Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

BREAKING MICK McCARTHY: " WELL WORTH READING "

Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:16 pm

New Cardiff City boss Mick McCarthy is set to meet the press for the first time this afternoon.

His appointment at Cardiff City Stadium has been something of a whirlwind, with Neil Harris dismissed on Thursday afternoon and the former Republic of Ireland manager appointed on Friday evening.

:bluebird: :bluebird: “ MICK McCARTHY UPDATES CARDIFF CITY FANS “ :bluebird: :bluebird:

Saturday 23rd January 2021

MICK McCARTHY:

What’s your thinking behind taking a short-term post?

My thinking is, I want to get back to work and I am delighted to be able to do that at a club as big and good as Cardiff City.

Clubs are all suffering a little bit, managers leaving, coming in and signing two or three years… I am quite cool with it.

If I earn a longer-term deal, good for me! If I don’t then it’s my fault.

McCarthy

Potential for longer then?

Of course. I guess I have got to earn that long-term deal with my performance and the performance of the players. Getting them to play and win games and seeing what we can do this season.

If it is successful, yes, of course, there is an opportunity.

McCarthy

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: “ READ ALL MICK McCARTHY’S UPDATES BELOW “ :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Good track record, sustained success, fan reaction has been mixed, take notice of that?

Everybody is entitled to an opinion.

If you ask every Cardiff supporter you would get a long list of people they would like to employ, a lot of people in front of me.

I can’t do anything about that.

I am not interested in that. I just want to come in, enjoy these 22 games and do as well as I possibly can. Then, hopefully, the ones who didn’t want me will be proven wrong.

If you form a committee to design a horse you get a camel anyway, someone has got to make a decision.

McCarthy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: MICK McCARTHY:

Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:17 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

What is the group capable of?

The first thing I did when I got the call, that I could speak to the club, I looked at the squad and thought ‘Wow, they have got some good players’.

I watched them play at Nottingham Forest, I was really impressed, played really well and won the game.

I am thinking ‘there is an opportunity here’.

I don’t know what’s gone wrong but you can’t lay the blame at one person’s door. Neil (Harris) reached the play-offs last year. So I don’t know what’s happened. It’s been an inconsistent one, won four on the bounce then lost a few on the bounce.

We need consistency

McCarthy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:18 pm

MICK McCARTHY

Do you think long term yet?

I’ve got to plan for long term, in the fact I want to win games and finish as high up as I can and then everyone will be saying, ‘You’ve got to give Mick McCarthy and TC a contract’.

You want to win games. No manager knows what happens. I want to win games and that is good for me and good for the club.

I am not sat here worried.

Maybe we don’t do well and the club don’t offer me a contract, so be it. I want to do well while I’m here.

McCarthy

Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:18 pm

Cardiff face McCarthy's old club Barnsley on Wednesday, the first time the 61-year-old will be in the Bluebirds' dugout. :bluebird:

First game is Barnsley…

It is, then Millwall, my first job as manager.

But I only have an affinity for Cardiff City at the moment.

McCarthy

7pm Wed Jan 27th Barnsley v Cardiff City

Sat Jan 30 CARDIFF CITY v MILLWALL

Sat Feb 06 Bristol City v Cardiff City

Tue Feb 9. Rotherham v Cardiff City

Sat Feb 13 COVENTRY CITY H

Tue Feb 16 Luton Town A 8.15pm live on Sky :bluebird:

Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:20 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

Transfer window, spoken to Tan about money?

I haven’t spoken to him about that.

It was only completed yesterday and I had my first training session this morning.

I’ve got to see the players I’ve got and we will discuss that when we have been in a few more days.

McCarthy

Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:21 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

Nice to get back to it?

Absolutely! Into an environment I am used to. Minus 2 and a warm hat!

I was brought up in Barnsley!

McCarthy

Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:22 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

Philosophy?

We are all different.

What you try to bring in is that experience I have had. My knowledge, my coaching ability. He is an excellent assistant, he brings a hell of a lot to the party. There is no one thing. You bring in your personality and I hope I can galvanise a squad that is just not achieving what they should be.

It’s very difficult starting talking about it, but I complimented Neil, he got them to the play-offs.

Everyone has to accept responsibility.

McCarthy

Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:23 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

Tasted a Welsh cake?

Maybe. I have had loads of cake all over the world!

If you surprise me with one I will taste it with a cup of tea.

McCarthy

Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:24 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

Unfinished business, after Ireland job was cut short?

No, none of that!

I was disappointed because Covid struck. Wow, my disappointment was because my contract didn’t run over and above Covid. That’s still going on. My contract ended in July and it was never going to be extended beyond that because I accepted Stephen Kenny was taking the job. I left in April and was quite happy to let Stephen get on with it. I left quite happily, disappointed because I wanted to take the Slovakia game, but it just wasn’t feasible and it was Stephen’s time.

I have no anger, ire, ill-feeling, it was a contractual issue. I have got unfinished business with football as opposed to any other job I’ve had before. I loved being back with Ireland and it was an absolute honour to manage them for the second time.

McCarthy

Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:25 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

Cardiff squad littered with Prem experience…

I have seen them play and watched them against Nottingham Forest. I was impressed that day, but I looked at the squad and I was impressed with what I saw. It’s not one person’s fault, I have to get a tune out of the players and get them to improve. I think we can and I think we have got the quality to do it.

McCarthy

Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:25 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

Big club and fan base, being marooned in mid-table, any targets towards the end of the season?

The play-offs would be nice, wouldn’t it? I had a brief meeting, because I wanted to see them train.

I can learn more about them when we train and see where we are at.

We will attempt to win the game against Barnsley on Wednesday night.

When we start picking up points we can set targets.

To come in and say, on the back of the defeats we have had, that the target is now the play-offs, some of them will wonder if I’ve gone off my rocker.

If we beat Barnsley, Millwall, maybe we can say it. But we need to get back to winning games.

McCarthy

Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:26 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

Terry Connor, essential for you to bring him in?

Terry has been with me in 2008 in Wolves, in the Championship and Premier League and he has been with each other ever since.

There was never any doubt he was coming with me.

McCarthy

Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:29 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

Covid situation in Cyprus, and with Ireland, any concerns that things can be taken out of your hands?

I don’t worry about it.

The things I can’t affect, I try to change and affect the things I can affect.

I was going to say, about my job in Ireland, I was affected because I couldn’t finish my contract.

I have not had a serious illness, or lost my house, me or any of my family. Covid is what it is, it’s here.

Washing my hands, wearing my mask, I can’t worry about anything else.

The government can’t affect it so I’m not going to be able to!

McCarthy

Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:30 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

Neil Warnock broke the news and he welcomed you in. Is it that kind of fun and humour you’re looking forward to?

I’m not sure about bronzing in Cyprus! It was only just over two months.

I have gone from 20 degrees to 2 degrees. But I was brought up in Barnsley, so I am better acclimatised.

Did I miss that humour? I always do!

Managers miss that dressing room, it’s very funny.

I’ve known Neil since I was 16, I used to clean his boots at Barnsley.

If we’ve got him to play… he wished me well but not too well.

McCarthy

Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:41 pm

“ McCARTHY STRAIGHT TO WORK “
Link
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=220021 :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:01 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

What will the style of football be?

I like to win games. Isn’t it interesting, I look back at Neil and winning games, when they are winning games, nobody questions that, that’s the point.

If we have got all the players and we can roll it out to them in the 18-yard box, pass it up the field and score goals, then, yeah, we will do it.

If we have to play up to the front man and play off them then we will do it.

If we have to play out wide and get crosses in the box then we will do it, if we have got wingers and strikers who can score.

I do think me coming in, having one day’s training with 16 players, it’s hard to formulate a system you are going to play with them.

I have looked at them and we have got good footballers.

When you have got the ball down, you try your level best to pass the ball and keep hold of the ball and create chances.

When you haven’t got it, you make sure you get behind the ball and stop the opposition scoring.

Me and my style of football is trying your best to win the game, but it is by passing the ball to one another, however that might be.

It makes me laugh because I look at Liverpool play and they hit long balls behind the opposition.

Suddenly they get found out and the ones who beat Liverpool hit balls and get runners in behind, win games. It just makes me laugh how everyone wants a certain style of football.

But you have to play to the players you’ve got. That’s how I play.

If my players want to play to the best of their ability, we will win games and get up the league.

McCarthy

Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:01 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

What have you said to the players today?

I had a very brief two minutes with them, telling them in a meeting is irrelevant for me.

I wanted to get out on the grass. I worked with them for an hour or hour and a half today.

I wanted to see who were not very confident, who were the aggressive ones, who were the progressive ones, are there any voices in the camp?

Who are the confident ones? Who are the ones who need an arm around them, low in confidence? It seems to me there are a few of those.

It’s only normal, when you’re losing games.

It’s amazing what a couple of wins do to bring that confident back.

I have had two, three, four individual chats. I find that more productive than me stood preaching to players.

Having quiet chats is preferable. I am just getting to know them.

McCarthy

Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:02 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

What has Terry Connor thought about it?

TC is absolutely thrilled to be back, coaching at a level we have done for a long time.

He is an excellent coach, very diligent and thoughtful on it.

We were both disappointed the way it ended in Nicosia, wish them well by the way, not being coaching again was how disappointed he was.

He certainly packed his bag quickly to get down here.

McCarthy

Re: BREAKING MICK McCARTHY:

Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:06 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

What’s your thinking behind taking a short-term post?

My thinking is, I want to get back to work and I am delighted to be able to do that at a club as big and good as Cardiff City.

Clubs are all suffering a little bit, managers leaving, coming in and signing two or three years… I am quite cool with it.

If I earn a longer-term deal, good for me! If I don’t then it’s my fault.

McCarthy

Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:07 pm

Potential for longer then?

Of course. I guess I have got to earn that long-term deal with my performance and the performance of the players. Getting them to play and win games and seeing what we can do this season.

If it is successful, yes, of course, there is an opportunity.

McCarthy

Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:12 pm

Good track record, sustained success, fan reaction has been mixed, take notice of that?

MICK McCARTHY:

Everybody is entitled to an opinion.

If you ask every Cardiff supporter you would get a long list of people they would like to employ, a lot of people in front of me.

I can’t do anything about that.

I am not interested in that. I just want to come in, enjoy these 22 games and do as well as I possibly can. Then, hopefully, the ones who didn’t want me will be proven wrong.

If you form a committee to design a horse you get a camel anyway, someone has got to make a decision.

McCarthy

Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:16 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

What went wrong at APOEL?

It didn’t work out. Whether that’s me or not, I can run through a litany of excuses. We had 19 players who had Covid-19 from the 8th December.

We came back and lost all three games. Whether that’s Covid or me and TC, it didn’t work.

So, it’s the first time ever that has happened and I was disappointed it happened that way, but I am looking forward to this challenge.

McCarthy

Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:17 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

What’s it like managing a Welsh club? Passionate…

I am all right with funny bunches, because I come from a funny bunch myself!

I can place myself anywhere – I have done over time. I come from Barnsley, but I have been at Millwall in south east London, I managed in Ireland, Sunderland, Wolves, Ipswich and I’ve managed to be able to settle and manage and have a fair bit of success wherever I’ve been. I’m hoping that’s going to the case in Cardiff.

I have to say I’ve been knocked out by… I have been in the stadium, but usually I go in and take no notice of it. But what an amazing ground it is and the training ground.

Nobody has once said to me, ‘Wow, you should see Cardiff’s ground and training ground’. I have been knocked out by it, it’s amazing! It’s brilliant, I am really delighted.

McCarthy

Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:17 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

What’s it like managing a Welsh club? Passionate…

I am all right with funny bunches, because I come from a funny bunch myself!

I can place myself anywhere – I have done over time. I come from Barnsley, but I have been at Millwall in south east London, I managed in Ireland, Sunderland, Wolves, Ipswich and I’ve managed to be able to settle and manage and have a fair bit of success wherever I’ve been. I’m hoping that’s going to the case in Cardiff.

I have to say I’ve been knocked out by… I have been in the stadium, but usually I go in and take no notice of it. But what an amazing ground it is and the training ground.

Nobody has once said to me, ‘Wow, you should see Cardiff’s ground and training ground’. I have been knocked out by it, it’s amazing! It’s brilliant, I am really delighted.

McCarthy

Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:19 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

Older you get, the more you’re wanted, in terms of experience?

I have been in football a long time but I still have that desire and work rate to get the best out of people and be employed. I’m 61. Neil Warnock is 71, so maybe I have got Neil in my sights!

If I can be half as successful as he was I will be delighted.

McCarthy

Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:36 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

Any chance to assess the academy structure?

I think you know the answer to that.

Fair play for asking it. But I haven’t. I met Steve Morison and the coaches in a socially distanced way in a car park.

I think the physio was putting strappings on in the boot of the car.

I have barely had chance to speak to them. I haven’t seen the players or had chance to assess it.

I have barely had chance to assess the first-team squad, so forgive me for that.

McCarthy

Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:39 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

What are you like when not managing?

I am very pleasant, a lovely fella at home. Washing, doing the sweeping up!

During March, April, May, June, I was playing golf three times a week. I was enjoying that but I was still missing it.

I was just doing co-commentary, it kept my eye in.

In doing that, you miss it all the more.

But it is what it is, I just try and keep busy, but I always miss it.

McCarthy

Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:39 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

Allardyce has spoken about obvious problems with social distancing, is that something you have thought about?

I have just had a discussion with Sean Morrison, I wanted his opinion on things. But it is difficult, at the moment, to have that normal craic, fun, team spirit.

You don’t have banter in the dressing room, talking about last night’s game or someone else’s game.

That is difficult to create that.

When you’re on the back of a few defeats, you need to have a chat with your mates, discuss how it went wrong.

I agree with Sam, it’s something I am now learning, how we create that I don’t know. We travel on two coaches, it really is difficult.

The best way is to enjoy the training sessions.

Have a bit of fun there.

McCarthy

Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:40 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

Stephen Kenny not won a game in eight, increase your sense of regret?

I’ve got Barnsley on Wednesday, Paul. That’s my sole interest. Then Millwall on Saturday.

If you would like to speak to me about my job at Cardiff then I would love to do so. If not, I am happy to leave the meeting.

McCarthy

Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:41 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

A great job?

No one has said what a wonderful place it is. All I have done is come back, battle it out with Neil (Warnock), but no one has told me how good of a club it is.

I am honoured and delighted to be here and hopefully I can make everyone else proud of me to be here in the time I have got.

McCarthy