Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Gardening help

Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:19 pm

I want to put down chipping in the front garden. There is very rough concrete down at the mo but weeds keep appearing at the base of the house and the garden wall. Certain parts of the floor i have a problem with moss forming. Its quite a large area, i have thought of putting that black sheeting down but has any one got any other ideas as im not a gardening buff. :ayatollah:

Re: Gardening help

Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:42 pm

You'll be wasting time and money putting Terram(black sheeting) on top of concrete, your Moss problem will be an ongoing problem as such as it likes damp shady areas, if you can get more sunlight to the affected area that would cure it in the longterm(after you removed and cleaned up afected area), if thats not possible then treat it with Moss Killer(be carefull, moss killer with iron sulphate will stain anything it touches) zinc sulphate won't, as for your weed problem, just use weed killer, then everytime a new one appears, just pull it out whilst its young, a more permanant solution would be to put a mastic seal(not silicone) where concrete meets wall/house before you lay your chippings.. :thumbup:

Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:46 pm

Bluebird 82 wrote:You'll be wasting time and money putting Terram(black sheeting) on top of concrete, your Moss problem will be an ongoing problem as such as it likes damp shady areas, if you can get more sunlight to the affected area that would cure it in the longterm(after you removed and cleaned up afected area), if thats not possible then treat it with Moss Killer(be carefull, moss killer with iron sulphate will stain anything it touches) zinc sulphate won't, as for your weed problem, just use weed killer, then everytime a new one appears, just pull it out whilst its young, a more permanant solution would be to put a mastic seal(not silicone) where concrete meets wall/house before you lay your chippings.. :thumbup:

Cracking Reply :shock: :shock: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:52 pm

I have blocked paving that is 20 years old. Every year I have to scrape the moss up from between the bricks and also remove quite a few weeds. Is there any treatment I can give it to reduce this problem?

Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:09 pm

Bluebird 82 wrote:You'll be wasting time and money putting Terram(black sheeting) on top of concrete, your Moss problem will be an ongoing problem as such as it likes damp shady areas, if you can get more sunlight to the affected area that would cure it in the longterm(after you removed and cleaned up afected area), if thats not possible then treat it with Moss Killer(be carefull, moss killer with iron sulphate will stain anything it touches) zinc sulphate won't, as for your weed problem, just use weed killer, then everytime a new one appears, just pull it out whilst its young, a more permanant solution would be to put a mastic seal(not silicone) where concrete meets wall/house before you lay your chippings.. :thumbup:

Cheers Chief. Your comments have been noted :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:18 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:I have blocked paving that is 20 years old. Every year I have to scrape the moss up from between the bricks and also remove quite a few weeds. Is there any treatment I can give it to reduce this problem?

as its 20yrs old it will always have a weathered look, this is what i'd do, remove as much moss/weeds by hand and then scrape out all the joints, get some weed killer(make sure it won't stain the paving) or use a diluted bleach solution and spray the entire area, once thats done the job of killing the green bits, thoroughly jet-wash the paving(move your car and warn the neighbours) it can get messy :D buy some bags of 'Kiln dried sand, then on a nice dry day(not too early in the morning though, morning dews a bitch) gently brush the sand into the joints untill they are full, you might find you need to do this a few times(depending on how much sand was lost through jet- washing) once you've done all that, buy a quality concrete sealer £25-£30 for 5ltrs and paint the lot, it should look spot on for a good few years ater that lot.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:24 pm

Nuclearblue wrote:I want to put down chipping in the front garden. There is very rough concrete down at the mo but weeds keep appearing at the base of the house and the garden wall. Certain parts of the floor i have a problem with moss forming. Its quite a large area, i have thought of putting that black sheeting down but has any one got any other ideas as im not a gardening buff. :ayatollah:

Dont talk about gardens, Ive spent 2 days cutting my garden, since coming back from my hols, I've lost 4lb doing it though.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:25 pm

Bluebird 82 wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:I have blocked paving that is 20 years old. Every year I have to scrape the moss up from between the bricks and also remove quite a few weeds. Is there any treatment I can give it to reduce this problem?

as its 20yrs old it will always have a weathered look, this is what i'd do, remove as much moss/weeds by hand and then scrape out all the joints, get some weed killer(make sure it won't stain the paving) or use a diluted bleach solution and spray the entire area, once thats done the job of killing the green bits, thoroughly jet-wash the paving(move your car and warn the neighbours) it can get messy :D buy some bags of 'Kiln dried sand, then on a nice dry day(not too early in the morning though, morning dews a bitch) gently brush the sand into the joints untill they are full, you might find you need to do this a few times(depending on how much sand was lost through jet- washing) once you've done all that, buy a quality concrete sealer £25-£30 for 5ltrs and paint the lot, it should look spot on for a good few years ater that lot.

Cheers chap.

I've done the first part of scraping the moss away and putting weed killer down. I'm in the process of getting a jet wash to do the next bit and was about to order the sand. I'll now make sure it is the Kiln dried sand. I did not know aboout the concrete sealer so will look out for some. Good stuff.

Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:27 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:I want to put down chipping in the front garden. There is very rough concrete down at the mo but weeds keep appearing at the base of the house and the garden wall. Certain parts of the floor i have a problem with moss forming. Its quite a large area, i have thought of putting that black sheeting down but has any one got any other ideas as im not a gardening buff. :ayatollah:

Dont talk about gardens, Ive spent 2 days cutting my garden, since coming back from my hols, I've lost 4lb doing it though.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: