Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Latest on Joe Ledley '

Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:27 am

Former Wales, Celtic and Cardiff City midfielder training with Bristol Rovers with view to deal

Exclusive: Joe Ledley watched Bristol Rovers' 3-1 victory over Portsmouth from the stands on Tuesday as he trains with the Gas

Friday 19th February 2021

Ledley trained with Newport County and Cardiff last year, but neither decided to offer him a contract.

Joe Ledley is now training with Bristol Rovers.

Wales midfielder Joe Ledley is training with Bristol Rovers as both sides explore the possibility of a deal, Bristol Live understands.

Ledley watched from the East Stand at the Mem on Tuesday as Rovers beat Portsmouth 3-1.

The Gas have a free spot in their squad after injuries to Abu Ogogo and Josh Barrett since the January transfer window shut, and 34-year-old Ledley is a free agent after stint in Australia last year.

The central midfielder has enjoyed a fine career at domestic and international level, playing more than 200 games for boyhood club Cardiff City, winning three Scottish titles with Celtic and starting in the Euro 16 semi-final for his country.

Ledley has 77 caps for Wales, the last of which came in 2018.

No deal has been struck yet, with both parties assessing their options. Rovers, perhaps, have a more pressing need for attackers, but there is a dearth of quality out-of-contract options.

The injury to Ogogo, which threatens to end his season, leaves Ed Upson as the club's only veteran in the middle of the park and Ledley's vast experience – including a Premier League stint with Crystal Palace – would certainly prove handy as Rovers battle to avoid relegation.

But Ledley has not played since August 2020 after a spell with Newcastle Jets in the A-League came to an end. The Gas are running an eye over the former Derby County and Charlton Athletic holding midfielder to see if he can make an impact in the run in.

Ledley and his family are based in South Wales, and there is a feeling the move could be ideal for all parties should the 34-year-old prove his fitness. His presence and pedigree has been well received by the coaches and squad on the training ground.

Ahead of Saturday's visit to Gillingham, Rovers' caretaker manager and director of football Tommy Widdrington was asked if the club were still active in the free agent market.

Sam Nicholson of Bristol Rovers celebrates scoring his sides second goal of the game
The games are coming thick and fast for Bristol Rovers, and you won't miss a beat with our free newsletter.

All the latest news, views, interviews, gossip and analysis concerning the Gas, delivered straight to your inbox, every day at 12:00.

It's completely free and you can sign up HERE

"We’re exploring," he replied. "We keep trying to turn over rocks and find things that other people wouldn’t find, but that’s a difficult thing to do.

"With contacts and historical knowledge, we’re aware of one or two people who may be available to us, but it’s got to be the right fit.

"It’s an option we’ll keep open. If the managerial situation changes, then that person will have a say in that."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ' Latest on Joe Ledley '

Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:25 pm

Is Ledley better to have in the squad than Williams, or worse?

Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:28 pm

Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:Is Ledley better to have in the squad than Williams, or worse?

Completely different players so not the right comparison.

Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:53 pm

Ledley wasn’t that good taking penalties etc on soccer Saturday the other week. Gerwyn Price was better than him !

Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:38 pm

Reports today stating that "both parties were considering their options...."

Rovers are considering the 'value' of adding Joe to their squad at a time of need; whilst Joe is adding up the 'coin per minute' rate to see if it is worth his while to get out of his annual slumber ;)

Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:12 pm

I chat to Joe every now and again but he hasn’t said anything about this.
I’ll ask him what’s the score when I see him next :laughing6:

Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:14 pm

Sven wrote:Reports today stating that "both parties were considering their options...."

Rovers are considering the 'value' of adding Joe to their squad at a time of need; whilst Joe is adding up the 'coin per minute' rate to see if it is worth his while to get out of his annual slumber ;)

Chris, I think Joe would take any club now if they would have him.

Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:21 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
Sven wrote:Reports today stating that "both parties were considering their options...."

Chris, I think Joe would take any club now if they would have him.

Annis, I'm sure he would; just so long as it isn't THIS club... :(

Just my opinion, of course, but it could have been so, so different... :cry: