Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

OFFICIAL " MICK MCCARTHY IS CARDIFF CITY MANAGER "

Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:33 pm

MM_TC.jpg

Cardiff City is pleased to confirm the appointment of Mick McCarthy as the Club's First Team Manager for the remainder of the 2020/21 season.

Mick will be joined in the Welsh capital by Assistant Manager Terry Connor, while James Rowberry and Andy Dibble will continue in their roles as First Team Coach and Goalkeeping Coach respectively.

MM_KC.jpg

Tan Sri Vincent Tan said of the appointment: “I’d like to personally welcome Mick and Terry to our Football Club and wish them the very best of luck.

“I’ve enjoyed the brief talk I’ve had with Mick and I’m confident that he’s the right man to take on the responsibility of improving our performances and fortunes.”

Mick has a wealth of managerial experience on the club and international stage.

Captain of the Republic of Ireland in his playing days, Mick has twice managed his national side, notably taking them to the knockout stage of the 2002 FIFA World Cup.

MM_TC_2 (1).jpg

At club level, he clinched Championship titles with both Sunderland and Wolves, whilst also guiding all four of his domestic sides to Play-Off campaigns.

"I'm delighted to be here," Mick told Cardiff City TV. "I'm thrilled by the opportunity.

"I want to get the Club back to winning games and I want to get smiles back on the players' faces. If we do that, then we'll get smiles back on the fans.

"We've got a good squad of players and I'm looking forward to getting down to work."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: OFFICIAL " MICK MCCARTHY IS CARDIFF CITY MANAGER "

Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:48 pm

All the best Mick.

First game for the "Irish Yorkshireman" from Barnsley just had to be against Barnsley!

Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:59 pm

Welcome Mick :bluebird:

Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:10 pm

Brilliant first interview talked about Cardiff being " A horrible place to come and play" and talked about being in the foyer thinking I've lost so many games here I'm looking forward to winning some now.

Our type of manager I think.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:11 pm

Good Luck Mick and Welcome :bluescarf:

Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:35 pm

Enjoyed his short interview and up beat attitude. Feels like the assured breath of fresh air we need at the moment. A short term contract is sensible as the first objective is staying up. An awful statement to make after Harris. I genuinely think with some additions to the midfield and a fit again Tomlin the football at the end of season might be quite entertaining too. With a glass half full I think we will finish in the top ten.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:42 pm

Don’t forget he’s brought his Terry Connor who follows him everywhere. Met Terry and his young son a few years ago in the John Charles suite at Ninian when he was working/scouting for Wolves. Great guy to talk to about his football experiences and very approachable.
Best of luck to both him and Mick.

Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:58 pm

I have to say I’m absolutely on board with this appointment. I know it’s not young and exciting but neither was a certain other old Yorkshireman who was accused of playing shit football. It seems like a calculated risk, we will clearly not get relegated under him and he has also got to the the playoffs (at least) with every other team he has managed in this league. (Albeit not in the first year always) if it doesn’t go brilliantly then he’s off at the end of the year, but if the players respond to the old fashioned organisation and discipline then he could earn another deal. Looking forward to Wednesday

Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:25 pm

OK Mick you wouldn't have been myb1st choice but it makes no difference now you are here. Welcome to Cardiff City and hope you can turn around a team that is lacking guts, motivation and quality....

Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:36 am

Welcome to the mad house Mick, let's hope you can turn it into the House of Fun.

Totally agree with your comments about our ex manager, when things go sour it's not just down to one individual. I hope there are many people on our payroll who are taking a long hard look at their wage slip, and asking themselves, "Have I always given everything to earn this money and privilege?".

You have a large broom as an incoming manager, please don't be afraid to sweep hard and far if things need cleaning up.

Best of luck to you, as that is always a key ingredient in this crazy league. You are here until at least the end of the season, hopefully a lot longer, because if that is the case you have done something right.

We are a proud club, born on the working classes, give us that pride back. :bluebird:

Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:42 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:
MM_TC.jpg

Welcome to Cardiff won this league twice ,kept wolves up in the Premier league ,hope he can rediscover that touch with us

Cardiff City is pleased to confirm the appointment of Mick McCarthy as the Club's First Team Manager for the remainder of the 2020/21 season.

Mick will be joined in the Welsh capital by Assistant Manager Terry Connor, while James Rowberry and Andy Dibble will continue in their roles as First Team Coach and Goalkeeping Coach respectively.

MM_KC.jpg

Tan Sri Vincent Tan said of the appointment: “I’d like to personally welcome Mick and Terry to our Football Club and wish them the very best of luck.

“I’ve enjoyed the brief talk I’ve had with Mick and I’m confident that he’s the right man to take on the responsibility of improving our performances and fortunes.”

Mick has a wealth of managerial experience on the club and international stage.

Captain of the Republic of Ireland in his playing days, Mick has twice managed his national side, notably taking them to the knockout stage of the 2002 FIFA World Cup.

MM_TC_2 (1).jpg

At club level, he clinched Championship titles with both Sunderland and Wolves, whilst also guiding all four of his domestic sides to Play-Off campaigns.

"I'm delighted to be here," Mick told Cardiff City TV. "I'm thrilled by the opportunity.

"I want to get the Club back to winning games and I want to get smiles back on the players' faces. If we do that, then we'll get smiles back on the fans.

"We've got a good squad of players and I'm looking forward to getting down to work."

Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:22 am

I’ve just looked at his overall managerial record. He’s done well everywhere he’s been, bar APOEL (which I’m guessing the language barrier with Big Micks broad Yorkshire accent may well have been a struggle!).

I’m feeling quite positive about this move. I think he’s got every chance of doing well here.

Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:03 pm

castleblue wrote:Brilliant first interview talked about Cardiff being " A horrible place to come and play" and talked about being in the foyer thinking I've lost so many games here I'm looking forward to winning some now.

Our type of manager I think.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

time will tell , im not expecting miracles , be happy to gradually increase the gap between us and 22nd for now...