Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: CARDIFF GET BIG CRITICISM/ SAME OLD SAME OLD

Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:46 pm

Fusilier52 wrote:Quote
Saud same earlier and can count brentford in this what have swansea done since relegation sfa except sell their best young players what strategy is that certainly not a long term one thats for sure as besides losing good players it as not stopped their financial situation... same brentford done sfa despite people drooling over their recruitment policy? I have yet to see a style or way club is run in championship that garauntee success.

I find it interesting to read that selling players is a bad thing. All Clubs have to sell unless you're one of the top ten or so . It's what you do with the money and what the value is when you sell the player should be the marker on whether its a good or bad thing , I'd guess that Swansea has been far more successful than yourselves when it comes to making a profit on the players which have been sold. Making money on selling players puts a Club into a position that they reinvest it with a replacement at a lower price , develop him and if needs be sell again at a profit.Not only that it can service any debt by reducing it and in some cases negates the need to borrow .No success is ever guaranteed look at Liverpool right now one season wonders which you wouldn't have said at the end of last season.
I'm not sure what financial situation you think we're in , probably better than you in regards to owning money to the owners .
You extended your ground , what for ,disregarding Covid ,it's not making you money and it's a bit of a white elephant, what you should have done is invest in your foundations , your own training facilities, concentrate on developing your own players because that's the future for clubs like mine and yours . Instant success rarely lasts , yes you got promoted twice for what? is your Club in a better position now because of it , i don't think so , hence yet another manager and another season trying to obtain success without plan in place on how to retain it.[/quote]

Never said was bad thing but how do you progress if a club sells it's best players? You did it in premiership and it cost you your place there..... financially who knows what either clubs position is I wouldn't give credit to the guesses on here as generally it's to make our owner look bad... yes we've got things wrong and by same token got it right .. your right about Instant success lasts but there again like said selling best players is not as strategy for building a club for promotion or success you've been doing it for years and are you better off? Still in championship and next season if no promotion lose ayew and Rowe plus other loanees because so you start again like previous seasons and get in another 5/6 under 23s to replace those gone back to clubs So seems to me neither strategy is perfect .

Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:52 pm

Saud same earlier and can count brentford in this what have swansea done since relegation sfa except sell their best young players what strategy is that certainly not a long term one thats for sure as besides losing good players it as not stopped their financial situation... same brentford done sfa despite people drooling over their recruitment policy? I have yet to see a style or way club is run in championship that garauntee success.

I find it interesting to read that selling players is a bad thing. All Clubs have to sell unless you're one of the top ten or so . It's what you do with the money and what the value is when you sell the player should be the marker on whether its a good or bad thing , I'd guess that Swansea has been far more successful than yourselves when it comes to making a profit on the players which have been sold. Making money on selling players puts a Club into a position that they reinvest it with a replacement at a lower price , develop him and if needs be sell again at a profit.Not only that it can service any debt by reducing it and in some cases negates the need to borrow .No success is ever guaranteed look at Liverpool right now one season wonders which you wouldn't have said at the end of last season.
I'm not sure what financial situation you think we're in , probably better than you in regards to owning money to the owners .
You extended your ground , what for ,disregarding Covid ,it's not making you money and it's a bit of a white elephant, what you should have done is invest in your foundations , your own training facilities, concentrate on developing your own players because that's the future for clubs like mine and yours . Instant success rarely lasts , yes you got promoted twice for what? is your Club in a better position now because of it , i don't think so , hence yet another manager and another season trying to obtain success without plan in place on how to retain it.[/quote]

yes i read an almost identical post off one of your lot a few years ago... and another a few years prior to that.. in between when things are not going so well and you are sacking managers i dont read them.....wierd.... Cooper leaves and your gambling again , and the next guy is just as likely to be a Clement or a Bradley as a Rodgers or a Cooper... promoted for what ? the same reason you are trying to get promoted ..then of course you have the academy... and how many changes have there been this last couple of years with key people leaving ? so do us a favour eh...

Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:53 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

You extended your ground , what for ,disregarding Covid ,it's not making you money and it's a bit of a white elephant, what you should have done is invest in your foundations , your own training facilities, concentrate on developing your own players because that's the future for clubs like mine and yours . Instant success rarely lasts , yes you got promoted twice for what? is your Club in a better position now because of it , i don't think so , hence yet another manager and another season trying to obtain success without plan in place on how to retain it.

Never said was bad thing but question
its value for success? how do you progress as a club if sell best players? You did it in premiership and it cost you your place there..... financially who knows what either clubs position is I wouldn't give credit to the guesses on here as generally it's to make our owner look bad... yes we've got things wrong and by same token got it right .. your right about Instant success lasting but there again like said selling best players is not as strategy for building a club for promotion or success and you've been doing it for years are you better off? Still in championship and next season if no promotion lose ayew and Rowe plus other loanees b so you start again like previous seasons and get in another 4/5 under 23s to replace those gone back to clubs So seems to me neither strategy is perfect But that's football .

Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:39 pm

castleblue wrote:Easy for an ex player to "Talk the Talk" but lets face it there is no way that Ian Walsh will ever "Walk the Walk" as a football Manager. Many so called experts said the same about Neil Warnock and that wasn't so bad. MM is cut of the same cloth as NW so he will more than do for me.

Having said that where our club need to learn a lesson is that on both occasions we have been relegated from the PL we have failed to keep the squad together, despite being in receipt of parachute payments. When we fail to get promoted straight back it's cut, cut and cut and that means the job gets even more difficult. What happened last summer is a good example of where our clubs biggest failure lies, get a yes man manager tell him to lower the average age of the squad, cut the wage bill and start signing unproven players from the lower leagues and tell the manager "We'll be disappointed if we are not in the top 6 by January". Switch NH for Russell Slade last time around but no lessons were learned from that because of the miracle achieved by Neil Warnock.

NH didn't help this season because he agreed to go with to small a squad in terms of numbers, to little in terms of quality and way to little tactical nous in the manager.

In MM we may well see another miracle as with NW but sadly the squad he has inherited from NH is nowhere near as good as the one NW inherited, and that is not ALL down to NH.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

I tend to agree with this,this season I just don’t see our squad been has good has it has been in previous years I just think because neil Harris got us to play off’s last season and signing wilson put extra pressure on harris to gain promotion this season

Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:57 am

castleblue wrote:Easy for an ex player to "Talk the Talk" but lets face it there is no way that Ian Walsh will ever "Walk the Walk" as a football Manager. Many so called experts said the same about Neil Warnock and that wasn't so bad. MM is cut of the same cloth as NW so he will more than do for me.

Having said that where our club need to learn a lesson is that on both occasions we have been relegated from the PL we have failed to keep the squad together, despite being in receipt of parachute payments. When we fail to get promoted straight back it's cut, cut and cut and that means the job gets even more difficult. What happened last summer is a good example of where our clubs biggest failure lies, get a yes man manager tell him to lower the average age of the squad, cut the wage bill and start signing unproven players from the lower leagues and tell the manager "We'll be disappointed if we are not in the top 6 by January". Switch NH for Russell Slade last time around but no lessons were learned from that because of the miracle achieved by Neil Warnock.

NH didn't help this season because he agreed to go with to small a squad in terms of numbers, to little in terms of quality and way to little tactical nous in the manager.

In MM we may well see another miracle as with NW but sadly the squad he has inherited from NH is nowhere near as good as the one NW inherited, and that is not ALL down to NH.

agree with most of that but not the inherited bit...we were awful prior to his arrival and most of those brought in during the summer lambert, huws , immers , jazz , gounongbe, amos and even ken ranged from terrible to disinterested to not available...we were going down... i thought Hoilett and Bamba along with Mcgregor a bit later made an enormous difference...

Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:41 am

thomasblue wrote:He has no idea what the plan is by the club. Just spouting rubbish.

The only thing we know for certain is we have appointed one of the most successful managers ever in the championship

Not sure what he means by same old either .

We tried these young highly rated managers in Solskjaer and Trollope and they failed here.

We went for experiance with Slade
Warnock and we were successful in different ways.

What did he want us to do ?
Take a gamble on a young manager with no experiance and risk our championship status

Mick is the right man st the right time and is a solid appointment by the club given the situation we are in.

Instead of him bashing the club straight away why not actually ask them the question of " What is the plan " .

Spot on :thumbup:

Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:27 am

pembroke allan wrote:

Why are you only counting since relegation? Since we started playing the way we play we have achieved 3 promotions, a major trophy, 7 seasons in the top flight, knockout stages of Europe and multiple top 10 Premier League finishes. Since relegation we consolidated the first season, got the the play offs the second season and are currently in the automatic positions in our third.

All the players we have sold have gone to service our overheads and bring in the right players to a point we are now essentially self sufficient again. :thumbright:

Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:35 am

pembroke allan wrote:
Never said was bad thing but how do you progress if a club sells it's best players? You did it in premiership and it cost you your place there..... financially who knows what either clubs position is I wouldn't give credit to the guesses on here as generally it's to make our owner look bad... yes we've got things wrong and by same token got it right .. your right about Instant success lasts but there again like said selling best players is not as strategy for building a club for promotion or success you've been doing it for years and are you better off? Still in championship and next season if no promotion lose ayew and Rowe plus other loanees because so you start again like previous seasons and get in another 5/6 under 23s to replace those gone back to clubs So seems to me neither strategy is perfect .

Selling players got us there and kept us there. Being relegated had nothing to do with selling players it was due to costs outstripping outlay and reaching a natural ceiling. Selling players has to form a clubs plan, both long term and short term plans, you simply cannot be successful without doing so. It’s key.

Bizarre you see selling players as a negative. Everyone sells their best players, from Man Utd (Ronaldo) to Liverpool (Coutinho) to Spurs (Bale) to Barca (Neymar). I think the only club in world football that doesn’t get players tempted elsewhere is Real Madrid. Each of the above sales has formed a key part in how those clubs progressed and invested in their futures.

It is even more prevalent for clubs outside the top 6. It needs to be a yearly thing where you are bringing players in to showcase and double or triple their value (Bony, Gylfi and Ayew) and reinvest. It’s how clubs grow.

Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:53 am

llan bluebird wrote:A plan or identity is all spin made up by journalists and bloggers trying to make a simple game appear a science.

As Mike Tyson once said everyone has a plan until you get punched in the face.

Southampton have always been touted as that medium sized club with "a plan" but they have ended up in L1.
I am sure Man U's had a post Fergie plan.
I am sure Liverpool never planned not to win the league for 30 years.
20 years ago Man citeh's plan was to wait until a sheik wants to burn a lot of his petro dollars and plan the perfect game.
Leeds had a plan for 20 years as well that included L1, as did Sheff United who had a build a top half premier team.....Oops.

Not having a go at the Jacks, but they are always our comparison, but we finished higher than them last season and half of their fan base hated Cooper last season.

If i had a choice of two teams in Cardiff I would have chosen the fast direct club rather than a backwards sideways passing scholars "right way" approach.

The difference between us and the Jacks is they choose and renowned coach and took a punt on his ability to manager and motivate the players. We chose someone who failed with "his" club without proving anything. Their gamble looks like it has paid off ours never.

It always looks a great plan when the gamble pays. That's it.

The jacks look for the New Managers to have contacts contacts, can they bring in loan players from big clubs?

Warnock and McCarthy will both have good contacts in the game and can attract decent Championship players.

Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:11 am

What you have to remember is, is that Walsh has the mindset of a blinkered one eyed jack and that will never change. It's similar to small man syndrome. So at any time if he has the chance to have a dig at us - he will do. Leighton Jones was the same. In fact most people from Swansea are like it.

He doesnt want us to copy them - he wants us to carry on as we are so he can vent his spleen on national radio about how good the Jacks are. It's a mentality in Swansea that I have encountered time and time again. They are different, they are special, the world is against them, Cardiff gets all the money etc etc. Walsh can continue to be the outspoken pundit to make a name for himself when in reality he is just making a t1t of himself (again).

Where Walsh is right though is the academy setup. Their's is much better run than ours and their scouting network has a record of success in getting kids in who then mature into 1st team players. Having said that the training facilities they use look like they are about to be sold off and the budget greatly reduced if they dont get promotion this season. Mainly thanks to the Yank owners who just seem to treat it as a cash cow. On the flip side we have Tan who is putting money in.

Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:31 am

Escott1927 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
Pulisnewport wrote:
thomasblue wrote:
Pulisnewport wrote:
thomasblue wrote:He has no idea what the plan is by the club. Just spouting rubbish.

The only thing we know for certain is we have appointed one of the most successful managers ever in the championship

Not sure what he means by same old either .

We tried these young highly rated managers in Solskjaer and Trollope and they failed here.

We went for experiance with Slade
Warnock and we were successful in different ways.

What did he want us to do ?
Take a gamble on a young manager with no experiance and risk our championship status

Mick is the right man st the right time and is a solid appointment by the club given the situation we are in.

Instead of him bashing the club straight away why not actually ask them the question of " What is the plan " .

I think his question is right! Where are we going!

That lot down the road were having a bad time brought Cooper in and now look at them! His ideas and connections bringing in young hungry players have proved fruitful.

We seem to lurch from one thing to another.

MM was brought in to steady the ship and hopefully he will do that but looking at the future he’s not the answer.

We all know the answer a lot of the older overpaid players need moving out and someone in that can identify young talent that can play now whatever age and not in 3-5 yrs time.

Are we likely to do that I don’t think so because the people at the club can’t see it so how will it change.

I would say his record in this league tells us where we are going.

Two promotions
Two championships
Multiple play off finishes

Hes a solid manager

Every club has the same question

Whoever we had signed we would have the same question

The boards goal is to achieve promotion within a sustainable budget not just go for it at any cost and end up like Derby or Sunderland

Isn’t that what Swansea are doing?

What are they doing that’s right and we don’t?

Maybe because we think we are the Capitol club and the bigger club we can do as we please!

Karl,

We are in a mess and a yo yo team . No future planned , big debt and a committee all over the place.
And fans now divided again.

We are not in a mess at all
The team was performing badly due to a poor manager not doing his job , that has been addressed by him being replaced by a successful manager.

Whats wrong with being a yo yo team ? Thag means we are being successful as we are gaining promotions.
Its very very hard to establish and stay in the premier league the difference in quality is huge and takes massive investment and luck to achieve. We haven't had that luck either time.

Nobody but the board know the plan going forward with Mick at the moment.

The committee has been the same for a number of seasons and have made as many good decisions as bad ones. Nobody has a crystal ball and can get every decision right.

The debt is being dealt with and is serviceable. When was the last time it caused us any issues or dictated what happens on the pitch ?

I'm not sure why people point at Swansea either as a example , the model they follow got them relegated aswell and are now in the same league as us. Brentford are the same , the amazing model they follow has got them ZERO

Brentford play nice attacking football, they buy cheap and sell for big profit which they reinvest in the squad. They have been chasing automatic promotion for a few seasons. Why wouldn't you want to be like that?

They got rid of their youth system and use the transfer market well, using player data, it seems a good model to me and much lower cost, other clubs are already copying a lot of what they do.

Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:38 am

ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:What you have to remember is, is that Walsh has the mindset of a blinkered one eyed jack and that will never change. It's similar to small man syndrome. So at any time if he has the chance to have a dig at us - he will do. Leighton Jones was the same. In fact most people from Swansea are like it.

He doesnt want us to copy them - he wants us to carry on as we are so he can vent his spleen on national radio about how good the Jacks are. It's a mentality in Swansea that I have encountered time and time again. They are different, they are special, the world is against them, Cardiff gets all the money etc etc. Walsh can continue to be the outspoken pundit to make a name for himself when in reality he is just making a t1t of himself (again).

Where Walsh is right though is the academy setup. Their's is much better run than ours and their scouting network has a record of success in getting kids in who then mature into 1st team players. Having said that the training facilities they use look like they are about to be sold off and the budget greatly reduced if they dont get promotion this season. Mainly thanks to the Yank owners who just seem to treat it as a cash cow. On the flip side we have Tan who is putting money in.

What you believe is what you believe it doesn't necessarily mean its true. I as a supporter of the Club have no idea whether the training facilities will be sold off , down graded yes but sold ? only those in the know will be able to answer that .
How will the budget be greatly reduced if we don't get promoted we haven't got the PL money now so how will it be less next season? The Yanks see it as a cash cow , there's nothing recorded that they've taken money from the Club with no dividends been paid so how you know this to be true ?
Walsh is favourable to the Swans so what, all clubs even including yours have former players etc extolling the virtues or offering opinions of a particular club , that's what they do for a living. Yes Tan is putting money in but he's no saintly benefactor , he'll want his money back as any business man would.

Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:18 am

Bluebina wrote:

They got rid of their youth system and use the transfer market well, using player data, it seems a good model to me and much lower cost, other clubs are already copying a lot of what they do.

We didn’t get rid of our youth system, we downgraded from Category 1 status after 2-3 years of having it, it’s now back to what it was before. As for data, that was when the Americans first took over, it didn’t work out to well. It was the Moneyball guy.

Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:35 am

skidemin wrote:

agree with most of that but not the inherited bit...we were awful prior to his arrival and most of those brought in during the summer lambert, huws , immers , jazz , gounongbe, amos and even ken ranged from terrible to disinterested to not available...we were going down... i thought Hoilett and Bamba along with Mcgregor a bit later made an enormous difference...

I agree but NW still inherited Morrison, Manga, Peltier, Bennett, Whittingham, Gunnarsonn, Ralls, Pilkington and Noone. For me Nelson for Manga is not an upgrade and there is nothing in our midfield to worry Whittingham and Gunnarsonn. Adding Bamba and Hoilett did make a huge difference to the team but overall I believe NW inherited a better squad in terms of quality.

Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:45 am

Doctor wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

We didn’t get rid of our youth system, we downgraded from Category 1 status after 2-3 years of having it, it’s now back to what it was before. As for data, that was when the Americans first took over, it didn’t work out to well. It was the Moneyball guy.

We are talking about Brentford, dick head.

Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:33 am

Had to turn off the phone in after listening to Gilo. That bloke has not a clue. Saying the players are the most important and not the Manager! How many league titles have Man U won since Fergie left.

Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:36 am

Brentford play nice attacking football, they buy cheap and sell for big profit which they reinvest in the squad. They have been chasing automatic promotion for a few seasons. Why wouldn't you want to be like that?[/quote]

They got rid of their youth system and use the transfer market well, using player data, it seems a good model to me and much lower cost, other clubs are already copying a lot of what they do.[/quote]

Brentford have done brilliantly the last few years and just shows what can be achieved when a well thought out plan is implemented and stuck to. Just because they haven't been promoted doesn't mean they havnt been successful.

Its very naive of fans on here to think we are not a selling club. We are, we just don't have anyone that will attract big money. If decent money came in for anyone, they would be off. I'm not saying we have but if we happened to have unearth a gem in watters - and he bangs in 8-10 goals this season and 15-20 next season (wishful thinking) - and a prem team comes in for him for £15mill, no doubt he would be sold. Players sales are the only way to remain sustainable. Otherwise you're relying on owners to put their own money into the club which builds up debt. Id love to be in a situation where we were selling players for 15-20mill. We'd probably have to sell our starting 11 to get that.

Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:17 pm

Escott1927 wrote:
Doctor wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Good for you.

I’m not. :thumbright:

Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:51 pm

Doctor wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
Doctor wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Good for you.

Totally irrelevant to what anybody said. Clearly didn't read the thread.

Nice one, dick head.

Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:28 pm

Escott1927 wrote:
Doctor wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
Doctor wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Good for you.

Nice one, dick head.

I thought king dickhead was only commenting on jack threads these days,wishful thinking I guess!!!!!

Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:28 pm

Escott1927 wrote:
Doctor wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:
Doctor wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Good for you.

Nice one, dick head.

I thought king dickhead was only commenting on jack threads these days,wishful thinking I guess!!!!!

Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:39 pm

Bluebina wrote:
llan bluebird wrote:A plan or identity is all spin made up by journalists and bloggers trying to make a simple game appear a science.

Southampton have always been touted as that medium sized club with "a plan" but they have ended up in L1.
20 years ago Man citeh's plan was to wait until a sheik wants to burn a lot of his petro dollars and plan the perfect game.
Leeds had a plan for 20 years as well that included L1, as did Sheff United who had a build a top half premier team.....Oops.

Not having a go at the Jacks, but they are always our comparison, but we finished higher than them last season and half of their fan base hated Cooper last season.

If i had a choice of two teams in Cardiff I would have chosen the fast direct club rather than a backwards sideways passing scholars "right way" approach.

The difference between us and the Jacks is they choose and renowned coach and took a punt on his ability to manager and motivate the players. We chose someone who failed with "his" club without proving anything. Their gamble looks like it has paid off ours never.

The jacks look for the New Managers to have contacts contacts, can they bring in loan players from big clubs?

Warnock and McCarthy will both have good contacts in the game and can attract decent Championship players.

I reckon success is 75% recruitment and 25% 'coaching'. For 15 years since Swansea started developing their scouting/recruitment network they've usually appointed managers who have contacts throughout the game to compliment the system. Cooper managed England's under 17's to World Cup success and had worked with Liverpool's Academy. He's got contacts like an octopus. Then they sign the USA player Jordan Morris from Seattle Sounders - you know he won't be a mug, but we just don't have that level of know how in the club. It will take years to attain. But yes, McCarthy - like Warnock - will have good contacts and will be able to attract players from a broader selection that Harris.

Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:52 pm

A Quiet Monkfish wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

I reckon success is 75% recruitment and 25% 'coaching'. For 15 years since Swansea started developing their scouting/recruitment network they've usually appointed managers who have contacts throughout the game to compliment the system. Cooper managed England's under 17's to World Cup success and had worked with Liverpool's Academy. He's got contacts like an octopus. Then they sign the USA player Jordan Morris from Seattle Sounders - you know he won't be a mug, but we just don't have that level of know how in the club. It will take years to attain. But yes, McCarthy - like Warnock - will have good contacts and will be able to attract players from a broader selection that Harris.

Swansea have got plenty of both managers and players wrong.... this idea they have some masterplan that runs seemless is just not true... the year they got relegated they had sent £62 million pounds worth of flops out on loan and changed manager mid season...changed manager twice the previous season...9 in all during their prem stint...as has their academy seen may changes.... not that its the picture thats painted by them on here....

Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:09 am

Sorry, Ian Walsh; I'm warming to Mick McCarthy and I'm thinking he could be the breath of fresh air we need at this club right now and I feel he will sort the wheat from the chaff in our playing squad ahead of the summer :clap:

Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:59 am

Sven wrote:Sorry, Ian Walsh; I'm warming to Mick McCarthy and I'm thinking he could be the breath of fresh air we need at this club right now and I feel he will sort the wheat from the chaff in our playing squad ahead of the summer :clap:

Chris,

I told you you’d be happy.

Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:11 am

skidemin wrote:
A Quiet Monkfish wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

Swansea have got plenty of both managers and players wrong.... this idea they have some masterplan that runs seemless is just not true... the year they got relegated they had sent £62 million pounds worth of flops out on loan and changed manager mid season...changed manager twice the previous season...9 in all during their prem stint...as has their academy seen may changes.... not that its the picture thats painted by them on here....

... which all then proved to be the correct decisions and correct way to handle them (players).

As for managers we were stable manager wise, each and every one bringing and added element to the club until we made the mistake of appointing Bob Bradley and offering Guidolin a new contract when Brendan Rodgers was ready to return. After that we struggled to find the right fit for 2 seasons hence the number of changes but nobody outstayed their welcome and we pulled the trigger and hired at the right times.

That has continued into the Championship with both Cooper and Potter continuing to fit the Swansea mould.