Updated " Referee appears to nearly headbutt footballer "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby worcester_ccfc » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:25 pm

Referee has been charged by the FA for appearing to nearly headbutt a footballer.

Darren Drysdale was involved in a confrontation with Alan Judge in the closing stages of Tuesday's game.

Updated

Sky Sports

Referee Darren Drysdale has been charged by the FA with improper conduct after squaring up to and pressing heads against Ipswich Town's Alan Judge in their 0-0 draw with Northampton.

Drysdale and Judge exchanged words in the 90th minute after the midfielder's appeal for a penalty had been turned down before the 49-year-old Lincolnshire official leant into Judge.

Ipswich pair Flynn Downes and Jack Lankester and Northampton defender Lloyd Jones stepped in and calmed the situation before Drysdale booked Judge.

Drysdale apologised for the incident on Wednesday, saying: "I fully understand that it is important for us as referees to maintain our composure throughout the game and always engage with players in a professional manner."

In a statement, the FA said: "Darren Drysdale has been charged with a breach of FA Rule E3 following last night's EFL League One game between Ipswich Town FC and Northampton Town FC.

"It is alleged that the match official's behaviour during the 90th minute of the game amounts to improper conduct and he has until Thursday 4 March 2021 to provide a response."

Speaking after the game, Ipswich boss Paul Lambert had urged the FA to "do the right thing" in its handling of the incident and confirmed that he had spoken to Mike Jones (head of EFL referees) regarding it.

"I think the apology is very soft - it's easy to say sorry after the event," Lambert told Sky Sports News. "What happened was incredible, I've never seen that, for a referee to go head-to-head with a player.

"He had to get pulled away by the Northampton players and at that time he's out of control. What would have happened to Alan Judge if he'd done that to the referee? He'd have been looking at a six-month ban, a one-year ban and a massive fine."

Drysdale, who was appointed to the National List of referees covering EFL games in 2004, has also been a FIFA and UEFA assistant referee and was an assistant referee at the 2000 FA Cup final.

Former Premier League referee Dermot Gallagher said Drysdale made the crucial mistake of losing his calmness and composure - something all referees must always have.

"It's great that he's apologised, that's first class and it acknowledges that he lost his composure for a few seconds on the pitch," he said.

"It will take its course now. I don't know what was said - it's unusual for a referee to react like that and you have to commend the players for what they did, they defused it very quickly.

"It's interesting that the few times referees get in trouble, the players always pull together to look after them if they get injured or whatever. The players were absolutely excellent in this situation.

"No matter how heated it gets, you still have to maintain this little bit of distance and stay calm, that's the be-all and end-all for referees because if you're composed that's when you make good decisions.

"It's tough at times, it's the nature of the beast. You know it's not going to be a walk in the park. The tough times come and you have to deal with them."

Updated

BBC Sport

Referee Darren Drysdale locked heads with Ipswich midfielder Alan Judge in an extraordinary exchange during their goalless League One draw with Northampton.

The official moved his head towards the Irishman in the final moments of the match and then briefly appeared to square up to the 32-year-old, before being ushered away by Northampton's Lloyd Jones.

Judge, who had protested after being penalised for simulation, was then shown a yellow card, the fifth booking of the match.

In the third minute of stoppage time, Town's Flynn Downes was sent off for violent conduct in an ugly end to the match.

Lowly Northampton defied the odds to secure a draw, but will be frustrated they only came away with one point instead of all three.

It lifted the Cobblers up two places, but they remain inside the relegation zone on goal difference. Ipswich, who finished with 10 men, moved up a place to 11th but are four points off the top six.

Ipswich keeper Tomas Holy had to gather a shot from Sam Hoskins and then hack clear after Troy Parrott's loose pass was seized on by Mark Marshall.

Holy smothered Jack Sowerby's effort and Luke Matheson blocked an effort by Hoskins while, with the half drawing to a close, Peter Kioso hit the post and Marshall pulled his shot wide.

James Norwood, who came on as a 71st-minute replacement for Ipswich, forced Northampton keeper Jonathan Mitchell into his first save of the game and to heap further misery on a woeful Ipswich, Flynn Downes was sent off in stoppage time after getting a second yellow card.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: " Referee appears to nearly headbutt footballer "

Postby Sven » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:41 am

I saw this on Sky Sports News and it was an odd one to say the least

I'm not too sure there was any real intent but he (the Ref) certainly put himself in a position

Ipswich have said they won't (excuse the pun) be pushing it and will leave any investigation and/or possible sanctions to the EFL
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Barclay1 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:25 am

Sven wrote:I saw this on Sky Sports News and it was an odd one to say the least

I'm not too sure there was any real intent but he (the Ref) certainly put himself in a position

Ipswich have said they won't (excuse the pun) be pushing it and will leave any investigation and/or possible sanctions to the EFL

Agree with all of this. No intent, but ref stepped into the players space, which in itself oversteps the mark. At that point he's in a no win situation, whether he backs off or shows aggression.

His quick yellow diffused the situation somewhat.

I actually don't think Drysdale is a bad ref, so surprising from him.
1st Game 24th Nov 1973 City v Bolton 1-0 (Gil Reece)
Barclay1

Postby Nuclearblue » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:54 am

Sven wrote:I saw this on Sky Sports News and it was an odd one to say the least

Haven’t seen it Chris but he then booked the player ? Hmm should of booked himself by the sounds of it as he was the aggressor.
Nuclearblue

Postby Igovernor » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:27 am

[quote="Sven"]I saw this on Sky Sports News and it was an odd one to say the least

Chris this is the screen shot, no idea what it looked like in the video clip, but this certainly looks bad from the referee apparantly players had to pull him back :banghead:

0_Screen-Shot-2021-02-16-at-214407.png
0_Screen-Shot-2021-02-16-at-214407.png (451.38 KiB) Viewed 2728 times
Igovernor

Postby Paul Keevil » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:02 pm

The very fact that we are discussing this, and its all over the news, suggests he has brought the game into disrepute - and that is an absolute minimum.

Ive been a referee, in the Welsh League years ago, and its no easy task. But as a referee you should never get yourself into this position. As a player he would be given at least a yellow but (subject to closer scrutiny) this looks like a red to me.

I think he will be asked to step down for the rest of the season.
Looking for a Photographer?

Accredited Champions League, Premiership and FL Photographer
Cover RL, RU, Motorsport etc
Accredited - 2012 Olympic Games
Attend "Celebrity Events" - papping
Weddings & Porfolio Work
Paul Keevil

Postby skidemin » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:54 pm

skidemin

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:12 pm

Efl investigation into incident :old:
pembroke allan

Postby TopCat CCFC » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:42 pm

The ref has said - Basically he lost the plot ( or words he used ) - Been all over SKY today .
TopCat CCFC

Re: Updated " Referee appears to nearly headbutt footballer

Postby worcester_ccfc » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:58 am

He's been charged now.

Sky Sports

Referee Darren Drysdale has been charged by the FA with improper conduct after squaring up to and pressing heads against Ipswich Town's Alan Judge in their 0-0 draw with Northampton.

Drysdale and Judge exchanged words in the 90th minute after the midfielder's appeal for a penalty had been turned down before the 49-year-old Lincolnshire official leant into Judge.

Ipswich pair Flynn Downes and Jack Lankester and Northampton defender Lloyd Jones stepped in and calmed the situation before Drysdale booked Judge.

Drysdale apologised for the incident on Wednesday, saying: "I fully understand that it is important for us as referees to maintain our composure throughout the game and always engage with players in a professional manner."

In a statement, the FA said: "Darren Drysdale has been charged with a breach of FA Rule E3 following last night's EFL League One game between Ipswich Town FC and Northampton Town FC.

"It is alleged that the match official's behaviour during the 90th minute of the game amounts to improper conduct and he has until Thursday 4 March 2021 to provide a response."

Speaking after the game, Ipswich boss Paul Lambert had urged the FA to "do the right thing" in its handling of the incident and confirmed that he had spoken to Mike Jones (head of EFL referees) regarding it.

"I think the apology is very soft - it's easy to say sorry after the event," Lambert told Sky Sports News. "What happened was incredible, I've never seen that, for a referee to go head-to-head with a player.

"He had to get pulled away by the Northampton players and at that time he's out of control. What would have happened to Alan Judge if he'd done that to the referee? He'd have been looking at a six-month ban, a one-year ban and a massive fine."

Drysdale, who was appointed to the National List of referees covering EFL games in 2004, has also been a FIFA and UEFA assistant referee and was an assistant referee at the 2000 FA Cup final.

Former Premier League referee Dermot Gallagher said Drysdale made the crucial mistake of losing his calmness and composure - something all referees must always have.

"It's great that he's apologised, that's first class and it acknowledges that he lost his composure for a few seconds on the pitch," he said.

"It will take its course now. I don't know what was said - it's unusual for a referee to react like that and you have to commend the players for what they did, they defused it very quickly.

"It's interesting that the few times referees get in trouble, the players always pull together to look after them if they get injured or whatever. The players were absolutely excellent in this situation.

"No matter how heated it gets, you still have to maintain this little bit of distance and stay calm, that's the be-all and end-all for referees because if you're composed that's when you make good decisions.

"It's tough at times, it's the nature of the beast. You know it's not going to be a walk in the park. The tough times come and you have to deal with them."
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby llan bluebird » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:44 am

I hope nothing really happens to him. It pisses me off the way footballers behave, diving, faking injuries, effing and jeffing at the ref quite aggressively.

The ref was a big unit who looked physically fit not some middle-aged potbelly bloke. I doubt the player would have said anything to him in a pub or street. They are pampered petulant brats.
llan bluebird

Postby mucker » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:23 am

Remember John Prescott lamping a bloke that threw an egg at him .Best political statement ever.People think they can have a go at authority figures with impunity.Sure the ref should have been above retaliation but he is only human and I get p@@sed off seeing some prima donna footballers acting the big I am knowing their mates are around should things turn ugly.Train Nigel Owens up as a footy ref.He once said to players who squats up “were not soccer players”.Class
mucker

Postby skidemin » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:02 pm

mucker wrote:Remember John Prescott lamping a bloke that threw an egg at him .Best political statement ever.People think they can have a go at authority figures with impunity.Sure the ref should have been above retaliation but he is only human and I get p@@sed off seeing some prima donna footballers acting the big I am knowing their mates are around should things turn ugly.Train Nigel Owens up as a footy ref.He once said to players who squats up “were not soccer players”.Class

:? nigel owens ? :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5:
skidemin

Postby TopCat CCFC » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:59 pm

I see that they have given him a day off this weekend .
TopCat CCFC

Return to General Chat