No Vaccine no NHS job says Chris Whitty

A forum for all things Cardiff City

No Vaccine no NHS job says Chris Whitty

Postby Bluebina » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:20 am

No jab, no NHS job? Professor Chris Whitty says covid vaccines could be compulsory for medics and care staff because all workers should want to get inoculated voluntarily anyway
Having Covid jab could become compulsory for NHS workers and care workers
Professor Chris Whitty said he expects medics to take the vaccine voluntarily
Only 64 per cent of staff at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS took vaccine

A Covid jab could become compulsory for NHS workers and care home staff, as England's chief medical officer says they have a 'professional responsibility' to get vaccinated.

Speaking on Monday Professor Chris Whitty said he expects doctors and care workers to take the vaccine voluntarily, suggesting that they should want to do anything they can to reduce the risk Covid poses to their patients.

He told the government press briefing: 'My view is clearly for medical staff, where I am subject to the same code, it is a professional responsibility for doctors to do things which help protect their patients, and I expect that to be a professional responsibility for all other health and social care staff as well.'

Despite Professor Whitty's expectations a study earlier this month found that only 64 per cent of staff at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust had taken up the offer to get their first dose by February 3.

While uptake was 71 per cent in white medics, the highest of any group, it plunged to half this level in black staff. This was despite research showing BAME groups are at higher risk of serious illness and death if they catch the virus.

It was also lower among South Asians, where only 60 per cent had received their first dose.

Doctors at the trust — the only occupation with a majority of BAME employees — were also least likely to get the jab, after only 57 per cent turned up to appointments.

And under-30s were less likely to get the jab than their older colleagues, which experts feared could be down to perceptions they are not at high risk from the virus.

Asked about the results earlier this month, the Health Secretary Matt Hancock called on doctors and nurses to get their jabs saying: 'It's important for your patients and of course it is important for the whole of society that we get this to as many people as possible.'

The comments from Professor Whitty come as Boris Johnson yesterday unveiled an ultra-cautious 'roadmap' out of lockdown by June - with schools reopening in a fortnight but little else set to change for months.

Flanked by Professor Whitty and Patrick Vallance as he defended his long-awaited four-phase exit strategy at a No10 briefing, the PM stated that 'Covid zero' was not possible and the return to normality must begin even though cases will rise.

However, Mr Johnson made clear he was prioritising 'certainty over urgency', saying he is being as 'dynamic as possible in the circumstances' and the 'crocus of hope' is starting to appear.

Professor Whitty and Sir Patrick said there are still very significant numbers of people infected with Covid and going to fast risked the outbreak spiralling again.

Prof Whitty added: 'There is still a lot of people in hospital with this disease. This is not the end, but this is the point where we can have a steady, risk-based, data-driven opening up.

'But everybody must stick to the guidelines as they go through the different stages, because if we don't do that then we will get to a stage where the rates go up very high and you'll find there are people who are not protected by the vaccinations.

'These are not 100 per cent effective, as the Prime Minister said.'

The Government's chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick 'completely' agreed with Prof Whitty, adding: 'The caution of going every five weeks is very important because we need to measure so that we're not flying blind on this.

'We need to know what the impact of the opening up steps are.'

Sir Patrick also suggested that the public needs to be prepared for some restrictions, such as masks, to return next winter.

In the Commons this afternoon, Mr Johnson said the 'threat remains' from the disease and cases, hospitalisations and deaths will rise in the coming months because no vaccines can offer 100 per cent protection for the whole population.

'At every stage our decisions will be led by data not dates,' the premier told MPs.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... hitty.html
Bluebina
 
Posts: 11592
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:32 pm

No Vaccine no NHS job says Chris Whitty

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: No Vaccine no NHS job says Chris Whitty

Postby Bluebina » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:30 am

Bluebina wrote:No jab, no NHS job? Professor Chris Whitty says covid vaccines could be compulsory for medics and care staff because all workers should want to get inoculated voluntarily anyway
Having Covid jab could become compulsory for NHS workers and care workers
Professor Chris Whitty said he expects medics to take the vaccine voluntarily
Only 64 per cent of staff at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS took vaccine

A Covid jab could become compulsory for NHS workers and care home staff, as England's chief medical officer says they have a 'professional responsibility' to get vaccinated.

Speaking on Monday Professor Chris Whitty said he expects doctors and care workers to take the vaccine voluntarily, suggesting that they should want to do anything they can to reduce the risk Covid poses to their patients.

He told the government press briefing: 'My view is clearly for medical staff, where I am subject to the same code, it is a professional responsibility for doctors to do things which help protect their patients, and I expect that to be a professional responsibility for all other health and social care staff as well.'

Despite Professor Whitty's expectations a study earlier this month found that only 64 per cent of staff at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust had taken up the offer to get their first dose by February 3.

While uptake was 71 per cent in white medics, the highest of any group, it plunged to half this level in black staff. This was despite research showing BAME groups are at higher risk of serious illness and death if they catch the virus.

It was also lower among South Asians, where only 60 per cent had received their first dose.

Doctors at the trust — the only occupation with a majority of BAME employees — were also least likely to get the jab, after only 57 per cent turned up to appointments.

And under-30s were less likely to get the jab than their older colleagues, which experts feared could be down to perceptions they are not at high risk from the virus.

Asked about the results earlier this month, the Health Secretary Matt Hancock called on doctors and nurses to get their jabs saying: 'It's important for your patients and of course it is important for the whole of society that we get this to as many people as possible.'

The comments from Professor Whitty come as Boris Johnson yesterday unveiled an ultra-cautious 'roadmap' out of lockdown by June - with schools reopening in a fortnight but little else set to change for months.

Flanked by Professor Whitty and Patrick Vallance as he defended his long-awaited four-phase exit strategy at a No10 briefing, the PM stated that 'Covid zero' was not possible and the return to normality must begin even though cases will rise.

However, Mr Johnson made clear he was prioritising 'certainty over urgency', saying he is being as 'dynamic as possible in the circumstances' and the 'crocus of hope' is starting to appear.

Professor Whitty and Sir Patrick said there are still very significant numbers of people infected with Covid and going to fast risked the outbreak spiralling again.

Prof Whitty added: 'There is still a lot of people in hospital with this disease. This is not the end, but this is the point where we can have a steady, risk-based, data-driven opening up.

'But everybody must stick to the guidelines as they go through the different stages, because if we don't do that then we will get to a stage where the rates go up very high and you'll find there are people who are not protected by the vaccinations.

'These are not 100 per cent effective, as the Prime Minister said.'

The Government's chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick 'completely' agreed with Prof Whitty, adding: 'The caution of going every five weeks is very important because we need to measure so that we're not flying blind on this.

'We need to know what the impact of the opening up steps are.'

Sir Patrick also suggested that the public needs to be prepared for some restrictions, such as masks, to return next winter.

In the Commons this afternoon, Mr Johnson said the 'threat remains' from the disease and cases, hospitalisations and deaths will rise in the coming months because no vaccines can offer 100 per cent protection for the whole population.

'At every stage our decisions will be led by data not dates,' the premier told MPs.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... hitty.html


Actually he didn't say that in fairness, he said they COULD become compulsory for doctors and care workers, he's just suggesting it COULD happen and that they should be voluntarily taking the vaccines to protect the public.

Posted quickly before fully reading.
Bluebina
 
Posts: 11592
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:32 pm

Re: No Vaccine no NHS job says Chris Whitty

Postby pembroke allan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:37 am

Bluebina wrote:
Bluebina wrote:No jab, no NHS job? Professor Chris Whitty says covid vaccines could be compulsory for medics and care staff because all workers should want to get inoculated voluntarily anyway
Having Covid jab could become compulsory for NHS workers and care workers
Professor Chris Whitty said he expects medics to take the vaccine voluntarily
Only 64 per cent of staff at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS took vaccine

A Covid jab could become compulsory for NHS workers and care home staff, as England's chief medical officer says they have a 'professional responsibility' to get vaccinated.

Speaking on Monday Professor Chris Whitty said he expects doctors and care workers to take the vaccine voluntarily, suggesting that they should want to do anything they can to reduce the risk Covid poses to their patients.

He told the government press briefing: 'My view is clearly for medical staff, where I am subject to the same code, it is a professional responsibility for doctors to do things which help protect their patients, and I expect that to be a professional responsibility for all other health and social care staff as well.'

Despite Professor Whitty's expectations a study earlier this month found that only 64 per cent of staff at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust had taken up the offer to get their first dose by February 3.

While uptake was 71 per cent in white medics, the highest of any group, it plunged to half this level in black staff. This was despite research showing BAME groups are at higher risk of serious illness and death if they catch the virus.

It was also lower among South Asians, where only 60 per cent had received their first dose.

Doctors at the trust — the only occupation with a majority of BAME employees — were also least likely to get the jab, after only 57 per cent turned up to appointments.

And under-30s were less likely to get the jab than their older colleagues, which experts feared could be down to perceptions they are not at high risk from the virus.

Asked about the results earlier this month, the Health Secretary Matt Hancock called on doctors and nurses to get their jabs saying: 'It's important for your patients and of course it is important for the whole of society that we get this to as many people as possible.'

The comments from Professor Whitty come as Boris Johnson yesterday unveiled an ultra-cautious 'roadmap' out of lockdown by June - with schools reopening in a fortnight but little else set to change for months.

Flanked by Professor Whitty and Patrick Vallance as he defended his long-awaited four-phase exit strategy at a No10 briefing, the PM stated that 'Covid zero' was not possible and the return to normality must begin even though cases will rise.

However, Mr Johnson made clear he was prioritising 'certainty over urgency', saying he is being as 'dynamic as possible in the circumstances' and the 'crocus of hope' is starting to appear.

Professor Whitty and Sir Patrick said there are still very significant numbers of people infected with Covid and going to fast risked the outbreak spiralling again.

Prof Whitty added: 'There is still a lot of people in hospital with this disease. This is not the end, but this is the point where we can have a steady, risk-based, data-driven opening up.

'But everybody must stick to the guidelines as they go through the different stages, because if we don't do that then we will get to a stage where the rates go up very high and you'll find there are people who are not protected by the vaccinations.

'These are not 100 per cent effective, as the Prime Minister said.'

The Government's chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick 'completely' agreed with Prof Whitty, adding: 'The caution of going every five weeks is very important because we need to measure so that we're not flying blind on this.

'We need to know what the impact of the opening up steps are.'

Sir Patrick also suggested that the public needs to be prepared for some restrictions, such as masks, to return next winter.

In the Commons this afternoon, Mr Johnson said the 'threat remains' from the disease and cases, hospitalisations and deaths will rise in the coming months because no vaccines can offer 100 per cent protection for the whole population.

'At every stage our decisions will be led by data not dates,' the premier told MPs.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... hitty.html


Actually he didn't say that in fairness, he said they COULD become compulsory for doctors and care workers, he's just suggesting it COULD happen and that they should be voluntarily taking the vaccines to protect the public.

Posted quickly before fully reading.



End up can only make it compulsory for new employees? Just like in any other buisness that wants to make it compulsory far to many laws preventing employers forcing current staff to have vaccine........ but does beg question why only 64% taken up vaccine at that hospital would thought be like 90%+
User avatar
pembroke allan
 
Posts: 23846
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: No Vaccine no NHS job says Chris Whitty

Postby skidemin » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:47 pm

Bluebina wrote:
Bluebina wrote:No jab, no NHS job? Professor Chris Whitty says covid vaccines could be compulsory for medics and care staff because all workers should want to get inoculated voluntarily anyway
Having Covid jab could become compulsory for NHS workers and care workers
Professor Chris Whitty said he expects medics to take the vaccine voluntarily
Only 64 per cent of staff at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS took vaccine

A Covid jab could become compulsory for NHS workers and care home staff, as England's chief medical officer says they have a 'professional responsibility' to get vaccinated.

Speaking on Monday Professor Chris Whitty said he expects doctors and care workers to take the vaccine voluntarily, suggesting that they should want to do anything they can to reduce the risk Covid poses to their patients.

He told the government press briefing: 'My view is clearly for medical staff, where I am subject to the same code, it is a professional responsibility for doctors to do things which help protect their patients, and I expect that to be a professional responsibility for all other health and social care staff as well.'

Despite Professor Whitty's expectations a study earlier this month found that only 64 per cent of staff at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust had taken up the offer to get their first dose by February 3.

While uptake was 71 per cent in white medics, the highest of any group, it plunged to half this level in black staff. This was despite research showing BAME groups are at higher risk of serious illness and death if they catch the virus.

It was also lower among South Asians, where only 60 per cent had received their first dose.

Doctors at the trust — the only occupation with a majority of BAME employees — were also least likely to get the jab, after only 57 per cent turned up to appointments.

And under-30s were less likely to get the jab than their older colleagues, which experts feared could be down to perceptions they are not at high risk from the virus.

Asked about the results earlier this month, the Health Secretary Matt Hancock called on doctors and nurses to get their jabs saying: 'It's important for your patients and of course it is important for the whole of society that we get this to as many people as possible.'

The comments from Professor Whitty come as Boris Johnson yesterday unveiled an ultra-cautious 'roadmap' out of lockdown by June - with schools reopening in a fortnight but little else set to change for months.

Flanked by Professor Whitty and Patrick Vallance as he defended his long-awaited four-phase exit strategy at a No10 briefing, the PM stated that 'Covid zero' was not possible and the return to normality must begin even though cases will rise.

However, Mr Johnson made clear he was prioritising 'certainty over urgency', saying he is being as 'dynamic as possible in the circumstances' and the 'crocus of hope' is starting to appear.

Professor Whitty and Sir Patrick said there are still very significant numbers of people infected with Covid and going to fast risked the outbreak spiralling again.

Prof Whitty added: 'There is still a lot of people in hospital with this disease. This is not the end, but this is the point where we can have a steady, risk-based, data-driven opening up.

'But everybody must stick to the guidelines as they go through the different stages, because if we don't do that then we will get to a stage where the rates go up very high and you'll find there are people who are not protected by the vaccinations.

'These are not 100 per cent effective, as the Prime Minister said.'

The Government's chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick 'completely' agreed with Prof Whitty, adding: 'The caution of going every five weeks is very important because we need to measure so that we're not flying blind on this.

'We need to know what the impact of the opening up steps are.'

Sir Patrick also suggested that the public needs to be prepared for some restrictions, such as masks, to return next winter.

In the Commons this afternoon, Mr Johnson said the 'threat remains' from the disease and cases, hospitalisations and deaths will rise in the coming months because no vaccines can offer 100 per cent protection for the whole population.

'At every stage our decisions will be led by data not dates,' the premier told MPs.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... hitty.html


Actually he didn't say that in fairness, he said they COULD become compulsory for doctors and care workers, he's just suggesting it COULD happen and that they should be voluntarily taking the vaccines to protect the public.

Posted quickly before fully reading.




very understandable mate.... anything involving restrictions or draconian measures and the excitement gets the better of you....
skidemin
 
Posts: 4699
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:45 pm

Re: No Vaccine no NHS job says Chris Whitty

Postby Bluebina » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:42 pm

skidemin wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
Bluebina wrote:No jab, no NHS job? Professor Chris Whitty says covid vaccines could be compulsory for medics and care staff because all workers should want to get inoculated voluntarily anyway
Having Covid jab could become compulsory for NHS workers and care workers
Professor Chris Whitty said he expects medics to take the vaccine voluntarily
Only 64 per cent of staff at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS took vaccine

A Covid jab could become compulsory for NHS workers and care home staff, as England's chief medical officer says they have a 'professional responsibility' to get vaccinated.

Speaking on Monday Professor Chris Whitty said he expects doctors and care workers to take the vaccine voluntarily, suggesting that they should want to do anything they can to reduce the risk Covid poses to their patients.

He told the government press briefing: 'My view is clearly for medical staff, where I am subject to the same code, it is a professional responsibility for doctors to do things which help protect their patients, and I expect that to be a professional responsibility for all other health and social care staff as well.'

Despite Professor Whitty's expectations a study earlier this month found that only 64 per cent of staff at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust had taken up the offer to get their first dose by February 3.

While uptake was 71 per cent in white medics, the highest of any group, it plunged to half this level in black staff. This was despite research showing BAME groups are at higher risk of serious illness and death if they catch the virus.

It was also lower among South Asians, where only 60 per cent had received their first dose.

Doctors at the trust — the only occupation with a majority of BAME employees — were also least likely to get the jab, after only 57 per cent turned up to appointments.

And under-30s were less likely to get the jab than their older colleagues, which experts feared could be down to perceptions they are not at high risk from the virus.

Asked about the results earlier this month, the Health Secretary Matt Hancock called on doctors and nurses to get their jabs saying: 'It's important for your patients and of course it is important for the whole of society that we get this to as many people as possible.'

The comments from Professor Whitty come as Boris Johnson yesterday unveiled an ultra-cautious 'roadmap' out of lockdown by June - with schools reopening in a fortnight but little else set to change for months.

Flanked by Professor Whitty and Patrick Vallance as he defended his long-awaited four-phase exit strategy at a No10 briefing, the PM stated that 'Covid zero' was not possible and the return to normality must begin even though cases will rise.

However, Mr Johnson made clear he was prioritising 'certainty over urgency', saying he is being as 'dynamic as possible in the circumstances' and the 'crocus of hope' is starting to appear.

Professor Whitty and Sir Patrick said there are still very significant numbers of people infected with Covid and going to fast risked the outbreak spiralling again.

Prof Whitty added: 'There is still a lot of people in hospital with this disease. This is not the end, but this is the point where we can have a steady, risk-based, data-driven opening up.

'But everybody must stick to the guidelines as they go through the different stages, because if we don't do that then we will get to a stage where the rates go up very high and you'll find there are people who are not protected by the vaccinations.

'These are not 100 per cent effective, as the Prime Minister said.'

The Government's chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick 'completely' agreed with Prof Whitty, adding: 'The caution of going every five weeks is very important because we need to measure so that we're not flying blind on this.

'We need to know what the impact of the opening up steps are.'

Sir Patrick also suggested that the public needs to be prepared for some restrictions, such as masks, to return next winter.

In the Commons this afternoon, Mr Johnson said the 'threat remains' from the disease and cases, hospitalisations and deaths will rise in the coming months because no vaccines can offer 100 per cent protection for the whole population.

'At every stage our decisions will be led by data not dates,' the premier told MPs.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... hitty.html


Actually he didn't say that in fairness, he said they COULD become compulsory for doctors and care workers, he's just suggesting it COULD happen and that they should be voluntarily taking the vaccines to protect the public.

Posted quickly before fully reading.




very understandable mate.... anything involving restrictions or draconian measures and the excitement gets the better of you....


:laughing6: Well done a sentence I can understand :thumbup:

A load of nonsense as usual but still a step in the right direction :laughing6:
Bluebina
 
Posts: 11592
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:32 pm

Re: No Vaccine no NHS job says Chris Whitty

Postby Bluebina » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:50 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
Bluebina wrote:No jab, no NHS job? Professor Chris Whitty says covid vaccines could be compulsory for medics and care staff because all workers should want to get inoculated voluntarily anyway
Having Covid jab could become compulsory for NHS workers and care workers
Professor Chris Whitty said he expects medics to take the vaccine voluntarily
Only 64 per cent of staff at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS took vaccine

A Covid jab could become compulsory for NHS workers and care home staff, as England's chief medical officer says they have a 'professional responsibility' to get vaccinated.

Speaking on Monday Professor Chris Whitty said he expects doctors and care workers to take the vaccine voluntarily, suggesting that they should want to do anything they can to reduce the risk Covid poses to their patients.

He told the government press briefing: 'My view is clearly for medical staff, where I am subject to the same code, it is a professional responsibility for doctors to do things which help protect their patients, and I expect that to be a professional responsibility for all other health and social care staff as well.'

Despite Professor Whitty's expectations a study earlier this month found that only 64 per cent of staff at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust had taken up the offer to get their first dose by February 3.

While uptake was 71 per cent in white medics, the highest of any group, it plunged to half this level in black staff. This was despite research showing BAME groups are at higher risk of serious illness and death if they catch the virus.

It was also lower among South Asians, where only 60 per cent had received their first dose.

Doctors at the trust — the only occupation with a majority of BAME employees — were also least likely to get the jab, after only 57 per cent turned up to appointments.

And under-30s were less likely to get the jab than their older colleagues, which experts feared could be down to perceptions they are not at high risk from the virus.

Asked about the results earlier this month, the Health Secretary Matt Hancock called on doctors and nurses to get their jabs saying: 'It's important for your patients and of course it is important for the whole of society that we get this to as many people as possible.'

The comments from Professor Whitty come as Boris Johnson yesterday unveiled an ultra-cautious 'roadmap' out of lockdown by June - with schools reopening in a fortnight but little else set to change for months.

Flanked by Professor Whitty and Patrick Vallance as he defended his long-awaited four-phase exit strategy at a No10 briefing, the PM stated that 'Covid zero' was not possible and the return to normality must begin even though cases will rise.

However, Mr Johnson made clear he was prioritising 'certainty over urgency', saying he is being as 'dynamic as possible in the circumstances' and the 'crocus of hope' is starting to appear.

Professor Whitty and Sir Patrick said there are still very significant numbers of people infected with Covid and going to fast risked the outbreak spiralling again.

Prof Whitty added: 'There is still a lot of people in hospital with this disease. This is not the end, but this is the point where we can have a steady, risk-based, data-driven opening up.

'But everybody must stick to the guidelines as they go through the different stages, because if we don't do that then we will get to a stage where the rates go up very high and you'll find there are people who are not protected by the vaccinations.

'These are not 100 per cent effective, as the Prime Minister said.'

The Government's chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick 'completely' agreed with Prof Whitty, adding: 'The caution of going every five weeks is very important because we need to measure so that we're not flying blind on this.

'We need to know what the impact of the opening up steps are.'

Sir Patrick also suggested that the public needs to be prepared for some restrictions, such as masks, to return next winter.

In the Commons this afternoon, Mr Johnson said the 'threat remains' from the disease and cases, hospitalisations and deaths will rise in the coming months because no vaccines can offer 100 per cent protection for the whole population.

'At every stage our decisions will be led by data not dates,' the premier told MPs.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... hitty.html


Actually he didn't say that in fairness, he said they COULD become compulsory for doctors and care workers, he's just suggesting it COULD happen and that they should be voluntarily taking the vaccines to protect the public.

Posted quickly before fully reading.



End up can only make it compulsory for new employees? Just like in any other buisness that wants to make it compulsory far to many laws preventing employers forcing current staff to have vaccine........ but does beg question why only 64% taken up vaccine at that hospital would thought be like 90%+


Difficult to impose, and it doesn't affect me but I would imagine most people with a family member in a care home would prefer the people looking after them to have had a vaccination?

As for the percentage it's apparently down to the demographic of people who work in those occupations.
Bluebina
 
Posts: 11592
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:32 pm

Re: No Vaccine no NHS job says Chris Whitty

Postby Igovernor » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:04 pm

I have got to say it is alright for people to refuse a vaccine, that is their right, but to my mind these people are thoughtless and inconsiderate to the health of others, BUT anyone who does not have the vaccine and is working with vunerable and ill people , should not be let anywhere near them. no vaccine then no contact. If that means no work then so be it, peoples lives first :thumbup:
User avatar
Igovernor
Moderator
 
Posts: 5377
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:17 am

Re: No Vaccine no NHS job says Chris Whitty

Postby pembroke allan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:34 pm

Bluebina wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
Bluebina wrote:No jab, no NHS job? Professor Chris Whitty says covid vaccines could be compulsory for medics and care staff because all workers should want to get inoculated voluntarily anyway
Having Covid jab could become compulsory for NHS workers and care workers
Professor Chris Whitty said he expects medics to take the vaccine voluntarily
Only 64 per cent of staff at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS took vaccine

A Covid jab could become compulsory for NHS workers and care home staff, as England's chief medical officer says they have a 'professional responsibility' to get vaccinated.

Speaking on Monday Professor Chris Whitty said he expects doctors and care workers to take the vaccine voluntarily, suggesting that they should want to do anything they can to reduce the risk Covid poses to their patients.

He told the government press briefing: 'My view is clearly for medical staff, where I am subject to the same code, it is a professional responsibility for doctors to do things which help protect their patients, and I expect that to be a professional responsibility for all other health and social care staff as well.'

Despite Professor Whitty's expectations a study earlier this month found that only 64 per cent of staff at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust had taken up the offer to get their first dose by February 3.

While uptake was 71 per cent in white medics, the highest of any group, it plunged to half this level in black staff. This was despite research showing BAME groups are at higher risk of serious illness and death if they catch the virus.

It was also lower among South Asians, where only 60 per cent had received their first dose.

Doctors at the trust — the only occupation with a majority of BAME employees — were also least likely to get the jab, after only 57 per cent turned up to appointments.

And under-30s were less likely to get the jab than their older colleagues, which experts feared could be down to perceptions they are not at high risk from the virus.

Asked about the results earlier this month, the Health Secretary Matt Hancock called on doctors and nurses to get their jabs saying: 'It's important for your patients and of course it is important for the whole of society that we get this to as many people as possible.'

The comments from Professor Whitty come as Boris Johnson yesterday unveiled an ultra-cautious 'roadmap' out of lockdown by June - with schools reopening in a fortnight but little else set to change for months.

Flanked by Professor Whitty and Patrick Vallance as he defended his long-awaited four-phase exit strategy at a No10 briefing, the PM stated that 'Covid zero' was not possible and the return to normality must begin even though cases will rise.

However, Mr Johnson made clear he was prioritising 'certainty over urgency', saying he is being as 'dynamic as possible in the circumstances' and the 'crocus of hope' is starting to appear.

Professor Whitty and Sir Patrick said there are still very significant numbers of people infected with Covid and going to fast risked the outbreak spiralling again.

Prof Whitty added: 'There is still a lot of people in hospital with this disease. This is not the end, but this is the point where we can have a steady, risk-based, data-driven opening up.

'But everybody must stick to the guidelines as they go through the different stages, because if we don't do that then we will get to a stage where the rates go up very high and you'll find there are people who are not protected by the vaccinations.

'These are not 100 per cent effective, as the Prime Minister said.'

The Government's chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick 'completely' agreed with Prof Whitty, adding: 'The caution of going every five weeks is very important because we need to measure so that we're not flying blind on this.

'We need to know what the impact of the opening up steps are.'

Sir Patrick also suggested that the public needs to be prepared for some restrictions, such as masks, to return next winter.

In the Commons this afternoon, Mr Johnson said the 'threat remains' from the disease and cases, hospitalisations and deaths will rise in the coming months because no vaccines can offer 100 per cent protection for the whole population.

'At every stage our decisions will be led by data not dates,' the premier told MPs.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... hitty.html


Actually he didn't say that in fairness, he said they COULD become compulsory for doctors and care workers, he's just suggesting it COULD happen and that they should be voluntarily taking the vaccines to protect the public.

Posted quickly before fully reading.



End up can only make it compulsory for new employees? Just like in any other buisness that wants to make it compulsory far to many laws preventing employers forcing current staff to have vaccine........ but does beg question why only 64% taken up vaccine at that hospital would thought be like 90%+


Difficult to impose, and it doesn't affect me but I would imagine most people with a family member in a care home would prefer the people looking after them to have had a vaccination?

As for the percentage it's apparently down to the demographic of people who work in those occupations.



The 64% is from one trust that is a very high percentage not having vaccine caring for people .... dont understand why anyone in a risky profession not wanting vaccine especially as hospitals are one of the highest places for the spread of corvid! Just had 49 cases in one hospital in north wales...
User avatar
pembroke allan
 
Posts: 23846
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: No Vaccine no NHS job says Chris Whitty

Postby bluesince62 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:44 pm

Igovernor wrote:I have got to say it is alright for people to refuse a vaccine, that is their right, but to my mind these people are thoughtless and inconsiderate to the health of others, BUT anyone who does not have the vaccine and is working with vunerable and ill people , should not be let anywhere near them. no vaccine then no contact. If that means no work then so be it, peoples lives first :thumbup:



It cant be alright in one breath,then thoughtless and inconsiderate in the next surely? As you say,those who wish not to take the jab,have the right to do so,so I guess all new employee's in the care/nursing profession will be required to have it,but for those who have been doing this kind of job for maybe many, many years,it will be difficult to make those people have it, if they choose not to?
bluesince62
 
Posts: 4892
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:02 am

Re: No Vaccine no NHS job says Chris Whitty

Postby piledriver64 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:00 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
Igovernor wrote:I have got to say it is alright for people to refuse a vaccine, that is their right, but to my mind these people are thoughtless and inconsiderate to the health of others, BUT anyone who does not have the vaccine and is working with vunerable and ill people , should not be let anywhere near them. no vaccine then no contact. If that means no work then so be it, peoples lives first :thumbup:



It cant be alright in one breath,then thoughtless and inconsiderate in the next surely? As you say,those who wish not to take the jab,have the right to do so,so I guess all new employee's in the care/nursing profession will be required to have it,but for those who have been doing this kind of job for maybe many, many years,it will be difficult to make those people have it, if they choose not to?


I think the point is that you can refuse the jab but don't expect that to be without consequences.

There's talk about needing the jab proof for travelling and employment lawyers are just waiting for the first case of employers making it compulsory (not just health care and NHS).

The thing is, this isn't like just another flu, you don't take 10 days off work if your wife has flu to self-isolate ! So it's likely if you choose not to have the jab you might still get paid/statutory sick pay if you get the virus but unlikely they will pay you for self-isolation even though it may well still be law for you to self-isolate.
piledriver64
 
Posts: 2839
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:45 pm

Re: No Vaccine no NHS job says Chris Whitty

Postby bluesince62 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:18 pm

piledriver64 wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
Igovernor wrote:I have got to say it is alright for people to refuse a vaccine, that is their right, but to my mind these people are thoughtless and inconsiderate to the health of others, BUT anyone who does not have the vaccine and is working with vunerable and ill people , should not be let anywhere near them. no vaccine then no contact. If that means no work then so be it, peoples lives first :thumbup:



It cant be alright in one breath,then thoughtless and inconsiderate in the next surely? As you say,those who wish not to take the jab,have the right to do so,so I guess all new employee's in the care/nursing profession will be required to have it,but for those who have been doing this kind of job for maybe many, many years,it will be difficult to make those people have it, if they choose not to?


I think the point is that you can refuse the jab but don't expect that to be without consequences.

There's talk about needing the jab proof for travelling and employment lawyers are just waiting for the first case of employers making it compulsory (not just health care and NHS).

The thing is, this isn't like just another flu, you don't take 10 days off work if your wife has flu to self-isolate ! So it's likely if you choose not to have the jab you might still get paid/statutory sick pay if you get the virus but unlikely they will pay you for self-isolation even though it may well still be law for you to self-isolate.



This is going to get very messy,especially for the likes of those such as mysef,who on doctors advice,cannot for varying reasons,have the jab.that is discriminatory against some people,who have chosen to follow advice to not take it? As for others who,for whatever reason refuse to take it? Who knows?
But if I to be denied travel,because of my disabilities(and serious allergic reactions are a disability) Then I will not accept it,why would I?
bluesince62
 
Posts: 4892
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:02 am

Re: No Vaccine no NHS job says Chris Whitty

Postby skidemin » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:49 pm

Bluebina wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
Bluebina wrote:No jab, no NHS job? Professor Chris Whitty says covid vaccines could be compulsory for medics and care staff because all workers should want to get inoculated voluntarily anyway
Having Covid jab could become compulsory for NHS workers and care workers
Professor Chris Whitty said he expects medics to take the vaccine voluntarily
Only 64 per cent of staff at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS took vaccine

A Covid jab could become compulsory for NHS workers and care home staff, as England's chief medical officer says they have a 'professional responsibility' to get vaccinated.

Speaking on Monday Professor Chris Whitty said he expects doctors and care workers to take the vaccine voluntarily, suggesting that they should want to do anything they can to reduce the risk Covid poses to their patients.

He told the government press briefing: 'My view is clearly for medical staff, where I am subject to the same code, it is a professional responsibility for doctors to do things which help protect their patients, and I expect that to be a professional responsibility for all other health and social care staff as well.'

Despite Professor Whitty's expectations a study earlier this month found that only 64 per cent of staff at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust had taken up the offer to get their first dose by February 3.

While uptake was 71 per cent in white medics, the highest of any group, it plunged to half this level in black staff. This was despite research showing BAME groups are at higher risk of serious illness and death if they catch the virus.

It was also lower among South Asians, where only 60 per cent had received their first dose.

Doctors at the trust — the only occupation with a majority of BAME employees — were also least likely to get the jab, after only 57 per cent turned up to appointments.

And under-30s were less likely to get the jab than their older colleagues, which experts feared could be down to perceptions they are not at high risk from the virus.

Asked about the results earlier this month, the Health Secretary Matt Hancock called on doctors and nurses to get their jabs saying: 'It's important for your patients and of course it is important for the whole of society that we get this to as many people as possible.'

The comments from Professor Whitty come as Boris Johnson yesterday unveiled an ultra-cautious 'roadmap' out of lockdown by June - with schools reopening in a fortnight but little else set to change for months.

Flanked by Professor Whitty and Patrick Vallance as he defended his long-awaited four-phase exit strategy at a No10 briefing, the PM stated that 'Covid zero' was not possible and the return to normality must begin even though cases will rise.

However, Mr Johnson made clear he was prioritising 'certainty over urgency', saying he is being as 'dynamic as possible in the circumstances' and the 'crocus of hope' is starting to appear.

Professor Whitty and Sir Patrick said there are still very significant numbers of people infected with Covid and going to fast risked the outbreak spiralling again.

Prof Whitty added: 'There is still a lot of people in hospital with this disease. This is not the end, but this is the point where we can have a steady, risk-based, data-driven opening up.

'But everybody must stick to the guidelines as they go through the different stages, because if we don't do that then we will get to a stage where the rates go up very high and you'll find there are people who are not protected by the vaccinations.

'These are not 100 per cent effective, as the Prime Minister said.'

The Government's chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick 'completely' agreed with Prof Whitty, adding: 'The caution of going every five weeks is very important because we need to measure so that we're not flying blind on this.

'We need to know what the impact of the opening up steps are.'

Sir Patrick also suggested that the public needs to be prepared for some restrictions, such as masks, to return next winter.

In the Commons this afternoon, Mr Johnson said the 'threat remains' from the disease and cases, hospitalisations and deaths will rise in the coming months because no vaccines can offer 100 per cent protection for the whole population.

'At every stage our decisions will be led by data not dates,' the premier told MPs.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... hitty.html


Actually he didn't say that in fairness, he said they COULD become compulsory for doctors and care workers, he's just suggesting it COULD happen and that they should be voluntarily taking the vaccines to protect the public.

Posted quickly before fully reading.




very understandable mate.... anything involving restrictions or draconian measures and the excitement gets the better of you....


:laughing6: Well done a sentence I can understand :thumbup:

A load of nonsense as usual but still a step in the right direction :laughing6:



you quite clearly failed to understand the article you posted ... :laughing5:
skidemin
 
Posts: 4699
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:45 pm

Re: No Vaccine no NHS job says Chris Whitty

Postby Bluebina » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:57 pm

skidemin wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
Bluebina wrote:No jab, no NHS job? Professor Chris Whitty says covid vaccines could be compulsory for medics and care staff because all workers should want to get inoculated voluntarily anyway
Having Covid jab could become compulsory for NHS workers and care workers
Professor Chris Whitty said he expects medics to take the vaccine voluntarily
Only 64 per cent of staff at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS took vaccine

A Covid jab could become compulsory for NHS workers and care home staff, as England's chief medical officer says they have a 'professional responsibility' to get vaccinated.

Speaking on Monday Professor Chris Whitty said he expects doctors and care workers to take the vaccine voluntarily, suggesting that they should want to do anything they can to reduce the risk Covid poses to their patients.

He told the government press briefing: 'My view is clearly for medical staff, where I am subject to the same code, it is a professional responsibility for doctors to do things which help protect their patients, and I expect that to be a professional responsibility for all other health and social care staff as well.'

Despite Professor Whitty's expectations a study earlier this month found that only 64 per cent of staff at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust had taken up the offer to get their first dose by February 3.

While uptake was 71 per cent in white medics, the highest of any group, it plunged to half this level in black staff. This was despite research showing BAME groups are at higher risk of serious illness and death if they catch the virus.

It was also lower among South Asians, where only 60 per cent had received their first dose.

Doctors at the trust — the only occupation with a majority of BAME employees — were also least likely to get the jab, after only 57 per cent turned up to appointments.

And under-30s were less likely to get the jab than their older colleagues, which experts feared could be down to perceptions they are not at high risk from the virus.

Asked about the results earlier this month, the Health Secretary Matt Hancock called on doctors and nurses to get their jabs saying: 'It's important for your patients and of course it is important for the whole of society that we get this to as many people as possible.'

The comments from Professor Whitty come as Boris Johnson yesterday unveiled an ultra-cautious 'roadmap' out of lockdown by June - with schools reopening in a fortnight but little else set to change for months.

Flanked by Professor Whitty and Patrick Vallance as he defended his long-awaited four-phase exit strategy at a No10 briefing, the PM stated that 'Covid zero' was not possible and the return to normality must begin even though cases will rise.

However, Mr Johnson made clear he was prioritising 'certainty over urgency', saying he is being as 'dynamic as possible in the circumstances' and the 'crocus of hope' is starting to appear.

Professor Whitty and Sir Patrick said there are still very significant numbers of people infected with Covid and going to fast risked the outbreak spiralling again.

Prof Whitty added: 'There is still a lot of people in hospital with this disease. This is not the end, but this is the point where we can have a steady, risk-based, data-driven opening up.

'But everybody must stick to the guidelines as they go through the different stages, because if we don't do that then we will get to a stage where the rates go up very high and you'll find there are people who are not protected by the vaccinations.

'These are not 100 per cent effective, as the Prime Minister said.'

The Government's chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick 'completely' agreed with Prof Whitty, adding: 'The caution of going every five weeks is very important because we need to measure so that we're not flying blind on this.

'We need to know what the impact of the opening up steps are.'

Sir Patrick also suggested that the public needs to be prepared for some restrictions, such as masks, to return next winter.

In the Commons this afternoon, Mr Johnson said the 'threat remains' from the disease and cases, hospitalisations and deaths will rise in the coming months because no vaccines can offer 100 per cent protection for the whole population.

'At every stage our decisions will be led by data not dates,' the premier told MPs.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... hitty.html


Actually he didn't say that in fairness, he said they COULD become compulsory for doctors and care workers, he's just suggesting it COULD happen and that they should be voluntarily taking the vaccines to protect the public.

Posted quickly before fully reading.




very understandable mate.... anything involving restrictions or draconian measures and the excitement gets the better of you....


:laughing6: Well done a sentence I can understand :thumbup:

A load of nonsense as usual but still a step in the right direction :laughing6:



you quite clearly failed to understand the article you posted ... :laughing5:


I understood completely, just the lines from the daily mail were a bit harsh on Whitty so I corrected them, so your back to posting nonsense that doesn't make sense :roll: :laughing6:
Bluebina
 
Posts: 11592
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:32 pm

Re: No Vaccine no NHS job says Chris Whitty

Postby Bluebina » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:09 pm

piledriver64 wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
Igovernor wrote:I have got to say it is alright for people to refuse a vaccine, that is their right, but to my mind these people are thoughtless and inconsiderate to the health of others, BUT anyone who does not have the vaccine and is working with vunerable and ill people , should not be let anywhere near them. no vaccine then no contact. If that means no work then so be it, peoples lives first :thumbup:



It cant be alright in one breath,then thoughtless and inconsiderate in the next surely? As you say,those who wish not to take the jab,have the right to do so,so I guess all new employee's in the care/nursing profession will be required to have it,but for those who have been doing this kind of job for maybe many, many years,it will be difficult to make those people have it, if they choose not to?


I think the point is that you can refuse the jab but don't expect that to be without consequences.

There's talk about needing the jab proof for travelling and employment lawyers are just waiting for the first case of employers making it compulsory (not just health care and NHS).

The thing is, this isn't like just another flu, you don't take 10 days off work if your wife has flu to self-isolate ! So it's likely if you choose not to have the jab you might still get paid/statutory sick pay if you get the virus but unlikely they will pay you for self-isolation even though it may well still be law for you to self-isolate.



The main article on the BBC news today and Boris has ordered a review of vaccine passports, a few days ago it was no chance, now it's a review.

Airlines are already bringing them in, Care home owners and Charlie Mullins at Pimlico Plumbers in London are bringing them in already.

Israel, Denmark, Iceland, Sweden are bringing them in and Greece want visitors to have them before they can visit Greece.

Talk of using the NHS app, this is going to be an interesting few months.
Bluebina
 
Posts: 11592
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:32 pm

Re: No Vaccine no NHS job says Chris Whitty

Postby Bluebina » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:13 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
Igovernor wrote:I have got to say it is alright for people to refuse a vaccine, that is their right, but to my mind these people are thoughtless and inconsiderate to the health of others, BUT anyone who does not have the vaccine and is working with vunerable and ill people , should not be let anywhere near them. no vaccine then no contact. If that means no work then so be it, peoples lives first :thumbup:



It cant be alright in one breath,then thoughtless and inconsiderate in the next surely? As you say,those who wish not to take the jab,have the right to do so,so I guess all new employee's in the care/nursing profession will be required to have it,but for those who have been doing this kind of job for maybe many, many years,it will be difficult to make those people have it, if they choose not to?


I think the point is that you can refuse the jab but don't expect that to be without consequences.

There's talk about needing the jab proof for travelling and employment lawyers are just waiting for the first case of employers making it compulsory (not just health care and NHS).

The thing is, this isn't like just another flu, you don't take 10 days off work if your wife has flu to self-isolate ! So it's likely if you choose not to have the jab you might still get paid/statutory sick pay if you get the virus but unlikely they will pay you for self-isolation even though it may well still be law for you to self-isolate.



This is going to get very messy,especially for the likes of those such as mysef,who on doctors advice,cannot for varying reasons,have the jab.that is discriminatory against some people,who have chosen to follow advice to not take it? As for others who,for whatever reason refuse to take it? Who knows?
But if I to be denied travel,because of my disabilities(and serious allergic reactions are a disability) Then I will not accept it,why would I?


This is the stumbling block, I think Countries will enforce it and require the passports, but it will be difficult for UK companies due to potential discrimination litigation, maybe they can offer an exemption on health ?
Bluebina
 
Posts: 11592
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:32 pm

Re: No Vaccine no NHS job says Chris Whitty

Postby ffs » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:21 pm

Never going to happen. There'd be a huge shortage of doctor's overnight
ffs
 
Posts: 882
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:24 pm

Re: No Vaccine no NHS job says Chris Whitty

Postby WestCoastBlue » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:37 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
Igovernor wrote:I have got to say it is alright for people to refuse a vaccine, that is their right, but to my mind these people are thoughtless and inconsiderate to the health of others, BUT anyone who does not have the vaccine and is working with vunerable and ill people , should not be let anywhere near them. no vaccine then no contact. If that means no work then so be it, peoples lives first :thumbup:



It cant be alright in one breath,then thoughtless and inconsiderate in the next surely? As you say,those who wish not to take the jab,have the right to do so,so I guess all new employee's in the care/nursing profession will be required to have it,but for those who have been doing this kind of job for maybe many, many years,it will be difficult to make those people have it, if they choose not to?


I think the point is that you can refuse the jab but don't expect that to be without consequences.

There's talk about needing the jab proof for travelling and employment lawyers are just waiting for the first case of employers making it compulsory (not just health care and NHS).

The thing is, this isn't like just another flu, you don't take 10 days off work if your wife has flu to self-isolate ! So it's likely if you choose not to have the jab you might still get paid/statutory sick pay if you get the virus but unlikely they will pay you for self-isolation even though it may well still be law for you to self-isolate.



This is going to get very messy,especially for the likes of those such as mysef,who on doctors advice,cannot for varying reasons,have the jab.that is discriminatory against some people,who have chosen to follow advice to not take it? As for others who,for whatever reason refuse to take it? Who knows?
But if I to be denied travel,because of my disabilities(and serious allergic reactions are a disability) Then I will not accept it,why would I?


If your doctor also advises you against the Yellow Fever jab then you would also be denied access to multiple counties. Likewise several countries also require you to have had the Polio jab to enter.
Countries can decline you entry for a criminal record, not having a visa, not having a passport, certain occupations like military services, film crews, reporters, etc, some countries will deny you entry if you’ve visited another country they’re not to fond of. Countries have the ability to close their borders and deny you access whenever they want, the USA banned certain passports from entering a few years back and the EU closed their borders last year.

You don’t have the right to visit any country you please free of that nation’s laws. The fact is if for the next 6 months or 12 months or whatever, if a country asks for a Covid vaccine to enter then you have no choice but to accept it. Or enter the country illegally.
WestCoastBlue
 
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:17 pm

Re: No Vaccine no NHS job says Chris Whitty

Postby Igovernor » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:04 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
Igovernor wrote:I have got to say it is alright for people to refuse a vaccine, that is their right, but to my mind these people are thoughtless and inconsiderate to the health of others, BUT anyone who does not have the vaccine and is working with vunerable and ill people , should not be let anywhere near them. no vaccine then no contact. If that means no work then so be it, peoples lives first :thumbup:



It cant be alright in one breath,then thoughtless and inconsiderate in the next surely? As you say,those who wish not to take the jab,have the right to do so,so I guess all new employee's in the care/nursing profession will be required to have it,but for those who have been doing this kind of job for maybe many, many years,it will be difficult to make those people have it, if they choose not to?


Paul I think you missed the point, although it is a persons right to refuse the jab it is still thoughtlees and inconsiderate of them as they could catch covid19 and pass it on to other members of the public. I really am sorry but even if people cannot take the vaccine I would certainly not want them to put peoples lives in danger by being in close contact with them in hospital/nursing homes etc, or in public places. You watch if people start dying after catching Covid19 after contact with someone who has not been vaccinated it will really hit the fan!
User avatar
Igovernor
Moderator
 
Posts: 5377
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:17 am

Re: No Vaccine no NHS job says Chris Whitty

Postby stickywicket » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:47 pm

No vaccine no life in my opinion.
Unless illness rules out vaccination.
User avatar
stickywicket
 
Posts: 2172
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:59 pm

Re: No Vaccine no NHS job says Chris Whitty

Postby bluesince62 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:57 pm

WestCoastBlue wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
Igovernor wrote:I have got to say it is alright for people to refuse a vaccine, that is their right, but to my mind these people are thoughtless and inconsiderate to the health of others, BUT anyone who does not have the vaccine and is working with vunerable and ill people , should not be let anywhere near them. no vaccine then no contact. If that means no work then so be it, peoples lives first :thumbup:



It cant be alright in one breath,then thoughtless and inconsiderate in the next surely? As you say,those who wish not to take the jab,have the right to do so,so I guess all new employee's in the care/nursing profession will be required to have it,but for those who have been doing this kind of job for maybe many, many years,it will be difficult to make those people have it, if they choose not to?


I think the point is that you can refuse the jab but don't expect that to be without consequences.

There's talk about needing the jab proof for travelling and employment lawyers are just waiting for the first case of employers making it compulsory (not just health care and NHS).

The thing is, this isn't like just another flu, you don't take 10 days off work if your wife has flu to self-isolate ! So it's likely if you choose not to have the jab you might still get paid/statutory sick pay if you get the virus but unlikely they will pay you for self-isolation even though it may well still be law for you to self-isolate.



This is going to get very messy,especially for the likes of those such as mysef,who on doctors advice,cannot for varying reasons,have the jab.that is discriminatory against some people,who have chosen to follow advice to not take it? As for others who,for whatever reason refuse to take it? Who knows?
But if I to be denied travel,because of my disabilities(and serious allergic reactions are a disability) Then I will not accept it,why would I?


If your doctor also advises you against the Yellow Fever jab then you would also be denied access to multiple counties. Likewise several countries also require you to have had the Polio jab to enter.
Countries can decline you entry for a criminal record, not having a visa, not having a passport, certain occupations like military services, film crews, reporters, etc, some countries will deny you entry if you’ve visited another country they’re not to fond of. Countries have the ability to close their borders and deny you access whenever they want, the USA banned certain passports from entering a few years back and the EU closed their borders last year.

You don’t have the right to visit any country you please free of that nation’s laws. The fact is if for the next 6 months or 12 months or whatever, if a country asks for a Covid vaccine to enter then you have no choice but to accept it. Or enter the country illegally.



What a silly arguement, "no choice to accept it" :shock:
I am fully aware of certain countries requirements regards vaccines,and the criminal record etc etc,but to date I have travelled without vaccinations without hindrance,
maybe its because I research the country I am visiting, and if certain requirements are to be met, i.e yellow fever vaccines etc,then I cannot visit there,as the risks are very high for me.I also understand I am at the mercy of every countries laws, outside of the uk.
You are saying these things, as if I am an anti vaxxer for some reason? I am sure people in the same situation as myself, will contest this on grounds of discrimination, and in my personal opinion, rightly so.
bluesince62
 
Posts: 4892
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:02 am

Re: No Vaccine no NHS job says Chris Whitty

Postby WestCoastBlue » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:43 pm

bluesince62 wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
Igovernor wrote:I have got to say it is alright for people to refuse a vaccine, that is their right, but to my mind these people are thoughtless and inconsiderate to the health of others, BUT anyone who does not have the vaccine and is working with vunerable and ill people , should not be let anywhere near them. no vaccine then no contact. If that means no work then so be it, peoples lives first :thumbup:



It cant be alright in one breath,then thoughtless and inconsiderate in the next surely? As you say,those who wish not to take the jab,have the right to do so,so I guess all new employee's in the care/nursing profession will be required to have it,but for those who have been doing this kind of job for maybe many, many years,it will be difficult to make those people have it, if they choose not to?


I think the point is that you can refuse the jab but don't expect that to be without consequences.

There's talk about needing the jab proof for travelling and employment lawyers are just waiting for the first case of employers making it compulsory (not just health care and NHS).

The thing is, this isn't like just another flu, you don't take 10 days off work if your wife has flu to self-isolate ! So it's likely if you choose not to have the jab you might still get paid/statutory sick pay if you get the virus but unlikely they will pay you for self-isolation even though it may well still be law for you to self-isolate.



This is going to get very messy,especially for the likes of those such as mysef,who on doctors advice,cannot for varying reasons,have the jab.that is discriminatory against some people,who have chosen to follow advice to not take it? As for others who,for whatever reason refuse to take it? Who knows?
But if I to be denied travel,because of my disabilities(and serious allergic reactions are a disability) Then I will not accept it,why would I?


If your doctor also advises you against the Yellow Fever jab then you would also be denied access to multiple counties. Likewise several countries also require you to have had the Polio jab to enter.
Countries can decline you entry for a criminal record, not having a visa, not having a passport, certain occupations like military services, film crews, reporters, etc, some countries will deny you entry if you’ve visited another country they’re not to fond of. Countries have the ability to close their borders and deny you access whenever they want, the USA banned certain passports from entering a few years back and the EU closed their borders last year.

You don’t have the right to visit any country you please free of that nation’s laws. The fact is if for the next 6 months or 12 months or whatever, if a country asks for a Covid vaccine to enter then you have no choice but to accept it. Or enter the country illegally.



What a silly arguement, "no choice to accept it" :shock:
I am fully aware of certain countries requirements regards vaccines,and the criminal record etc etc,but to date I have travelled without vaccinations without hindrance,
maybe its because I research the country I am visiting, and if certain requirements are to be met, i.e yellow fever vaccines etc,then I cannot visit there,as the risks are very high for me.I also understand I am at the mercy of every countries laws, outside of the uk.
You are saying these things, as if I am an anti vaxxer for some reason? I am sure people in the same situation as myself, will contest this on grounds of discrimination, and in my personal opinion, rightly so.


So you've researched countries and discovered you aren't able to visit so you don't visit them?
And you understand you're at the mercy of a country's laws prohibiting from visiting?
So which part of "no choice to accept it" is silly? From your own admission it sounds like you've accepted vaccine restrictions before.

I'm not saying these things as if you're an anti vaxxer I'm saying these things as if you're someone who won't have the vaccine, whether that be by choice or not is irrelevant. People have already been in this position for decades and I would be surprised if any regular traveller has successfully won entry to a country on the basis of discrimination.
WestCoastBlue
 
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:17 pm

Re: No Vaccine no NHS job says Chris Whitty

Postby gardner411 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:40 pm

I’ve had two experiences of needing proof of vaccinations before Covid existed.

One was when I lived in the Canary Islands, the schools in the area wouldn’t accept kids who weren’t vaccinated with the usual jabs.

The other, when I started working for a private hospital. A part of my pre-employment checks was giving proof, from my GP, of all the vaccinations I had. Whether I would of been denied the job for lack of jabs, I don’t know, but it didn’t phase me.
gardner411
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:19 pm

Re: No Vaccine no NHS job says Chris Whitty

Postby Pulisnewport » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:43 pm

People do have a choice however if one works in the NHS and refuses to take the vaccine all they need to do is remove them from contact with people.

They can argue as much as they like but in their contracts it will clearly say they can be moved wherever needed throughout the system as required. Simple but effective solution and one that will be implemented I’m sure in the coming months.
Pulisnewport
 
Posts: 2053
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:03 pm

Re: No Vaccine no NHS job says Chris Whitty

Postby skidemin » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:23 am

Bluebina wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
Bluebina wrote:No jab, no NHS job? Professor Chris Whitty says covid vaccines could be compulsory for medics and care staff because all workers should want to get inoculated voluntarily anyway
Having Covid jab could become compulsory for NHS workers and care workers
Professor Chris Whitty said he expects medics to take the vaccine voluntarily
Only 64 per cent of staff at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS took vaccine

A Covid jab could become compulsory for NHS workers and care home staff, as England's chief medical officer says they have a 'professional responsibility' to get vaccinated.

Speaking on Monday Professor Chris Whitty said he expects doctors and care workers to take the vaccine voluntarily, suggesting that they should want to do anything they can to reduce the risk Covid poses to their patients.

He told the government press briefing: 'My view is clearly for medical staff, where I am subject to the same code, it is a professional responsibility for doctors to do things which help protect their patients, and I expect that to be a professional responsibility for all other health and social care staff as well.'

Despite Professor Whitty's expectations a study earlier this month found that only 64 per cent of staff at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust had taken up the offer to get their first dose by February 3.

While uptake was 71 per cent in white medics, the highest of any group, it plunged to half this level in black staff. This was despite research showing BAME groups are at higher risk of serious illness and death if they catch the virus.

It was also lower among South Asians, where only 60 per cent had received their first dose.

Doctors at the trust — the only occupation with a majority of BAME employees — were also least likely to get the jab, after only 57 per cent turned up to appointments.

And under-30s were less likely to get the jab than their older colleagues, which experts feared could be down to perceptions they are not at high risk from the virus.

Asked about the results earlier this month, the Health Secretary Matt Hancock called on doctors and nurses to get their jabs saying: 'It's important for your patients and of course it is important for the whole of society that we get this to as many people as possible.'

The comments from Professor Whitty come as Boris Johnson yesterday unveiled an ultra-cautious 'roadmap' out of lockdown by June - with schools reopening in a fortnight but little else set to change for months.

Flanked by Professor Whitty and Patrick Vallance as he defended his long-awaited four-phase exit strategy at a No10 briefing, the PM stated that 'Covid zero' was not possible and the return to normality must begin even though cases will rise.

However, Mr Johnson made clear he was prioritising 'certainty over urgency', saying he is being as 'dynamic as possible in the circumstances' and the 'crocus of hope' is starting to appear.

Professor Whitty and Sir Patrick said there are still very significant numbers of people infected with Covid and going to fast risked the outbreak spiralling again.

Prof Whitty added: 'There is still a lot of people in hospital with this disease. This is not the end, but this is the point where we can have a steady, risk-based, data-driven opening up.

'But everybody must stick to the guidelines as they go through the different stages, because if we don't do that then we will get to a stage where the rates go up very high and you'll find there are people who are not protected by the vaccinations.

'These are not 100 per cent effective, as the Prime Minister said.'

The Government's chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick 'completely' agreed with Prof Whitty, adding: 'The caution of going every five weeks is very important because we need to measure so that we're not flying blind on this.

'We need to know what the impact of the opening up steps are.'

Sir Patrick also suggested that the public needs to be prepared for some restrictions, such as masks, to return next winter.

In the Commons this afternoon, Mr Johnson said the 'threat remains' from the disease and cases, hospitalisations and deaths will rise in the coming months because no vaccines can offer 100 per cent protection for the whole population.

'At every stage our decisions will be led by data not dates,' the premier told MPs.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... hitty.html


Actually he didn't say that in fairness, he said they COULD become compulsory for doctors and care workers, he's just suggesting it COULD happen and that they should be voluntarily taking the vaccines to protect the public.

Posted quickly before fully reading.




very understandable mate.... anything involving restrictions or draconian measures and the excitement gets the better of you....


:laughing6: Well done a sentence I can understand :thumbup:

A load of nonsense as usual but still a step in the right direction :laughing6:



you quite clearly failed to understand the article you posted ... :laughing5:


I understood completely, just the lines from the daily mail were a bit harsh on Whitty so I corrected them, so your back to posting nonsense that doesn't make sense :roll: :laughing6:



next time you read an article..re read it.
or even get it explained to you... :thumbup:
skidemin
 
Posts: 4699
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:45 pm

Re: No Vaccine no NHS job says Chris Whitty

Postby skidemin » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:29 am

Igovernor wrote:I have got to say it is alright for people to refuse a vaccine, that is their right, but to my mind these people are thoughtless and inconsiderate to the health of others, BUT anyone who does not have the vaccine and is working with vunerable and ill people , should not be let anywhere near them. no vaccine then no contact. If that means no work then so be it, peoples lives first :thumbup:



just hope you dont get rushed in needing emergency medical assistance and the only heroes there to treat you are ones who havent had the vaccination eh ..
or maybe shouldnt be anywhere near could wait a bit ....
skidemin
 
Posts: 4699
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:45 pm

Re: No Vaccine no NHS job says Chris Whitty

Postby bluesince62 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:30 am

WestCoastBlue wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
Igovernor wrote:I have got to say it is alright for people to refuse a vaccine, that is their right, but to my mind these people are thoughtless and inconsiderate to the health of others, BUT anyone who does not have the vaccine and is working with vunerable and ill people , should not be let anywhere near them. no vaccine then no contact. If that means no work then so be it, peoples lives first :thumbup:



It cant be alright in one breath,then thoughtless and inconsiderate in the next surely? As you say,those who wish not to take the jab,have the right to do so,so I guess all new employee's in the care/nursing profession will be required to have it,but for those who have been doing this kind of job for maybe many, many years,it will be difficult to make those people have it, if they choose not to?


I think the point is that you can refuse the jab but don't expect that to be without consequences.

There's talk about needing the jab proof for travelling and employment lawyers are just waiting for the first case of employers making it compulsory (not just health care and NHS).

The thing is, this isn't like just another flu, you don't take 10 days off work if your wife has flu to self-isolate ! So it's likely if you choose not to have the jab you might still get paid/statutory sick pay if you get the virus but unlikely they will pay you for self-isolation even though it may well still be law for you to self-isolate.



This is going to get very messy,especially for the likes of those such as mysef,who on doctors advice,cannot for varying reasons,have the jab.that is discriminatory against some people,who have chosen to follow advice to not take it? As for others who,for whatever reason refuse to take it? Who knows?
But if I to be denied travel,because of my disabilities(and serious allergic reactions are a disability) Then I will not accept it,why would I?


If your doctor also advises you against the Yellow Fever jab then you would also be denied access to multiple counties. Likewise several countries also require you to have had the Polio jab to enter.
Countries can decline you entry for a criminal record, not having a visa, not having a passport, certain occupations like military services, film crews, reporters, etc, some countries will deny you entry if you’ve visited another country they’re not to fond of. Countries have the ability to close their borders and deny you access whenever they want, the USA banned certain passports from entering a few years back and the EU closed their borders last year.

You don’t have the right to visit any country you please free of that nation’s laws. The fact is if for the next 6 months or 12 months or whatever, if a country asks for a Covid vaccine to enter then you have no choice but to accept it. Or enter the country illegally.



What a silly arguement, "no choice to accept it" :shock:
I am fully aware of certain countries requirements regards vaccines,and the criminal record etc etc,but to date I have travelled without vaccinations without hindrance,
maybe its because I research the country I am visiting, and if certain requirements are to be met, i.e yellow fever vaccines etc,then I cannot visit there,as the risks are very high for me.I also understand I am at the mercy of every countries laws, outside of the uk.
You are saying these things, as if I am an anti vaxxer for some reason? I am sure people in the same situation as myself, will contest this on grounds of discrimination, and in my personal opinion, rightly so.


So you've researched countries and discovered you aren't able to visit so you don't visit them?
And you understand you're at the mercy of a country's laws prohibiting from visiting?
So which part of "no choice to accept it" is silly? From your own admission it sounds like you've accepted vaccine restrictions before.

I'm not saying these things as if you're an anti vaxxer I'm saying these things as if you're someone who won't have the vaccine, whether that be by choice or not is irrelevant. People have already been in this position for decades and I would be surprised if any regular traveller has successfully won entry to a country on the basis of discrimination.



I shall clarify, when I said "researched" I mean I have checked to see if vaccine is required,before booking a holiday, and then realising I cannot go! So under "normal" times, I have been picky as to which countries I have visited, due to severe allergies,most jabs are dangerous to me,not my fault, but now I guess my list of countries will shrink further still.by the way, I am one of those people who you speak of (in this position for decades) so I guess I now get the point :thumbup:
Strange world eh? Being restricted from free travel etc, due to f@cking allergies, and the risks associated with most vaccines.
Guess I'll have to go on holiday by dinghy from now on :lol: ps, why would I expect entry to any country with no passport? (Not covid one) didn't know of any country that just waves you through, unless you are a refugee of course. :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62
 
Posts: 4892
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:02 am

Re: No Vaccine no NHS job says Chris Whitty

Postby bluesince62 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:45 am

Igovernor wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
Igovernor wrote:I have got to say it is alright for people to refuse a vaccine, that is their right, but to my mind these people are thoughtless and inconsiderate to the health of others, BUT anyone who does not have the vaccine and is working with vunerable and ill people , should not be let anywhere near them. no vaccine then no contact. If that means no work then so be it, peoples lives first :thumbup:



It cant be alright in one breath,then thoughtless and inconsiderate in the next surely? As you say,those who wish not to take the jab,have the right to do so,so I guess all new employee's in the care/nursing profession will be required to have it,but for those who have been doing this kind of job for maybe many, many years,it will be difficult to make those people have it, if they choose not to?


Paul I think you missed the point, although it is a persons right to refuse the jab it is still thoughtlees and inconsiderate of them as they could catch covid19 and pass it on to other members of the public. I really am sorry but even if people cannot take the vaccine I would certainly not want them to put peoples lives in danger by being in close contact with them in hospital/nursing homes etc, or in public places. You watch if people start dying after catching Covid19 after contact with someone who has not been vaccinated it will really hit the fan!


But I am not refusing,I am following medical advice.but those who wish to "abstain" etc, well that is down to the individual I guess, but it seems I and tens of thousands of others will be "thrown under the same bus" as those who are just being defiant, and the anti vaxxer, you seem to miss my point too, why should I be restricted, due to my disabilities? You say "in public places" so what, I stay indoors indefinitely, wave a large bell to warn others I'm a "danger" to them??
So what of the shit hitting the fan, if some die of covid, when they have caught it from a person who has been vaccinated? Because it isn't the "miracke" some think it is.you can still catch Covid, therefore pass it on too,after being vaccinated too.although I admit the chances of it being a bad case have diminished somewhat.
Lastly, if and when, a safe for me to take vaccine becomes available, I'm compnfident my doctor will advise me immediately. And I will follow his advice, as I have for as far back as I remember. :old: :bluebird:
bluesince62
 
Posts: 4892
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:02 am

Re: No Vaccine no NHS job says Chris Whitty

Postby WestCoastBlue » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:05 am

bluesince62 wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
WestCoastBlue wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
piledriver64 wrote:
bluesince62 wrote:
Igovernor wrote:I have got to say it is alright for people to refuse a vaccine, that is their right, but to my mind these people are thoughtless and inconsiderate to the health of others, BUT anyone who does not have the vaccine and is working with vunerable and ill people , should not be let anywhere near them. no vaccine then no contact. If that means no work then so be it, peoples lives first :thumbup:



It cant be alright in one breath,then thoughtless and inconsiderate in the next surely? As you say,those who wish not to take the jab,have the right to do so,so I guess all new employee's in the care/nursing profession will be required to have it,but for those who have been doing this kind of job for maybe many, many years,it will be difficult to make those people have it, if they choose not to?


I think the point is that you can refuse the jab but don't expect that to be without consequences.

There's talk about needing the jab proof for travelling and employment lawyers are just waiting for the first case of employers making it compulsory (not just health care and NHS).

The thing is, this isn't like just another flu, you don't take 10 days off work if your wife has flu to self-isolate ! So it's likely if you choose not to have the jab you might still get paid/statutory sick pay if you get the virus but unlikely they will pay you for self-isolation even though it may well still be law for you to self-isolate.



This is going to get very messy,especially for the likes of those such as mysef,who on doctors advice,cannot for varying reasons,have the jab.that is discriminatory against some people,who have chosen to follow advice to not take it? As for others who,for whatever reason refuse to take it? Who knows?
But if I to be denied travel,because of my disabilities(and serious allergic reactions are a disability) Then I will not accept it,why would I?


If your doctor also advises you against the Yellow Fever jab then you would also be denied access to multiple counties. Likewise several countries also require you to have had the Polio jab to enter.
Countries can decline you entry for a criminal record, not having a visa, not having a passport, certain occupations like military services, film crews, reporters, etc, some countries will deny you entry if you’ve visited another country they’re not to fond of. Countries have the ability to close their borders and deny you access whenever they want, the USA banned certain passports from entering a few years back and the EU closed their borders last year.

You don’t have the right to visit any country you please free of that nation’s laws. The fact is if for the next 6 months or 12 months or whatever, if a country asks for a Covid vaccine to enter then you have no choice but to accept it. Or enter the country illegally.



What a silly arguement, "no choice to accept it" :shock:
I am fully aware of certain countries requirements regards vaccines,and the criminal record etc etc,but to date I have travelled without vaccinations without hindrance,
maybe its because I research the country I am visiting, and if certain requirements are to be met, i.e yellow fever vaccines etc,then I cannot visit there,as the risks are very high for me.I also understand I am at the mercy of every countries laws, outside of the uk.
You are saying these things, as if I am an anti vaxxer for some reason? I am sure people in the same situation as myself, will contest this on grounds of discrimination, and in my personal opinion, rightly so.


So you've researched countries and discovered you aren't able to visit so you don't visit them?
And you understand you're at the mercy of a country's laws prohibiting from visiting?
So which part of "no choice to accept it" is silly? From your own admission it sounds like you've accepted vaccine restrictions before.

I'm not saying these things as if you're an anti vaxxer I'm saying these things as if you're someone who won't have the vaccine, whether that be by choice or not is irrelevant. People have already been in this position for decades and I would be surprised if any regular traveller has successfully won entry to a country on the basis of discrimination.



I shall clarify, when I said "researched" I mean I have checked to see if vaccine is required,before booking a holiday, and then realising I cannot go! So under "normal" times, I have been picky as to which countries I have visited, due to severe allergies,most jabs are dangerous to me,not my fault, but now I guess my list of countries will shrink further still.by the way, I am one of those people who you speak of (in this position for decades) so I guess I now get the point :thumbup:
Strange world eh? Being restricted from free travel etc, due to f@cking allergies, and the risks associated with most vaccines.
Guess I'll have to go on holiday by dinghy from now on :lol: ps, why would I expect entry to any country with no passport? (Not covid one) didn't know of any country that just waves you through, unless you are a refugee of course. :old: :bluebird:


You've still not clarified which part of my point "no choice to accept it" is a silly argument.

Why is your view on Covid vaccination "I will not accept it,why would I?" different to any other vaccination "I have checked to see if vaccine is required,before booking a holiday, and then realising I cannot go!"?

Pre Covid, a country has put a vaccination restriction in place which doesn't allow you to visit and you've accepted it. Now with talks of some countries potentially requiring a Covid vaccination to enter you're opposed to such restrictions and are prepared to fight it on grounds of discrimination.

"why would I expect entry to any country with no passport?"
Why do you expect entry to a country with no Covid vaccine if that's their requirement?
WestCoastBlue
 
Posts: 558
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:17 pm

Re: No Vaccine no NHS job says Chris Whitty

Postby welshrarebit » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:37 am

Wouldn’t be surprised. I work in healthcare and we have to have most vaccines for transmissible diseases. Hepatitis b for example
welshrarebit
 
Posts: 1073
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:34 pm

Re: No Vaccine no NHS job says Chris Whitty

Postby Bluebina » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:36 am

skidemin wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
skidemin wrote:
Bluebina wrote:
Bluebina wrote:No jab, no NHS job? Professor Chris Whitty says covid vaccines could be compulsory for medics and care staff because all workers should want to get inoculated voluntarily anyway
Having Covid jab could become compulsory for NHS workers and care workers
Professor Chris Whitty said he expects medics to take the vaccine voluntarily
Only 64 per cent of staff at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS took vaccine

A Covid jab could become compulsory for NHS workers and care home staff, as England's chief medical officer says they have a 'professional responsibility' to get vaccinated.

Speaking on Monday Professor Chris Whitty said he expects doctors and care workers to take the vaccine voluntarily, suggesting that they should want to do anything they can to reduce the risk Covid poses to their patients.

He told the government press briefing: 'My view is clearly for medical staff, where I am subject to the same code, it is a professional responsibility for doctors to do things which help protect their patients, and I expect that to be a professional responsibility for all other health and social care staff as well.'

Despite Professor Whitty's expectations a study earlier this month found that only 64 per cent of staff at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust had taken up the offer to get their first dose by February 3.

While uptake was 71 per cent in white medics, the highest of any group, it plunged to half this level in black staff. This was despite research showing BAME groups are at higher risk of serious illness and death if they catch the virus.

It was also lower among South Asians, where only 60 per cent had received their first dose.

Doctors at the trust — the only occupation with a majority of BAME employees — were also least likely to get the jab, after only 57 per cent turned up to appointments.

And under-30s were less likely to get the jab than their older colleagues, which experts feared could be down to perceptions they are not at high risk from the virus.

Asked about the results earlier this month, the Health Secretary Matt Hancock called on doctors and nurses to get their jabs saying: 'It's important for your patients and of course it is important for the whole of society that we get this to as many people as possible.'

The comments from Professor Whitty come as Boris Johnson yesterday unveiled an ultra-cautious 'roadmap' out of lockdown by June - with schools reopening in a fortnight but little else set to change for months.

Flanked by Professor Whitty and Patrick Vallance as he defended his long-awaited four-phase exit strategy at a No10 briefing, the PM stated that 'Covid zero' was not possible and the return to normality must begin even though cases will rise.

However, Mr Johnson made clear he was prioritising 'certainty over urgency', saying he is being as 'dynamic as possible in the circumstances' and the 'crocus of hope' is starting to appear.

Professor Whitty and Sir Patrick said there are still very significant numbers of people infected with Covid and going to fast risked the outbreak spiralling again.

Prof Whitty added: 'There is still a lot of people in hospital with this disease. This is not the end, but this is the point where we can have a steady, risk-based, data-driven opening up.

'But everybody must stick to the guidelines as they go through the different stages, because if we don't do that then we will get to a stage where the rates go up very high and you'll find there are people who are not protected by the vaccinations.

'These are not 100 per cent effective, as the Prime Minister said.'

The Government's chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick 'completely' agreed with Prof Whitty, adding: 'The caution of going every five weeks is very important because we need to measure so that we're not flying blind on this.

'We need to know what the impact of the opening up steps are.'

Sir Patrick also suggested that the public needs to be prepared for some restrictions, such as masks, to return next winter.

In the Commons this afternoon, Mr Johnson said the 'threat remains' from the disease and cases, hospitalisations and deaths will rise in the coming months because no vaccines can offer 100 per cent protection for the whole population.

'At every stage our decisions will be led by data not dates,' the premier told MPs.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... hitty.html


Actually he didn't say that in fairness, he said they COULD become compulsory for doctors and care workers, he's just suggesting it COULD happen and that they should be voluntarily taking the vaccines to protect the public.

Posted quickly before fully reading.




very understandable mate.... anything involving restrictions or draconian measures and the excitement gets the better of you....


:laughing6: Well done a sentence I can understand :thumbup:

A load of nonsense as usual but still a step in the right direction :laughing6:



you quite clearly failed to understand the article you posted ... :laughing5:


I understood completely, just the lines from the daily mail were a bit harsh on Whitty so I corrected them, so your back to posting nonsense that doesn't make sense :roll: :laughing6:



next time you read an article..re read it.
or even get it explained to you... :thumbup:


:laughing6: Coming from someone who can't string two sentences together and thinks Covid 19 is no worse than the flu :laughing6:
Bluebina
 
Posts: 11592
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:32 pm

Next


Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Big Hill Blue, bluelover, bluesince62, BlueView, CF72, Chris Holmes, FOOTSOLDIER, GENERAL CHAT, Google [Bot], Hopski, Majestic-12 [Bot], rontom, salopiancity, T-G-I-ROBINFRIDAY, TrueBlue99 and 349 guests

Disclaimer :
The views and comments entered in these forums are personal and are not necessarily those of the management of this board.
The management of this board is not responsible for the content of any external internet sites.