Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

That’s the way Big Mick “ Our Fans will love it “

Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:23 pm

I personally had a message of one of the coaching staff saying after Big Mick left, the players were buzzing and the atmosphere has not been like that for months :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Big Mick in training yesterday never stopped :

Great to see, he was shouting at the players

“Follow it. Go get the bits and pieces. Don't just stand there and say 'oh I hope he scores'."

He even shouts at one point: "If the ball is here and you're chasing it, I don't need anybody stood in that half."

That will encourage the fans who feel Neil Harris sometimes set up his team too deep, they didn't get forward quickly enough and the front men were left isolated and outnumbered at times.

With a player so dominant in the air as Kieffer Moore, one could argue there's potentially a lot of joy in the second ball for Cardiff, and clearly the new boss feels his team need to do more to support in dangerous positions.

McCarthy similarly tells his wingers they can do a bit more to stretch defenders, a frequent criticism highlighted over the last few weeks, with City often accused of not imposing their own game upon teams.

Later on in the session, McCarthy stresses the importance of 'shifting' defenders in order to try and find a pass, going beyond the full-back to get crosses in.

It's encouraging to see, as these are the elements to attacking football that have been lacking recently.

:bluebird: A real buzz in training :bluebird:

One of the first things to notice is the upbeat mood within the camp under the new boss.

Six defeats on the bounce is bound to drain the confidence of a side and lifting the morale of this team will be another early challenge.

But the players already seem galvanised by McCarthy's encouragement.

"Keep encouraging each other," he tells his players at one point. "Don't be too disappointed with one another, keep encouraging each other to do it better."

Team spirit was there in abundance during the days of fellow Yorkshireman and 'old mate' Neil Warnock. It helped create a side that was worth more than the sum of its parts.

This team is arguably better in terms of technical ability, but the togetherness in the dressing room seemingly faded towards the end of Harris' tenure,

McCarthy obviously has his own ethos and style, but at the same time he knows that the players have to be trusted to start taking some responsibility themselves and many are seemingly willing to take that lesson on board.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: That’s the way Big Mick:

Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:25 pm

The no commitment player gonna be quickly found out.

Re: That’s the way Big Mick “ Our Fans will love it “

Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:29 pm

Annis, do you think Neil Warnock played any part in the appointment? Do you think Dalman would have reached out and Warnock said go and get Mick?

Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:36 pm

I will love it when we play with passion, win or lose that's all I expect. :bluebird:

Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:04 pm

I want to see attacking football. I don't care if it is direct or very direct. As long as we are good at it.

Far too many times were we guilty of slowly unconfidently passing sideways between Pack and the back four only for Nelson it hit it into the stands or \Morrison to their keeper.

How many time has Ralls run beyond the striker ? Not for a very long time and that should be his game. Hopefully Micjk will release the brakes

Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:22 pm

Great to hear :bluescarf:

Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:33 pm

I think alot of us would love to see City play free flowing football and play teams off the park but we've got this tag of bully boys and hoof ball, "physical Cardiff side" etc so why not play to our strengths.

Under Harris this season I really didn't know what we were. We certainly didn't bully any sides, we didn't play any teams off the park either it was all a bit go out there and hope for the best.

Big Mick said in his interview he hated coming here as an opposition manager, the fans, the style of football, you knew you had to work your bollocks off to come away with anything from Cardiff.

Under Harris our home record was appalling. Let's embrace what we are. If we win 1-0 and kick the team off the park I personally don't give a shit at the moment.

I hope we get back to that horrible side to play against and have all the opposition fans moaning about our football.

Eventually I would like us to appoint a Bellamy who I believe would want us to play a different style and play teams off the park but for now I think Mick is exactly what we need.

Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:56 pm

Great to hear :thumbright:

One thing is certain and that's that Mick won't take any shit from the players or the media :bluebird:

Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:21 pm

I will admit that I was hugely disappointed when we appointed MM but a few days in I can probably see why they did it

I’m not convinced yet until I actually see major improvement on the pitch, but all the best Mick and I genuinely hope you can sort out this underperforming team

Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:19 pm

He will do ok

Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:31 pm

You know what the more I think about it the more I have to say this was a great appointment. He is a man manager, motivator and knows this league inside out. Also as it’s short term currently if it doesn’t go brilliantly we can shake hands get someone else I’m the summer with a bit more time to plan. No way we’ll go down with big mick so let’s see how far he can take us

Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:18 pm

Christ a few quotes and completely different change of tone in here haha

Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:59 am

llan bluebird wrote:I want to see attacking football. I don't care if it is direct or very direct. As long as we are good at it.

Far too many times were we guilty of slowly unconfidently passing sideways between Pack and the back four only for Nelson it hit it into the stands or \Morrison to their keeper.

How many time has Ralls run beyond the striker ? Not for a very long time and that should be his game. Hopefully Micjk will release the brakes

Agreed :thumbup:

Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:00 am

Forever Blue wrote:I personally had a message of one of the coaching staff saying after Big Mick left, the players were buzzing and the atmosphere has not been like that for months :thumbright: :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Big Mick in training yesterday never stopped :

Great to see, he was shouting at the players

“Follow it. Go get the bits and pieces. Don't just stand there and say 'oh I hope he scores'."

He even shouts at one point: "If the ball is here and you're chasing it, I don't need anybody stood in that half."

That will encourage the fans who feel Neil Harris sometimes set up his team too deep, they didn't get forward quickly enough and the front men were left isolated and outnumbered at times.

With a player so dominant in the air as Kieffer Moore, one could argue there's potentially a lot of joy in the second ball for Cardiff, and clearly the new boss feels his team need to do more to support in dangerous positions.

McCarthy similarly tells his wingers they can do a bit more to stretch defenders, a frequent criticism highlighted over the last few weeks, with City often accused of not imposing their own game upon teams.

Later on in the session, McCarthy stresses the importance of 'shifting' defenders in order to try and find a pass, going beyond the full-back to get crosses in.

It's encouraging to see, as these are the elements to attacking football that have been lacking recently.

:bluebird: A real buzz in training :bluebird:

One of the first things to notice is the upbeat mood within the camp under the new boss.

Six defeats on the bounce is bound to drain the confidence of a side and lifting the morale of this team will be another early challenge.

But the players already seem galvanised by McCarthy's encouragement.

"Keep encouraging each other," he tells his players at one point. "Don't be too disappointed with one another, keep encouraging each other to do it better."

Team spirit was there in abundance during the days of fellow Yorkshireman and 'old mate' Neil Warnock. It helped create a side that was worth more than the sum of its parts.

This team is arguably better in terms of technical ability, but the togetherness in the dressing room seemingly faded towards the end of Harris' tenure,

McCarthy obviously has his own ethos and style, but at the same time he knows that the players have to be trusted to start taking some responsibility themselves and many are seemingly willing to take that lesson on board.

I watched the training video, he didn't stop, he will give them the kick up the arse they need :thumbup: