Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

football combination league

Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:14 pm

looking through some old programmes i noticed cardiff reserves played in the combination league...did anyone go to these games? what sort of crowd did they get?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Football_Combination

Re: football combination league

Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:24 pm

blue note wrote:looking through some old programmes i noticed cardiff reserves played in the combination league...did anyone go to these games? what sort of crowd did they get?

It depended on what players played? Some of bigger games between local rivals had 20k+ and some players attracted big crowds...also depends how far you go back

Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:31 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
blue note wrote:looking through some old programmes i noticed cardiff reserves played in the combination league...did anyone go to these games? what sort of crowd did they get?

It depended on what players played? Some of bigger games between local rivals had 20k+ and some players attracted big crowds...also depends how far you go back

:shock: when did we get 20k for a combination game... we went about 30 years without getting that many in for first team matches..

Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:46 pm

Whenever I went down it was only ever a few hundred.

Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:55 pm

skidemin wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

:shock: when did we get 20k for a combination game... we went about 30 years without getting that many in for first team matches..

Was generalizing about the actual league not city in particular. Hence big local rivals and some big names attracted thousands yo a gamein the league. :thumbup:

Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:11 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:Whenever I went down it was only ever a few hundred.

think that was the first team in the late 80s early 90s mate....

Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:59 pm

With the old style season tickets you'd get a little book with all the tickets for first team and combination games included. It was a regionally based league and I used to like to go now and again but generally against the bigger London clubs. It was a chance to see first team players returning from injury like Hoddle or Brooking etc. Never really more than 5/600 there. Not many were interested when we played likes of Orient or Swindon etc.

Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:48 pm

Yes, they came as free entry for (then voucher book) season ticket holders. You'd be told just before which voucher to use

As a shift worker back then, I went to a lot over many years and enjoyed them, too. Seemed very competitive at the time, which was good for getting players back into the first team, too

Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:01 pm

Fairblue27 wrote:With the old style season tickets you'd get a little book with all the tickets for first team and combination games included. It was a regionally based league and I used to like to go now and again but generally against the bigger London clubs. It was a chance to see first team players returning from injury like Hoddle or Brooking etc. Never really more than 5/600 there. Not many were interested when we played likes of Orient or Swindon etc.

I remember those little booklets too. Didn’t they have FA cup vouchers in the back too? May be mistaken though as it was late 70s. :old:

Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:23 am

Bloody hell, just realised you didn't mean the Cardiff Combination! 20k at a game against BTD Stars or Avenue Hotspur??

Thought you were on something then mate!

Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:41 am

You might have seen a thousand or so for the arsenal or spurs games, especially if they had stars returning from injury.
Mostly a few hundred though.

Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:24 pm

bluebirdoct1962 wrote:
Fairblue27 wrote:With the old style season tickets you'd get a little book with all the tickets for first team and combination games included. It was a regionally based league and I used to like to go now and again but generally against the bigger London clubs. It was a chance to see first team players returning from injury like Hoddle or Brooking etc. Never really more than 5/600 there. Not many were interested when we played likes of Orient or Swindon etc.

I remember those little booklets too. Didn’t they have FA cup vouchers in the back too? May be mistaken though as it was late 70s. :old:

Yes that's right they had numbered cup vouchers in the back of the book. Other than 1977 when we were drawn at home for 3 consecutive rounds they didn't get used much as we never seemed to do well in the cups.

Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:38 pm

Fairblue27 wrote:
bluebirdoct1962 wrote:

Yes that's right they had numbered cup vouchers in the back of the book. Other than 1977 when we were drawn at home for 3 consecutive rounds they didn't get used much as we never seemed to do well in the cups.

That Cup run was one of the best ever for me...

City 1 - 0 Spurs (Attendance: 27,868)
Goal: Peter Sayer

City 3 - 2 Wrexham (Attendance: 28,953)
Goals: David Giles, Peter Sayer, John Buchanan

City 1 - 2 Everton (Attendance: 35,582)
Goal: Tony Evans

John 'Exocet' Buchanan's 90th minute winner (v Wrexham) was without shadow one of the best last minute goals ever witnessed at the old Ninian Park. Boy, could he strike a ball...and hard! :clap: :notworthy:

Halcyon days indeed and why I loved the bluebirds then and love them to this day... :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird: :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:55 pm

I wonder what John Buchannan would be worth in this day and age?
Just looked at his stats for us Played 231 games and scored 54 times. Fantastic return from a midfielder and scored some memorable goals for the city.

That last minute cup winner against Wrexham after they just equalised always stays in the memory. Plus a hat trick against Sheffield United which was something special.

And not forgetting his screamer against the jacks.