Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Gaming PC Spec and Advice

Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:49 pm

Trying to build up a spec on a PC to be used for gaming for my son. So far Ive worked I need :
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 processor
NVIDIA GTX 1660 graphics card

Need an FPS level minimum of 130 in game

Need some advice on what motherboard to get. Is the above spec sufficient ? Opinions please.
ps if you have parts to sell definitely get in touch

Re: Gaming PC Spec and Advice

Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:28 pm

ReesWestonSuperMare wrote:Trying to build up a spec on a PC to be used for gaming for my son. So far Ive worked I need :
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 processor
NVIDIA GTX 1660 graphics card

Need an FPS level minimum of 130 in game

Need some advice on what motherboard to get. Is the above spec sufficient ? Opinions please.
ps if you have parts to sell definitely get in touch

I used to love playing that ping pong game, asteroids and space invaders. I still excel at Pacman if that's any help?

:thumbup:

Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:44 am

any idea what games he likes to play? 1660 is a decent card for 1080p gaming but achieving 130fps would be impossible in many popular titles. cpu is fine choice, a b550 motherboard made by msi would go perfect with it. do you also have a monitor that can output 144hz?

Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:01 am

bluebadger wrote:any idea what games he likes to play? 1660 is a decent card for 1080p gaming but achieving 130fps would be impossible in many popular titles. cpu is fine choice, a b550 motherboard made by msi would go perfect with it. do you also have a monitor that can output 144hz?

Thanks for getting back.
He mainly plays fortnite and black ops / call of duty.
Funnily enough I was looking at that b550 MB last night. He's mentioned he would like a 144hz monitor. Which is a pain in the neck as he just had a 32 inch 1080p TV / monitor for xmas a philips 32pfs6855/12 (but 60hz not 144hz).

Apart from the graphics card - I'll probably be looking to get most of it second hand I think. I used to build PCs a long time ago but these days it's more networks / software type work

Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:16 pm

You really want to be looking at one of the 30xx series cards they are a big step up

Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:26 pm

Processors aren't really all that unless you are going high spec.

I got the gtx 1660 super (great card) and I got a 15 year old processor. If its for gaming it's not really the be all and end all.
With that being said. Getting about 100 FPS on 1080p for most games. Also runs most games on max settings but obviously at a loss of FPS. But then I'm getting above console FPS still (xbox one ps4)

With that being said. On my next upgrade it will for sure hold my next graphics card back.

Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:26 pm

Hi I got my son this 144mhz monitor for Xmas, he loves it

Iiyama G-Master GB2760QSU 280 quid and it does 144MHZ