblue wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
powysblue wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
powysblue wrote:

_94896316_m4map.jpg

Interesting stuff, I wasn't aware of that plan. Looking at Maps from the locations you mentioned it makes sense but I imagine financially it was pretty unfeasible? If the plan was to have a large section underground like currently the bay link road tunnel would needed to have been built larger and expanding Rover Way to accommodate that volume of traffic would also mean relocating and building new facilities for the industrial sites that it passes. It also looks like the train yard would've had to be demolished. I don't know how much that was in use in the 80's though?
If the plan was to build it above ground it would also have severely changed the redevelopment of the Bay for the worse. I don't know whether or not the plans for the Bay were already made at the time but if they were I could see that being a a big reason the plan was abandoned.

The bay section if you remember there was a flyover going nowhere (built in 80s) which recently as been completed to join at rover way that was part of ring rd so all in place but as been stated it was abandoned for whatever reason... the plans consisted of widening rover way with the rd forking off to to eastern Avenue! Then the rds going to lamby way recycling
centre were part of the coast rd section upto tredegar park...... it would have then gone from there through docks and other side of tunnels basically an extension of m4 relief rd... obviously this is from memory when I lived in trowbridge. if this had been done the problem we have now and for ever more thanks to drakeford wouldn't be half as bad :thumbup:

Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:01 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
powysblue wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
powysblue wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
powysblue wrote:

_94896316_m4map.jpg

The bay section if you remember there was a flyover going nowhere (built in 80s) which recently as been completed to join at rover way that was part of ring rd so all in place but as been stated it was abandoned for whatever reason... the plans consisted of widening rover way with the rd forking off to to eastern Avenue! Then the rds going to lamby way recycling
centre were part of the coast rd section upto tredegar park...... it would have then gone from there through docks and other side of tunnels basically an extension of m4 relief rd... obviously this is from memory when I lived in trowbridge. if this had been done the problem we have now and for ever more thanks to drakeford wouldn't be half as bad :thumbup:

The original m4 relief rd plan ran from jnct 29 castleton to 23a magor south of Newport this was in 1980 ish this was to replace plans of widening brynglas tunnels . Which ties in with what I've said about coast rd plans to tredegar park.

Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:56 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
powysblue wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
powysblue wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
powysblue wrote:

_94896316_m4map.jpg

The original m4 relief rd plan ran from jnct 29 castleton to 23a magor south of Newport this was in 1980 ish this was to replace plans of widening brynglas tunnels . Which ties in with what I've said about coast rd plans to tredegar park.

our roads have strangled our economy for decades and the only ones that can not see it are those in power

Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:39 pm

skidemin wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
powysblue wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
powysblue wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
powysblue wrote:

_94896316_m4map.jpg

our roads have strangled our economy for decades and the only ones that can not see it are those in power

Labour have been taken over by the environmental lobby and anything to do with being politically correct! Labour in wales whether it be WG OR Cardiff city council know only how to waste money or destroy things by renege on promises , their policies are blinded by fact they've been in power to long
and they believe they're
unchallengeable . :roll:
The £800m they say they'll spend instead of m4 is reliant on Joe public using the trains ect which is pie in the sky when consider the target audience "motorists " on m4 wont be using it as doesn't suit their needs.

Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:06 pm

Drakeford would argue all day that the much improved A465 is the northern arch of the Cardiff ring road.

Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:57 pm

Isawgarystevensscoreagoal wrote:Drakeford would argue all day that the much improved A465 is the northern arch of the Cardiff ring road.

Probably right as he doesnt have a clue what direction he's going? :laughing6: