Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Players does U-Turn on Cardiff & Signs pre-contract for Ra

Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:05 am

Cardiff handed blow as Rangers swoop for transfer targets

By Ben Wignall

Sunday 24th January 2021

Rangers have agreed pre-contract agreements with AFC Bournemouth pair Jack Simpson and Nnamdi Ofoborh, according to the Daily Record.

That will be a big blow to EFL outfit Cardiff City , who agreed a fee with Bournemouth and booked his medical.

Not content with just getting them to Ibrox next season though, Steven Gerrard is keen to land the pair this month, and the players will inform Bournemouth of their desire to leave before the end of the transfer window, per MailSport (via Daily Record).

It was thought that Cardiff were set to swoop for 24-year-old Simpson earlier in the week, with the Bluebirds having their offer accepted and the player booked in for a medical, but he reportedly made a U-turn and opted to remain at the Cherries to weigh-up his options.

Neil Harris the manager at the time thought he had signed Simpson, only for Simpson to change his made at the last minute.

It now looks certain that Simpson will not be joining the Welsh club and has decided to go to Scotland.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Players does U-Turn on Cardiff & Signs pre-contract for

Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:15 am

Annis rangers are cheeky sods, asking Simpson to ask Bournemouth to let him leave early, only benefit for Bournemouth is to get him off the wage bill. I am sorry but if I was the owner of Bournemouth I would refuse, and would not play him for the rest of the season, not even for reserves or youth teams. Spiteful maybe but having lost the £750k I would say bollux to him,
They will still get their compensation at the end of the season, but it stinks :thumbup:

Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:17 am

Sort of gave up on him signing for us really.

To be honest, if he doubts about wanting to join us then it's probably for the best that he's signed a contract with someone else.

We have enough players who don't seem to want to play matches regularly.

He probably sees it as an opportunity to play on the Champions League next season, if he can get in their team.

Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:24 am

Really don’t understand any players who sign for Rangers or Celtic

4 competitive games a season and losing in the champions league qualifying game

Talk about taking the easy option... lazy, lazy players

Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:25 am

Not that clear he was that good anyway. What does it say about Rangers that they are happy to sign the fourth best centre back at a championship club who ate starting to look like they won't get automatic promotion and if their current form continues might struggle to make the playoffs.

Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:27 am

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Really don’t understand any players who sign for Rangers or Celtic

They don't always lose in the qualifying game, to be fair.

Even when they do, they go into the Europa League which is still a good tournament to play in.

Rangers won their Europa League group this season and have the opportunity to progress further with a favourable draw against Antwerp.

Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:33 am

Ah well fk off to the pub league...

As good as he may have been, maybe big Mick will have his eyes on someone else

Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:43 am

Igovernor wrote:Annis rangers are cheeky sods, asking Simpson to ask Bournemouth to let him leave early, only benefit for Bournemouth is to get him off the wage bill. I am sorry but if I was the owner of Bournemouth I would refuse, and would not play him for the rest of the season, not even for reserves or youth teams. Spiteful maybe but having lost the £750k I would say bollux to him,
They will still get their compensation at the end of the season, but it stinks :thumbup:

Rangers are cheeky Roger, but it looks like they got away with it.

Simpsons heart was not to come here, so we are better off without him :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:26 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Really don’t understand any players who sign for Rangers or Celtic

Have you actually seen Rangers results in europe since Gerrard took over? Who would you sign for Gerrard,a world class player,or Harris?

Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:31 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Igovernor wrote:Annis rangers are cheeky sods, asking Simpson to ask Bournemouth to let him leave early, only benefit for Bournemouth is to get him off the wage bill. I am sorry but if I was the owner of Bournemouth I would refuse, and would not play him for the rest of the season, not even for reserves or youth teams. Spiteful maybe but having lost the £750k I would say bollux to him,

Rangers are cheeky Roger, but it looks like they got away with it.

Simpsons heart was not to come here, so we are better off without him :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Like you say Annis we are better off without him, let him warm the bench at rangers :wave:

Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:02 pm

What i say is there can't be any PRINCIPLES in foot ball if a player will do this as Simpson has done. :banghead: :banghead:

Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:17 pm

Would Mick go for the same players as Harris?
With Morrison back to full fitness
and Flint not to far away.He might well be looking
to strengthen eslewhere.
Last edited by stickywicket on Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:18 pm

It’s an easy option and probably a decent pay day but replace Rangers/Celtic with Man City/PSG/Juventus/Bayern/etc and it’s not much different. Domestically those teams completely dominate in the league and cup. The only difference being your European run will be the Europa League, for a player with ~30 games in 5 years at Bournemouth that’s not something to turn your nose up at.
It’s not like there’s no competition in the cups either, in the last 10 seasons Kilmarnock, Ross County, St Mirren, Aberdeen have all won the league cup and Hibs, St Johnstone, Hearts, Inverness and Dundee have won the FA Cup.
Funnily enough this weekend is Semi Final weekend and neither Celtic or Rangers are competing.

Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:24 pm

What is wrong with that. They are perfectly entitled to ask and Bournemouth can just say no. If Bournemouth want to keep Simpson why don't they offer him a newif contract themselves.

Are you really saying that clubs should stop playing players if they sign a pre contract with another club?

Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:39 pm

It’s up up the lad we never had him so we won’t miss him.

There’s always another young centre back missing game time at a club hopefully MM can identify him?

Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:57 pm

sendintank wrote:

Have you actually seen Rangers results in europe since Gerrard took over? Who would you sign for Gerrard,a world class player,or Harris?

Europa league?? The league nobody is interested in!!

All I’m saying is I find it very strange that a player would rather play in a completely uncompetitive pub league than the hugely tough and competitive championship

It’s just taking the easy, lazy option

Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:05 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:

It’s an easy option and probably a decent pay day but replace Rangers/Celtic with Man City/PSG/Juventus/Bayern/etc and it’s not much different. Domestically those teams completely dominate in the league and cup. The only difference being your European run will be the Europa League, for a player with ~30 games in 5 years at Bournemouth that’s not something to turn your nose up at.
It’s not like there’s no competition in the cups either, in the last 10 seasons Kilmarnock, Ross County, St Mirren, Aberdeen have all won the league cup and Hibs, St Johnstone, Hearts, Inverness and Dundee have won the FA Cup.
Funnily enough this weekend is Semi Final weekend and neither Celtic or Rangers are competing.

Difference being there are very few uncompetitive games in the Premier League and possibly no easy games in the championship. Where as some of the teams in the Scottish premier league are no better than poor non league team standard

Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:54 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:

Been watching their highlights show each weekend lately, and been asking why on earth anyone decent would want play up there, standard is poor with several championship and even league 1 players, last night Aberdeen had that Welsh lad Hedges they signed from Barnsley, played well actually, but on the bench a striker they signed last week who cant get in the Northampton side! Also other than the big 2 the grounds are small, Hibs, Aberdeen 20k the rest around 10k!
Difference being there are very few uncompetitive games in the Premier League and possibly no easy games in the championship. Where as some of the teams in the Scottish premier league are no better than poor non league team standard

Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:13 pm

Won’t be the first and definitely won’t be the last player,to hold out and see if a better offer comes along,may be more money on offer,the chance to win trophies,or European football played its part,rangers a big club,but very poor league to play in,good luck to the lad but can’t see why this saga,was drawn out for so long,we want players who are eager to come and play for Cardiff,from what I ve heard,he weren’t kean on signing from the start,more like Bournemouth wanting to gain some money,rather than let him run down his contract

Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:13 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:
sendintank wrote:

Europa league?? The league nobody is interested in!!

All I’m saying is I find it very strange that a player would rather play in a completely uncompetitive pub league than the hugely tough and competitive championship

It’s just taking the easy, lazy option[/quoteRangers have been excellent in the europa league this last few years,can you say the same about our cup exploits?Rangers have beaten Porto home and away i think,Galatasary,and standard Liege,we lose regularly against giants like Gillingham and Northampton.Thres not one current city player who would get in the Rangers team.Hes only going there as a squad player tho,hes just swapping Bournemouth for Rangers.He probably would have played here.

Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:05 pm

This Country of late is full of U - Turns :roll: