Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

"We were joking with Vaulksy,"

Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:57 pm

MICK McCARTHY:

"We were joking with Vaulksy," McCarthy said as a smile appeared on his face.

"Someone said it was a real bit of quality, I said 'what, the somersault was quality?!’ I was going to fine him for that!

"Someone said they were surprised to see it. I said, 'the quality of the somersault or the quality of the volley?' So we have been ribbing him a little bit.

"He’s been brilliant, Vaulksy, I have to say. The job he does in that midfield, the energy he gives us.

"And he has a real leadership, without being captain, a real leadership. Going and getting the ball, disturbing them. breaking it up and then giving it to Harry (Wilson) and all them.

"He’s been fabulous, he deserved that. I’m really pleased with him."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: "We were joking with Vaulksy,"

Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:29 pm

And that's how you' big' your players up and build confidence...! :occasion5: :clap: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:57 pm

Sven wrote:And that's how you' big' your players up and build confidence...! :occasion5: :clap: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Absolutely :bluebird: :D

Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:14 pm

Will Vaulks has had a really strange time at Cardiff.

Never really had a chance under Warnock and in my opinion unfairly blamed for a goal away at Reading when he was trying to cover for a left back who'd gone walkabout upfield.

Under Harris he was originally poor but when the season restarted after lockdown he was an excellent part of the team that got into the play offs.

I really hoped that he would kick on this season and establish himself in the midfield but up until Harris was sacked he had been really poor again. Now with Mick he's looking more like the player he was during the second half of last season.

Hopefully he'll go from strength to strength now as he does offer things which differ from our other midfielders.

Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:56 pm

davids wrote:Will Vaulks has had a really strange time at Cardiff.

Never really had a chance under Warnock and in my opinion unfairly blamed for a goal away at Reading when he was trying to cover for a left back who'd gone walkabout upfield.

Under Harris he was originally poor but when the season restarted after lockdown he was an excellent part of the team that got into the play offs.

I really hoped that he would kick on this season and establish himself in the midfield but up until Harris was sacked he had been really poor again. Now with Mick he's looking more like the player he was during the second half of last season.

Hopefully he'll go from strength to strength now as he does offer things which differ from our other midfielders.

the more i see him the better i like him
but he wasnt unfairly blamed mate take another look it was poor..

Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:31 pm

skidemin wrote:
davids wrote:Will Vaulks has had a really strange time at Cardiff.

the more i see him the better i like him
but he wasnt unfairly blamed mate take another look it was poor..

Perhaps I didn't put that correctly as I agree that the actual piece of defending for that goal was poor.

However, it seems that due to that one mistake he made when covering as a left back (the actual left back being nowhere to be seen at the time having gone walkabout as he often does) led to Warnock losing any confidence he may have had in Vaulks as a midfielder so he was being judged on a mistake he made whilst playing out of position.

If I remember Nelson made his debut in that game as a right back and I remember thinking that he struggled as it was obvious it was not a position he was comfortable with.

Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:55 pm

When he does that celebration I always think of Patterson trying to copy him at Barnsley away last season.