Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Why so many double barrel surnames?

Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:02 pm

What is the new trend of having double barrel surnames for? Watching SSN yesterday and every other scorer seems to have this, it wasn't that common years ago but now it's the norm, any reason?

Signed. Jasper Ponsonby-Lampshade-Smythe.

Re: Why so many double barrel surnames?

Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:18 pm

People not wanting to take their partner’s surname I would imagine. As society becomes less patriarchal it’s probably become more common to opt for the double barrelled name instead of dropping/taking one.

Just a guess though.

Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:26 pm

Two mums or dads is why.

It’s the increase in homosexual couples bringing up children. It results in an increase in double barrelled surnames.

Not an issue with it at all.

Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:17 pm

Probably the mother is unsure of the father, so picks 2 random surnames from the known "possible" list, and hopes she is close to getting it right. :thumbup:

Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:04 pm

If it's to keep both parents surnames, I'd like to know what will happen a couple of generations down the line? Will they be having quadruple or quintruple surnames? (if that's a word). :lol:

Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:18 pm

It was once posh, so now people think they are posh by having one. It will go out of fashion one day, plus all the reasons above.

It does future proof with so many marriages failing, I suppose if the parents split up, the mother can go back to her maiden name and the child will still carry some of her name?

Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:04 am

BLUE54 wrote:If it's to keep both parents surnames, I'd like to know what will happen a couple of generations down the line? Will they be having quadruple or quintruple surnames? (if that's a word). :lol:

indeed... youre going to end up with people called Scarlett white-green black- brown etc..
mental....