‘ John Charles ‘

A forum for all things Cardiff City

‘ John Charles ‘

Postby Forever Blue » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:38 pm

John Charles signing for Cardiff City in 1963 :bluebird: :bluebird:
Attachments
A0BFA5D2-1B38-4B15-B12B-641617686B09.jpeg
A0BFA5D2-1B38-4B15-B12B-641617686B09.jpeg (167.37 KiB) Viewed 4502 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
User avatar
Forever Blue
Admin
 
Posts: 133666
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:30 am

‘ John Charles ‘

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: ‘ John Charles ‘

Postby rumpo kid » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:07 pm

Dunno what it was about those years.. footballers looked like proper blokes. One of his sons is still knocking about in Cardiff, saw him in Canton last year.. think he’s a Teacher
rumpo kid
 
Posts: 2900
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:24 pm

Re: ‘ John Charles ‘

Postby MoodyBluebird » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:02 am

Although I did see him play for us on a few occasions, my clearest memory of him is when he officially opened our sport's hall at Llanrumney High School in the late 60's. He was a very imposing figure of a man.
MoodyBluebird
 
Posts: 380
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:33 pm

Re: ‘ John Charles ‘

Postby Fairblue27 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:35 pm

It's difficult to compare these things but he is considered by some who saw him play as the greatest British footballer of all time.
Fairblue27
 
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 8:31 am
Location: Cardiff

Re: ‘ John Charles ‘

Postby MoodyBluebird » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:10 pm

Fairblue27 wrote:It's difficult to compare these things but he is considered by some who saw him play as the greatest British footballer of all time.



Probably unique in being both a world class centre forward and centre half.
MoodyBluebird
 
Posts: 380
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:33 pm

Re: ‘ John Charles ‘

Postby Jimmy Scoular » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:54 pm

Without question the greatest Welsh footballer.Often forgot he was unfit to play against Brazil in the World Cup quarters in 1958.With him Wales could have won, Pele said as much. Go to Turin and ask any Juve fan about the man, 35 000 turned up just to see him about twenty five years ago at the stadium.What is telling for me are the top english players of the time who rated him above their own. My old man played against him in a Welsh Schools/Youth ? trial before dad died I asked him what was it like to play against him and he said he was embarassed to be on the same park.JC was two years younger than the old man !! Why have the Jacks failed to build a statue of their most famous son ??
Jimmy Scoular
 
Posts: 724
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:54 am

Re: ‘ John Charles ‘

Postby rumpo kid » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:16 pm

Nice touch by Juventus.. they invited his Family to the 2017 EC Final in Cardiff ..

Funny enough, was working by the Liberty today( first time I’ve seen it).. and there is a statue
rumpo kid
 
Posts: 2900
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:24 pm

Re: ‘ John Charles ‘

Postby stickywicket » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:27 pm

I saw him play once for Hereford Utd at Cwmbran. I would have loved to have seen him play in his hey day.
Alan Durbun had another take on the Charles signing. We were selling our younger players
Durbun Graham Moore and Barry Hole
User avatar
stickywicket
 
Posts: 2229
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:59 pm

Re: ‘ John Charles ‘

Postby skiprat » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:39 pm

Jimmy Scoular wrote:Without question the greatest Welsh footballer.Often forgot he was unfit to play against Brazil in the World Cup quarters in 1958.With him Wales could have won, Pele said as much. Go to Turin and ask any Juve fan about the man, 35 000 turned up just to see him about twenty five years ago at the stadium.What is telling for me are the top english players of the time who rated him above their own. My old man played against him in a Welsh Schools/Youth ? trial before dad died I asked him what was it like to play against him and he said he was embarassed to be on the same park.JC was two years younger than the old man !! Why have the Jacks failed to build a statue of their most famous son ??

Why would they?. He never played for Swansea.it would be like us putting up a statue to Gareth bale.
skiprat
 
Posts: 1676
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:31 pm

Re: ‘ John Charles ‘

Postby RadnorRoad » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:06 pm

If you read the book about City's European campaigns it is incredible to read the comments from the other players who just saw John Charles as someone on a completely different level to them, even at the end of his career.

Without question the #1 Welsh player ever. The Lewandowski of his day.
RadnorRoad
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:16 am

Re: ‘ John Charles ‘

Postby Warwickshire Bluebird » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:00 pm

Remember as a kid going to his sport shop to get my football repaired. He kept saying I needed a new ball. Lovely man.
Warwickshire Bluebird
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:09 pm

Re: ‘ John Charles ‘

Postby rumpo kid » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:38 pm

Remember that shop opening.. Geoff Capes was there.. wasn’t much room for anybody else
rumpo kid
 
Posts: 2900
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:24 pm

Re: ‘ John Charles ‘

Postby skiprat » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:53 pm

In rhiwbina wasn't it? One of the few places you could buy a replica shirt in those days .
skiprat
 
Posts: 1676
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:31 pm

Re: ‘ John Charles ‘

Postby Warwickshire Bluebird » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:14 am

You’re right. On Heol y Deri.
Warwickshire Bluebird
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:09 pm

Re: ‘ John Charles ‘

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:45 am

Questionably Britain's greatest footballer had it all as centre forward and defender something no other British player could boast! Certainly worthy of a statue in his home town at least.
User avatar
pembroke allan
 
Posts: 24319
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Cardiff

Re: ‘ John Charles ‘

Postby skidemin » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:53 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Questionably Britain's greatest footballer had it all as centre forward and defender something no other British player could boast! Certainly worthy of a statue in his home town at least.



seems they did think about it ....
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wale ... ue-2451521

in 2004
skidemin
 
Posts: 5186
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:45 pm

Re: ‘ John Charles ‘

Postby MoodyBluebird » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:40 pm

He officially opened our sport's hall at Llanrumney High School in the late 60's and looked every inch the superstar he was.
MoodyBluebird
 
Posts: 380
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:33 pm

Re: ‘ John Charles ‘

Postby nojac » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:39 pm

If he was English , the English media would have said that he was better than Pele (which he was)
User avatar
nojac
 
Posts: 1351
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:11 pm

Re: ‘ John Charles ‘

Postby bluesince62 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:43 pm

skiprat wrote:
Jimmy Scoular wrote:Without question the greatest Welsh footballer.Often forgot he was unfit to play against Brazil in the World Cup quarters in 1958.With him Wales could have won, Pele said as much. Go to Turin and ask any Juve fan about the man, 35 000 turned up just to see him about twenty five years ago at the stadium.What is telling for me are the top english players of the time who rated him above their own. My old man played against him in a Welsh Schools/Youth ? trial before dad died I asked him what was it like to play against him and he said he was embarassed to be on the same park.JC was two years younger than the old man !! Why have the Jacks failed to build a statue of their most famous son ??

Why would they?. He never played for Swansea.it would be like us putting up a statue to Gareth bale.



Well anuerin bevan didnt live in cardiff?? Its where he is from is the point I think the poster is making? So gareth bale on queen st please! Lol.
bluesince62
 
Posts: 5169
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:02 am



Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Crayfish, Frosty_Blue, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], maccydee, pembroke allan, TERRYB and 223 guests

Disclaimer :
The views and comments entered in these forums are personal and are not necessarily those of the management of this board.
The management of this board is not responsible for the content of any external internet sites.