Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Penalties... your thoughts?

Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:09 am

Morrison? No ( cos I still don't know what it was given for)

Wilson? No, shoulder to shoulder, guy had lost control of ball, similar instance 1dt half waived away.

Flint? Yes. Phillips had the rebound covered ( smothered), Flint made attempt to clear ball but took man.

Re: Penalties... your thoughts?

Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:54 am

Pretty much the same thoughts as me
If you want a laugh read the Preston foroum they definitely don’t think first penalty was correct
One poster on there believing ALL reffs are against them because they signed Ched Evans :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:59 am

Totally concur with both views. What I found quite refreshing was MM said in his post match interview that he’d said to Harry Wilson ‘would you have thought that was a penalty if it happened to you in the other box?’.

Did we not have a potential handball penalty shout that was more of a penalty than the Morrison one, or am I just imagining that?

Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:00 am

Barclay1 wrote:Morrison? No ( cos I still don't know what it was given for)

Wilson? No, shoulder to shoulder, guy had lost control of ball, similar instance 1dt half waived away.

Flint? Yes. Phillips had the rebound covered ( smothered), Flint made attempt to clear ball but took man.

Thought the Flint one was 100% nailed on, despite what the commentators thought. Wilson 50/50, Morrison, well !

Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:28 am

No idea what morrisons was given for. But he is wrestled to the ground in most games without getting anything so its about time he got something-even if it was for nothing :lol:

Personally don't think wilsons was a foul but today's game is soft. It was a bit unnecessary from wilson anyway and he didn't need to give the ref a decision to make.

No argument against flints. 100% pen.

Not quite the same situation but brings back memories of hoilets and madines pens against wolves!

Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:59 am

The Morrison one I think the player goes to clear the ball and instead kicks Morrison in the back of his knee so I’d say it’s a penalty.

Wilson one there was no arms they both went for the barge and attacker lost the ball so went down. Soft. Third was 50/50, flint definitely gets to the ball first but maybe from first look for the ref it looked like the player was first there and he went through the back of him. On a separate note where did that speed from him come from, perhaps the ref gave the penalty because flint run too fast

Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:15 am

My thoughts on the 3 penalties.
We scored one
They had two saved.
Happy days.

Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:19 am

1. Very soft.
2. Never
3. Yes

Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:09 pm

I can see why all pens were given Think Morrison’s was the softest of all but for each i thought penalty in real time of watching

Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:38 pm

Did think the Wilson one was a penalty he seemed to deliberately barge into the back of the Preston player. Not sure about the Morrisson one I thought he got the ball.

Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:14 pm

Same here.

Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:47 pm

1 maybe just!

2 no, but in honesty dillon was way off his line to save it!

3 no, I thought he got the ball 1st.

Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:04 pm

I thought this post was going to be,when Ralls comes back who takes the pens?
No No and Yes.

Anyway Moore for the pens.

Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:30 pm

They were all penalties; because the referee said so and there is no VAR in the EFL ;)

Liked the first decision but not the other two, to be honest though... :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:07 pm

Like Chris as said all penalties would have needed var to decide but from what I've seen harry's probably given cant barge player off vall like that need be subtle... flint got ball 1st but from behind so doubt be overturned Morrison as any been given for that sort thing in championship? But var probably given... so do we want var in championship? :o

Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:23 pm

1-No
2- Yes
3-Yes

Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:32 pm

Thought they could all be considered soft. The Flint one didn't look good though and you can see how it was given. Wilson was foolish to give the ref a decision when there was little goal danger. I couldn’t work out what the first was for, but Morrison has missed out a few times for bailed on pens they weren’t given.

Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:35 pm

*nailed

Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:26 pm

Morrison was kicked. Foul. Penalty.
Wilson was naive but a fair challenge. Goal kick
Flint got the ball. Corner

Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:20 am

My opinion is that in the vast majority of matches none of them would have been given as penalties.

Our penalty - a collision you see in the penalty box every week. There is a case for it but very rarely given as a penalty.

Their first penalty - same as above, a fairly frequent collision that there is a case for but not often given.

Their second penalty - hard to tell from the video, but their does appear to be contact. I don't think most referees would give it though

Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:49 am

Remove penalties from the game altogether. A foul in the box is a free kick, deliberate foul stopping a goal scoring opportunity is a red card. Watch the strikers be stronger on their feet then, instead of going down easily.

Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:25 pm

On the Wilson penalty the preston player was very clever as he adjusted his body position so it was not shoulder to shoulder but shoulder to back and Wilson was committed so for me it's a yes, yes, no as I think in slow motion flint just gets the ball first.
Again how often do we see refs trying to even things up after giving a soft first penalty.

Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:25 pm

bluecityblue wrote:Remove penalties from the game altogether. A foul in the box is a free kick, deliberate foul stopping a goal scoring opportunity is a red card. Watch the strikers be stronger on their feet then, instead of going down easily.

Strikers manipulate situations all the time now! To me its cheating diving is going out game but in premier league its gone due to var ... in its place is players putting foot in front of defender even though cant get ball so he gets contact which is enough for var to give penalty same thing in efl .... even seeing players hold face when not touched there just to get opposition player sent off cheating ott now.